Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 09:48   #16
BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Guys,
Am planning to change my XYLO E4 tyres after 60k kms and 5 yrs. The threads on all tyres still look good and I have never used the stepney till date since I have suffered a single puncture (yes ONE) till date and that too in Amritsar after a 1500kms drive but i guess its time.

The Bridgestone stock tyres have served me well through all my travels...Ladakh...Jaisalmer...Kanyakumari and all over central India. I need the new tyres to help me get through to Kaza (this june) and later to the North-east!. I mean its 50-50 city-highway travel.

Am a bit confused with all the suggestions here...
1) Should i replace them with the same Bridgestone Stocks
2) Yokohoma Geloanders.
3) Michelin latitude Cross

And any suggestions for tyre dealers in western suburbs will also be helpful..

Regards,
Nikhil.
Hi Nikhil,
hope you doing good. Unfortunately, could meet you only once at Oye Punjabi meet.

your OE BS tyre have done good, quite puncture proof ! I have received similar good feedback from other users of BS AT.

a bit of review from my side:

- BS AT: they are overall good tyres and gives longer life. You can call it a "default good" !

cross posting : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2946054

- Yoko Geo AT: from my personal experience, grip is very good; far better than BS. Braking is also improved. I have done 12000 KM, mostly city & highways (some bad roads) till now, and dont see any pattern loss. I have already assumed of lesser life from these. From whatever I have read, they have softer sidewalls which could be an issue in sharp rocks (like Ladakh mountains). The fuel efficiency would slightly decrease. On turns it surely increases your confidence. To give an example, the curves on Ghodbunder road, as my daily drive.

- Conti CrossContact AT: they days I have seen many Scorpio & Xylo with it. I havnt got any chance to speak to any owner yet. They look quite aggressive.

http://www.continental-tires.com/www...ontact-at.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-one-down.html

Just yday I found cracks at two positions on front left tyre. Would be visiting the dealer (Sanghi, Vashi) next week and argue with him. Anyways I want to buy the 5th one (to sell the hardly used BS in spare).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3436039

Even Im planning Leh trip (W2-July14). My vehicle ODO is 94000, turning 4 years next month.

Im sure you would replace all the 5 tyres, since they are 5 years old.

regards,
Pranav.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi Nikhil,
hope you doing good. Unfortunately, could meet you only once at Oye Punjabi meet.

your OE BS tyre have done good, quite puncture proof ! I have received similar good feedback from other users of BS AT.

a bit of review from my side:

- BS AT: they are overall good tyres and gives longer life. You can call it a "default good" !

Pranav.

Hey Pranav,
Yeah, its time we all caught up again. I don't hear much about meets on Team-BHP these days. Have changed my tyres to the same stock Bridgestone Duelers AT as per HVK's suggestion and my own prior experience.
Hope they last as well as the earlier ones. Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Nikhil.
Old 30th May 2014, 11:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Hey Pranav,
Yeah, its time we all caught up again. I don't hear much about meets on Team-BHP these days. Have changed my tyres to the same stock Bridgestone Duelers AT as per HVK's suggestion and my own prior experience.
Hope they last as well as the earlier ones. Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Nikhil.
indeed the stock BS are good tyres, and wishing you many happy miles with it.
Old 5th June 2014, 02:29   #19
BHPian

Hey @pcpranav... Wanted to know your feedback on Yokohama Geolandar AT/S for xylo. In fact I wad trying to reach you today evening but unfortunately I did not have proper network to post this enquiry. Pls respond ASAP. Am drifting towards Yokohama since they are cheaper than the STOCK OEM BS
Old 9th June 2014, 11:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
Hey @pcpranav... Wanted to know your feedback on Yokohama Geolandar AT/S for xylo. In fact I wad trying to reach you today evening but unfortunately I did not have proper network to post this enquiry. Pls respond ASAP. Am drifting towards Yokohama since they are cheaper than the STOCK OEM BS
Hi buddy,
The Yoko Geo AT are definitely very good in terms of gripping and braking, this is because of the softer rubber and deeper grooves. The ride quality is slightly better than BS. The characteristic of this tyre would be good for mild offroading, but all others have already mentioned about its softer (bit weaker) side-wall as well; so beware of roaming in rocky areas. In my personal opinion also these tyres may not provide longevity (either KM or years). The Fuel Efficiency would be slightly reduced.

Whereas the Xylo's stock BS D-AT are also good tyres, no doubt. They would surely last for longer, and very good for highway running, without disturbing the FE. Im sure M&M would have done their bit of efforts & testing in planting them as stock.

when you say Yoko are coming cheaper than BS, what is the price difference ? When I was planning to change, BS was running at 62-6300, but in that period itself found that they increased the rate to 65-6700. Whereas I found Yoko at 6600, and finalized it. So, if the difference in your case if just marginal (eg. 200 x 5 = 1000), you can ignore this parameter for your decision.

I tried my best not to further confuse you !
Old 9th June 2014, 13:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I tried my best not to further confuse you !
Hey mate. .. there's nothing called confusing when you share your inputs. .. so that's very good piece of info that you shared and thanks a ton!

FYI. I bought the Yokohama Geolandar AT/S on Saturday. Bought 4, got them for 6.2k a piece whole BS were going for 6.7k

To be frank got sold on the deeper grooves and the assuring look of the yokos. Savings are secondary to the safety of the family travelling. The shopkeeper was of the opinion that I can still pull on mine existing BS for around 5k km more if I drive carefully, but I didn't want to take the risk with monsoons approaching.

I have taken the plunge after preparing myself to be ready for a shorter number of kms as regards offroading, it's more of rural roads and nothing like leh ladakh drives. But I would be careful.

Thanks. Let's keep in touch
Old 9th June 2014, 14:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
FYI. I bought the Yokohama Geolandar AT/S on Saturday. Bought 4, got them for 6.2k a piece whole BS were going for 6.7k
congrats on your Yoko, hope you have the white-lettered model - which look beautiful after applying the shine cream.

6.2 is a very good good price, if you can share dealer's contacts ?
how much you got for the old ones ?

even I had purchased just 4 that time (vit-M issue), and now I soon intend to buy 5th one just to replace the sparingly used spare BS.
Old 14th July 2014, 13:43   #23
BHPian

Hey @pcpranav... sorry but my phone crashed and thus was not in touch since I access tbhp on its app... by the way, the treads on my old BS tyres were worn out... They call it TAKLOO... meaning bald... so overall 6.2k per tyre is the price that worked out after factoring the buy back of my old BS... and yeah it also included the 2% - 2.5% of credit card charges too. .. so the deal was 6.45k per tyre worked out to 25.8k and after haggling for the bargain + credit card charges + buyback of old treads. .. I paid 24.8k... now I don't know whether I got a raw deal but that's what it is.

The shop is Prince tyres on LBS Road... opposite Johnson&Johnson. .. behind Shri Ganpati Temple
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am seriously thinking of downsizing the tyres for my Xylo E4.

From the existing 215/75/R15 to the 205/65/R15 being used on the Xylo D2 variant.

Advantages I foresee :

1. The reduced tyre sidewall height (by 28 mm) and consequent reduction in the seat height with respect to the road will help in easier ingress for my older folks.

2. Reduced body roll, again as the vehicle will sit over an inch lower, and better handling with the lower profile of the tyres.

3. Reduced chances of rollover in case of tyre burst due to the smaller tyre profile. A good benefit for a tall MUV like the Xylo.

4. Marginal increase in FE, due to reduced contact patch.

5. Increase in the low end torque due to smaller wheel diameter.

6. Lower unsprung weight due to the lighter / smaller tyres, again leading to better handling.

Disadvantages:

1. Harsher ride due to lower tyre sidewall height.

2. Reduced grip.

Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong anywhere on the above
Old 12th February 2015, 13:41   #25
BHPian

Hi Experts,

I have a Xylo E9 mHawk nearing 40K in 2.3 years and I have already started to look for new set of shoes for my ride. I am kind of an enthusiast and like to keep my vehicle in top-notch condition (both Interior and Exterior and pcpranav is my car-guru in the technical department as i know him personally ) including tyres, and try to keep them shining with some kind of polish. Also tried applying glycerine with equal amount of water and it did give a shining look. Had read about this on TBHP only that glycerine helps to keep rubber soft and supple and it is often used as a lubricant in rubber industries. This is not the topic of discussion though..

After 38K kms, the treads on my tyres are still half though I do not mean to use it for another 38K kms..I am looking for tyre change around 50K or may be 55K. I have BS-D AT 215/75 R15 tyres as stock and so far I have experienced only 2 punctures on just 1 tyre. The stepney is unused and now it is difficult to rotate owing to tread wear on the 4 tyres. Need expert reviews and suggestions on considering below tyres as replacement to the BS-D not because I am not satisfied with BS but just as an option to see some different shoes on the ride.
I am not thinking about Yokos right now owing to its short life because of soft rubber and weak side walls (not that I do too much of off-roading but just as a caution) and hence have below options on my mind. pls. help in deciding which would be a better option if I don't want to continue with BS and Yokos.

1. MRF Wanderer (215/75 R15) - approx 5200 a piece
2. Goodyear Wrangler - approx. 5200 a piece (215/75 and it also comes in 235/75) is upsizing in width a good option ?
3. Falken wildpeak - approx. 6000 a piece
4. Continental Cross Contact (not sure about its availability though)
5. Apollo Aptera - approx. 5700 a piece

BS and Yokos are near about at the same price bracket of 6500 (+- 200).

I am a bit inclined towards MRF Wrangler being Indian brand for Indian roads.

Awaiting inputs from experts..

Regards,
Rahul K
Old 23rd February 2015, 15:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Hi Experts,

I have a Xylo E9 mHawk nearing 40K in 2.3 years and I have already started to look for new set of shoes for my ride.
Hey Rahul,
no guru here, everyday is a learning!
though we are just a call (or whatsapp!) away, missed talking to u on this one. today got to this thread. with proper care (not creams, haha!), you can easily run current BS tyres for 70K++ KM. maybe by then, some more options available for you :-) ?

I had earlier penned my experience with Yoko. Already done 31K KM on it, without any issues, touch-wood.
These days many Xylo seen with MRF-W and GY-W tyres, wherein the price maybe prime consideration ?

regards,
Old 24th February 2015, 10:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rahul,
you can easily run current BS tyres for 70K++ KM.

I had earlier penned my experience with Yoko. Already done 31K KM on it, without any issues, touch-wood.
These days many Xylo seen with MRF-W and GY-W tyres, wherein the price maybe prime consideration ?
Hello Sir.. I know you have done 78K kms on your BS-D and now already 31K on the yokos which is a complete VFM for the BS-D and will be the same for yokos as well..

I have seen MRF-W more on the Dusters and Yokos on the Xylo's during my office drives. Saw some Scorpios with MRF-W as well but not seen any GY-W on Xylo's so far..you may have a different experience though. My experience so far with BS-D has been good and I think with proper care (alignment, rotation, balancing etc and some fair-n-lovely as well ) I should be able to get another 20K atleast on my existing set of tyres. 70k may be a distant possiblity as that could also mean wear n tear of the suspension owing to reduced tread, grip and hardening rubber with age.

My intention of going with MRF-W was because of slightly hard rubber and price. I don't drive my car daily and hence an additional 1000-1200 per tyre could be a saving..read some people saying MRF-W felt better than BS-D and it could also be a mental game with the lot going with BS-D. If it wasn't the case, Duster wouldn't come with MRF-W or it could be for lesser cost as well.

After reading about the side walls issues with some yokos, I though of zeroing with MRF-W or stay put with BS-D. Rest of the options I mentioned could well be out of reach owing to various parameters. As you rightly said, I have still 20K to go and there could be other options as well..checked with the newly opened MRF showroom on GB Road, and he quoted 5600 per tyre which I feel could be further negotiated if finalized. BS-D is 6500 in Thane.

Regards,
Old 9th August 2015, 17:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo - Tyre Upgrade (Bridgestone Dueler AT to Michelin Latitude Cross)

Hi All,

Michelin Latitude Cross has done about 25000KMs so far and has seen lot of action hence thought of sharing my feedback.

1) Road grip is amazing compared to Dueler ATs. Braking has certainly improved than it used to be. Cornering capabilities are definitely good with Latitudes.
2) Still going strong after 25000KMs of usage including those on really bad terrains of Kerala high-range. With more than 50% life left, all 4 tyres look good to cover another 25000KMs.
3) Road noise has never been a problem. Not able to compare being a really loud Diesel unit .
Old 18th August 2015, 13:06   #29
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo - Tyre Upgrade (Bridgestone Dueler AT to Michelin Latitude Cross)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi All,

Michelin Latitude Cross has done about 25000KMs so far and has seen lot of action hence thought of sharing my feedback.

1) Road grip is amazing compared to Dueler ATs. Braking has certainly improved than it used to be. Cornering capabilities are definitely good with Latitudes.
2) Still going strong after 25000KMs of usage including those on really bad terrains of Kerala high-range. With more than 50% life left, all 4 tyres look good to cover another 25000KMs.
3) Road noise has never been a problem. Not able to compare being a really loud Diesel unit .
Hi jacs, good to read about your experience in M-LC. wishing you many more happy & safe miles ahead.

a bit of update from my side too :
My Yoko have already done 48000 KMs, and the thread is still quite good. the griping & braking is very good, liked them during my Spiti trip in May'15.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 20:01   #30
BHPian

Xylo current ODO = ~143700 KM. Yoko has already run over 62K KM (period about 28 months), without a single puncture (touchwood!) - but till a few days ago!

First puncture: 26-Jan'16:
Morning when I went near the vehicle, saw the Front-Left tyre with quite less air. I took out my Coido electric pump and filled some air, then and went out driving slowly to a regular tyre shop (with whom I sometimes get NO2 refilled). In between I stopped to check the tyre, and found two metal objects :

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-one1.jpg
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-one2.jpg

I gently touched both objects, but didnt mess much and continued to tyre shop. Later it was found that object (yellow highlight) was just superficial and only the nail (red highlight) was the real puncture, which was immediately rectified. got the NO2 checked in all tyres, all OK.

Second puncture: 07-Feb'16
After previous day's long trip, y'day morning I had to return back and morning went near the vehicle for general inspection; immediately I noticed this nail (red highlight) on Rear-Right tyre. Drove slowly to nearby tyre shop and got it rectified, and got air checked in all tyres, all OK.

Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-two.jpg

overall Im happy with Yoko, esp the grip & braking. Though Im quite regular in Alignment & Balancing tasks, off-late I have seen some uneven wear in some areas, will get it again checked. As told by few tyre shops in recent times, and also I feel, they will still last quite long. hope for the best.

regards,

Most Viewed