Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2006, 13:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Loads of tyre Q's

At the bangy speedrun in april,was waiting in front of the pit entry and checking out all the cars when this black ohc drives in.The car was running on 15'' platis at the back and the same design plati rims on the front in 14''.What exactly was he trying to do??get the car to look lower in the front?,better handling?or what?.What would be the disadvantages of doing this.
Reason why im asking is coz we will be picking up a set of rims in singapore/bangkok in about two weeks time.Need to know the average weight of a 15/16''rim.
Lastly would running 16 inchers on the baleno have amazingly crappy ride or would the ride be comparible to lower segment cars like the swift,getz etc.If i dont put 16'' rims would 15''look great?
Help
binz
Old 17th May 2006, 18:30   #2
BHPian

The main idea of two different rim sizes is basically to transfer weight to to the driven wheels which in turn aids traction.
Old 17th May 2006, 19:13   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Using smaller rims at the front on FWD's is basically to play around with the weight transfer so that at the time of launch the rear doesnt dip too much ..

For ur baleno i suggest u stick to 15's as 16's would be an overkill .. Even to convert to the 15's it would have to do with some suspension work .. Memo has gotten his done , mine will be in too shortly .. Planning to run 195/55/R15 on 6j rims .. And for street use its preferable to run the same rim size both front and back ..
Old 17th May 2006, 20:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Be prepared for a harsher ride with 15" rims, if you want to maintain your overall diameter. I would suggest 195/55s to you, just like we decided for Mclaren and Memo.

The tyre-wheel combo sizes are normally made this way to keep the front down. In a FWD, this aids in traction up front. It's the opposite for an RWD, which would use smaller and much thicker rear tyres than the front. The FWDs also bump up rear tyre pressure and bleed it down in the front.

The FWD setup will lead to heavy oversteer, and is dangerous on any surface except a dragstrip.

There are cars that run 13" in front and 17" at the back. It's a different matter that the driver has as much talent as a ping-pong ball, and gets some horrid timings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks