Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 11:32   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I have had a great experience with tirerack since i first used them in 1994! Curious Karan, what about stuff like tires meant for first markets US and or EU having M+S (mud and snow) visa vi tropical tires for India...etc. Are tires now universal in compound no matter where you use them? Always figured tires sold in the US were not meant for india?! Do enlighten us. I was asked to watch out for this when buying cheap high end tires in india stating that they were cheap because they were not meant for Indian climate/roads, I am talking 10 years ago perhaps out dated/ not current
Rightly said, there can be confusion arising from the wide variety available on TireRack.

In my case i selected "Max Performance Summer Tire" which was clearly the best option for India as the other range will be in all season types.

Also the SuperSports what i ordered are seen on the BMW M5 currently on sale in India so that gave me confidence in my selection

Last edited by karan561 : 29th April 2013 at 11:34.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:59   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

After Ferrari 599 GTO & BMW M models now Porsche has chosen the Michelin Pilot Super Sports as the choice of tire to be fitted for their new Panamera range

My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA-allnewporschepanameramodelstocomewithmichelintires617147.jpg

Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/al...res-61714.html

Last edited by karan561 : 21st June 2013 at 13:01.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 16:13   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed BIBENDUM (Michelin man) on the edge of the tread & beginning of the side wall;

My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA-image2032307599.jpg

Kinda cute IMO

Last edited by karan561 : 7th March 2014 at 16:14.
karan561 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 07:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Noticed BIBENDUM (Michelin man) on the edge of the tread & beginning of the side wall;
It is there in all Michelin tyres. I have it on the XM2 on our Swift.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 16:34   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It is there in all Michelin tyres. I have it on the XM2 on our Swift.
Hey thanks for that input

Checked my Scala's PLC's sidewall today & noticed the Michelin man there too
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 08:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Just want to chime in that the Adaptive M suspension cannot be retrofitted even here in the US. You need to get Dynamic Handling Package when you order the car, if you want it.

What can be retrofitted is the M Performance Suspension which is even better (lower, stiffer) than even the Adaptive M suspension in its tightest setting. This one is track-oriented, completely eliminates body roll and is totally worth every penny (costs around $3k including labor) for the retrofit.

Your car looks great, Karan! I'm looking forward to the Michelin PSS as well!
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 09:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Problems faced in the STOCK RFT setup;

Sidewall bubble @ 2500 km;

where in my tire was literally stabbed with this;

If the bubble was bad luck this was worse.

The above incidents triggered of the need to switch from the RFTs to Tubeless
I am a bit late in asking but was just browsing through your thread. Wasn't your car covered under BMW Secure at the time of these incidents? The tyres should have been replaced under that with a nominal cost to be paid by you.

Also in case of the bubble developing within such a short span of time, didn't you try claiming warranty from Good year?
Old 29th April 2014, 11:27   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Your car looks great, Karan! I'm looking forward to the Michelin PSS as well!
Thanks, well the PSS' will solve all the problems you are facing with the runflats be it handling related or be it ride comfort, keep us updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am a bit late in asking but was just browsing through your thread. Wasn't your car covered under BMW Secure at the time of these incidents? The tyres should have been replaced under that with a nominal cost to be paid by you.

Also in case of the bubble developing within such a short span of time, didn't you try claiming warranty from Good year?
Hi Mohit,

Yes had secure but they were asking to keep the car for minimum of 3-4 days at their workshop for the formalities which i was not comfortable with & hence just bought the tire.

2nd time when i had an irreparable puncture the RFT was not in stock, hence took the opportunity to change all 4 to tubeless type
Old 29th April 2014, 13:28   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes had secure but they were asking to keep the car for minimum of 3-4 days at their workshop for the formalities which i was not comfortable with & hence just bought the tire.

2nd time when i had an irreparable puncture the RFT was not in stock, hence took the opportunity to change all 4 to tubeless type
And what is the effect on the warranty of the car? Also I am very apprehensive taking the stock tyres on my 3 over bad roads. How do you manage to do the same on these low profile tyres?
Old 29th April 2014, 14:24   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
a small question , isn't the tyres without Isi mark are banned to import in India ?
Yes, you cannot import them to "sell".
For personal imports there is no ban
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 22:24   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
And what is the effect on the warranty of the car? Also I am very apprehensive taking the stock tyres on my 3 over bad roads. How do you manage to do the same on these low profile tyres?
Warranty of the car is intact, as far as the tires are concerned, the Michelins come with their own warranty.

Driving the car around town in Mumbai roads is tough but you get used to it once you know the roads & the expected bad patches. Crawling speed over deep pot holes is a must, badly laid fly over expansion joints are scary too so good to go slow over them, sharp concrete uneven patches are tricky too, rest its all on the luck.

Also regular tire pressure checks are a must (once in 15 days or before & after a long trip)
Old 30th April 2014, 10:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, well the PSS' will solve all the problems you are facing with the runflats be it handling related or be it ride comfort, keep us updated
Sure will do! In fact I'm holding myself from doing a review/report on the car till I've done a minimum set of mods on it and got it to the shape I like .
Old 24th July 2014, 21:21   #58
BHPian

Alright my hunt for Continentals for my Fortuner are driving me crazy. Leaning towards General Grabber post your feedback Karan. Possible route through tyrerack.com too. Surprised to know that my friendly neighborhood tyrewala does not have equipment for replacing 17's !
Ahmed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 21:25   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Alright my hunt for Continentals for my Fortuner are driving me crazy. Leaning towards General Grabber post your feedback Karan. Possible route through tyrerack.com too. Surprised to know that my friendly neighborhood tyrewala does not have equipment for replacing 17's !
Hi ahmed,

General Grabber is a good tire too, you may go ahead with them.

All the best for your import
Old 27th August 2014, 11:15   #60
BHPian

Good work with the import. My buddy did the same for his Phantom but customs did a whole lot of drama as they wanted excess. I guess it depends on the officer the courier ends up dealing with.

Most Viewed