Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 22:55   #121
BHPian

re: Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Got the vehicle today. Went for the Turanza ER 370 mentioned above. Dealer gave a very good price for the MRFs - around 5 K apiece. Had to pay only 19,200 for upgrading the full set of five. Quite happy with the grip and ride now, especially given the harder compound and stiffer sidewalls compared to Michelin 3PST . Will further update on the tyre after crunching some miles.
Old 20th August 2014, 17:06   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
I have exacty the same query!

A friend is expecting delivery of his Ambienette 1.5L Petrol by end of May. He is a manager at a Tea Garden and has to regularly deal with unpaved roads which do turn slippery in the rains (not offroading!). So he was looking at getting some AT Tyres that would deal better with the slush!

This trim comes with 195/65R15 as stock tyres.

He is looking to upgrade to the 205/70 R15 Yokohama Geolander AT-S:

Attachment 1238085

Attachment 1238084

Attachment 1238083

This would be a 5.2% increase in wheel diameter compared to stock size which sounds a bit too much! However, increase in wheel diameter would only be 2.3% if we compare with the Titanium's 205/60 R16 stock tires.

The sidewall height would increase by 17mm from 126.75mm to 143.75mm, resulting in improved ride quality and increased ground clearance!

On paper, this looks all good:

+ Much better grip on muddy unpaved roads
+ Increased ground clearance from 205 to 220+ mm
+ Improved ride quality due to increased sidewall height
+ Better aesthetics & more SUVish looks

But, has anybody done this before? Is this doable? Any cons?
I am also seriously contemplating this tyre upgrade for my base ecosport. anybody on forum who has used or seen this tyre size on an ecosport. What the gurus say on this matter. I know warranty will be void, but will it also cause wheel clearance problems under full load? please reply fast. I am going for continental cross contact a/t 205/70-15.
Old 20th August 2014, 17:27   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
I am going for continental cross contact a/t 205/70-15.
205/65 R15 is the right size; Innova and Tavera uses the same size so i guess many options would be available in that size.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 17:37   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
205/65 R15 is the right size; Innova and Tavera uses the same size so i guess many options would be available in that size.
can you please suggest some good a/t or h/t tyre in 205/65-15. it will be very helpful for me. I am planning zanskar trip next month hence looking for tough tyre with tough sidewalls. thanks anyway.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:01   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
I am also seriously contemplating this tyre upgrade for my base ecosport. anybody on forum who has used or seen this tyre size on an ecosport. What the gurus say on this matter. I know warranty will be void, but will it also cause wheel clearance problems under full load? please reply fast. I am going for continental cross contact a/t 205/70-15.
I suggest you stick to stock size. And if you got Goodyear, don't even think about getting anything else. It is not worth it. Spend your money elsewhere. Check the main thread, somebody had upgraded to bigger size, found it unusable and eventually downgraded.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 16:36   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
googled today and found Ceat Czar H/T and Apollo Hawkz H/T are available in 205/65-15 size. Has anybody used above said tyres and how's their performance in various terrains. thanks bhpians for all the advise. will anybody recommend any of these tyre?
Old 26th May 2015, 12:39   #127
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

OK I got Goodyears - Ecosport AT - 205/60/R16 from the factory.

Have run about 28,000 kms.

Will change between 30-35,000 kms - though possibly the tyres can last till at least 40,000 kms.

I have added the Rogers Suspension / Shocks kit to soften the ride. It cost Rs. 8500 and was worth it. The car does not hit the potholes with that hard a recoil and is in general a lot lot more comfortable.

Am looking for/ can live with:

1) Better Looks - Wider, Sportier

2) A feeling of greater stability while cornering - Reducing the slightly twitchy feel of the steering. Looking for more of an on Rails feel. Read "Wider shoes".

3) I tend to rev the engine a fair bit and like the roar and the urgent acceleration of the 1.5 ltr engine. It is fun, though the efficiency when driven hence drops to just 9 kmpl instead of the very possible 10.5-11 kmpl. It's all about the mood and also the traffic. Rarely use the sport mode though. Do use the kick down mode a fair bit. So don't want too much of a drop in power due to too big a tyre.

4) Want to keep the Km / ODO counter more or less 100% accurate for fun drives like the blind man car rally etc, else with a tyre upsize that significantly increases ODO error such fun rallies loose a bit of the fun element due to the hassle of additional back of the hand calculations.

5) I can live with the slush and mud thrown up on the side body of the vehicle due to a wider tyre. That is not too much of an issue though is some kind of plastic add-ons could make the fenders / wheel arch wider it would be great.

6) Lesser Punchers / No blowouts. My current Left side has 10 punchers while the right has none. The rear left infact has 8 holes (4 were sadly a single incident where I possibly drove the car a bit too long before realizing that I had a nail in the Tyre). But still since I tend to drive on the shoulders of the road to wiggle out of traffic at times I do pick up a lot of nails. And a tyre that resists that and has stronger side walls would be appreciated. That said the current Goodyears have had decent tyre walls but are average in all other aspects. So will not repeat them.

7) Even if I change tyre size I will probably keep the totally new spare in the current size itself as I have done this previously and for short drives a spare of a slightly different size does not matter and secondly I have a spare wheel cover and that may not take a larger tyre.

8) The Original Alloys are 16" they look very good (best this side of 20L cars) and I see no need to spend a big amount to change them so the R16 specification will remain as is. I could later look at repainting them in the Dark Titanium shade but that is not critical at this point of time.

Now am looking at validation / disagreement on the above & below lines of thought. Pls feel free to dispute my logic. I am NOT an expert on Tyres and yet have changed a lot of them over the years and like almost anyone have a biased view about them:

Options with tyre Diameter remaining same + Not going any narrower:

Plan to keep changes below the permissible 2-4% at max.

Original: 205/60R16 - Bored will change, am kinda ok with possibility of loss in warranty with change of tire size and hence have as yet not extended car warranty beyond the current 2 year basic. But may still extent to 4 yrs.

1) Option1: 225/55R16: 0.23% greater circumference - as good as no change in Diameter. So ODO will remain accurate. But this will imply a wider more stable tyre? With greater traction and friction hence should expect up to 5%? drop in efficiency. Wider should look better. But this should be as comfortable if not more than the current if I select a similar or better quality brand / model. This is currently my most preferred change and there are tyre models available in this size but I don't think any of them are SUV / AT tyres. RANK I

2) Option2: 225/60R16: 3.7% more circumference - borderline or slightly beyond the limit size, may foul with the fenders. Significant ODO error. But should be more comfortable in terms of handling potholes for which I am NOT prepared to try R15 nor 65 profile in 205 or 195 width. RANK II

3) Option3: +1.9% greater circumference - Within limits of size change and greater dia makes this attractive but this may not make it too much wider in looks or stability and the ODO error of about 2% will be present. Is it worth considering this. RANK III

4) Option4: 215/60R16: 215/55R16: -1.5% lesser circumference - Within limits of size change but lesser dia may mean a harsher ride that I certainly do not want. So then only for a very slightly wider tyre I loose all other aspects that I am looking for so am NOT likely to go for this change . RANK IV

As seen above my mind and heart seems to suggest that I go for Option 1 Rank I, else through caution to the wind and go for Option Rank II at the cost of ODO / Trip meter error.

Availability of SUV / AT tyres in Option II or III could tend to tip me in favour of that path.

Any thoughts? I do know that conventional wisdom would say that EcoSport is not really that high powered to require a 225 width tyre and better quality tyre is what matters first. I do intend to go for better quality tyres for sure but this is about which size do I search for those tyres in.

By the way I have used 225/55R16 Yoko ES 501 in my Laura (factory 205/55/R16) L&K AT PD which was 105 bhp vs the 115 of the EcoSport.

I am tending towards Michelin, Yoko, Bridgestone in that order as far as the brands are concerned right now.

I would be buying in July start, suggestions appreciated.
Old 26th May 2015, 17:41   #128
Team-BHP Support

For the power the Ecosport AT has on offer, 205 itself is overkill. anything more will impact performance and efficiency and is pointless.

Just change to better rubber in same OE size like the new Michelin Primacy P3ST or the Continental max contact MC5.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 14:56   #129
BHPian

I am Upgrading my ecosport D tires to Michilen Pilot Sport 3 size 225/50 R16". How good it will be? Need your advice
Old 28th May 2015, 15:08   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijodavis View Post
I am Upgrading my ecosport D tires to Michilen Pilot Sport 3 size 225/50 R16". How good it will be? Need your advice
The tyres are good but here's my theory. A 1.2 tonne heavy vehicle like the Ecosport with a relatively small 1.5L engine and only 90bhp shod with huge 225 size tyres which you normally see on BMW, Audi with 180BHP.

Doesn't it seem overkill. You are already making a car which is not that quick in the first place even slower.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 15:13   #131
BHPian

I just want more comfort. Will PS3 gives more comfort that's the main point, I want to know. Also I want to know about the reduction in ground clearance too.
Old 28th May 2015, 15:49   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I just want more comfort. Will PS3 gives more comfort that's the main point, I want to know. Also I want to know about the reduction in ground clearance too.

The 225's would be an overkill in my opinion!
Hope you installed the DRL's too.
Old 28th May 2015, 15:53   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Try the P3ST is the OEM size. Will be better than OE.
Old 29th May 2015, 14:00   #134
Senior - BHPian

Inline Responses Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I have added the Rogers Suspension / Shocks kit to soften the ride. It cost Rs. 8500 and was worth it.
I need some details about this please. Where to buy and some detailed experience. I too have the 1.5 P AT.

Am looking for/ can live with:

1) Better Looks - Wider, Sportier
2) A feeling of greater stability while cornering - Reducing the slightly twitchy feel of the steering. Looking for more of an on Rails feel. Read "Wider shoes".
3) I tend to rev the engine a fair bit and like the roar and the urgent acceleration of the 1.5 ltr engine. It is fun, though the efficiency when driven hence drops to just 9 kmpl instead of the very possible 10.5-11 kmpl. It's all about the mood and also the traffic. Rarely use the sport mode though. Do use the kick down mode a fair bit. So don't want too much of a drop in power due to too big a tyre.
4) Want to keep the Km / ODO counter more or less 100% accurate for fun drives like the blind man car rally etc, else with a tyre upsize that significantly increases ODO error such fun rallies loose a bit of the fun element due to the hassle of additional back of the hand calculations.
5) I can live with the slush and mud thrown up on the side body of the vehicle due to a wider tyre. That is not too much of an issue though is some kind of plastic add-ons could make the fenders / wheel arch wider it would be great.

Instead of changing the Tyre Size, consider using the same tyre size but a better product, and Add Spacers? I don't think, that for the kind of use our vehicles see, Spacers will pose any problems.

I think all your above points are covered with this.

Original: 205/60R16 - Bored will change, am kinda ok with possibility of loss in warranty with change of tire size and hence have as yet not extended car warranty beyond the current 2 year basic. But may still extent to 4 yrs.

1) Option1: 225/55R16: 0.23% greater circumference - as good as no change in Diameter. So ODO will remain accurate. But this will imply a wider more stable tyre? With greater traction and friction hence should expect up to 5%? drop in efficiency. Wider should look better. But this should be as comfortable if not more than the current if I select a similar or better quality brand / model. This is currently my most preferred change and there are tyre models available in this size but I don't think any of them are SUV / AT tyres. RANK I

My recommendation too, if you do upsize. The AT, doesn't have Oodles of torque and a significant upsize will hurt bad.
Cheers.

Last edited by roy_libran : 29th May 2015 at 14:02.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:01   #135
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Inline Responses Sir.

Cheers.
http://www.rogermotors.com/rogerab/s...15223-cat.html

Ordered Rogers from their online site itself.

They have poor SEO SEM so the site does not pop up in an internet search easily. The product is quite good.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks