Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 14:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys,

After 50,000KMs on oddo and about 4 years of action, I have decided to change all the four stock tyres on my Xylo E8. Its not completely worn out yet, it can run another 5,000 - 10,000KMs if driven carefully but do not want to compromise on safety as my family is travelling most of the time on it. Stock tyres are Bridgestone Dueler AT 215/75 R15. Never faced any issues, just two punctures in its journey and my stepeney is as good as new still.

Though decided to replace it with same model, recollect my service advisor's words. Yes he recommended me Michelin LATITUDE CROSS as first and Bridgestone Dueler AT as next preference for Xylo and to avoid any other brands. According to him, first generation Xylos came with Michelins and used to last longer than Duelers and due to the higher cost only M&M switched to Bridgestone. Any Xylo's running Michelin here?

I read mixed opinion on Michelin Latitude especially on the puncture part. Any experience would really help as I am not in haste and can wait couple of more days before deciding and buying.
Old 10th June 2013, 15:01   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My 2 cents - I would go for the Bridgestones for the below reasons:
1) The Bridgestones on your Xylo have crossed 50000 kms. Proof that it is durable.
2) Only 2 punctures! Wow!
3) Cheaper (as per info from your service advisor)
4) My Xylo is a first generation model (March 2009) and it too has Bridgestones.
Old 10th June 2013, 15:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Got Latitude Cross on the Scorpio,and they are not really Abuse friendly as a SUV tyre should be,and at 45K kms,they are almost towards end of life.
Plus point is that they are really silent and ride is pretty comfortable,and at the same time they have good grip as well.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 16:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
My 2 cents - I would go for the Bridgestones for the below reasons:
1) The Bridgestones on your Xylo have crossed 50000 kms. Proof that it is durable.
2) Only 2 punctures! Wow!
3) Cheaper (as per info from your service advisor)
4) My Xylo is a first generation model (March 2009) and it too has Bridgestones.
Yes Manij, I am comfortable with Bridgestones all through out my life starting from my Alto, Palio, Accent and now the Xylo. However wanted to reconfirm about Michelin since I heard it from an expert.

None of the dealers I checked with has Latitude in stock and also highlighted that it costs 800 to 1000 bucks more than the Dueler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Got Latitude Cross on the Scorpio,and they are not really Abuse friendly as a SUV tyre should be,and at 45K kms,they are almost towards end of life.
Plus point is that they are really silent and ride is pretty comfortable,and at the same time they have good grip as well.
Thanks Akshay, I read the same feedback on road noise reduction from all users. Abuse friendly it should be as my use involves lot of rural drives. Duelers were really good till my 40000KMs where my grip started disappearing from edges slowly and ever since then I realized the grip reduction shile cornering or braking.
Old 23rd June 2013, 20:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

A very contradicting purchase it was. Do not shoot me down as I changed to Michelin Latitude Cross last friday after talking all good stories about Bridgestones .

Went to Global Tyres, Vyttila. Very large facility and they have almost all brands and a very large customer base including the tie-ups like Audi. I was taken by my friend who is acquainted with them after a series of purchases. They had various choices including Bridgestone, Maxis, Yokos and Michelin. On seeing that its for my Xylo, they asked me whether I would like to go for Michelin Latitude Cross since stock just arrived after a gap and that too at attractive pricing.

First look itself I got sold for Latitude but checked about the comparison with Dueler. Latitudes are of great demand these days but had shortage in market which restricted the sales recently. They agree Duelers are sure shot for Mileage when Latitudes are for better handling. Owners buddy/bro just drove in there on his Scorpio with brand new Latitudes on them .

Final prices quoted were
  • Bridgestone Dueler AT - INR 6750
  • Michelin Latitude Cross - INR 6850
Traded my almost unused but 4 year old spare Dueler tyres for INR 2500. Got Latitudes on all four wheels. Balancing and Alignment also done. Bill came to INR 25,700 including old tyre buy back. While about to walk to the car, the billing guy just called me and handed over a Adidas Backpack as a complementary gift for purchasing a complete set of four tyres.

Had driven around 300KMs since then and through tough terrains in the heavy rains. Felt more confident than the Duelers for sure. Could also notice a drop in road noise levels. Fuel efficiency on the car computer still shows the same figures as the Duelers.

Last edited by jacs : 23rd June 2013 at 20:04.
jacs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 21:55   #6
BHPian

thanks @jacs. one of the information I was looking for xylo, and just found an entire thread dedicated !

My Xylo (3 yrs, precisely) has now done ~78K, running on the stock Dueler AT. have several punctures till now, also off-late uneven wear due to negligent alignment and also bit worn suspension related stuff. I have done several trips, including bad (BAD) roads. But, Im really confident of these tyres and surely my next upgrade would be same. Just sharing my experience, nothing against your purchase.

My spare wheel isnt used, or maybe one of times.

Do keep posted on your Latitude's. other Xylo owners also post your tyre experiences.
Old 5th August 2013, 14:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
My spare wheel isnt used, or maybe one of times.

Do keep posted on your Latitude's. other Xylo owners also post your tyre experiences.
Latitudes are doing good, car covered almost 2000KMs on them. Advantage is defenitely the improved road grip especially on slippery surfaces. Its too early to comment on disadvantages.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:41   #8
BHPian

Hello,

My Bridgestone Duellers have been serving the Xylo for 50K kms now and finally it's time for a change.

I still have close to 5k Kms life left on the set, however I have two options as spending for new tyres at one go is kind of expensive and would like to spread it over a couple of months. 3 New Bridgestones- 20,400/- or 4 New Ceat Formula I - BT steel (A/T) - 20,000/-

Two Options I have :-

1. Buy one new BS Dueller - 6,800 and start using the spare (unused) in front or rear (TBD - Endless Argument on this). And let two old tyres serve for a couple of more months and buy two more tyres (BS Duellers again). Will plan to use one of the old tyres as a spare.

2. Came across this option from Ceat (Not sure about their performance) - Please help with your inputs. http://www.ceat.in/newsite/tyre-rang...=18&vtype_id=2
Each tyre is costing roughly 5K. I can save up and change all four (2 now & 2 next month) and keep the old unused spare from BS as a spare tyre again.

Let me know your thoughts. And also, any know incidents/experiences about Ceat.

Last edited by mantrig : 30th August 2013 at 16:44.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
My Bridgestone Duellers have been serving the Xylo for 50K kms now and finally it's time for a change.

3 New Bridgestones- 20,400/- or 4 New Ceat Formula I - BT steel (A/T) - 20,000/-
Hi Mantri,

I believe you need to stick to Dueler ATs considering no good experience of the latter yet. Bridgestones are built to last but 4 to 5 years is a max age, not recommended to use tyres beyond that. So if your car is Pre 2010, consider buying all 4 new.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I would suggest you proceed with BS. Replacing all in one go - it will pinch a bit on wallet, but see any options on your credit card available ?!

BS has proven itself for long durability.

btw, about 2 months back, one of my friend purchased these from a Andheri (Mumbai) based dealer in 26500, including 4 valves changes. Y'day I asked a small local dealer, he quoted 27200, plus Rs.100 extra per valve !
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi Mantri,

I believe you need to stick to Dueler ATs considering no good experience of the latter yet. Bridgestones are built to last but 4 to 5 years is a max age, not recommended to use tyres beyond that. So if your car is Pre 2010, consider buying all 4 new.
Thanks Jacs,

Yes, mine is a Pre 2010 (2009 Mar) tank and the BS did successfully manage to survive the tarmac.

There has never been a complain in terms of response from tyres under any circumstances, so based on your inputs I will stick to BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I would suggest you proceed with BS. Replacing all in one go - it will pinch a bit on wallet, but see any options on your credit card available ?!

BS has proven itself for long durability.

btw, about 2 months back, one of my friend purchased these from a Andheri (Mumbai) based dealer in 26500, including 4 valves changes. Y'day I asked a small local dealer, he quoted 27200, plus Rs.100 extra per valve !

Thanks Pranav - Appreciate your valuable inputs and the pricing estimates as well.

I will go with BS. However, I will plonk in two this month and the remaining two in the next. Not really a budget constrain as such, just that am in the process of buying a house so the extra cash might come in handy in the coming months for furniture & fixtures.

Also, just got back from a road trip to Goa a couple of weeks back and no trip lined up in the near future (read until Nov'13).
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I have send you PM, do check and revert. thnx.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:09   #13
BHPian

got your msg.
I checked the BS prices with another dealer : 6220 (not sure if Alignment / Balance would be done or not within). Also when I asked refund for the old (existing) tyre, based on condition it would be 150 to 250.

Best Tyres, Sector-19, Vashi.
Old 24th October 2013, 14:10   #14
BHPian

I changed tyres to Yokohama Geolander ATS, Rs.6600 per piece.

more details posted at : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3274594
Old 14th May 2014, 18:53   #15
BHPian

Guys,
Am planning to change my XYLO E4 tyres after 60k kms and 5 yrs. The threads on all tyres still look good and I have never used the stepney till date since I have suffered a single puncture (yes ONE) till date and that too in Amritsar after a 1500kms drive but i guess its time.

The Bridgestone stock tyres have served me well through all my travels...Ladakh...Jaisalmer...Kanyakumari and all over central India. I need the new tyres to help me get through to Kaza (this june) and later to the North-east!. I mean its 50-50 city-highway travel.

Am a bit confused with all the suggestions here...
1) Should i replace them with the same Bridgestone Stocks
2) Yokohoma Geloanders.
3) Michelin latitude Cross

And any suggestions for tyre dealers in western suburbs will also be helpful..

Regards,
Nikhil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks