Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 14:09   #316
BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I'm aware that there has been numerous discussions on the tyres for EcoSport. Especially for Michelin Primacy ST. Tyre gurus please help

I want to know which of these tyres below are better for highways( 2 lanes and broken roads) and mild off road usage. Also handling and steering feedback shouldn't be compromised either. I'm open to other tyres or brands as well if user feedback is good
  • Yokohama Earth 1/Blue Earth
  • Michelin Primacy ST
  • MRF perfinza
  • Apollo apterra
  • Kenda( not sure about its longevity nor have I seen many reviews on this)

I've clocked 40k on my present MRF ZV2K tyres and still there's some thread life left but the road noise is a lot, so I'm thinking of replacing the tyres in another fee thousand KM's
Old 30th October 2020, 16:02   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlehead View Post
Went through this long thread and realised how much tyre availability has progressed (eg. sheer variety in Michelin’s). I had the following question for folks who’ve upgraded:

1) My stock tyres are 195/65/R15, the plan is to upgrade to 205/65/R16. Primary purpose is to better the stiff ride quality. Would this upgrade be recommended given the objective or is it advisable that I stick to the stock sizes?

2) I’m considering Michelin P4ST and I wanted to check if folks who’ve upgraded experienced any concerns with the sidewalls etc. given the softer compound. Also, any feedback on the ride quality or recommendations for other tyres in this size range is welcome.

3) Any feedback / experiences about tyre shops in Mumbai (western suburbs) would also be greatly appreciated. I’ve heard decent feedback about Bombay Tyres and Saifee in Santacruz West but never experienced them first hand.
Update:

I went ahead and got myself the Yokohoma BluEarth AR50s for 5,500 apiece. I know that they have launched the 51s now but I wasn't able to find them at any outlets nearby and had a highway run with the family so didn't want to push my luck with my current tyres.

Did an expressway trip and the car was certainly better planted than the stock Good Years I was running. The ride is nominally more cushioned but I want to give it a few more miles to ensure it isn't a placebo. Overall, thumbs up to the Yoko's albeit I haven't experienced the Ecssport in the P4ST so can't compare.
Old 30th October 2020, 16:08   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
I'm aware that there has been numerous discussions on the tyres for EcoSport. Especially for Michelin Primacy ST. Tyre gurus please help

I want to know which of these tyres below are better for highways( 2 lanes and broken roads) and mild off road usage. Also handling and steering feedback shouldn't be compromised either. I'm open to other tyres or brands as well if user feedback is good
  • Michelin Primacy ST
  • MRF perfinza
  • Apollo apterra

I've clocked 40k on my present MRF ZV2K tyres and still there's some thread life left but the road noise is a lot, so I'm thinking of replacing the tyres in another fee thousand KM's
Having driven the BluEarth I did not think the driving was compromised, steering feedback was solid and the car felt like it hugged the road really tight. No first-hand experience but the tyre dealer was complaining about the Apterra and weak sidewalls (showed me a few pieces too) so you may want to look into that. He was upselling the Yokos vs the Michelin's but that was also since he didn't have P4ST in stock and he wanted to make a sale. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong between the first two choices, will let the experts comment on the bottom three.
throttlehead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 17:22   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post

• Michelin Primacy ST
  • MRF perfinza
  • Apollo apterra

Hi Jithin! I have no hands-on experience on any of the tires so giving the gyaan from multiple posts I have read online.

• MRF Perfinza is a performance tire so its on the softer side. Would drive well on tarmac but may not be recommended for broken/off road stretches.
  • Apollo Apterra is a rugged one as its a standard fit on the Duster. I expect it to be as noisy as the MRF ZVTV.
  • Kenda is a low-cost-high-life kind of tire preferred by cabbies. Have not seen it on owner cars yet.

I personally feel Yokos give the best VFM offering in terms price, comfort, performance and life. If you have the budget for the Michelin Primacy 4ST, go for it.

P.S: I am also in the planning phase of tyre-change for my Ecosport (not because of kms done but mostly due to age (7 yrs). I am not driving much so have pushed it to next year.

Last edited by srinath34 : 30th October 2020 at 17:25. Reason: added PS note
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 00:36   #320

Hey everyone,

I am Punith, a Software engineer by profession and entrepreneur by passion. This is my first post on this forum. Very grateful and excited to be part of the community.

I do have a docx in making, sharing my experience buying a pre owned ecosport in Bengaluru. But, as I had to go for a long trip of about 400+ kms very soon, I needed to change my tyres as soon as possible as they are pretty worn out and have started developing cracks in them.

So far, my options are
* Yokohama Earth1
* Yokohama Bluearth
* Good old Goodyear

I have read in this thread that many owners have got the Yokohama's and would help if you guys can share your experience. Also, people in Bengaluru, can anyone point me towards a good dealer who quotes decent pricing in and around South Bengaluru. A dealer near my home is quoting 7k/ tyre for Goodyear

Thanks everyone !!
Old 18th November 2020, 08:56   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punith View Post

So far, my options are
* Yokohama Earth1
* Yokohama Bluearth
* Good old Goodyear

I have read in this thread that many owners have got the Yokohama's and would help if you guys can share your experience. Also, people in Bengaluru, can anyone point me towards a good dealer who quotes decent pricing in and around South Bengaluru. A dealer near my home is quoting 7k/ tyre for Goodyear
I have no experience with the other two but do have quite a bit of experience on the Yoko Earth -1 tires. While they are not as comfort oriented as the Michelins, they are definitely sturdy and well buit tires which offer a good mix of handling and decent ride, and also score well on the longevity front. You can definitely consider the Earth-1 tires. Other members can pitch in on the Bluearths, which is a more recent model from Yokohama.

How has your experience with the Goodyears been thus far, in terms of comfort and longevity?

AS for dealers, try Madhus at Wiison Garden just before the Lalbagh Circle - I have purchased both sets of my Yokohamas from them. The owner Nikhil is a D-BHPian, by the way.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:08   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
AS for dealers, try Madhus at Wiison Garden just before the Lalbagh Circle - I have purchased both sets of my Yokohamas from them. The owner Nikhil is a D-BHPian, by the way.
but the prices quoted there are among the highest. Was about to go ahead and upsize all 4 of our tyres to 205s (including alloys) but got them for cheaper elsewhere.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:40   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
but the prices quoted there are among the highest. Was about to go ahead and upsize all 4 of our tyres to 205s (including alloys) but got them for cheaper elsewhere.
I see - was not aware of the price differences. Actually, I haven't really shopped around for better prices on the occasions when I have got tire changes done, because the prices quoted by them seemed fair at the time, and more importantly, the service levels are very good at Madhus. Have stuck to them for all my tire requirements so far.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 22:22   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I have no experience with the other two but do have quite a bit of experience on the Yoko Earth -1 tires. While they are not as comfort oriented as the Michelins, they are definitely sturdy and well buit tires which offer a good mix of handling and decent ride, and also score well on the longevity front. You can definitely consider the Earth-1 tires. Other members can pitch in on the Bluearths, which is a more recent model from Yokohama.

How has your experience with the Goodyears been thus far, in terms of comfort and longevity?

Hey arindambasu13, Thanks for your reply. After seeing many threads, I think I will also be going with the Earth-1.
I did try contatcting Madhus for prices, they are on the higher side, I think I'll be ordering either from TyreMarket or Amazon, its much cheaper there. After confirming the Manufacturing date.

As per my experience with the Goodyears, I think it was quite decent. Not very bad. Ride was smooth and tyres held up well even after 40k+ kms, maybe I could have used a couple thousand kms, but I have started feeling the lesser grip. Maybe most of my driving was in good roads, my experience is quite different comparatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post

Hello TheHelix,
Yes, I did enquire the prices, they are well above market price. Thank you
punith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:31   #325

Hey all, An update on the tyre change.

I ended up going for the Yokohama Earth 1. After enquiring with almost 5-6 dealers and getting too high quotes, ended up using tyresnmore. I was hesitant initially, but chose Pay on delivery to be on the safer side. To my surprise I received a call within 10 mins of placing the order, and they also fixed a slot on the same day

I talked to the executive before fixing the slot and enquired about the manufacturing date, to which they told they cannot confirm exact date, but guaranteed it'll be the same year. I did not want to buy more than 6 months old tyres and told the executive that, if they are more than 6 months old, I'll cancel the order, to which they promptly agreed. Surprisingly, I received very new tyres (4120).

Only negative experience is that the mechanic in hurry, did scratch a little on my rims. Maybe, I could have been more attentive. This could be easily avoided. They also did the balancing. I went to a nearby shop and got the allignment done.
Overall a nice experience, would use their service again. Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20201119_163847.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20201119_163952.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20201119_164234.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20201119_164536.jpg  

punith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 20:27   #326
Senior - BHPian

Stock tyres have to be replaced...size is 205/50/R17. Looks like Yokohama or Continental or Michelin don't have rubber in this spec. Can someone suggest better available options other than Bridgestone? or even the preferable variant in Bridgestone if that's the only option.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:41   #327
BHPian

So I've been running the Yoko BlueEarth RV02 on my 2018 Ecosport Titanium Tdci for the past 2 years or so. I've clocked about 58000 km at the time of writing this, and the tyres could do another 5-8k easily. I've used the tyres in all sort of conditions barring snow, and the worst I've had to endure is a slow puncture..2 actually.
I live in a tier 3 town, roads in and around the town aren't great, have to venture on unpaved surfaces occasionally as well. Had to panic brake 3-4 times, no drama there. No squealing, no skidding, nothing. Very low noise, and it has stayed this way since the beginning, not like the Conti MC5 which starts out great but becomes quite noisy towards the end. All i hear in my car on a reasonably good road is the engine, and the occasional tailgate rattle.
What's not so great is the ride comfort. I wouldn't call them hard, but they don't really soften the Ecosport's ride the way the P4ST or MC5 does. Sometimes i can tell when the tyre runs over the centre markings on a road! Though this also means that the steering feedback is good.
The RV02 is a tyre optimised for C-SUVs and crossovers, and from what I've experienced over a short 100km ride with the Earth-1, the RV02 is much superior. Also, it's reasonably rugged,
Just putting it out here for everyone, as I've not really seen much chatter about this tyre.
DrAakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:43   #328
BHPian

I have covered a mere 15K on my stock MRF ZV2Ks. But feel like I'm ready to part with them due to below:
  1. Terrible road noise
  2. Spare wheel is bust with sidewall tear and needs replacement

I was planning for the obvious shift to Michelin Primacy STs 205 65 R16 (stock size). The tire dealer also suggested moving to a Continental Ultra Comfort 6 215 60 R16. Had few concerns around the Conti UC6 -
1. Are they worth the extra cash?
2. Will ride be compromised with the thinner profile?
3. Will the added width cause trouble with steering?

Thanks in advance
Old 16th December 2020, 11:31   #329
BHPian

Same here...terrible road noise from the ZV2Ks after a mere 15ks and a little over 3 yrs.

I too am seriously considering the Conti UC6. I would say stick to the stock 205/60/16 size which is most suitable to the Ecosport.
Old 26th December 2020, 19:04   #330
BHPian

Replaced my Yoko RV02 with UC6 a couple of days ago. RV02 ran 60k and still over 3 mm of tread left, but i felt that they were getting hard and compromising the ride quality. I drive an Ecosport diesel, tyres are stock sized, 205/60 R16. I paid ₹26k for them, it comes to 6500 per tyre. This price includes buyback for the old tyres, alignment, balancing, and new air valves.
Anyway, drove almost 500 km in these 2 days or so, over a wide variety of roads, country, state highways, national highways, broken mountain roads.. Almost everything.
Three things stand out for me. First, the ride quality is plush, the Yoko always had a hard edge to them, it wasn't uncomfortable, but you could just feel that 'thunk' from the suspension over sharp bumps. Now it still feels firm, but not crashy as before.
Second, they're quiet, really quiet. Sometimes on good roads, combined with the relatively plush ride, it feels like the car is gliding. The Yoko wasn't loud either, even after 60k km, but there was an underlying hum which you could hear, i wouldn't call it obtrusive though. But there's a segment of road on my daily commute of 120 km, that makes the UC6 roar, thankfully it's a fast straight and it passes in like 3 seconds.
Third, they grip well. I can feel the car changing direction quicker when i turn the steering wheel. My wife felt that i was being too aggressive with the steering inputs.
The only con i could find so far is that the steering feels a tad less chatty to me. Maybe cuz they're softer, i don't know.
All in all, a good decision, I'd say. It fixed the one problem i had with the Yokos, the silence and the grip are added benefits.

Most Viewed