Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:36   #106
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
The only thing different about my car has been the use of tires - over the 15K kms that i have done on ecosport, i have had the opportunity to try 3 different tire variations : 15/195/65 (MRF) ; 16/215/60 (Bridgestone) and 16/205/60 (Goodyear)
So which tyre are you running on now? 16/215/60? Even taking into account the speedo error, the difference is huge. I get 10kmpl. I am not a sedate driver, but even when i used to drive sedately during the first 2500kms, I never got anything more than 12-13kmpl.

if you don't mind telling, what is the average speed displayed in the MID? That is a good indicator of the traffic situation and your driving style.
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:04   #107
BHPian

re: Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

What is the normal buy back value expected for a set of Titanium alloys and tires? And is it okay to go for 225/50/17? The error percentage is around 0.68%. Advisable?
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:54   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
So which tyre are you running on now? 16/215/60? Even taking into account the speedo error, the difference is huge. I get 10kmpl. I am not a sedate driver, but even when i used to drive sedately during the first 2500kms, I never got anything more than 12-13kmpl.

if you don't mind telling, what is the average speed displayed in the MID? That is a good indicator of the traffic situation and your driving style.
Hi blacksport, i am on 16/205/60 now- the speedo error would only add to my case as it was calibrated for 15 inchers. Mine is ambient spec and doesn't have avg speed on default however i don't take any specific precautions while driving

i didn't realize that i was the odd one out here
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:06   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Hi blacksport, i am on 16/205/60 now- the speedo error would only add to my case as it was calibrated for 15 inchers. Mine is ambient spec and doesn't have avg speed on default however i don't take any specific precautions while driving

i didn't realize that i was the odd one out here
With the 205 the speedo error should be around 3% and you get a lot more than the speedo error would give.

BTW, it is good that you got rid of the 215. The difference in circumference is around 5% in that case, which is enough to play foul with your powertrain and suspension.
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:23   #110
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, it is good that you got rid of the 215. The difference in circumference is around 5% in that case, which is enough to play foul with your powertrain and suspension.
What about an upgrade from 205/60/16 (stock on Titanium) to 225/50/17?
Will it have any harsh effects? And by harsh I mean damage to the suspension etc. I can compromise a bit on ride quality.
Old 24th June 2014, 09:00   #111
BHPian

Quote:
With the 205 the speedo error should be around 3% and you get a lot more than the speedo error would give.

I miss the comfort and grip from the 215. If I had a diesel or ecoboost I wouldn't have downgraded to 205
Old 30th June 2014, 19:17   #112
BHPian

I got my Moondust Silver Titanium(o) Ecosport on 22 june after a wait of almost 6.5 months. It came with MRF tyres. I changed the tyres to Apollo Alnac 4g in the the same size.

The MRF tyres seemed OK to me in the short time I drove on them. May be a little noise, but otherwise no issues I could detect in bumper to bumper traffic. Had decided to change them based on the general opinion in this forum and among tyre people whom I talked to. Everybody seemed to mention about braking distance.

Didnt want to take the softer tyres like Yokohama DNA DB and Michelin Primacy 3 as I wanted to hit any rough patch without secondary thoughts of soft side walls.

Not sure whether Alnac 4G falls into a soft tyre category. Went for it based on ggod feedback about Apollo Accelere tyres. Also influential was some good reviews from Europe and Volkswagen using Apollo tyres as OEM.

The ride seems comfortable(the MRFs came inflated with 35+ psi) and less noisy than MRF. Not been on a highway to know anything more. They look better than the MRFs.

Got a price of INR 3800 per MRF tyre and had to pay INR 6600 per Alnac 4g. The Yokohamas were quoted at 8k+ and Michelin Primacy 3 at 9800(which was too much for my already stretched budget). I still feel the MRFs aren't half as bad as they are made out to be and weren't I in this forum, I might not have bothered to change them.

So Iam probably one of the earliest users of Alnac 4g on this forum, especially on Ecosport. Keeping fingers crossed!!
Old 4th July 2014, 17:01   #113
BHPian

I am about to take delivery of a Moon dust silver Titanium (o) in a few days. Already got to know that the tyres of my vehicle will be MRF. Has asked around tyre shops here and the only good option available here in the stock size (205/60/16) is Michelin 3ST, which is slightly above my budget. Also am concerned with the quicker wear.

I have been using Bridgestone Turanza in my earlier vehicles and am quite happy with its overall performance. However, I am told that in the stock size, fresh stock of the same is not available. Only option will be to go for Turanza GR 90 in the size 215/60/16. The difference is within the recommended limit (1.84%). Will it be advisable to go for it? Will that affect my warranty? Please advise.

Last edited by CoolFire : 4th July 2014 at 17:02.
Old 4th July 2014, 17:37   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
I am about to take delivery of a Moon dust silver Titanium (o) in a few days. Already got to know that the tyres of my vehicle will be MRF. Has asked around tyre shops here and the only good option available here in the stock size (205/60/16) is Michelin 3ST, which is slightly above my budget. Also am concerned with the quicker wear.
You also get goodyear Assurance in that size which is the other OE tyres on the Ecosport.

I had the same bad luck. Got MRF. Next day went to Madhus and exchanged them for the Goodyear's. don't remember exactly what I paid but since your changing new tyres you get a good price.

The Goodyear Assurance is not as good as the P3ST but it's significantly cheaper. Secondly I did not want to put premium tyres on a car that was going to see a lot of bad roads. A sidewall bulge or cut would have left me with a heartache.
Old 4th July 2014, 17:45   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you want a long lasting tyre, why dont you look at Yokohama S Drives? The only problem is that it will be a low profile tyre. Think it's only available in 205/50/R16 for the Ecosport range. It's got amazing grip, stiffer sidewall and long lasting (atleast that's what I experienced on my Swift for which I used two sets). Michelin will be comfortable but expensive. Also, it's got a softer sidewall and chances of faster wear. I have 3ST as a spare on my Ecosport but the car is running on MRF .
Old 4th July 2014, 20:33   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Secondly I did not want to put premium tyres on a car that was going to see a lot of bad roads. A sidewall bulge or cut would have left me with a heartache.
That obviously is a concern, but in my experience Bridgestone Turanza can withstand most type of roads our country can throw up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
If you want a long lasting tyre, why dont you look at Yokohama S Drives? The only problem is that it will be a low profile tyre. Think it's only available in 205/50/R16 for the Ecosport range.
Thanks for the suggestion, though am afraid of ride getting bumpier with Ecosport's stock setup.
Old 4th July 2014, 20:42   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That obviously is a concern, but in my experience Bridgestone Turanza can withstand most type of roads our country can throw up.
I recommended Goodyear cause you don't get Bridgestone in that size. Maybe the ancient Potenza or GR-90 which will be priced more than the P3ST.
Old 4th July 2014, 21:00   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I recommended Goodyear cause you don't get Bridgestone in that size. Maybe the ancient Potenza or GR-90 which will be priced more than the P3ST.
The Turanza is quoted at my place much lower than the P3ST. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Will come back after checking exact prices.
Old 4th July 2014, 21:11   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Turanza is quoted at my place much lower than the P3ST. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Will come back after checking exact prices.
Which Turanza? ER-60 (discontinued model), AR-20, AR-10, ER-300?

Not all Turanza's are same.
Old 5th July 2014, 11:20   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Which Turanza? ER-60 (discontinued model), AR-20, AR-10, ER-300?

Not all Turanza's are same.
It is Turanza ER370. Said to be a new series, have seen it at the shop today. Checked the tag, made in India. Size is 215/60/16. Price quoted is 8,800/-. P3ST is 10,500/- here.

Most Viewed