Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2021, 21:44   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Seems like this is a Michelin only problem. I remember a thread by Saket on XM1s and I too had this issue with XM2 of my WagonR.
Quite possible! If it is indeed the UV damage (as the links I shared and also my empirical evidence of only one side tyres having this damage indicates), then that is something the tyre compound/process can be blamed for, at least to some extent. The rubber compounds used in the modern tyres are supposed to be treated to prevent any damage from UV rays. But in spite of that if such damage happens, then maybe it is the flaw in that specific tyre compound/process. But again, since this has happened over 4 or 5 years, maybe it can be justified as long enough time for UV damage to happen anyways. Maybe some experts can confirm.

Quote:
But with the outgoing Primacy 3STs, I noticed that there was a resonating noise that I had never faced earlier in any of my cars. It took a while to realise that the noise was from the tires and not the bearings
Very interesting that you mentioned this. I also have this in my SX4, and again the P3 ST tyres! So can it just be a coincidence or again it is the fault in the tyres?

Unfortunately in my case, since that car is rarely used and just parked for long time (sometimes weeks), I blame everything on that. But maybe it is not just that and there are other reasons for some of these issues.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 22:06   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Very interesting that you mentioned this. I also have this in my SX4, and again the P3 ST tyres! So can it just be a coincidence or again it is the fault in the tyres?

Unfortunately in my case, since that car is rarely used and just parked for long time (sometimes weeks), I blame everything on that. But maybe it is not just that and there are other reasons for some of these issues.
This could be a case of flat-spotting. Then it can create such noises. It takes some running for the flat spots to wear out. At times, the damage could be permanent too.

It's a good idea to jack up the tyre pressure than normal if you aren't taking your car out often.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 30th September 2021 at 22:17.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:52   #363

My Primacy 3 ST after 75,000 km and 7 years.

Two more photos of the beauty:
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-5e431937f6fd42d4afecb052e248ddd1.jpeg  

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-img_0088.jpeg  

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-img_0091.jpeg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st October 2021 at 15:22. Reason: back to back posts merged
phoenix1386 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 20:28   #364
BHPian

50k kms on Primacy 3ST tyres

I completed 50,000 kms on Michelin P3ST tyres during my recent trip to Hyderabad/Srisailam. It took me almost 5 years(2 months short) for the same.
I paid around 36k in October 2017 for them including balancing. The price was steep but it has redeemed itself.

My experience is extremely positive till now and hope it stays same. It has suffered only 1 puncture till now when it was around 10-12k kms old. The same spot started leaking air twice in last couple of years which needed fixing.

I have taken it to worst of the roads and it has never gave up on me. Air/Nitrogen retention capacity is exceptionally good. Tyres have also seen some extended duration of low usage particularly in 2019.

Only negative in my opinion is that they looks slimmer than they really are. The OEM Goodyear looked quite wide which also provided a good stance to car.
Some small cracks has started coming at the edge of the tyres showing it’s age though. However, to me it still looks good at least for a further 10k kms or an year.
I will most probably replace the tire sometime next year at 6 year mark.
Old 19th August 2022, 21:26   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1386 View Post

Holy crap, dude! You’ve clearly overshot the time period of replacing the tires. Be glad it didn’t result in any catastrophe. Please change these ASAP.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 21:46   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Man you really pushed your luck didn't ya! Don't risk life and limb man.

I replaced my tyres last March and they had minor cracks between the treads after the lockdown etc. I couldn't wait to replace them. Went in for Contis as it is so difficult to get Michelins P4s in 15" rims.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:49   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Terrible! I'd hate to be anywhere near your vehicle when the inevitable blowout occurs.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 18:31   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Even on half the mileage and with twice the tread, the rubber will be rock hard at that age. Replacing the tires will make your car feel like new. I could not believe the drive home from the tire shop!

Continentals for me too. The Michelins were really hard to get hold of back then.
Old 24th November 2022, 18:56   #369
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

This is absolutely insane. You’re unnecessarily pushing your luck.
Please change the tyres immediately post haste.
These are absolutely not safe.
You mustnt be penny wise and pound foolish.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 16:33   #370

@gannu_1 @R2D2 @itwasntme @shankar.balan

I understand your concerns, I am not one to push my luck when it comes to such matters. I was supposed to replace my tires towards the end of 2019 when the condition was not this bad as shown in the photos, but could not. Then COVID brought things to a standstill. Car was simply not getting used and I figured I will get them replaced when I start driving again.

One fine day I was checking the tires and was shocked to see that the rubber was in this condition as in the photos. I took photos for posterity and got the tires replaced the very next time I drove out. I posted about buying the Continental UC6, 205/60/16 for my vehicle in the Continental thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post5172434 (Continental tyres)

Last edited by phoenix1386 : 29th December 2022 at 16:46. Reason: Did not see the members I quoted, so added manually.
phoenix1386 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 14:30   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaskarnag View Post
My last car was the SX4, with Potenza GIIIs (they felt the best, especially on wet roads and heavy rains). I have experiences of using Pirellis, Bridgestone RE88 in my earlier cars. The stopping was very accurate at any speed...

With the Eagle NCT 5, on my new Jetta, the stopping used accurate below 80 kmph, however above that, there was a considerable nervousness in the car stopping, every time I crossed the speed and then sudden braking, could feel the ABS kicking in, however it seemed the car glided through, and felt out of control.... that is very strange..I in fact had to stand on the brakes to make it work.. Though never did the car lose the straight line. I checked with the Volkswagen folks... they went for drives with me, checked and said this is normal.

I normally drive very lazy in the city, however I push hard on the highway...

Anyways i had thought of changing the good years, and went thus for the michellin; the issue seems to be non existent now.. and the braking is far far better (not experienced much wet roads as yet)
Wanted to share more updates on my Primacy 3ST experience. I lost three of my tyres in the bad roads of Whitefield in 2016 for side wall cuts.

In those times we had some of the worst roads around the area, which improved later. So Primacy 3ST lasted for around 2 years.

Post that had moved to Pirelli Cinturato P7 and those tyres had amazing grip and handling. The Jetta turned to a sports car overnight.

However within 1 year I started having braking issues as the tyres hardened,

Went back to the Primacy 3 ST in 2017

And till 2022 and around 50000 km overall were on the primacy 3 ST.

Post 5 years started having some cracks in the side walls on two of the tyres (the ones that used to get the evening sun rays in parking, thanks to Covid times)

Now have moved to Yokohama Blueearth AE51 GT as primacy of this size were not available anywhere at Bangalore.

The Yokos are good, but braking were not as good as the primacy. Now got used to it and it is fine, The car is old and have gone into more sedate driving over time so the Yokos are good. They are silent too and have good ride quality..

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th July 2023 at 14:59. Reason: Spacing for improved readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks