Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2018, 22:49   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
I got an offer to change my Brezza Zdi+ tires from Apollo Alnac 4GS 215/60 R16 to Michelin Primacy 3ST 215/60 R16 or 225/60 R16 for 18k after buy back. Is it a good upgrade? I am looking for ride quality improvement more than cornering ability. Will there be any improvement in ride quality? if yes which one to choose among Michelin 215/60 or 225/60? Please reply.
No. Not worth it. The Alnac is a good tyre. The P3ST is better in my opinion but not worth the thousands of rupees you will waste changing the Apollos.

Use the Apollos for 25-30k kms and then change if you feel the need to
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 01:17   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
No. Not worth it. The Alnac is a good tyre. The P3ST is better in my opinion but not worth the thousands of rupees you will waste changing the Apollos.

Agree with Nikhil fully
I have a brezza zdi plus which came with 215/60/R16 apollo alnac, it lasted me for 68k kms
Excellent tyres with a bit of noise
Didn't give up on a lot of tough roads including Srinagar-Ladhak, Kedarnath, Badrinath roads, etc
Heck, I've driven these tyres across all states in India except the North East
I've had around 5-6 punctures though

Changed to Michelin 3 ST have covered 20k kms till now
Michelin is a class apart though
GSMINC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 12:18   #303
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks for replying

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Agree with Nikhil fully
I have a brezza zdi plus which came with 215/60/R16 apollo alnac, it lasted me for 68k kms
Excellent tyres with a bit of noise
Didn't give up on a lot of tough roads including Srinagar-Ladhak, Kedarnath, Badrinath roads, etc
Heck, I've driven these tyres across all states in India except the North East
I've had around 5-6 punctures though

Changed to Michelin 3 ST have covered 20k kms till now
Michelin is a class apart though
Please compare both, as I also owns brezza zdi
How was the ride quality?
Old 12th March 2018, 14:46   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for replying

Please compare both, as I also owns brezza zdi
How was the ride quality?
I had run through 5 sets of Michelin XM2 covering 4.8 lakh kilometres on my Diesel Swift
So was always a Michelin fanboy

I was initially skeptical about Apollo OE on my new Brezza, I tried to change the tyres while taking delivery.
Very few choices, Michelin, Yoko DB series, Pirelli, Thats all
& exchange prices for Apollo 215/60/R16 was pathetic given that its a low volume size without much movement in tyre shops
So, decided to keep the OE apollos.
In hindsight, it seems to be good decison

The OE Apollo Alnac 4GS tyres are hard compound, so tyre noise is a given
Suprisingly, the dry & wet grip is very good, the ride is also not bad if you experiment with the air pressure & arrive at what suits you

Michelin 3 ST is a much superior tyre, silent, excellent dry & wet handling
Ride quality is top class.
Since it is a Thailand imported soft compound tyre, I was slightly vary about running it fast on rough roads, But it came out smoothly even if I do good speeds on broken roads,
Once my friend hit a pothole at good speeds & the car bounced pretty hard,
me sitting in the front passenger seat thought: Oh My God, there goes one tyres, BUT surprisingly no sidewall bulge or cut, Immediately did 2 contradictory things, a thank you prayer to GOD & Michelin & some sound unprintable expletives to my friend who was at the wheel

Summary: Alnac is a very good tyre for its price
Apollo Alnac 215/60/R16 is priced at ₹7500 per tyre approx in Bangalore
Michelin primacy 3ST 215/60/R16 is ₹9800 per tyre

For its price, Apollo is immense value for money
If budget is not a constraint, Michelin is the way to go

Hope this helps
GSMINC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 22:08   #305
BHPian

Quote:
I got an offer to change my Brezza Zdi+ tires from Apollo Alnac 4GS 215/60 R16 to Michelin Primacy 3ST 215/60 R16 or 225/60 R16 for 18k after buy back. Is it a good upgrade? I am looking for ride quality improvement more than cornering ability. Will there be any improvement in ride quality? if yes which one to choose among Michelin 215/60 or 225/60? Please reply.
Stock dimensions seems good enough. Ground clearance is not an issue so there's no need to upsize because of that. Going with stock sizes also leaves you bulletproof when it comes to claiming warranty. If it's 18k for 5 tyres, then it seems quite okay.

However, the veterans here would advise you to retain the stock tyres because they're not terrible, and save for premium tyres once the stock ones wear out.

On that note, do you have Zero Dep insurance, Extended Warranty, some form of roadside assistance, and PPF? Those might be more important right now.
CaptainPrice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 22:59   #306
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
Stock dimensions seems good enough. Ground clearance is not an issue so there's no need to upsize because of that. Going with stock sizes also leaves you bulletproof when it comes to claiming warranty. If it's 18k for 5 tyres, then it seems quite okay.

However, the veterans here would advise you to retain the stock tyres because they're not terrible, and save for premium tyres once the stock ones wear out.

On that note, do you have Zero Dep insurance, Extended Warranty, some form of roadside assistance, and PPF? Those might be more important right now.
The problem is brezza have poor ride quality compared to my earlier ride Spark,it was a downgrade :( thats why i am looking for a tyre change in a hope to have some relief even if it cost 18k for 4 tyres. But Still not decided.
I Should have checked out Duster, which was never a contender while buying.
Old 16th March 2018, 09:31   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Very competitive price on Amazon: Rs. 7610 with free delivery for P3 ST 205/55/16.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 20:03   #308
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

How better is the alnac 4g v/s earlier model Alnac ? Reason for my query is, the first thing I did after delivery of my car was to swap the 1 yr old factory fitted alnacs with p3st. (205/55/16). I assumed the ordinary alnac is not as good as 4g. Now I want to know whether it was stupid of me to do that
Old 17th March 2018, 07:53   #309
Senior - BHPian

A second puncture on the Bridgestone Turanza and a strong pitch by the Michelin Dealer at Whitefield (while he put the mushroom fix) ensured I exchanged 4 tyres for Primacy 3ST! Cost me 27K in all (My friend tells me I would have got a better deal if I'd shopped around) My old tyres had run 8000Kms as of March 2, 2018, and I really loved them a lot for the comfort and performance. Unfortunately, too prone to damage - I felt.

I was shown two sizes in Michelin (one, with 10mm more width), but chose the stock size of 215/60/R16 keeping warranty in mind. Overall I'm very impressed with their grip levels and certainly look tough enough to last the course. I'll keep this thread posted.

Paddock Club:

Michelin has started Paddock Club for Premium Customers and in my excitement signed up without much thought - paying 5,499, which in a few days I realised was a huge mistake.

As the third party who is handling the scheme just didn't know how to talk to the customer, and were very ill-informed about the program over the phone, actually ending up enraging me.

I could see a 'brand fit' in resort stays promised by them (encouraging customers to go on long drives), but cake making and spa vouchers etc do not have any brand fit with Michelin and are not thought through, I felt. My banks offer similar promotions as well. There are also three vouchers worth 300 each for various Michelin services, but that didn't interest me. In this day of instant gratification the promised Welcome Kit did not reach me even after 15 days - moreover, a spelling error in the website (totally unacceptable), log-in issues etc put serious doubt in my head about the credibility! So I bid goodbye to the scheme.

I pressed hard for a refund (got it as well) and politely asked them to induct me in future when the Paddock Club program was truly well in place. Lost my confidence totally.

This sour incident has dented the image I had of Michelin, (now I don't think much of Michelin in India, at all). They must realise premium customers can also be very demanding, (at least when it comes to scheme hygiene)!
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-img_6437.jpg  

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-img_6426.jpg  

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-img_8036.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 17th March 2018 at 08:05. Reason: Added pricing
Old 26th March 2018, 18:43   #310
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

2 out of my 4 Michelin Primacy 3 ST tyres have started developing cracks on the outer edge.

Right front and left rear.

The tyres were manufactured in the 29th week of 2014. The tyres were fitted in April 2015 and have run 18.5K kms.

Can you please advise on what could be the issue ?
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-20180326_183829.jpg  

Last edited by F150 : 26th March 2018 at 18:52.
Old 26th March 2018, 19:06   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
2 out of my 4 Michelin Primacy 3 ST tyres have started developing cracks on the outer edge. Right front and left rear.

The tyres were manufactured in the 29th week of 2014. The tyres were fitted in April 2015 and have run 18.5K kms. Can you please advise on what could be the issue ?
I had similar problems with the Primacy LC when it was out of warranty i.e >3 years old.

The minor cracks were not on the tread as in your case but near the sidewall which is why I replaced the entire set on the advise on my friendly tyrewalla who I have known for decades. He had no commercial interest and doesn't deal in Michelin.

I don't take risks with tyres as my car sees mostly highway runs. It also has low mileage which could be one of the reasons though the air pressure is checked regularly and never goes below 28 PSI (recommended 30) dropping about 1-2 PSI per month. I fill about 33 PSI each time and with this a nitrogen top up is required every 2-3 months.

So do keep a check on your tyre pressure and top up when it goes <10% of recommended pressure. Regular running also helps avoiding flat spots. I believe front tyres are more susceptible due to the weight of the engine. So make sure you also cross rotate the tyres regularly.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 15:01   #312

Hi Guys,

After spending the better part of a month researching on which tyres are best suited for my Verna Fluidic 1.6 SX(O) I decided to upsize to 205/55R16. This made the Primacy 3ST the front runner in my shortlist of possibilities. On going through this thread all my doubts about their performance vs durability have been cleared. However, on inquiring prices I found that Pirelli P7 Cint (Manufactured 35th week or later of 2017) is costing me 7400/- per tyre whereas the P3ST are 8500/-
Now my confusion is are the P3STs worth the premium over the P7?? As I am planning on changing all 4 the price difference is considerable. Could any of our tyre experts give some valuable advice on how the P3ST hold up against the P7 and should I be too bothered about the late 2017 manufacturing date of a tyre?

Much thanks in advance and looking forward to some sound advice
Old 21st April 2018, 15:07   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuz16 View Post

Much thanks in advance and looking forward to some sound advice
Between the 3 sets of tires (Bridgestone B250, Yokohama ADrive R1 & Pirelli Cinturato) I've had on the Verna, I'd recommend the Yokohamas if that particular series is still available.
Old 21st April 2018, 17:31   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Between the 3 sets of tires (Bridgestone B250, Yokohama ADrive R1 & Pirelli Cinturato) I've had on the Verna, I'd recommend the Yokohamas if that particular series is still available.
Yes, it is still available but somehow its ranked low on the premium scale by yokohama itself. They actually rate the earth and bluearth higher than the A drive R1. Is there any particular reason you pick the yoko's above P7? I thought P7 was more of a comfort and dry grip oriented tyre and also an entry level premium tyre.
Old 21st April 2018, 17:58   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuz16 View Post
Is there any particular reason you pick the yoko's above P7?
I'm not sure if I would pick the ADriveR1 over the P7 since I have zero experience with the P7. However, I would pick the ADriveR1 again at the next replacement interval (145-150K due at end of this year) for their balance between grip, ride quality and longevity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks