Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 10:51   #226
BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
I'm planning for a tyre upgrade for my polo with stock size of 185/60 R15. My preferences are Michelin XM2 and primacy 3ST. I had used xm2 for close to 90k kms in my previous cars and I'm really satisfied by it. But recently I heard of good reviews about prima 3st. So I would like try it out. But Their size starts at 196/60. Is it a good size upgrade. I don't want to create any harm to the vehicle with the upgrade.
Hi Sarath,

I am confused on the second tyre size is it 190/60 R 15 or 195/60 R 15. In either of the cases I mentioned, it looks like an upgrade from 185/60 R15 is recommended. Most of us here use this site for comparing the difference:
http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

Thanks,
Kalyan
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:01   #227
BHPian

Hello,

Is there anybody on this forum who has used both XM2 and P3ST? Any first hand inputs on the experience?
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:16   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hello,

Is there anybody on this forum who has used both XM2 and P3ST? Any first hand inputs on the experience?
I using XM2 on my Zen and P3ST on my Fusion.

P3ST is lot quieter, smooth and soft. However they then to reach peak point early during cornering or gravel grip. Earlier Yokohana A drives hardly used to loose traction. This tyre is also small pebble magnet. I always doubt, if there are pebbles stuck in water gutter and im driving in rain, is my rain grip compromised?

XM2 is very all-round performance. Its relatively louder but never lets you down. No complaints just happy tyre. Perfect VFM. Much better than earlier MRF

I think XM2 vs P3ST is not same category compare. U need to compare P3ST with different brand similar character tyre.

Above are just my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
How does the 3 ST perform when you take the corners aggressively? Do they roll a lot like XM2? That's my only worry about slapping a set of Michelin on the Fiesta. I really all other attributes of the tyre.

Linea will be a good candidate to judge that. Besides, the Ford is currently on Eagle NCT 5.
If you are looking for comfort tyre, P3ST is the ONE! cornering, NO. I dont mean its bad, its not its best trait. And we know that, its obvious, you can't get ALL in ONE. There is always a compromise.

Please always do check price ONLINE. I bought P3ST at price of XM2, Thanks to SNAPDEAL!
When i got the tyre, i called up the vendor who had supplied VAT billed, asked him to enter Michelin warranty at this store and he did it. So that is covered too.
FYI, I bought 6 months back for Rs 22496/- for 4pcs 195/65R15 and today Rs. 23,345

Last edited by devrajman : 23rd September 2016 at 19:30.
devrajman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 11:47   #229
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed input Devrajman.

Since you mention about online purchase, how did you ensure that you were not given old tyres? I have heard about members talking about receiving old tyres in an online purchase.
Old 27th September 2016, 13:21   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed input Devrajman.

Since you mention about online purchase, how did you ensure that you were not given old tyres? I have heard about members talking about receiving old tyres in an online purchase.
I didnt know when i ordered that such instances are happening!

If you order from reputed site and reputed seller, chances are such things may not happen, rest is left to GOD

The difference was very large per tyre and it was worth taking the risk. What you can do is, take a continuous video when they comes for delivery, Make them stay till you open and check each tyre.

Last edited by devrajman : 27th September 2016 at 13:23.
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 03:43   #231
BHPian

Hi guys,

Slightly off topic, but I'm desperate.

I was travelling for a bit last month and after returning home I took my car out to office without realising one of the tyres was flat. Now it's sidewall has about 4 to 6 pinhole sized punctures and I need a replacement. I have the Primacy 3STs in the size of 225/55 R16. They've done about 10 to 12k so far and in my personal opinion replacing just one instead of a pair should be fine considering the amount of wear.

However the major hiccup is sourcing a P3ST these days. I've called around 20 dealers as well as the company. From what I could gather, GOI has put its import on hold due to a BIS compliance issue. I was told that it could take as long as another 5 months for it to get restocked in the market.

Does anyone here has a spare or knows anyone who might have it in stock or can get one imported for me?

It will really really be of great help.

If all fails then I'm going to have to replace them both and this time it's not going to be a Michelin for sure.

Thanks
EP
Old 1st December 2016, 11:53   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
However the major hiccup is sourcing a P3ST these days. I've called around 20 dealers as well as the company.
Have you checked online? Changemytyre's dealers supposedly have it quite readily and at a reasonable price too:

http://www.changemytyre.com/tyres/ca...pincode=110001

http://www.changemytyre.com/view-nea...pincode=110001
Old 1st December 2016, 12:34   #233
Senior - BHPian

I never knew Michelin had 20 dealers in NCR, any how the BIS bit is now couple of years old and not a valid reason for non availability of stocks.

Best is to talk to an exclusive Michelin dealer like Tyre Plus in Faridabad (largest Michelin counter in NCR, details on Michelin web site) and get the correct picture.

Quote:
.......However the major hiccup is sourcing a P3ST these days. I've called around 20 dealers as well as the company. From what I could gather, GOI has put its import on hold due to a BIS compliance issue. I was told that it could take as long as another 5 months for it to get restocked in the market.

Does anyone here has a spare or knows anyone who might have it in stock or can get one imported for me?
Old 1st December 2016, 18:53   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Slightly off topic, but I'm desperate.

I was travelling for a bit last month and after returning home I took my car out to office without realising one of the tyres was flat. Now it's sidewall has about 4 to 6 pinhole sized punctures and I need a replacement. I have the Primacy 3STs in the size of 225/55 R16. They've done about 10 to 12k so far and in my personal opinion replacing just one instead of a pair should be fine considering the amount of wear.

However the major hiccup is sourcing a P3ST these days. I've called around 20 dealers as well as the company. From what I could gather, GOI has put its import on hold due to a BIS compliance issue. I was told that it could take as long as another 5 months for it to get restocked in the market.

It will really really be of great help.

If all fails then I'm going to have to replace them both and this time it's not going to be a Michelin for sure.

Thanks
EP
Hello EP.

Which car ?

225/55 R16 Primacy hasn't been imported by Michelin for some time now.
High chances of being out of stock.

Try your luck at Audi, BMW service centres.

Last edited by kpzen : 1st December 2016 at 18:55.
Old 4th December 2016, 21:04   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hello EP.

Which car ?

225/55 R16 Primacy hasn't been imported by Michelin for some time now.
High chances of being out of stock.

Try your luck at Audi, BMW service centres.
Thanks for your reply. I'll check with their service centers tomorrow. If unsuccessful then I'll just get the front 2 changed to Pirelli P7s. Had them before when they came with my Passat. Very good tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I never knew Michelin had 20 dealers in NCR, any how the BIS bit is now couple of years old and not a valid reason for non availability of stocks.

Best is to talk to an exclusive Michelin dealer like Tyre Plus in Faridabad (largest Michelin counter in NCR, details on Michelin web site) and get the correct picture.
Thanks for the reply Khoj. I'll contact him tomorrow.

Also, I called dealers in Delhi NCR and then also in Amritsar, Ludhiana, Chandigarh and Jalandhar while I was travelling for business.

I posted in the forum after speaking with the top Michelin sales executives in north India. The BIS bit might be old but most of the dealers who I contacted said that this particular model hasn't been seen since the last 5 to 6 months. They probably had good inventory which lasted long after its ban on import.

Anyways, I more effort and if I'm unsuccessful then goodbye Michelin and hello again Pirelli!

Best
EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Have you checked online? Changemytyre's dealers supposedly have it quite readily and at a reasonable price too:

http://www.changemytyre.com/tyres/ca...pincode=110001

http://www.changemytyre.com/view-nea...pincode=110001

Thanks itwasntme!

I'll check with them tomorrow. BTW I tried ordering the ST3s through industrybuying.com and Amazon.in. Both times the order didn't go through. Industrybuying had it stuck on 'Payment Processed' for more than a week and refunded my money only after multiple emails and calls. Its a website to be avoided.

Amazon on the other hand was even more surprising. My order was under process for 15 days before they decided to refund!

Thanks once again. I'll call and check tomorrow before ordering.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2016 at 23:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 4th December 2016, 22:20   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pirelli P7s. Had them before when they came with my Passat. Very good tyres.
Weren't they 215/55 R16 ?

Last edited by kpzen : 4th December 2016 at 22:26.
Old 4th December 2016, 22:27   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Weren't they 215/55 R16 ?
I upgraded them to the 225/55 R16s.
Old 5th December 2016, 15:03   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Just switched over to P3ST (205/55R16) on the Laura (remapped to 180bhp); and even though they are a down grade from the earlier Michelin Primacy HP in terms of size (225/50R16 v/s 205/55R16); I am very impressed with the level of grip they have to offer - wheelspins from 380nm through the front wheels are minimized significantly and the car puts the power down so much better!

The reason was a bad puncture on the 225s courtesy road work on marine drive, where a pile of debris sprung up all of a sudden on the right most lane, during dusk.

While I wanted to retain the 225s, lack of availability + high price + future increase in travel over poor roads kept me away from investing in a pair of 225s; and instead decided to get a higher profile + stock size; in the rare event I am stuck with one unusable tyre again.

Planning on getting them put on the c220D to replace the stock bridgestone turanza's which, IMO are the most hopeless set of tyres I've used!
Old 6th December 2016, 21:37   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Just switched over to P3ST (205/55R16) on the Laura (remapped to 180bhp); and even though they are a down grade from the earlier Michelin Primacy HP in terms of size (225/50R16 v/s 205/55R16); I am very impressed with the level of grip they have to offer - wheelspins from 380nm through the front wheels are minimized significantly and the car puts the power down so much better!

The reason was a bad puncture on the 225s courtesy road work on marine drive, where a pile of debris sprung up all of a sudden on the right most lane, during dusk.

While I wanted to retain the 225s, lack of availability + high price + future increase in travel over poor roads kept me away from investing in a pair of 225s; and instead decided to get a higher profile + stock size; in the rare event I am stuck with one unusable tyre again.

Planning on getting them put on the c220D to replace the stock bridgestone turanza's which, IMO are the most hopeless set of tyres I've used!
0.25mm is not a big deal to be honest. You might find that much difference just based on the pressure you're running!

The probable cause of you feeling the P3STs are this impressive is because they are new.

The P3STs are awesome tyres but it's not comparable to the Primacy HPs at all. The Primacy HPs are far superior in almost every way.

Anyway, glad you're happy. Enjoy the drive!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 23:01   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
0.25mm is not a big deal to be honest. You might find that much difference just based on the pressure you're running!

The probable cause of you feeling the P3STs are this impressive is because they are new.

The P3STs are awesome tyres but it's not comparable to the Primacy HPs at all. The Primacy HPs are far superior in almost every way.

Anyway, glad you're happy. Enjoy the drive!
True - i've barely driven 400-500kms on these new tyres and not had a chance to really push these tyres. Will keep this thread posted.

Reason for the downsize was not only the higher sidewall, but also the lack of available options in 225/50R16, which would be a big problem should another such puncture happen.

Most Viewed