Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2015, 21:04   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

That's correct.

Continuing with some unasked advice now, you would do well to strike a deal for swapping out the tires before you actually pick up your car. This generally gets you better negotiated price compared to taking delivery and then driving down to the tire shop for the swap. In case you are in the same general location as the Fiat dealer, then Haryana Tires in NIT is a very nice shop to get the new rubber from. You can get a comprehensive package with say free N2 top up and an annual balancing & alignment kind of deal. This is apart from the balancing and alignment session that comes free with a new set of tires ( You can skip the initial alignment and have it done a month or so after changing tires and then also only if you feel the need for the same).

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopoco777 View Post
Thanks Khoj. This is good advice and i intend to put it to good use in next couple of days itself. Many thanx.

Just a clarification required on the age of tyres - so if the tyre is dated 1315, then (assuming 4 weeks/month). The manufacturing time of the tyre is 1st week of April, 2015. Correct?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 14:42   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That's correct.

Continuing with some unasked advice now, you would do well to strike a deal for swapping out the tires before you actually pick up your car. This generally gets you better negotiated price compared to taking delivery and then driving down to the tire shop for the swap. In case you are in the same general location as the Fiat dealer, then Haryana Tires in NIT is a very nice shop to get the new rubber from. You can get a comprehensive package with say free N2 top up and an annual balancing & alignment kind of deal. This is apart from the balancing and alignment session that comes free with a new set of tires ( You can skip the initial alignment and have it done a month or so after changing tires and then also only if you feel the need for the same).
Thanx Khoj...this is another piece of excellent advice.

I spoke to somebody at Haryana Tyres - they have offered a good price of Michelins (about 8500 bucks) but have quoted a low rate for exchange - only Rs5000.

My car is coming shod with Apollo Acceleres instead of Goodyears that normally come in Linea. The exchange value of Goodyears used to be 6000-6500. Even, I think Apollos are of the same range - why the low buyback.

A dealer near my place quoted 9800 for the Michelins but 6000 for the Apollos.

Overall, sort of a muddle

Since, i would be taking the delivery on sunday - i think i have time to work out the best stuff.
Old 17th June 2015, 08:12   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam using the Michelin Primacy 3ST (205/60/R16) and completed 6000kms till date and totally love the tyres. It has amazing grip and feels lot of rubber is in contact with the ground and not to mention its completely noiseless.

These tyres are as good as my previous set of tyres ( CPC2). Iam extremely happy with the Primacy 3ST and would highly recommend you to go for it

And, I do some unmentionable speeds on a "daily basis" and feel super confident with these tyres.
I am looking for a Tyre change for my Jetta (Stock size 205/55/R16). Option is between P3ST and GR90 in 215/55/R16.

Kindly let me know your experience with P3st till date and how much it has run. Has the grip level decreased after much use? Any suggestion will be of great help.
Old 18th June 2015, 10:30   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I am looking for a Tyre change for my Jetta (Stock size 205/55/R16). Option is between P3ST and GR90 in 215/55/R16.

Kindly let me know your experience with P3st till date and how much it has run. Has the grip level decreased after much use? Any suggestion will be of great help.
Sir,

While you wait for a reply from mobike, here is something from my experience. If most of your car drives happen with cities, semi-urban or rural areas with decent roads, I think 3ST is a very good choice. It is literally noise-less and results in very smooth drives. Breaking and cornering performance is good too. Michelins usually have soft rubber compound and if you tend to visit a lot of places with non-existent roads, there have been reported cases of side-wall tear.

I have used Michelin(175/65 R15) Energy XM1 on my ANHC since 2009 for around 5 years and 50k kms on the odometer and have been extremely happy. I am thus contemplating an upgrade to Michelin(195/60 R15) Primacy 3ST this weekend. Most of my drives so far have been in cities, or Highways(Hyderabad, Bangalore, Vijayawada) and a few semi-urban or rural places while visiting relatives.

I do not have much info on GR90 tires at the moment. All the best for your upgrade.

Regards,
Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 10:42   #170
BHPian

Quote:

I have covered almost 9k on my P3STs. Mostly city driving along with Mumbai-Pune expressway runs once a month. Overall its a premium set of rubber that offers a good package. Noise levels & comfort is it's forte, coupled with good grip. I won't say the grip is "the best in class", but it's no less either. Wet grip is equally or even better.

Regarding how prone it is to punctures and all, despite being a softer compound than other known brands, which is what Michelins have always been about, they still handle bad/rough surfaces really well. Side walls are not as delicate as one would think. They have definitely worked on it.

Bridgestone on the other hand is built more for abuse. If your drive usually includes broken roads and all then you can opt for it I suppose. But if it's it smooth roads more or less and highway runs, then P3STs won't disappoint you for sure.

Hope this helps.
Aston Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:15   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.kushagra View Post
What about Bridgestone Turanza GR90 or Goodyear Assurance?
I am now seriously confused cause P3ST will cost around 10k/tyre which, from my point of view, are pretty expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
If most of your car drives happen with cities, semi-urban or rural areas with decent roads, I think 3ST is a very good choice.
I have used Michelin(175/65 R15) Energy XM1 on my ANHC since 2009 for around 5 years and 50k kms on the odometer and have been extremely happy. I am thus contemplating an upgrade to Michelin(195/60 R15) Primacy 3ST this weekend.
Hello! I'm planning to swap my stock JK Elanzo NXT 205/60R16 on my yet-to-be-delivered S-Cross. I was looking for suggestions, and approximately 4 out of 5 are for the P3STs!

Are they really the best option for an upgrade from the stock tyres, considering that my usage is mostly (~ 95%) in city conditions? Conversely, are the Elanzo NXTs really as bad as they make of it? I've been offered 16000 as cashback for the new tyres, and hence asking

Also, I've used the Bridgestone Turanza ER60 on my Esteem and they've delivered very good all round performance for close to 45000 kms. Surprisingly, I do not see any recommendations for the Bridgestones lately.

BTW, the P3STs are quite pricey at 10000 bucks apiece!
Old 4th September 2015, 08:31   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Hello! I'm planning to swap my stock JK Elanzo NXT 205/60R16 on my yet-to-be-delivered S-Cross. I was looking for suggestions, and approximately 4 out of 5 are for the P3STs!

Are they really the best option for an upgrade from the stock tyres, considering that my usage is mostly (~ 95%) in city conditions? Conversely, are the Elanzo NXTs really as bad as they make of it? I've been offered 16000 as cashback for the new tyres, and hence asking

Also, I've used the Bridgestone Turanza ER60 on my Esteem and they've delivered very good all round performance for close to 45000 kms. Surprisingly, I do not see any recommendations for the Bridgestones lately.

Why dont you try the newly launched MRF Z sport or the MRF ZLOs , They are absolutely wonderful things .
Old 4th September 2015, 11:25   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are they really the best option for an upgrade from the stock tyres, considering that my usage is mostly (~ 95%) in city conditions?
As your usage is 95% within city, comfort oriented tyres can be tried - Pirelli / continental. GR90 has a very good feedback, but it is more expensive than P3ST. Since S-cross is a heavy car (?), Bridgestone would be good IMHO.
Old 4th September 2015, 14:50   #174
BHPian

Thanks for your response Gautam & Chethan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Why dont you try the newly launched MRF Z sport or the MRF ZLOs , They are absolutely wonderful things .
Are they really much better than the JK Elanzos? Sorry if I sound silly, but I haven't seen any recommendations for the ZLOs! Perhaps, its our obsession with everything foreign.

Quote:
As your usage is 95% within city, comfort oriented tyres can be tried - Pirelli / continental. GR90 has a very good feedback, but it is more expensive than P3ST. Since S-cross is a heavy car (?), Bridgestone would be good IMHO.
I'm given to understand that the JK Elanzos (SUV tyres) would turn hard very soon, say after 5000 kms?! My dealer is recommending Goodyear Assurance tyres as a VFM option, but not sure how they stand up to the Michelin Primacys or the Yoko A-drives.

BTW, which Bridgestones are you recommending? the Potenza G3s? I wouldn't want to push beyond 40000 for the tyres.
Old 4th September 2015, 15:59   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My dealer is recommending Goodyear Assurance tyres as a VFM option, but not sure how they stand up to the Michelin Primacys or the Yoko A-drives.
I was also looking at Goodyear Assurance AG Plus tyres for my Jetta as they appeared to be VFM. But Michelin / Goodyear users discouraged me - I have finally bought PS3. My useage is 70% on the highway. Therefore it makes sense.

Michelin tyres are very good - But expensive. I sometimes feel they are over-priced. But, if you do not mind spending those 2k more, you can close your eyes and go with Michelin.

AG Plus may hold good until a maximum of 15k kms / 1 year - But after that, I have heard they become very noisy (booming sound). Goodyear gives 2+3 years warranty for the tyres which is good. If you are driving 95% percent of the time with-in city, any tyre should be fine I suppose. But if you want silent tyres, go for Michelin P3st.

Also, what will be your average mileage? If you do 20,000k kms in a year, you can decide your budget and then purchase. If the mileage is low and If you are keeping the tyres for 3-5 years; I think, you better go with Michelin - Tyre compound will not become hard and has good longevity. Spending little extra over a period of 4-5 years should be alright.

Quote:
BTW, which Bridgestones are you recommending? the Potenza G3s? I wouldn't want to push beyond 40000 for the tyres.
It makes perfect sense.

GR90. These are comfort oriented tyres with very good grip.

Link: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Br...ranza-GR90.htm
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 16:58   #176
BHPian

Quote:

I would like to repeat what Chetan sir has mentioned in his post above. Michelin tyres are one of the least noisy ones on road. And they give a better longevity. The only issue being, they are made out of a softer compound so if you off-road often, it might be an issue with a tyre-wall blast, etc. They are generally expensive than certain other variants from competitors but at the same time, are not the most expensive ones within the category. I replaced my Honda City's tyres recently, I choose Michelin P3STs, the dealer tried to convince me to move on to another brand atleast 5-6 times but I was not convinced.

After replacing the tyres on my car, I have been on a long distance drive( ~ 1500 kms) and with mixed driving on a friends Honda City which had tyres from another brand. And I feel reassured that I did make a wise decision.

So, when they say 'best', its the context in which case it would be best. I like it when my drives are noise-less and I assume with P3STs, its the best for me. What is it that you are looking for, Less tyre weight? Tyres capable of doing more speeds? More Grip? Less Noise/ overall comfort?, etc. If you think about that and arrive to a conclusion, you might be able to zero-in on an option that you would not regret.

Conversely, you can use the current set of stock tyres and choose a replacement when needed.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 00:46   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Michelin tyres are very good - But expensive. I sometimes feel they are over-priced. But, if you do not mind spending those 2k more, you can close your eyes and go with Michelin.

AG Plus may hold good until a maximum of 15k kms / 1 year - But after that, I have heard they become very noisy (booming sound). Goodyear gives 2+3 years warranty for the tyres which is good. If you are driving 95% percent of the time with-in city, any tyre should be fine I suppose. But if you want silent tyres, go for Michelin P3st.
My commute is 28 kms, each way, thrice a week, through a combination of good, bad and no roads! - you know Bangalore roads.

The Michelin P3STs seems to be a good choice for all rounder performance, while the Goodyears are worth staying away from.

Quote:
Also, what will be your average mileage? If you do 20,000k kms in a year, you can decide your budget and then purchase. If the mileage is low and If you are keeping the tyres for 3-5 years; I think, you better go with Michelin - Tyre compound will not become hard and has good longevity. Spending little extra over a period of 4-5 years should be alright.

GR90. These are comfort oriented tyres with very good grip.
Link: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Br...ranza-GR90.htm
I've done 87000 kms in the last 9+ years on my Esteem and don't expect the usage to be any different.

I changed the stock JKs on my Esteem at 50000 kms and have been very happy ever since the Turanza ER60s have been doing duty. I will definitely consider the GR90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
So, when they say 'best', its the context in which case it would be best. I like it when my drives are noise-less and I assume with P3STs, its the best for me. What is it that you are looking for, Less tyre weight? Tyres capable of doing more speeds? More Grip? Less Noise/ overall comfort?, etc. If you think about that and arrive to a conclusion, you might be able to zero-in on an option that you would not regret. Conversely, you can use the current set of stock tyres and choose a replacement when needed.
My highway cruising speeds are in the range of 80-100 kmph, and you know how it is to drive in the city. I'm basically looking at a overall comfort, less noise and reasonably rugged build.

The tyre dealer says I should swap the stock JK Elanzos at all costs, and I'm least surprised. In fact, he appears eager to pick them up

Thanks again for your responses and happy weekend
Old 7th September 2015, 17:26   #178
BHPian

Gents,

Are the P3STs available in the 195/55 R16 specification?

Our elite i20 has got OEM Bridgestone B250s which are decent enough, but they do get very noisy at 3 digit speeds.

Any recommendations on what tires we can get in the 195/55 R16 spec that are NOT noisy?

Pointers would be greatly appreciated, chaps. Thanks!
Old 7th September 2015, 19:06   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Gents,

Are the P3STs available in the 195/55 R16 specification?
The P3STs are not available in that size.

You will be able to find the Energy XM2 in that range. My BIL bought the Energy tyres for his Swift and is happy with them so far.

Other alternatives (from my shortlist): Potenza GIII, Continental CPC2/MX5
Old 7th September 2015, 21:02   #180
BHPian

Quote:
The P3STs are not available in that size.

You will be able to find the Energy XM2 in that range. My BIL bought the Energy tyres for his Swift and is happy with them so far.

Other alternatives (from my shortlist): Potenza GIII, Continental CPC2/MX5
Hmm, I don't know where you got the info from, but none of those tires are available in the spec that I'm looking for.

And, none of them have good reviews.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...not-worth.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-update-5.html

Anyone else got any other suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks