Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2016, 17:33   #121
BHPian

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Yokohama V105;

Size: 245/40 R18
Made In Japan
Date of Manufacturing: 5015 (December 2015)
Price: Rs 21,000/Tyre (With Bill)
Sourced them from Tire Right, Bhandup (west)
Karan, how is Yoko V105 in comparison to PSS? (In terms of comfort especially)
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:26   #122
Team-BHP Support

Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
Also, what is BOE?
Bill of Entry ,

I will suggest you to try getting tyres individually , perhaps order just one first and when you get this delivered order more in singles after a gap of say 3-4 days. That way these might get cleared automatically in courier mode.You might have to pay for higher courier charges, though.

If you order all of these together in one shipment these will get converted to Cargo mode, if you want to take that chance then better get it cleared by your own CHA ( Clearing agent ) - clearing guys of FedEx / DHL are so lousy .

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd June 2016 at 18:29.
Old 22nd June 2016, 23:28   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I might have to take you up on that offer as I am finding it hard to get tyres for my RS5 locally. The total cost of a set of 4 tyres on tirerack.com is approx $1300.

What additional costs would I incur to arrive to get an approx landed final cost?

And how does one go about placing the order as the tirerack website does not have an option to select India as a destination.

Also, what is BOE?

You will have to add freight to the cost of tires, add 40% duty and penalty could be anything. It doesn't make sense until all options in India are exhausted. Will surely help you. I am out of country right now. Let's connect after 5th July.

BOE is Bill of Entry, this refers to set of documents filed in Indian customs to get the cargo released.
Old 24th June 2016, 13:18   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Karan, how is Yoko V105 in comparison to PSS? (In terms of comfort especially)
Hey Ajay,

Michelins in my mind are still more comfortable than these Yokohamas.

Other aspects the Yoko's are as good as the Michelins, infact their wet weather performance is better than Michelins.

My full report of these Yokohama V105s would be made & put up shortly

Last edited by karan561 : 24th June 2016 at 13:25.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 04:30   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I might have to take you up on that offer as I am finding it hard to get tyres for my RS5 locally. The total cost of a set of 4 tyres on tirerack.com is approx $1300.
What additional costs would I incur to arrive to get an approx landed final cost?
And how does one go about placing the order as the tirerack website does not have an option to select India as a destination.

Also, what is BOE?
Ask Audi how much the tyres will cost. It looks like the car manufacturer's dealers are the only viable option to buy tyres now, as ridiculous as this is.
Old 29th June 2016, 17:44   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Ask Audi how much the tyres will cost. It looks like the car manufacturer's dealers are the only viable option to buy tyres now, as ridiculous as this is.
Audi gave some ridiculous pricing of 65k per tyre when I checked last.

Finally, managed to get a set of Michelin PS2's fitted for 27k a tyre. They are 2015 MFD as per my tyre guy (how do I verify this by the marking on the tyres?).
Sweet deal, works out nearly the same pricing as tirerack.com wherein the same tyre is available for 391$: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
If I did order them online and ship them to India, I would have to pay 30% duty plus 900$ shipping which would nearly double the cost per tyre to 55k each!

I am keeping my existing tyres in my garage since they have only been used for 16k kms. I changed them as they had turned hard and leaky with age.

Only downside is that the new tyres have a load index of 94 whereas the older ones had a load index of 98. However, I don't see this as an issue since the kerb weight of the car is 1700kgs and total load index at 94 is 2680(670 per tyre) which is nearly a 1000kg additional capacity.

The only other options I could find in the market were Pirelli P.Zero's which had a pretty low overall rating compared to the Michelins. These were available officially from Pirelli for 37k with warranty which was an added advantage. But the Pirelli sales rep indicated that the warranty on low profile tyres is highly subjective. Hence there was no point in me paying extra for something that won't come of use.

Last edited by Sahil : 29th June 2016 at 18:04.
Old 29th June 2016, 22:14   #127
Senior - BHPian

The date of manufacture will be on the sidewall xxyy where xx is the week and yy is the year.

65k is absurd. Something needs to be done about the current state of affairs. Where did you source your PS2 from? Also I would be VERY careful about going lower on the load index of the tyre than what your OE tyre was. That is not at all advisable. If your previous tyres had a higher load index because they were not the OE tyre, it's less of an issue, but otherwise not recommended at all.

And even the Pirellis are stupidly priced. Utterly ridiculous.
Old 30th June 2016, 11:05   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
\]

Where did you source your PS2 from? Also I would be VERY careful about going lower on the load index of the tyre than what your OE tyre was. That is not at all advisable. If your previous tyres had a higher load index because they were not the OE tyre, it's less of an issue, but otherwise not recommended at all.

And even the Pirellis are stupidly priced. Utterly ridiculous.
I got them from Saifee tyres in Santacruz. Been buying tyres from them for over a decade. He manages to always sources my requirements and even after shopping around, his rates are usually most competitive.

I had the same apprehension on the load index, however I did the math(see below) before taking the plunge as I had no choice but to get the 94 at this point due to availability. I have checked in the past for my size tyres and yet only found 94Y for some reason no one seems to import the 98.

Kerb weight of the RS5 = 1725kg
Weight distribution is 41(rear) & 59 (front,yes it is nose heavy) = 1018kg weight on the front wheels
Add weight of two occupants in the front combined = 150kgs
Total weight on front tyres= 1168kg
Combined capacity of front tyres at 94 load index= 1340kg
Overall the 94 load index yet has an added capacity of 172kg excess.

That being said, I am going to keep 1psi extra on the front tyres to be safe. The rear will be kept with 31psi as always.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 11:19   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got them from Saifee tyres in Santacruz. Been buying tyres from them for over a decade. He manages to always sources my requirements and even after shopping around, his rates are usually most competitive.

I had the same apprehension on the load index, however I did the math(see below) before taking the plunge as I had no choice but to get the 94 at this point due to availability. I have checked in the past for my size tyres and yet only found 94Y for some reason no one seems to import the 98.

Kerb weight of the RS5 = 1725kg
Weight distribution is 41(rear) & 59 (front,yes it is nose heavy) = 1018kg weight on the front wheels
Add weight of two occupants in the front combined = 150kgs
Total weight on front tyres= 1168kg
Combined capacity of front tyres at 94 load index= 1340kg
Overall the 94 load index yet has an added capacity of 172kg excess.

That being said, I am going to keep 1psi extra on the front tyres to be safe. The rear will be kept with 31psi as always.
Doesn't work that way. This is fine when the car is stationary.

When the car is in motion, the weight shifts around based on the cornering forces which can lead to significantly higher load on a single wheel than when it is stationary.

I'd be wary of using a lower load index - especially if the difference is massive and the car is heavy.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 11:36   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

When the car is in motion, the weight shifts around based on the cornering forces which can lead to significantly higher load on a single wheel than when it is stationary.

I'd be wary of using a lower load index - especially if the difference is massive and the car is heavy.
Thanks for the info! Oh well, fingers crossed I don't have a problem. I guess the lower load index might make the tyre more prone to sidewall damage/bubbles due to impact. Hence, I have my old set lying to switch over to just incase I develop a problem at any point.

Honestly, given Mumbai's road conditions no tyre or load index is good enough. Just two days ago my father developed a sidewall cut on his S-class front tyre that has a 98 load index thanks to the rotten potholes. Luckily, no damage to the rims at all so I am going to have to just replace the front tyre
Old 30th June 2016, 12:29   #131
Senior - BHPian

What Reign said is right. I would not take a chance with those tyres at all, were I you. The loads each axle and wheel is subjected to differs under acceleration, braking, cornering...

Are you saying you run 31psi on 40 (or lower?) profile tyres? I have NEVER run my PS2 or PSS lower than 35psi at any time. Please check what Audi's recommended tyre pressures are. I'm sure they would be higher than 31psi for such low profile tyres. Coupled with a lower load rating tyre, lower tyre pressures than recommended is being excessively adventurous, I feel.
Old 30th June 2016, 19:09   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

Very well said.

Sahil, please keep an eye out for 98 rated tyres and get it asap. Not worth risking your life/car for such issues.

Stick to the manufacturer specified load and speed ratings or higher. Never ever go lower.
Old 8th August 2017, 12:51   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

The split up of the duty is as follows;

BCD (10%) + CVD (12%) + CESS (0%) + EDU. CESS (3%) + SAD (4%) + OTHER (0%) = TOTAL DUTY RATE (28.85%)
Hey thanks for your thread, gave me the confidence to do something similar. My stuff must be on it's way, will share my experience after I get it (hope it will be as smooth as yours). I didn't realise at the time of ordering but it just occurred to me that the new duty will be based on GST. I wasn't paying attention to all the GST noise as I thought it only impacts people planning to buy new cars, etc. I think the total duty rate would be 10% BCD plus 28% IGST on value+BCD so a total of 40.8% instead of 28.85%.

Btw, how did you pay the duty amount?
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 20:56   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Hey thanks for your thread, gave me the confidence to do something similar. My stuff must be on it's way, will share my experience after I get it (hope it will be as smooth as yours). I didn't realise at the time of ordering but it just occurred to me that the new duty will be based on GST. I wasn't paying attention to all the GST noise as I thought it only impacts people planning to buy new cars, etc. I think the total duty rate would be 10% BCD plus 28% IGST on value+BCD so a total of 40.8% instead of 28.85%.

Please do keep us posted. I might look to order some tyres if yours experience turns out good.
How did you go about placing the order for the international shipping? Also, how many days does the shipping take?
Old 8th August 2017, 21:24   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Duty was paid in Cash to FedEx as that time there was no other option to pay by other means.

Last edited by karan561 : 8th August 2017 at 21:37. Reason: Misunderstood the Question at 1st.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks