Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 11:27   #1
BHPian

Nail in the tyre, yet no loss of air pressure. What to do?

I am running ES501 dB Series on my SX4 for about 30k kms now - wonderful set of tyres, no issues whatsoever.

2 days ago, when I was getting the air topped up, the guy showed me a nail lodged in one of the tyres. It had gone in, with the nail head sitting flush with the outer tyre surface.

Here is the strange part - there is no loss of air on that tyre. It holds the set pressure well. This probably means that the nail has not gone through. What do I do now?
1. Pull the nail out - force a puncture through - and then seal it.
2. Leave it as it is - as technically the nail has not punctured the tyre. It is unlikely to - as the nail head is already sitting flush and will probably not go in any further.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Nail in the tyre, yet no loss of air pressure. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
I am running ES501 dB Series on my SX4 for about 30k kms now - wonderful set of tyres, no issues whatsoever.

2 days ago, when I was getting the air topped up, the guy showed me a nail lodged in one of the tyres. It had gone in, with the nail head sitting flush with the outer tyre surface.

Here is the strange part - there is no loss of air on that tyre. It holds the set pressure well. This probably means that the nail has not gone through. What do I do now?
1. Pull the nail out - force a puncture through - and then seal it.
2. Leave it as it is - as technically the nail has not punctured the tyre. It is unlikely to - as the nail head is already sitting flush and will probably not go in any further.
If the nail has gone in then the tyre will be losing some amount of pressure. It may be a miniscule amount but it will definitely be losing air. To confirm how much air it is losing you will have to monitor that tyre on a daily basis for 3 - 4 days.

And if the nail has not gone through the different tyre layers, it would be best to still get it removed. You may not need to force a puncture and then repair it. You will have to take this decision once the nail is out.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 11:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is what the tubeless tyres are designed to do, prevent rapid air pressure loss.

You don't need to worry about it, except keep an eye on the air pressure loss. If you are still concerned, you can get the nail removed and get it fixed.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Had a similar experience, check my thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vic-vmt-9.html).

Although the loss of air is minimal and sometimes not noticeable but it still is dangerous at highway speeds as the Nail can keep getting pushed in and eventually spoil the tyre.

Please get it attended to asap.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:43   #5
BHPian

Get rid of the nail,its potentially dangerous.Once its out you can check if your losing air or not.With the nail lodged in chances are it may damage the tyre more by poking more deeper and eventually could even lead to a tyre burst at the damaged area.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:45   #6
BHPian

Agree with above. Pull it out even if you have to force a puncture. The nail could ruin the tire due to the flexing of rubber around it.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Re: Nail in the tyre, yet no loss of air pressure. What to do?

This is a no brainer! Remove the nail ASAP, it is a potential danger waiting to happen. Even if there is a puncture, it will not cost you much.

I am really not sure, what you are worried about!
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:11   #8
BHPian

I had the same experience. I have driven my car with nails in for around 200 kms .I did notice loss of pressure in 2 -3 days of top up. But it was minimal. Checked the tyre from outside and did not notice the nail. But after reaching my native and when I went for top up, the guy at the service centre noticed a nail on the inner side wall.

Removed and repaired.Filled in Nitrogen again. Tubeless tyre helps a lot in this scenario.

So the best thing is to remove the nail rather waiting for it pierce the tyre and eventually will make a puncture. Also it is always there in back of your mind when you drive on highways. So better get rid of it and have a pleasant driving.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:14   #9
BHPian

Please get it repaired ASAP. As, it's a single nail in question here, the repair for the same should not cost more than 150 bucks.

I guess, that's a fair price to pay for one's peace of mind and also to do away with the air top up trips
Old 21st December 2012, 14:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had 1 nail each in the rear tyres. Using a screw driver, i removed one(i did not have a plier) and checked the spot with a soap solution. No air leak. This happened before a month, still no loss of pressure.

When i removed the nail on the other tyre, air started to leak, so i had to repair it.

So it is better to ask the puncture repair guy to remove it.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Please get it repaired ASAP. As, it's a single nail in question here, the repair for the same should not cost more than 150 bucks.

I guess, that's a fair price to pay for one's peace of mind and also to do away with the air top up trips

150 for a Puncture repair? , the tyre repair kit with the plunger thing costs 100Rs in delhi comes with 5 punctures

if one gets the tyre wala to use their own stuff then it costs 30-50 for a single puncture here in north, and if you give your stuff then it costs 10rs.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
150 for a Puncture repair? , the tyre repair kit with the plunger thing costs 100Rs in delhi comes with 5 punctures

if one gets the tyre wala to use their own stuff then it costs 30-50 for a single puncture here in north, and if you give your stuff then it costs 10rs.
Man, that's really cheap out there in that case. I shelled out 125 bucks for a single puncture. I fished around a bit for someone who would give me the best quote and finally, got it done at 125/-. All swindlers around, i tell you !!!

@Bhpians in Mumbai, is that a standard price or was i cheated?
Old 21st December 2012, 15:14   #13
BANNED

Two things:
1. Get to a place which is convenient for repairs as soon as convenient.
2. Remove the nail and repair if required.
Old 21st December 2012, 17:37   #14
BHPian

Well this kind of tubeless puncture repair costs Rs. 60 in my city all inclusive! I would suggest to remove the nail asap. If it was in my car, Even though the air leakage might be negligible, I could not bear the fact that there is an iron nail in one of the tyres and it can potentially damage it. It is a Risky affair. At high speeds, the nail might get hot and penetrate further very easily.
Old 4th April 2016, 11:13   #15
BHPian

Bumping an old thread. Day before Yesterday, our Octavia was out of town when it threw the TPMS warning for low pressure in the rear left tyre. I asked the driver to get the air checked and reset the TPMS with the new values. The car came back home after ~80kms and there wasn't any loss of pressure overnight. Yesterday it again had to be taken for a 400km trip and no error was thrown by the TPMS and there wasn't any loss in air pressure either.
Today morning when I was cleaning the car, I happened to spot a nail in the same tyre. I'm attaching a pic for reference. It seems to have gone quite into the thread. What should be done in this case? Please help. TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Nail in the tyre, yet no loss of air pressure. What to do?-image.jpeg  

Most Viewed