Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 10:27   #181
BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hmm, I don't know where you got the info from, but none of those tires are available in the spec that I'm looking for.

And, none of them have good reviews.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...not-worth.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-update-5.html

Anyone else got any other suggestions?
Oh yeah, my bad! I got the size wrong - seems like an uncommon size!

OTOH, I've realised there's no such thing as a perfect tyre - take any make and you'll find negative reviews.

My shortlist was based on skimming through user experiences through the last couple of weeks. Good luck on your hunt
Old 20th September 2015, 11:50   #182

Just noting down the comparison between XM2 and P3ST based on all my reading so far.

XM2
1. Better fuel economy due to lesser rolling resistance - People have reported from 0.5 kmpl to 1 kmpl benefit over their previous tyres like JK/MRF (no reports against P3ST as I can't imagine anyone would have done such changes)
2. But less rolling resistance may mean lesser grip on high speed?
3. Available for sizes below 195mm also.
4. Noise level is lesser than JK/MRF but it's not Michelin's selling point for this tyre.
5. Will last longer than P3ST by a few thousand kms.

P3ST
1. More comfortable tyre than XM2 for the same size ?
2. Even lesser noise - Michelin's selling point for this tyre.
3. But may not be saving fuel mileage like XM2 does from the virtue of XM2's lesser rolling resistance.
4. More grips on high speed and braking, - again linked to #3

I'm pretty confused between these 2 tyres, and also between 2 sizes (stock 175/65 or 195/60) for my honda city. Trying to find a perfect combination of the two, - e.g. buying XM2 with 195/60 size and nullify the loss of mileage from wider tyre by the gain of lesser rolling resistance of XM2, but I'm fearing it's a theoretical approach. It's a shame that you can't "try out" a tyre before committing it for 24K. Any help in clearing this dilemma would help.
sdatta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 17:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdatta View Post
Any help in clearing this dilemma would help.
Unless you are keen on the supposed mileage difference, I would go for the Primacy 3ST. However, I don't know if it's available in size 195/60 15 as I have the P3ST in 195/65 15 mounted on my Civic and am very happy with my choice.

All the best with your dilemma and do update us with your choice.

Cheers
Old 20th September 2015, 17:49   #184
BHPian

Quote:
I'm pretty confused between these 2 tyres, and also between 2 sizes (stock 175/65 or 195/60) for my honda city. Trying to find a perfect combination of the two, - e.g. buying XM2 with 195/60 size and nullify the loss of mileage from wider tyre by the gain of lesser rolling resistance of XM2, but I'm fearing it's a theoretical approach. It's a shame that you can't "try out" a tyre before committing it for 24K. Any help in clearing this dilemma would help.
Go with the P3ST! Check out the Honda city thread as well. Many out there have upgraded to 195/60 section. You can get a feedback regarding the upsize - pros/cons.
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:13   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Just noting down the comparison between XM2 and P3ST based on all my reading so far.

XM2
1. Better fuel economy due to lesser rolling resistance - People have reported from 0.5 kmpl to 1 kmpl benefit over their previous tyres like JK/MRF (no reports against P3ST as I can't imagine anyone would have done such changes)
2. But less rolling resistance may mean lesser grip on high speed?
3. Available for sizes below 195mm also.
4. Noise level is lesser than JK/MRF but it's not Michelin's selling point for this tyre.
5. Will last longer than P3ST by a few thousand kms.

P3ST
1. More comfortable tyre than XM2 for the same size ?
2. Even lesser noise - Michelin's selling point for this tyre.
3. But may not be saving fuel mileage like XM2 does from the virtue of XM2's lesser rolling resistance.
4. More grips on high speed and braking, - again linked to #3

Well sir, this is the exact comparison I had generated before zero-ing in on the new set of tyres for my Honda City. I finally got myself P3STs 195/60 R15 size. And I just replied you on the other thread, I am very happy with the upgrade. Mileage-wise, I do not see any difference so far.
Old 9th October 2015, 13:07   #186
BHPian

The Michelin Primacy 3 ST (245/45/R17) came as stock in my Volvo S80 D5 and they work like a gem. 3k kms in there is 0 noise and comfort level is superb. Highly recommended.
Old 10th October 2015, 20:39   #187
BHPian

Hi All

I've a Linea MJD (Jun-2012) with stock Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 tyres.

History of Stock Tyres

They've done 44.8 K Kms till now.
Jun-2012-Jun-2015 - I used this car for ALL my commute :
30% Highway Driving (~13K Kms) (Avg Spd 75kmph)
70% City Driving (~31K Kms in Bangalore) (Avg Spd- 15(?) kmph)

I am not passive driver on highways. I am passive/lazy driver in city- more due to the nature/weight of the car that Linea and its MJD engine is!

Had 3 instances where ABS kicked in - on highways when I spotted speed bump too late at high speed. Never had squealing.

Had 2-3 instances of aqua planing - and it was my fault to not keep speed in check. I would say I was lucky each time- as I felt I am atop a boat without any traction!
Lesson learnt was to reduce speed and stick to middle lane in highways in wet weather - as huge water puddles form along the median due to incorrect gradient between median and the road.

Otherwise I couldn't feel difference/poor performance in wet/dry conditions.

On certain tarred highways[e.g. from Sriperumbudur towards Chennai] - where there is heavy truck movement- there are grooves made [undulations on road] - and I found my car refusing to come out of those grooves - and would move out only when I reduce speed below 70kmph.

Current Physical Status:
All 4 tyres are bald with max tread depth of 2mm.

Spare Tyre
My spare is never used - full 16" alloy with NCT5

Current Usage:
My Linea is parked and I take it out every Sunday - just to give it a run of 5-10 kms. Ever since I got a car from company (Grand i10 AMT) in June'15 - Grand i10 has become my primary car for daily commute <and I am loving it!>. Interestingly even my Grand i10 has Goodyears!

Experience with Stock Goodyear Eagle NCT5 Tyres
I never 'hated'/'disliked' these tires - Rather always felt happy to see same NCT5 in Mercs, Superbs, Lauras and Jettas.

Had only one puncture at 43K kms. <touch-wood>

Tire noise - I always admired the huge 205 tyres and also I admired the noise from them. I always told myself that since other luxury cars also have it as stock tyres in them- means NCT5 has met stringent quality/safety metrics!

Moreover I didn't have the budget to upgrade stock tyres - so I lived with it until now. In the hindsight- I don't regret upgrading the tyres i.e. Dont feel I missed something.

What I did wrong/ Could have done better

Tyre Rotation
I never really followed tyre rotation as per more diligent members of this forum.
Swapped Front <> Rear at 18K and then at 32K

Corrective Steps:
I will do wheel rotation every 5K Kms (along with wheel alignment check) - from a credible service station.

Wheel Alignment
I left the wheel alignment ONLY to the annual service by FIAT ASS. I think they did shoddy job. (Fiat service is at 15K Kms or 12 months)

All my tyres have worn-out unevenly - and that is a function of incorrect wheel balancing/wheel alignment and less-frequenst wheel rotation.

Corrective Steps:
Lesson learnt- not leave Wheel Alignment to ASS and Free Service sessions.
I will do Wheel Alignment and Balancing every 5K kms - Paid service- at a credible place.

Tyre Pressure
I did tyre pressure check-up only when I did Fuel Top-Up - that too at times when I saw I huge queue - I would rather skip it out of impatience and leave it for next top-up.

Corrective Steps:
A month back, I've got a CODIO Manual Double Cylinder Foot Pump and Codio presure gauge and I do it myself for all my vehicles now - every weekend. :-)

My Current Budget
I've a budget of 35K. Can stretch by 2K.

Future Usage
1. Linea will be used only for highway ridings (which will be once a quarter)
2. Rest of the times- it will be pretty much do a 10-20 kms run in city per week.
3. Tyre size will remain stock - 205 55 R16

Buying Process <Ongoing>
My next long trip is 2-3 months away and I am in no hurry!
I am a lazy guy to goto JC Road - to enquire or for any after-sales-servicing.
I stay in HSR and would prefer anything close by.

I enquired 2 places in HSR and Tyre Plus(27th Main) is pushing Michelin 3ST at 8950 and the Bridgestone Showroom is pushing B290 at 8750.

I asked them about Goodyear Eagle NCT5 - and they were saying its not good!
Each showroom us pushing what they have in stock and dont talk good about what they don't have!

I am so confused !

Are Goodyears that bad and Michelins that good ? I may sound foolish - but, hey, I can only appreciate anything if I experience it!

Please help with suggestions - both on tyre models and renowned vendors!
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 22:58   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Buying Process <Ongoing>
My next long trip is 2-3 months away and I am in no hurry!
I am a lazy guy to goto JC Road - to enquire or for any after-sales-servicing.
I stay in HSR and would prefer anything close by.
If you've shortlisted a brand or two, visit their websites and find out the authorised dealers and try contacting them for a price quote. You'll be surprised at the variance in the prices. I've seen a variance of 7.8k to 9.5k for the Continental MC5 16" in Bangalore in the past one week.

Re: noise-
It's less fatiguing to be on a long drive when the tyres are silent in my opinion.
Old 21st October 2015, 19:24   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
If you've shortlisted a brand or two, visit their websites and find out the authorised dealers and try contacting them for a price quote. You'll be surprised at the variance in the prices. I've seen a variance of 7.8k to 9.5k for the Continental MC5 16" in Bangalore in the past one week.

Re: noise-
It's less fatiguing to be on a long drive when the tyres are silent in my opinion.
Thanks for that perspective on the fatigue.

Quote:

I enquired 2 places in HSR and Tyre Plus(27th Main) is pushing Michelin 3ST at 8950 and the Bridgestone Showroom is pushing B290 at 8750.
I learnt later that this rate was not including the taxes.

Quote:
I am so confused !

Please help with suggestions - both on tyre models and renowned vendors!
A quick update
On the weekend I visited Madhus (Langford) and I was given below rates:
Michelin P3ST: 10190
Continental : 8600
Pirelli: Rs 9500 (But offered Rs 7500 as its a promo from company itself)

I med Davis and I asked for Nikhil - but Davis told that he's out of station.
Then knowing that I know him from Team-BHP, he offered a deal sweetener.
Thanks team-BHP and Nikhil and your staff for this sharing happiness to brethern!

