Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2018, 13:43   #316
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 6,212
Thanked: 15,113 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Replaced the set of Primacy 3STs on my Polo with another set last week after 90,000 km and 2 years, 9 months of usage.

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-img_20180507_155544.jpg

After using these tires and for the kind of use/abuse they were subjected to, I didn't want to go for anything else.

The treads of the older lot after 90k km:

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-img_20180507_161101.jpg

After installation:

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-p3st_new.jpg

The previous set was purchased during August 2015 before our Ladakh drive (related post). The newer stocks had 4217 imprinted on them which translates to an October 2017 manufacturing - not great but not too bad either. Just a little over 6 months. Getting a fresh stock in this part of the country (Palakkad) is hard as these tires aren't very popular here.

Here's how I'd rate them:

Comfort - 4/5
Handling - 3/5
Noise - 3/5
Wet grip - 4/5
Sidewall - 5/5
Longevity - 5/5

Amazing tires and great VFM.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th May 2018 at 15:18.
Gannu_1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 23:58   #317
BHPian
 
venkyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: hump city
Posts: 786
Thanked: 2,216 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Here's how I'd rate them:

Comfort - 4/5
Handling - 3/5
Noise - 3/5
Wet grip - 4/5
Sidewall - 5/5
Longevity - 5/5

Amazing tires and great VFM.
My p3sts are 15k+ old, but I feel that they are not as silent as when new. Suddenly feel noisy like apollos - am i imagining or is it possible ? Also, the grooves are perfect nesting points for the small stones strewn on our roads - I used to remove them once a week, but roads near my place are pathetic nowadays with lots of construction activity - so have given up removing stuck stones over the past month or so. Could the stuck stones be the noise making agents ?
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 21:46   #318
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 198
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

How does the P3ST compare with the Earth 1 or the B250? In terms of comfort, longevity and grip
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 17:23   #319
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Down Under
Posts: 356
Thanked: 168 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
How does the P3ST compare with the Earth 1 or the B250? In terms of comfort, longevity and grip
Far superior. Between these 3, the P3ST any given day. You can find ample reviews for the P3ST on the same thread.
An alternative to the P3ST these days is the Continental MC5. There's a thread on it too. Please check that if you don't want to go the Michelin way.

Personally I am using the P3ST on my 2nd car but my next change would be the new MRFs - Perfinzas. Check "Nikhilb2008" thread for a review on them. Very positive feedback from him - being used on his vRS.

In case you need something more premium then please check Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Starts from 205 section with 16 inch wheels.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 23rd May 2018 at 17:25.
Aston Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 07:37   #320
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 837 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
My p3sts are 15k+ old, but I feel that they are not as silent as when new. Suddenly feel noisy like apollos - am i imagining or is it possible ? Also, the grooves are perfect nesting points for the small stones strewn on our roads - I used to remove them once a week, but roads near my place are pathetic nowadays with lots of construction activity - so have given up removing stuck stones over the past month or so. Could the stuck stones be the noise making agents ?
I too have the same feeling about my P3ST which have run 20K kms. The noise has increased and I can see hairline cracks on the outer edge of the tyre.
I think the problem is the age of the tyre. My tyres were installed in 2015, have only completed 3yrs, but the age of the tyre is almost 5 yrs as the manufacturing date was early 2014.

P3ST were not easily available in the earlier days so had to compromise on the manufacturing date.

What is the manufacturing date of your tyres ?

Last edited by F150 : 14th June 2018 at 08:03.
F150 is offline  
Old 14th June 2018, 11:40   #321
BHPian
 
venkyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: hump city
Posts: 786
Thanked: 2,216 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I too have the same feeling about my P3ST which have run 20K kms. The noise has increased and I can see hairline cracks on the outer edge of the tyre.
I think the problem is the age of the tyre. My tyres were installed in 2015, have only completed 3yrs, but the age of the tyre is almost 5 yrs as the manufacturing date was early 2014.

P3ST were not easily available in the earlier days so had to compromise on the manufacturing date.

What is the manufacturing date of your tyres ?
Mine were fresh stock (< 2 months) when I installed them. After getting rid of the stuck stones, the tyres are silent again, in my case.
venkyhere is offline  
Old 14th June 2018, 12:20   #322
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,074
Thanked: 4,941 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

I can confirm the presence of slight rolling noise. My tyres were installed in Sept '13 so now nearing 5 years old. This is with low mileage and mostly long distance highway use. I'm going to take the car to a tyre shop for tyre rotation and check if it improves. The tyres were last rotated in Dec '16.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 13:22   #323
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Down Under
Posts: 356
Thanked: 168 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I can confirm the presence of slight rolling noise. My tyres were installed in Sept '13 so now nearing 5 years old. This is with low mileage and mostly long distance highway use. I'm going to take the car to a tyre shop for tyre rotation and check if it improves. The tyres were last rotated in Dec '16.
The rubber becomes hard especially after 5 years which can definitely lead to increase in road noise. These tyres definitely have low noise levels but eventually that will change with wear and tear.
Aston Singh is offline  
Old 15th June 2018, 19:11   #324
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,074
Thanked: 4,941 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
The rubber becomes hard especially after 5 years which can definitely lead to increase in road noise. These tyres definitely have low noise levels but eventually that will change with wear and tear.
These are my second set of Michelins, the first, Primacy LC (made in Italy) developed minor cracks near the tread-sidewall intersections and I had the entire set replaced because I use this car mainly for highway runs. I simply will not risk a blowout or an accident due to tyre failure risking life and limb of my family in the process.

Anyway, I had the tyres cross rotated today and the noise has reduced very slightly. But I guess I need to put up with it as it is too soon to replace these tyres each of which costs Rs 6,200 at the same tyre dealer where I got the rotation and nitrogen top up done.

The mechanic pronounced the tyres as in good shape without any sidewall or other cracks howsoever minor. These are made in Thailand and designed for hot tropical climates. The Primacy LCs certainly had less rolling noise than the P3ST. It is the harder compound, hence crack, wear and deformation/bulge resistance in the P3ST that causes the rolling noise after the tyres have aged past 3-4 years.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th June 2018 at 19:12.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 23:44   #325
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK-07
Posts: 406
Thanked: 703 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
My p3sts are 15k+ old, but I feel that they are not as silent as when new. Suddenly feel noisy like apollos - am i imagining or is it possible ? Also, the grooves are perfect nesting points for the small stones strewn on our roads - I used to remove them once a week, but roads near my place are pathetic nowadays with lots of construction activity - so have given up removing stuck stones over the past month or so. Could the stuck stones be the noise making agents ?
I am in the same boat. The Primacy 3STs have completed a little over a year and run through 15 K kms. Today they had their first puncture, caused by a thorn ! The thorn, most likely from a Keekar/Babool, had pierced through one of the treads (where incidentally the rubber is thicker than at the grooves). I had the puncture repaired / patched from the inside at a MRF Store where it was discovered that the thorn was a thin one and did not prick a really large hole, hence there was no need of inserting a mushroom patch. I guess the soft compound of the Michelins, having its own plus points, is at a disadvantage when faced with vagaries of the open Indian road - nails, thorns & the like.

The other annoying thing about the Primacy 3STs is that the tread pattern coupled with the soft compound causes innumerable small stones and pebbles to be lodged between them. I have given up trying to dislodge these and resigned to the fact that the 3STs will forever remain the micro pebble magnets amongst tyres !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Far superior. Between these 3, the P3ST any given day. You can find ample reviews for the P3ST on the same thread--snip--Personally I am using the P3ST on my 2nd car but my next change would be the new MRFs - Perfinzas. Check "Nikhilb2008" thread for a review on them. Very positive feedback from him - being used on his vRS..
I happened to see the MRF Perfinzas at the store and they seemed like a decent set of tyres. The store owner was going gaga over them, extolling their virtues of toughness, longevity, quietness etc.

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline  
Old 10th July 2018, 15:21   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 180 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
How does the P3ST compare with the Earth 1 or the B250? In terms of comfort, longevity and grip
In my opinion, this is not a fair comparison. Earth 1 and 250s are very basic tyres. Maybe XM2s could be compared with them. P3ST needs to be compared with slightly higher segment tyres in its competition.
rocksterraghu is offline  
Old 10th July 2018, 19:31   #327
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 198
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Far superior. Between these 3, the P3ST any given day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
In my opinion, this is not a fair comparison. Earth 1 and 250s are very basic tyres. Maybe XM2s could be compared with them. P3ST needs to be compared with slightly higher segment tyres in its competition.
Been on P3STs for around 1500kms now, but most of it has been in city conditions and so far, I've noticed nothing different from the earlier B250s. Shall report back once I do some highway runs or some twisties.
Vysakh is offline  
Old 6th August 2018, 11:55   #328
BHPian
 
TheLizardKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 399
Thanked: 1,085 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Hi. I wish to buy P3STs for my GT TSI. Going by the reviews on Team-BHP, am upsizing to 195/60 R15. Can anyone recommend a good tyre dealer in and around Andheri East in Mumbai?

Thanks in advance.
TheLizardKing is offline  
Old 14th August 2018, 17:38   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,560
Thanked: 5,828 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Finally bought a set of P3STs in 205/55/16 to replace my knackered Eagle NCTs. Love the new bulge :-)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post4443874
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-whatsapp-image-20180813-9.15.10-pm.jpeg  

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-whatsapp-image-20180814-5.19.48-pm.jpeg  

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-whatsapp-image-20180814-5.19.49-pm-1.jpeg  

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-whatsapp-image-20180814-5.19.49-pm-2.jpeg  

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-whatsapp-image-20180814-5.19.49-pm.jpeg  

itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:12   #330
BHPian
 
shrayv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

I'm taking delivery of the Verna petrol and looking to upgrade the tyres. The stock tyre size is 195/55/R16. The P3ST is available in 205/55/R16 and was looking for feedback if this is the right size and any potential issues I may face.

The tyre calculator shows a error of 1.77%, but my concern is around ground clearance.
205/55 might increase the size marginally (i guess 5mm), but would distance betweeen the wheel arch and the tyre reduce?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
shrayv is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks