Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 16:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Any update on your current tyre debacle? I have put off importing a set of Pilot Super Sport tyres for my M3 for the past six months because of multiple reports I have received from various people about issues they are facing with customs in this regard.

I feel something needs to be done, on an official level, to ensure that end users are not needlessly harassed this way just for wanting tyres for our cars. It is bad enough that they are not available locally and people have to resort to this nonsense to begin with.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:15   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Any update

No new update except that on my way back to India. I spoke with a senior custom officer at IGI airport and he assured that there is no issue for personal import but if the custom guy assessing wants to create problem then he can.

I will be carrying 2 tires in any case as luggage in few weeks, guess that is the only option.

I will fight for tires stuck in customs. Let's see.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:38   #108
Team-BHP Support

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
I spoke with a senior custom officer at IGI airport and he assured that there is no issue for personal import but if the custom guy assessing wants to create problem then he can
I could not find the letter I used for Iphone but have PM you contact details of broker we use, try reaching him. Though they charge little higher I believe they should be able to clear.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 14:59   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I could not find the letter I used for Iphone but have PM you contact details of broker we use, try reaching him. Though they charge little higher I believe they should be able to clear.
Thanks. A fellow BHPian helped with the format. The tires are still under clearance, I will reach out to your contact in case of any issue.
Old 15th June 2016, 18:30   #110
Senior - BHPian

Good luck with the clearance and do let us know what it all worked-out to and how it went, once you have them!
Old 20th June 2016, 18:42   #111
BHPian

Here is the update: against all odds, I fought with the system and the tires are in my custody. They tried their best to extract money but I paid double penalty instead of bribing anyone. Here is the quick sequence of events:
-Order place with TireRack on 26-May
-Tyres dispatched on 31-May
-Consignment reached Delhi on 6-June. FedEx called and confirmed all good and tires will be delivered same evening. Got a call in evening that it is stuck in Cargo mode in customs. They had 4 airway bills with separate invoice but FedEx goofed up and clubbed everything together.
-Tons of documents requested by FedEx and advised to hire their CHA to help. FedEx team was unresponsive and found them lacking in any support. I paid them a hefty sum only for the support and straight forward clearance.
- Found a common friend and connected with FedEx's country head in India. He immediately had his team on the job and his team themselves guided us on all documentation as an individual (non importer). Their CHA also got legal advice and presented a water tight case to customs. The Bill of Entry (BOE) was filed on 13-June.
- On 16-June a hefty penalty was imposed and FedEx informed that all is clear now.
- On 18-June got another mail and call from FedEx that even after deposit of duty, fine and penalty, the releasing custom officer has blocked consignment for want of BSI document. By this time I had lost all my patience. Got number of deputy commissioners involved, called them directly and gave them fear of God, lambasted for bothering even after hefty penalty. Finally a conference call along with a very senior customs officer did the trick. Tire release orders were secured in 15 minutes.
My Learning -should not have believed an honest system and should have done this call long ago.
-20 June, tyres are finally delivered today.

The good news: if you have patience to deal with a corrupt system then you can quote my BOE and can get tires for personal use without BIS requirement.

Cost of tires: $800
Air Freight: $950
Duties and fine: ₹70,000

My smile and car readiness for Raid: Priceless!

Phew!!

My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA-imageuploadedbyteambhp1466427271.067983.jpg

Last edited by rishi_kapoor : 20th June 2016 at 19:06. Reason: typo
rishi_kapoor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 20:33   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
The good news: if you have patience to deal with a corrupt system then you can quote my BOE and can get tires for personal use without BIS requirement.
Congrats, finally the tyres arrived

So BF Goodrich eh, definitely worth the struggle. So these are for your X5 ?

Last edited by karan561 : 20th June 2016 at 20:36.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 20:59   #113
BHPian

Yes Karan, they are for my X5M (it is M performance kitted now, not the body kit but intercooler and twin turbo upgrade along with header and multiple ECUs). I will take it to Mughal rally for test next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Congrats, finally the tyres arrived

So BF Goodrich eh, definitely worth the struggle. So these are for your X5 ?
rishi_kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 21:24   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes Karan, they are for my X5M (it is M performance kitted now, not the body kit but intercooler and twin turbo upgrade along with header and multiple ECUs). I will take it to Mughal rally for test next month.
Did BMW install the kit for you? Also as far as I know there are no headers, but rather an intercooler, new ecu and larger front brakes.
Old 20th June 2016, 21:36   #115
BHPian

My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Did BMW install the kit for you? Also as far as I know there are no headers, but rather an intercooler, new ecu and larger front brakes.

Akshay, it's a combination. Don't forget, I am a special Bimmer customer

Header is required (a different part number for X5M) to accommodate changed components, it does not add to performance add as far as I know.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 21:50   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
WOW

That sounds crazy man, do share the pictures of your X5 after the tyres are installed
Old 20th June 2016, 22:22   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay, it's a combination. Don't forget, I am a special Bimmer customer

Header is required (a different part number for X5M) to accommodate changed components, it does not add to performance add as far as I know.
That's great to know. But they were harping on about how its illegal. Though I did hear they were about to launch it. Maybe you were the first

How much did you pay for it if you don't mind?

Trust me, if this is the M performance power kit there is only the intercooler, ecu and larger brakes. Nothing else.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 09:08   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That's great to know. But they were harping on about how its illegal. Though I did hear they were about to launch it. Maybe you were the first

How much did you pay for it if you don't mind?

Trust me, if this is the M performance power kit there is only the intercooler, ecu and larger brakes. Nothing else.

Akshay, it is not a straight forward M performance power kit but various components chosen for my rally use. These are not available through BMW India. I got some parts from Germany (through BMW india) and some through BMW China. There is a lot of build left which is focussed on extraction of maximum torque, rally performance (as against track performance which is M power kit focus). For example I have not changed to Brembo brakes because this would mean change of wheels to 19 inch which will defeat my purpose. I would had preferred 17 inch wheels to have more sidewall but had to live with 18 inch and thus the entire AT tire issue which lead to import. Hope this clarifies.

Warranty is the last thing on my mind
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 13:36   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay, it is not a straight forward M performance power kit but various components chosen for my rally use. These are not available through BMW India. I got some parts from Germany (through BMW india) and some through BMW China. There is a lot of build left which is focussed on extraction of maximum torque, rally performance (as against track performance which is M power kit focus). For example I have not changed to Brembo brakes because this would mean change of wheels to 19 inch which will defeat my purpose. I would had preferred 17 inch wheels to have more sidewall but had to live with 18 inch and thus the entire AT tire issue which lead to import. Hope this clarifies.

Warranty is the last thing on my mind
Now I am even more interested. Hoping for more details into these parts, and even a full thread/build log
Old 21st June 2016, 16:07   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cost of tires: $800
Air Freight: $950
Duties and fine: ₹70,000
I might have to take you up on that offer as I am finding it hard to get tyres for my RS5 locally. The total cost of a set of 4 tyres on tirerack.com is approx $1300.
What additional costs would I incur to arrive to get an approx landed final cost?
And how does one go about placing the order as the tirerack website does not have an option to select India as a destination.

Also, what is BOE?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks