Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 09:49   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
This pattern is a new tyre by Michelin. As of now it will be available in one or two big sizes.

Major sizes in 15" and 16" will be launched by the year end.

It does look like a great tyre on paper. The comfort and silence of PLC with a bit more of grip!

The tyre market is really hotting up! Yokohama has some new tyres up it's sleeve, Bridgstone has launched some new tyres and Michelin is following suit! Apollo also has it's Alnac and higher ranges available.

My suggestion to people is to wait for a couple of months till the dust settles and reviews start pouring in.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Continental also has a few aces up it's sleeve! I'm not sure about the timeline but a major company like Continental will not be left behind in this race for marketshare!
Nikhil,

Been some time now. Any updates on these new launches?
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:46   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Yoko has released the Earth 1, Bridgestone released the Ar 20 and MY02 and B290.

Continental is yet to launch anything new. They have ben talking about it for a while now!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 21:06   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I changed my Vento tyres to 195/60R15 Primacy 3ST on the very first day. After nearly 2000 KMs in a month, I can clearly say that Primacy 3ST is not as good as PLC. My car had two sets of PLC before, and together has clocked more than 85,000 KMs. The ride quality on P3ST is harder and grip is lower than PLC.
My experience with Primacy 3ST isn't good either. I upgraded from Hankook Ventus V 12 Evo 205/55/R16 to P3ST 225/45/R17. I just don't feel confident to push my car anymore, these tires squeal even under moderate breaking and it is quite easy to spin wheels at launch. I used Hankooks for about 30k kms and never faced tire squeal and wheel spins. Also Michelins are quite hard.

Last edited by novice : 1st February 2014 at 21:09.
Old 4th February 2014, 21:48   #94
BHPian

Looking forward for first hand feedback/review on Primacy 3ST..specially the 195/60. I'm sure few BHPians would have clocked decent amount of kilometers. How has the overall comfort and grip been ? Would be great if anyone was able to compare them with XM2 in terms of durability.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:34   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Comparing with the XM2 is not a fair comparison. Comparison should be with the PLC.

Some people have said that the PLC grips better but some people are very happy with the grip of the P3ST. It's a mixed bag of reports for the time being.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 12:11   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Looking forward for first hand feedback/review on Primacy 3ST..specially the 195/60. I'm sure few BHPians would have clocked decent amount of kilometers. How has the overall comfort and grip been ? Would be great if anyone was able to compare them with XM2 in terms of durability.
Iam using the Michelin Primacy 3ST (205/60/R16) and completed 6000kms till date and totally love the tyres. It has amazing grip and feels lot of rubber is in contact with the ground and not to mention its completely noiseless.

These tyres are as good as my previous set of tyres ( CPC2). Iam extremely happy with the Primacy 3ST and would highly recommend you to go for it

And, I do some unmentionable speeds on a "daily basis" and feel super confident with these tyres.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th February 2014 at 12:13.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 14:31   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have used the Primacy 3ST for about 4500kms till now and did a recent trip on them for 2400kms and I was not overtly impressed with 3ST.

I could be wrong in my judgement but, I didnt find the 3ST superior to CPC2.

At best, both these tyres can be equal.

Quote:
Iam using the Michelin Primacy 3ST (205/60/R16) and completed 6000kms till date and totally love the tyres. It has amazing grip and feels lot of rubber is in contact with the ground and not to mention its completely noiseless.

These tyres are as good as my previous set of tyres ( CPC2). Iam extremely happy with the Primacy 3ST and would highly recommend you to go for it

And, I do some unmentionable speeds on a "daily basis" and feel super confident with these tyres.
I see a change in your opinion on the P3ST, Mobike008.
I, therefore request for a confirmation on whether you would recommend the P3ST over the CPC2.
The P3ST comes at a premium over the CPC2.
Old 5th February 2014, 14:41   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I see a change in your opinion on the P3ST, Mobike008. I, therefore request for a confirmation on whether you would recommend the P3ST over the CPC2.The P3ST comes at a premium over the CPC2.
I still stick to what I said before. Both tyres are exactly similar in following departments :-

1. Grip in dry conditions
2. Tyre Noise

Few minor differences here :-

1. Longetivity (CPC2 lasted me 47,000kms. I expect 3ST to last me similar or maybe a few thousand less)
2. Wet Condition (CPC2 way better)

Overall, Iam very happy with 3ST primary for the reason that there is no other tyre (except Yoko Db2) that can fit above parameters and I didnt want to repeat CPC2 again and I would prefer a Michelin over a Yokohoma anyday.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 16:03   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall, Iam very happy with 3ST primary for the reason that there is no other tyre (except Yoko Db2) that can fit above parameters and I didnt want to repeat CPC2 again and I would prefer a Michelin over a Yokohoma anyday.
Thanks Mobike for your instant reply.

I understand that you had limited options for choosing the P3ST, but for someone who wants to replace the stock GoodYear tyres and has both the options, CPC2 would be better than the P3ST because of the wet performance.
Old 5th February 2014, 16:10   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand that you had limited options for choosing the P3ST, but for someone who wants to replace the stock GoodYear tyres and has both the options, CPC2 would be better than the P3ST because of the wet performance.
Absolutely. It sticks to road like a glue in wet conditions and i have driven them a lot in those conditions.

However, do note I experienced 4 punctures till 45,000kms and 3 in quick succession within last 2000kms which basically tells the tyres are soft. However, I personally never had any issue with its sidewall or damage to tyre in any unsual way and i have taken the Cruze to some crazy places

Having said that, Michelin 3ST is being touted as made for India/APAC and supposed to be handle our road conditions better.

So its your choice. I like both tyres

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th February 2014 at 16:11.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 11:34   #101

Quote:
Thanks Mobike for your instant reply.

My friend bought a set of 4, Michelin P3ST and is absolutely happy with the grip levels and overall performance (after using them for about 3000kms). I got a chance to try them hands on, and the tyre seemed perfect balance between performance and comfort.

And as they say ST stands for "Silence Tuned", it indeed was completely noise free and stood up to its name.

I am currently running on Yokohama C drives and my next set of tyres would definitely be Michelin P3ST.

Cheers !!
imranshks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 12:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranshks View Post
My friend bought a set of 4, Michelin P3ST and is absolutely happy with the grip levels and overall performance (after using them for about 3000kms). I got a chance to try them hands on, and the tyre seemed perfect balance between performance and comfort.

And as they say ST stands for "Silence Tuned", it indeed was completely noise free and stood up to its name.

I am currently running on Yokohama C drives and my next set of tyres would definitely be Michelin P3ST.

Cheers !!
I got your point and thanks for your opinion, but I think that Silence should not be the primary parameter for judging a tyre.

I was concerned about Mobike's opinion reproduced below :

Quote:
Grip (Wet)
Believe you me, it's still raining pretty hard in Hyderabad and even yesterday there were thundershowers the whole night. I drove for more than 70kms in rains and the grip is pretty decent but, CPC2's was a different animal in wet conditions. CPC2 used to feel like your driving on dry conditions even in rains, they were that good. But, again it's too early to comment, so i will wait some more before forming a firm opinion

CPC2 : 4/5
Primacy 3 ST : 3/5
I hope you got my point.
Old 11th February 2014, 20:18   #103
BHPian

Hi all , need to change my mercs tire as it s really tired and has suffered second puncture in last 3 months . It has done exactly 34000 kms in past 4 years . Currently running on Michelin s pilot preceeda s the specs are 225/45 R17 91V wish I could upgrade to a higher profile 225/ 50 R17 but it will foul with the wheel wells as had tried putting one 225/50 R17 into the boot as a spare it didn't fit . Has anybody changed to the above specs please put your experience here . Last what tire should i go in the above mentioned specs my tire wala says the above low profile tires are prone to have weak sidewalls and suggest s Continental .
Old 11th February 2014, 20:25   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Wet Condition (CPC2 way better)

I didnt want to repeat CPC2 again
Quote:
Absolutely. It sticks to road like a glue in wet conditions and i have driven them a lot in those conditions.
If CPC2 are so good, why did you not want to repeat them???

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Currently running on Michelin s pilot preceeda s the specs are 225/45 R17 91V wish I could upgrade to a higher profile 225/ 50 R17 but it will foul with the wheel wells as had tried putting one 225/50 R17 into the boot as a spare it didn't fit
If you want to increase the profile, you will have to go for narrower sizes, but I guess anything narrower than 225 isn't available for 17'' wheels?
Old 3rd April 2014, 16:31   #105
BHPian

I was about to pick up st3 for my Jetta but my dealer lured me into buying pirelli which were 2k cheaper a piece. I am loving them.

Most Viewed