I enquired again from Tyre Empire(HSR) and they quoted
Michelin: Rs 10200
Pirelli P7 = Rs 9200 (No mention from them about any promo)
Falken = Rs 9200

I asked both places whether they have any one who is upgrading stock tyres in this size that I can buy - but there wasnt any thing with them

So, I am confused between Michelin Primacy 3ST and Pirelli P7.
Old 21st October 2015, 20:03   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Pirelli P7 offers much better traction in both dry and wet condition. Very silent too.. But the side walls are very soft and you have to really take care. Should be fine for city and highway drives. Rural areas may create issues.

P3st is made to suit our conditions. So less worries, if you travel a lot outside city.

All the best!
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:25   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am using Michelin Primacy 3ST in my Linea for the last 26K+ Kms and they are really good. I have used it on all kinds of roads and I am happy with it.

And they are way better then the stock good years.

Here is my latest update,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3826007
Old 26th October 2015, 10:46   #192
BHPian

Hey guys,

Been using Michelin P3ST on my 2014 Honda City and just finished 10k kms with them (195/60/R15 upsized)

The car is automatic (with upsized tires!) so mileage is nothing to write home about (9 city, 12 highway)

Overall very happy with the tire. Not happy with Honda's soft brakes, but the tires have performed admirably under hard braking, cornering and fast highway runs with little to no noise.

I can see 3-4 tears on the tires already, but I must admit I am a rough driver and don't slow down as much as I should on breakers etc.

I expect these to last for 35-40k kms.

On the other hand, have Bridgestone B390 upsized 205/55/R15 on my civic for more than 1.2 lac kms with quite a bit of wear but no tears and cuts!

Versus trying Turanza (upsized 195/60/R15) on my Honda City for 1 day, the P3ST is the hands down winner!

So the compromise is clear - better comfort, silent ride and slightly improved mileage, at half the life of a typical full carbon black based MRF/Bridgestone product.

As a (self proclaimed!) rubber technologist, I would also like to point out that tire hardness and it's abrasion resistance are not linked completely - a softer compound can outperform a harder compound in abrasion resistance as well as real world performance.
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 11:07   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I can see 3-4 tears on the tires already, but I must admit I am a rough driver and don't slow down as much as I should on breakers etc.
Hey, thanks for your feedback about the tires. Could you please share a few pictures of this damage on the tires, so the rest of us running the P3ST know what this damage looks like, and can keen an eye out for it? e.g. does it appear within the tread pattern, across treads, sidewall (gulp!).
Old 1st November 2015, 13:39   #194
BHPian

Not very happy with the P3ST. Off course the ride has been plush with it as compared to the JK before but I see the below disadvantages with the tyres.

1. Have to take a lot of care on the tyres because the its very soft and are prone for side wall tears and foreign element absorption very easily. Today most of the areas in Bangalore itself are like rural areas and with city drives itself punctures are easily possible.

2. After upgrade to P3ST on my Rapid, I feel that the car slips emergency braking at high speeds. I have to necessarily use the engine braking to reduce the speed of the car during emergency braking situations. This gets even worse on wet conditions.

3. Lot of small pebbles/stones always gets stuck in the tread lines of the tyres which I have to remove at frequent intervals.

Overall not very happy with the performance comparing the hype that was created for the P3ST and the associated pricing.

Infact I was very happy with the Brigdestone tyres in my previous car Manza which did its duty for 40K kms very efficiently.

Below is the pic of the latest puncture on the P3ST where a foreign element looking L shape and measuring 4 inch has pierced the tyre causing puncture which was removed and puncture glue was affixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-img_20151101_123947.jpg  

Last edited by rki2007 : 1st November 2015 at 13:41. Reason: Spell check
Old 1st November 2015, 15:32   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
3. Lot of small pebbles/stones always gets stuck in the tread lines of the tyres which I have to remove at frequent intervals.
I agree that many pebbles and stones get picked up in the tread (though not compared against other tires to see if this is more than or less than the norm, since apart from appearance it's never bothered me). I either clean them when truly bored, or when getting a WB done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
2. After upgrade to P3ST on my Rapid, I feel that the car slips emergency braking at high speeds. I have to necessarily use the engine braking to reduce the speed of the car during emergency braking situations.
If engine braking is improving your emergency braking performance, then I have news for you - its your brakes that are faulty, not your tires. Engine braking also transfers braking force through the tires onto the road, same as normal friction brakes. Its just the source of the braking force that has changed from the hydraulically-driven friction brakes to the engine acting as a gigantic air compressor. If you'd said that engine braking also didn't help, then I'd agree its the tires. Right now, you need to check your brakes - it could be something as simple as a brake pad/lining change, to a brake system bleeding or topup, or something deeper like EBD (emergency brakeforce distribution) or brake assist not working right.

Last edited by arunphilip : 1st November 2015 at 15:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks