Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 00:16   #16

Re: Puncture frauds - How do they work?

I have had a similar bad experience in Mumbai, on JVLR Road, exact opposite the turn for Mahakali Caves Road. This petrol pump was a regular one for me, thanks to its proximity, and as is my practice, went over to check tyre pressure after refueling. Imagine my shock when suddenly, the guy says there is a puncture. I was a bit too naive and unsuspecting, so asked him to change it. And lo within the next 15mins the guy in front of my eyes detects not one but 3 different punctures. All three looked like just normal stones stuck in the treads (car was at just about 15k mms then), but the guy kept poking in with their needle shaped tool, till he went through the tyre claiming puncture.
It was my first ever such experience, late night and i just ended up staying there like a fool seeing him "dig" away.
ended up paying 300 bucks, but never ever go back to this petrol pump ever again. I don't mind traveling a few extra kms, but never again! Also, have now gone through the thread here on replacing tires a bit more carefully and thoroughly!
Old 28th August 2012, 01:02   #17
BHPian

i believe its a rampant malpractice at roadside repair shop. i live in navi mumbai and have have suffered myself. I went to a local shop with one of my front tyres having a leak and came back with two tyres repaired for 14 leaks and two damaged valves. Actually there is nothing you can do to stop it. Usually these garages have at least 4-5 people working. When one of them is repairing your tyre someone else is damaging the remaining ones. Finally was frustrated and took the car to the michelin brand shop. They checked the tyres but advised to get the two tyres replaced. Since these tyres have multiple leaks (at least half a dozen each) there is no other option. Cost of learning is going to touch 10 thousand.
sidmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 09:14   #18
BHPian

Guys.
In the last 10 days. I've had my cars tire punctured twice because of some parking issue where I live. I had to get the tube changed both the times.The first time the right front tire, I took it to a roadside guy. He tested it, it had one pin hole on the side and a biggish leak/tear near the valve. I had the tube changed. The guy said its possible that the tubes are old, and I've driven it with a puncture. I hadn't driven it a cm with the puncture. Anyway, had the tube changed.

The second time, my rear left tire was punctured. The car stood with the flat for a night. Didn't drive it an inch, changed the tire. At another slightly better established petrol pump tireplace. The guy checks the tube. There was one pin hole and again a tear, gash near the valve. Reason i got this time was the valve happened to be underneath the tire when it went flat. Thats why the valve and the lining got spoilt. Had to get the tube changed again.

I just blamed my luck till my dad came home and said I'm probably being taken for a ride and how the hell do the tubes get spoilt with a puncture. Now, I'm feeling bad about it. Is there some malpractice. Counting the two recent punctures, I've had 3 punctures in total this year. All three times I've had to replace tubes. Its got me thinking. Something does'nt add up. Everytime I get a puncture am i supposed to pay 300-350 for a tube and not the usual 30 bucks to have it repaired? This is some racket!!
A friend of mines accent had a puncture, next i hear he had to replace a tube too.
My cars a santro xing btw.
Old 28th August 2012, 10:42   #19
BHPian

I have a Spark.
My rear left tire started losing air so I took it to the puncture guy after filling up air at the petrol pump. The petrol pump guy himself suggested me to go to this puncture wala guy.
I was in a hurry to go somewhere so promptly went to get it repaired. The guy discovered 3 punctures and repaired them for Rs 120 each. Then he said that both the front valves have gone and replaced them at Rs 220 each.

I have been driving since a year and this is the first time that my car faced a puncture so I couldn't find out whether he was pulling a fast one on me.

Next time when I went to fill up petrol at the same pump, the guy again said that the front tire valve is gone and I need to replace it and suggested me to go to the same puncture guy.

I think this is how they operate. Also the pump guy looked kinda similar to the puncture wala at the opposite side of the road. Maybe they are brothers .
Old 28th August 2012, 11:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
The petrol pump guy himself suggested me to go to this puncture wala guy.
What this petrol pump at SV Road, Malad?
Old 28th August 2012, 11:35   #21
BHPian

No it is at link road, kandivali. It is a bp coco pump mostly and there's a puncture guy bang opposite the pump.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

I never rush to get the valves repaired/ replaced , whenever the guy filling air in my car's tyres at the fuel station tell me to do so & visually check the same regularly & repaired only if necessary.

I have also kept the tubes of my older tube tyres, & in one case when the puncture repair guy told me there are more punctures in ny tubeless tyre, I asked him to put the tube, later on at the time of alignment & balancing I got the tyre checked only to be informed that there were no punctures & the tube went back to dicky... so I feel that these guys create holes in your tyres & pockets right in front of your eyes .
Old 28th August 2012, 16:55   #23
BHPian

Dear all,
my strategy in such scenario is to always carry new good quality spare tube bought at auto parts shop.
Tubeless tire user can also buy valves at spare shop and keep it.

Puncture shop make more money when you buy products from them at inflated prices.

If more than 3 puncture i just change tube and pay only of tube change.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

The way it seems to be done is with nails inside the water tub. When the tyre is immersed inside the tub, it is pushed down hard, introducing holes in the sidewalls.

The solution is to get just air filled up again and go to the nearest tyre dealer outlet, that makes money on selling tyres, and not on the repairs as the roadside chaps do.

One of my tyres is ruined and now serves as an emergency spare, to be put back in the boot once the punctured tyre is fixed.

And I know of two places where this has happened. One, next to E square, another in Baner. I suspect this is wide spread.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 13:50   #25
BHPian

One of the repaired punctures near the side wall of my 30,000 kms + old tyre came off, the dealer though has plugged it using two plugs, but recommends either changing the tyre or using a tube, if I opt for a tube, this tyre will serve the purpose of a spare emergency tyre. Any other suggestions ?
Shall I go for Slime ?
Old 25th September 2012, 14:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The way it seems to be done is with nails inside the water tub. When the tyre is immersed inside the tub, it is pushed down hard, introducing holes in the sidewalls.
Ohh yes.. this can be a possibility. I never thought the puncture repair guys can go to this length.
Thanks for sharing this. This point will go in my checklist when I go for a puncture repair next time.
Old 25th September 2012, 14:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

I suffered the same feat when my car was hardly 3-4k kms old. I got multiple punctures just after the illegal toll naka at Paud - Mulshi Road.

I think keeping a spare tube is a good idea. If the punctures are more than 3 or 5, it is definitely suspicious and its better to have it checked at proper tire shops.

One puncturewalla in Karve nagar near Shivaji Putla was hell bent to prove that a little cut on the tire was a puncture and all eager to push that sharp pointer in the tire. Literally had to stop him doing so. Damn these guys love poking around new tires :(
Old 25th September 2012, 14:31   #28
BHPian

For anyone heading towards Lavasa/Mulshi: Very fishy "punchaar" guy at the petrol bunk very close to the Hotel Ti-Tu (LOL!) on the Pune-Mulshi highway. This guy seems to have a permanent queue of unsuspecting travelers awaiting their turn getting scammed. Unfortunately I've been a victim too, twice! Seems like the usual nails-on-the-road trick. Hell, the guy doesn't even spare seasoned truckers!
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I has a similar experience on Sunday while returning from Fort Jadhavgarh (btw a great place to visit) to Bombay. I was on the first flyover after rejoining the Poona bypass (I think this is the Sinhagad road flyover) when the TPMS on my Superb acted up. I saw a puncture guy just a little after the end of the flyover, and stopped. He claimed there was no air in the left rear tyre. A quick inspection revealed two nails in it. I was not suspicious at this point, since the road between Hadpasar Saswad road and the bypass had a very poor surface. He repaired these two punctures, and the claimed that the valve had failed too, allegedly because I had driven without air. I got a bit suspicious as I had stopped within 500 metres of the TPMS warning. He replaced the valve, and then tested the tyre with water, and found 4 more side wall punctures. I had half a mind to cut losses then, but decided to get it repaired as I had a long drive ahead. Damages worked out to Rs. 1300. Looks like this was the same con game. Need to get the tyre replaced as well.

Is the an issue with changing just one tyre? And should I stick to the Goodyear NCT 5 or go for something else?
Old 10th October 2012, 13:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I has a similar experience on Sunday while returning from Fort Jadhavgarh (btw a great place to visit) to Bombay. I was on the first flyover after rejoining the Poona bypass (I think this is the Sinhagad road flyover) when the TPMS on my Superb acted up. I saw a puncture guy just a little after the end of the flyover, and stopped. He claimed there was no air in the left rear tyre. A quick inspection revealed two nails in it. I was not suspicious at this point, since the road between Hadpasar Saswad road and the bypass had a very poor surface. He repaired these two punctures, and the claimed that the valve had failed too, allegedly because I had driven without air. I got a bit suspicious as I had stopped within 500 metres of the TPMS warning. He replaced the valve, and then tested the tyre with water, and found 4 more side wall punctures. I had half a mind to cut losses then, but decided to get it repaired as I had a long drive ahead. Damages worked out to Rs. 1300. Looks like this was the same con game. Need to get the tyre replaced as well.
Yes, Puncture repair guys started to poke in side walls during air filling/check. This way they are more benefitting the Tyre Sellers than themselves.

On precautionary basis Started filling 4-5psi more air than recommended in petrol pumps, then check with next day at home with my own pressure gauge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks