Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 09:42   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My 205/55/16 P3STs have now run ~13k and I am lately noticing increased road noise from them. There is of course plenty of tread left so surprised. Anything I can do to mitigate this?
Bound to happen as tyres age.

Have you rotated your tyres in this period? Run your fingers on the tread (forward and back along direction the tyre rotates). If you feel resistance in only one direction, it indicates 'feathering'. Rotate the tyres in an X pattern and observe. This will reverse this effect and will make the tyres quieter.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 12:33   #347
Senior - BHPian

The Michelin P3ST in my Linea has run 60K and they are at the fag end of their life.
I'm totally satisfied with the performance of the P3ST's and thinking about changing the tyres.

Looking for suggestions for the next brand (tyre size 205-55-R16).
Should I go for the 4ST or is Continental Conti Premium Contact a good option ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th October 2019, 12:54   #348
Senior - BHPian

Stick to tried and tested. My P3ST will be replaced by the same, and if not available - with P4ST. I'm really happy with these as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The Michelin P3ST in my Linea has run 60K and they are at the fag end of their life. I'm totally satisfied with the performance of the P3ST's and thinking about changing the tyres.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:01   #349
BHPian

Vouching here for these tyres!

I'm on the second set of these tyres, 72k km done on the first set; 82k km and counting on the current set.
Absar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 23:34   #350
BHPian

Hello Tyre Gurus.

I am about to change the tires for my Vitara Brezza Zdi+. Presently they are 55k run stock Apollo Alnac 4GS 215/60 R16. Now I am confused which brand to go with as all the websites say there products are the best. Requesting help.
Old 12th January 2021, 05:13   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatyRoy View Post
Hello Tyre Gurus.

I am about to change the tires for my Vitara Brezza Zdi+. Presently they are 55k run stock Apollo Alnac 4GS 215/60 R16. Now I am confused which brand to go with as all the websites say there products are the best. Requesting help.
Hello there,

It indeed can be a confusing scenario when one is presented with a plethora of choices.

I’m enclosing a snapshot of consumer feedback of few tires (or their closest variants - e.g., Falken & Yokohama) compiled by a respected tire review website that are available in India.

Unfortunately, most of the Indian tire companies do not provide much information about their tires other than very basic information.

I have spent quite a number of years in India and based upon my personal experience I can say that tires manufactured by a majority of Indian manufacturers have really come up over the years as the customer awareness/ complexity of vehicles on the road has increased over the years.

India tire manufacturers have an overarching emphasis on mileage (not their fault as traditionally that’s what the focus of the India tire customer was) therefore their tires would give you slightly higher mileage but firm ride as they use hard rubber compound.

Tires manufactured by most of the multinational (European/Japanese/North American) companies have multiple criteria to fulfill such as ride/handling in dry/wet conditions, mileage/tire noise, etc. so theirs is a better/well-rounded product that ticks all the right boxes. The ride quality would be better but the mileage may be less than what’s potentially offered by Indian tires.

In addition to Apollo Alnac 4GS, you can also consider Yokohama RV-02, Bridgestone ECOPIA EP-150, Bridgestone Turanza T-001, Michelin Primacy 4ST, and Falken ZIEX ZE 914 ECORUN.

All these tires are available in India through their official distributors and are available in the required size (215/60R16)

Current users need to chime in with their feedback as well.

Name:  Apollo.PNG
Views: 892
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  Bridgestone.PNG
Views: 856
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  Falken.PNG
Views: 843
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  Primacy 4.PNG
Views: 1007
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  Yokohama.PNG
Views: 843
Size:  41.0 KB

Source: https://www.tyrereviews.com/
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:32   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Hello there,

I’m enclosing a snapshot of consumer feedback of few tires (or their closest variants - e.g., Falken & Yokohama) compiled by a respected tire review website that are available in India.

Thanks a lot Mr. Arya for the detailed information. This is really great. Because of super helpful people like you, this is a place where people come asking for help. Unfeigned Regards.

More suggestions and advise are most welcome.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th January 2021 at 20:09. Reason: Broken quotes. Thanks.
SatyRoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 21:28   #353
BHPian

My Michelin P3 ST has run 90k km over a five year period, all on good condition city and expressway roads, in and around Delhi. This is a set of four tyres all bought at the same time. The tread has not reduced to the tread marker level. Road noise has increased but is bearable. Should I change the tyres or keep for some more time?
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-20210929_110920.jpg  

Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 22:59   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
My Michelin P3 ST has run 90k km over a five year period, all on good condition city and expressway roads. Should I change the tyres or keep for some more time?
Please change your tyres now Guite, preferably before anymore high speed expressway runs. They have run their life and given you excellent service.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:09   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should I change the tyres or keep for some more time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Please change your tyres now Guite, preferably before anymore high speed expressway runs.
Agree. Please change at the earliest given your sustained high speed expressway runs. Those tread cracks are a sign that the rubber in the crown area is end-of-life.

For a purely city-driven car I would not have advised an immediate change though.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 16:45   #356
BHPian

Thanks alot for the responses. In five years we have had just three highway trips. So practically all usage is within city, with just short bursts of high speed, but mostly crawling traffic jam to 50 kmph city run.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 20:26   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks alot for the responses. In five years we have had just three highway trips. So practically all usage is within city, with just short bursts of high speed, but mostly crawling traffic jam to 50 kmph city run.
I'd still recommend changing. Trust me, your car will feel new again .

Check out the Continental UC6 and the Michelin Primacy 4ST. Both are highly rated and the former is even Made in India.

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th September 2021 at 20:27.
Old 30th September 2021, 21:14   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Michelin P3 ST has run 90k km over a five year period, all on good condition city and expressway roads, in and around Delhi. This is a set of four tyres all bought at the same time. The tread has not reduced to the tread marker level. Road noise has increased but is bearable. Should I change the tyres or keep for some more time?
I happened to change my 1.05L run Primacy 3STs for my Ertiga with Continental UC6 2 weeks back. The only reason to replace these were due to the humming noise that I had started to experience that I could confirm only when I swapped tires of another Ertiga into mine.

This is how the tires (and the tread) looked like when I replaced them:

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-20210919_102613.jpg

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-20210919_102636.jpg

And I got a fairly fresh stock of the UC6s with stamp of 36 month of 2021 for all 4 tires:

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-20210919_104040.jpg

The cracks that I see in your image reminds me of similar situation for my WagonR's XM2s in 2016 which I then replaced with Yokos even though there was good tread left on the Michelins.

Even UC6 were tough to get in Bangalore and I checked plenty of shops including Madhus too but somehow after a lot of scouting, bought 2 sets for 2 Ertigas (another belonging to a friend) from Tire Empire, Whitefield.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th September 2021 at 21:26.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 21:21   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have Michelin P3 STs on my SX4. These tyres are about 17k km and 4 years old (this is my beater car and thus I only drove 17k km in 4 years; in contrast, my other car has run 40k km in 3 years). And these P3 ST have almost the same cracks as your tyres (as seen in the pictures). The cracks on my tyres do not look as big as the ones on your tyres, but definitely they are there and they are similar and in exactly the same position! And in just 17k km!

Interestingly, in my case, they are not all all four tyres. They are more prominent on both the tyres on the right side of the car. It felt funny. So I did some Googling and I found some interesting links:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-m...in-tire-treads

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...te-replacement

https://www.protyre.co.uk/car-help-a...g-new-tyres-(1)

As all these link suggest, this damage is due to UV rays (and nothing to do with the running of the car or the mileage. Hence it happened even in low mileage case of mine). This damage happens on the outside of the tyres as they are exposed to UV rays from the sunlight, and not on the inner side.

This also explain why only the right had side tyres in my cars have these UV cracks. My car is parked every day in such a spot that the left side is always in the shade, while the right side is exposed to sunlight. And thus the right side has developed these UV cracks.

Also, from what I read, it does not look this this is immediately dangerous. These are surface cracks and not immediately dangerous to the structural integrity of the tyres. However, it is still better to replace the tyres just to be safe. In your case, since anyways you have ran 90k km on the tyres, it is a good time to get new tyres anyways. And in my case, since the tyres are 4 years old now (although very low mileage), it is a good idea for me too to change the tyres.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 30th September 2021 at 21:27.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 21:29   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
And these P3 ST have almost the same cracks as your tyres (as seen in the pictures). The cracks on my tyres do not look as big as the ones on your tyres, but definitely they are there and they are similar and in exactly the same position! And in just 17k km!
Seems like this is a Michelin only problem. I remember a thread by Saket on XM1s and I too had this issue with XM2 of my WagonR. In Ertiga since the 1L came in really soon, the cracks weren't there when I replaced them.

Here is that thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...e-failure.html (Michelin XM1+ Tyres: Age-related damage or failure?)

But with the outgoing Primacy 3STs, I noticed that there was a resonating noise that I had never faced earlier in any of my cars. It took a while to realise that the noise was from the tires and not the bearings. Interestingly, after every wash, the noise would subside indicating that the wet tires are perhaps the reason and more importantly, its the tires that are the culprit .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed