Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2016, 14:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Xylo current ODO = ~143700 KM. Yoko has already run over 62K KM (period about 28 months),

overall Im happy with Yoko, esp the grip & braking. Though Im quite regular in Alignment & Balancing tasks, off-late I have seen some uneven wear in some areas, will get it again checked. As told by few tyre shops in recent times, and also I feel, they will still last quite long. hope for the best.

regards,
Hi Pranav,

Glad to see your Xylo is munching miles well and the Yokos are still holding good even after 62K KMs. Now we know the real verdict of Bridgestone vs Michelin vs Yokos for Xylo. Geolanders win hands down.

My Tusker has not munched miles like earlier since I relocated to hometown and the Michelins have seen only 30K KMs of action in 31 months after buying. They are holding good till now but I feel they have easily crossed 50% life and might have to consider a replacement in next 20K KMs.

So certainly life is lesser than Bridgestones and Yokos. And also the Unidirectional nature of Latitude Cross would trigger early change as the outer edge gets worn out faster for front tyres. No regrets as it really improved Tusker's ride quality and handling and no significant cost escalation compared to Duelers.
Old 30th May 2016, 12:13   #32
BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Date: 27-May-2016.
Vehicle : Xylo, ~154200 KMs ODO

The Change – though partial !

The Yoko on my vehicle had already crossed ~72K KMs, and the only puncture happened few months back, as reported in this thread earlier. The threads were still decent, though at some places it was bit uneven, but nothing to be extremely worried about. Gripping and braking was pretty decent. I had expected the tyres to run more ~10K KMs, but fate has something else !

I was to travel Vadodara for some personal work, and started from home at 8.30AM – already running bit late. I sensed the tyre pressure were not OK, and stopped at one of the regular tyre shop. The guy announced that Rear-Right tyre had a puncture as pressure was too low. Even before dismounting the tyre, we saw a big screw stuck in the tyre! The tyre was dismounted, the screw was removed and puncture was repaired. At that time, I noticed at a small area (near to the main puncture) of tyre was bit swollen – the guy said that “…. Air has been captured, and tyre will not service for long, better to change soon”. On further diagnostics, we found another two more punctures near the same area, and they were repaired too. Upon inflating the tyre, I noticed that particular area got again swollen, and I sensed that somehow air was entrapped within the ply (layers) of the tyres. Maybe the screw had performed this havoc. That would mean a bit uneven tyre surface, leading to somewhat bad ride quality.

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20160527_085933.jpg

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20160527_085945.jpg

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20160527_085954.jpg

After the puncture repair job, I left from there and stopped about 30 KM later for diesel topping at Reliance bunk bit ahead of Vasai. I remember stepping down of vehicle and casually inspecting the tyres – all seemed OK. I continued driving for another 30-35KM and stopped at Shree Dutt food mall (Manor), and relished vada-pao and cold lemonade, and even at that time I didn’t notice anything unusual in the tyre. I was driving good 80-100 speed.

I continued driving another ~75 KMs, speeds in range of 80-120 and just before Vapi GIDC area I stopped vehicle on roadside for a bio-break. When I saw that tyre, I was just surprised and astonished! This area has really swollen like a big bubble. I touched the bubble and it was very soft, just about to burst. I lowered the air pressure, and poured some water to cool the tyres, waited for 10 minutes. A lot of thoughts were running in my mind, mainly – Thank God, that it didn’t burst while I was driving. I called my family and updated of the situation.

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20160527_114820.jpg

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20160527_114843.jpg

I switched-on the hazard lights (c.k.a. parking lights!) and slowly started driving in 2nd gear, just hoping to reach sound few KM to a type shop, as I was just reaching Vapi. A lot of passing vehicle was pointing me the tyre, and I thanked them and said that I was aware and going to a tyre shop. Within this condition, I didn’t take the two flyovers and slowly located two big tyre shops on other side of road, where I parked my vehicle. Minimum I had to change two tyres (default specs 215/75/R15), though changing all 5 tyres was a distant thought, if not now then in coming months for sure. In the first store, they had only Apollo tyres, which I was not interested.
I went to next store (Highway Tyres) and inquired prices:
>> Bridgestone Dueler AT 693: Rs.6400 per piece
>> MRF Wanderer AT: Rs.5400 per piece

The shop manager asked me to bring the vehicle inside the compound (just few meters to drive) and then proceed for inspecting and new tyres. At this point when I just moved my vehicle, I heard a “phataak” sound, and the tyre bubble bursts ! The tyre was still holding air pressure, and not any air was coming out of the crack. I was extremely lucky, and saved from a potential accident, thank God.

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20160527_123004.jpg
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20160527_123017.jpg

I decided to go for MRF Wanderer. I explained the entire situation, and also history of tyres. The shop manager was a very nice person and he carefully inspected all the other tyres and commented that for now I put only 2 new tyres (on the front) and rear two existing can be changed after few months but not too long. Soon the tyre replacement was done. Since I wasn’t carrying that much cash, the shop manager even arranged one of his staff to take me to nearby ATM on their motorcycle. As a final price I paid Rs.10400 (i.e. 5200 per piece), and guy said he wouldn’t give such discounted rates to local customers, but I was a good exception. For alignment and balancing he referred to nearby shop, but have to pay extra for it.

MRF Wanderer AT - looks good:
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160528_142525727_hdr.jpg
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160530_093708840_hdr.jpg
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160530_093718661_hdr.jpg

I drove to the nearby shop and its staff had gone for lunch. Time was 1.15 PM, and even I had my lunch to next door restaurant. The alignment and balancing was done, costing Rs.500 and more than one hour time. Now I started for my destination, and the drive was very good. By late evening I reach Vadodara. In the local drive, the vehicle feels bit bouncy, and I sense improper air pressure – will get it corrected today.

I have also decided that within few days itself, I will get rest of tyres (3, incl almost unused spare BS-D-AT) to MRF Wanderer. That’s no point just dragging the old Yoko, which has served me very good. And better I enjoy the ride quality of the new ones. Hope the MRF serves me very good.

The rear Yoko, doing their final duties, thank you :

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160530_093757335_hdr.jpg
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20160530_093820592_hdr.jpg

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 10:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

As reported earlier, my Xylo is not munching miles these days and odo is just above 90000 KMs still.

Michelins has reached almost 75% thread life after about 40000KMs and 3.5 years. Yes, its atleast 10000KMs lesser than my Duelers, but certainly it delivered much better performance on and off road. Being a uni-directional tyre, only the outer edge is worn out. Thanks to the soft compound, road grip is still not disappointing. However I am considering a change as vehicle is still doing good and I might keep her for another two years unless any reliability issues crop-in.

Touch-wood, Michelin did not had a single puncture till now. Bridgestones were also not bad in my experience. But I am considering Geolander this time after hearing a lot of success stories. Got quotes of 6400 per tyre for stock size.

Quote:
Date: 27-May-2016.
Vehicle : Xylo, ~154200 KMs ODO

The Change – though partial !

The Yoko on my vehicle had already crossed ~72K KMs,

The rear Yoko, doing their final duties, thank you :

regards,
Pranav
Hey Pranav, sad to hear about the bubble and blast event. But glad to hear that they served you for 72K KMs without any issues. Congrats on the Wanderer. How are they doing? Did you change the rear tyres as well?

Last edited by jacs : 9th January 2017 at 11:01.
Old 12th January 2017, 19:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats on the Wanderer. How are they doing? Did you change the rear tyres as well?
Hi Jacs,

the MRF's Wanderer on front are doing pretty good, the rear (& spare) are still running Yoko. Current ODO is almost 169000 KMs, which means Yoko are serving me since ~86 thousand KMs (in about 3 years), and even MRF-W aged 15 thousand KM (in about 7 months). Really, time flies :-)

Though there is still decent grip on Yoko, the rubber has turned bit harder now. Sometime back, in one rear Yoko, there was this re-occurring puncture at same spot, eventually put a patch and installed tube, costed me some 900 bucks.

I plan to replace the rear (& spare) tyres in next 2-4 months, as Im tentatively planning for a road trip in summer vacation. By that time, my current MRF-W would have already done 20+K KMs.

Two areas to highlight, need inputs:
- I think replacement also should be same make i.e. MRF-W ?
though at that time, I would still evaluate the feasibility to have ALL tyres replaced with Newer ones, lets see.

- with uneven aged tyres, any potential issue or precaution ?

regards,
Pranav
Old 13th January 2017, 09:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the MRF's Wanderer on front are doing pretty good, the rear (& spare) are still running Yoko. serving me since ~86 thousand KMs (in about 3 years), and even MRF-W aged 15 thousand KM (in about 7 months).Though there is still decent grip on Yoko, the rubber has turned bit harder now.

Two areas to highlight, need inputs:
- I think replacement also should be same make i.e. MRF-W ?

- with uneven aged tyres, any potential issue or precaution ?
Thanks for the details Pranav. I ordered my Geolandars with a dealer in Kochi well known to my buddy bhpians here. 5900 per piece which looks really attractive to me. May be rubber market crash helped in lower pricing as compared to 3.5 years back while I changed last time.

I got lot of good feedback on Wanderer but somehow not really convinced with MRF yet. Major issue I have faced with all MRFs in life is performance after half life (Now having a tough time with Zappers on TB500). But you can't go wrong with it if you have some plans of swapping the car in near term.

Personally I feel happy to have same make & model tyres on all four wheels. Not sure of any technical limitations having 2+2 combination. Use of different thread pattern for front itself or rear itself is proven to have handling issues.
Old 13th January 2017, 10:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi Jacs,
Yoko prices looks good. see if you can get the tyres with white letters, looks kool!

On the Yoko India website, I today noticed Promotion : tyres on EMI http://www.yokohama-india.com/promotions/. Even if you have ordered, I kindly suggest you call one of registered Kochi dealer for prices & offer: http://www.yokohama-india.com/store-locator/

regards,
Pranav
Old 16th January 2017, 09:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is to update you all that my tusker (Xylo) got new shoes from DBS Edappally.
  • Yokohama Geolandar AT/S - Stock size 215/75 R15.
  • Its actually White letters on one side and being a bi-directional tyre, one can choose between white letters or just standard black all.
  • Price as quoted earlier INR5900 a piece.
  • No trade value for old tyres as outer edge was seriously worned out. Best of the 4 was taken for spare wheel, replacing the 7.5 year old Bridgestone which had 25% life.
  • Wheel alignment done but they identified that the front left upper arm bush is gone which needs to be fixed. They will do a free alignment again once done.
  • I normally inflate 35psi on front and 38psi on rear. Asked dealer to inflate 1 point extra based on the side wall strength caution read across the blogs.
  • Had run<100KMs only till now. Felt the car bit more bumpy compared to Michelins and noticed a small drop in fuel efficiency as per MID. Not surprising as I changed from almost bald tyres.
Quote:
Hi Jacs,
see if you can get the tyres with white letters

Last edited by jacs : 16th January 2017 at 09:32.
Old 13th April 2017, 00:50   #38
BHPian

Hi friends,

Update: Now all installed tyres are MRF Wanderer AT (215R75) !

see my earlier post, that during a particular situation, 2 (front) tyres were changed to MRF Wanderer AT, ODO was 154200 KMs in May'16. The rear were still Yokohama Geolander AT, and no tyre rotation (front-to-rear swap) was performed. Though periodic alignment & balancing was done. I also previously mention that one Yoko was converted to tube-type few months back.
Noteworthy, the spare tyre - OEM Bridgestone Dueler AT 693, was hardly used 1-2 times for short rides, in all these almost 7 years; and it stayed hanging there.

Yday discussed with Sanghi Auto & Tyres (Vashi) that I want to replace all with MRF, so as to maintain with existing MRF in front. Last time I had got Yoko from them. Though he denied dealing in MRF these days (Yoko seems the main brand for them), they were very kind to source it for me from another dealer and asked me to come today evening for installation.

Today evening (ODO = ~171000 KMs) purchased 3 x MRF Wanderer, each costing Rs.5300. Alignment & Balancing was not charged extra, good people to deal with. Me and owner did have nice talks on general topics, and I occasionally wave them "Hi" when passing their shop. Got 3 valves installed in new MRF tyres (& also replaced 2 valves in existing MRF tyres), each costing Rs.350, conveyed me that it carries 1 year warranty. The new tyres were all 02-17/03-17 manufactured, good. I took the tube back, could be useful in tough situations. However as per their sale policy, payment by credit card attracted extra 2%, same as last time too.

I was given Rs.500 for the old 3 tyres, think quite fair deal. Below pics for the outgoing 3 tyres (2 Yoko-Geo-AT, 1 BS-D-AT). These 2 Yoko served me for good ~89000 KMs (i.e. 171-82) in ~3.5 years.

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170412_194119.jpg Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170412_194124.jpg
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170412_194132.jpg

The new are installed in front (to have better ride & handling), and existing MRF (done 17000 KM in 11 months) were shifted to rear, spare now has new rubber.

There was some uneven wear in the existing MRF, due to incorrect alignment and suspension issues. Last months I had got the whole suspension renewed, and corrected alignment from my trusted shop. Today the engineer assured me that wear will even-out soon by having them in rear, and this would not have any adverse effect in ride. I plan for a long trip soon, and these new tyres will boost the ride. Hope for the best.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 10:57   #39
BHPian

Vehicle: Mahindra Xylo
Variant: E4
Year: December 2009
Tyre Size: 215 75R15

At 41,000 kilometres and 8 years, my Bridgestone Duellers A/T need to be changed. The treads are not all gone, but the rubber has hardened with age and a few cracks have started to appear and I think it is high time for a change. Better late than never!

I have only had two punctures in 8 years and would rate the BS-D highly. But variety is the spice of life, and I do not want to replace them with the same tyres.

After reading up a bit, the three tyres on my list are:
--> Yokohama Geolander™ A/T
https://www.yokohama-india.com/produ...andar-at-g015/

--> Continental ContiCrossContact™ LX
https://www.continental-tyres.in/car...rosscontact-lx

--> Continental ContiCrossContact™ AT
https://www.continental-tyres.in/car...rosscontact-at

Gurus, please assist in making the decision. Michellin doesn't make tyres the exact size, otherwise I would have been pretty keen on it.

Last edited by Paradiddle : 5th August 2018 at 10:58.
Old 8th January 2019, 17:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
Vehicle: Mahindra Xylo
Variant: E4
Year: December 2009
Tyre Size: 215 75R15

At 41,000 kilometres and 8 years, my Bridgestone Duellers A/T need to be changed.

Gurus, please assist in making the decision. Michellin doesn't make tyres the exact size, otherwise I would have been pretty keen on it.
Hi,
just came across this thread after a long time, sold my Xylo in Mar18, clocking ~196500 KMs.

BS-Dueler-AT stock ones are pretty good - reasonable traction and life. BUT - running those tyres for 8 years is very risky. Pardon me, the cracks we see with naked eye on surface is the end stage, but internal structure may have already corroded. The rubber hardens like hell, and very risky.

I have used Y-Geo-AT on my Xylo itself, superb ones, better than stock BS-D, better grip, traction , superb life. Many spoke of bit weaker side walls, overall a good choice.

Contri Cross-AT is overall a very good tyre, no personal experience.

so finally, what did you purchase, do share some light, thanks.

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 8th January 2019 at 17:16.
Old 13th February 2019, 18:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Changed my Xylo Bridgestone tyres at 66,000 kms.

I have installed CEAT tyres of same size, 215 75 R15.

Did a highway trip of 800 kms with the new tyres, and another 700 kms of city driving. Good experience so far.

Price per tyre : Rs. 5650/-
Old 31st August 2020, 02:41   #42
BHPian

Installed new set of tyres on my Xylo m-Hawk which would turn 5 this September, 2020.

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200831000932.jpg

Stock tyres had run 49k KMs and could have easily gone on for 10k more but since they were 5+ years old and there were visible cracks all over I decided to replace them.

Stock tyres were 215/75 R15 Bridgestone Dueler AT, and felt just about adequate, so I upsized them to 235/75 R15.

Tyre: Goodyear Wrangler AT SilentTrac (₹6300 per tyre).

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233247__01.jpg

Here is a visual comparison of the current stock tyre (BS-D) vs 215 tyre in stock size (Ceat) vs the 235 upsize tyre (GY-W)

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233237__01.jpg
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233213__01.jpg

GY - Wrangler vs stock BS-Dueler
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830234003__01.jpg

A closer look at the thread pattern.
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233151__01.jpg

The wheel well looks appropriately filled with 235s, stock 215s looked puny in comparison and that massive wheel well cavity used to look weird.

235s
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233037__01.jpg

215s
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233032__01.jpg

Tyre upsize not only improved ride and handling, IMHO Xylo looks better than before with this upsize. So, it's an aesthetic upgrade as well. 235s make it look more proportionate and goes well with the overall dimensions of the tall MUV.

235s
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233019__01.jpg

215s
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233951__01.jpg

The comparison stats:
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200831000214__01__01.jpg
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200831000214__01__02.jpg

Couldn't take more pics as it got dark and begin raining as well by the time we completed test runs.
Checked thoroughly for any shortcomings and thankfully there were non. The size is perfect. Initial impressions from the maidan short drive back home were impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20200830233146__01__01.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 31st August 2020 at 02:58.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 18:49   #43
BHPian

Can Xylo be fitted with 31/10.5r15 tyres if the only consideration is that the tyres do not rub against the car?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...r15-31-10.5r15

Last edited by AjayJoshuaN : 19th October 2022 at 18:50. Reason: Space correction
Old 20th October 2022, 17:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJoshuaN View Post
Can Xylo be fitted with 31/10.5r15 tyres if the only consideration is that the tyres do not rub against the car?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...r15-31-10.5r15
Difference of 11% in diameter and 25% in width is a big no-no. Max change recommended is 3% and 10% for diameter and width respectively. Anything beyond this needs different rims with reduced offset (for wider tyres) and raising the suspension (for taller tyres)
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks