Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 16:21   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaskarnag View Post
Just got Primacy 3 ST for my Jetta. Lets see how this goes...

Choice was between P7 and Primacy 3 ST. P7 was not too sure; though read about some good corrections done for the Primacy 3 ST.
Replaced the stock GoodYear NCT 5 tyres early, had some concerns on the sudden braking beyond 80 kmph.
Never heard the NCT 5 having any such problem. The only major problem with the brand is the excessive noise it makes.

Would you please explain the problem faced in more details.
Old 7th May 2014, 16:52   #122
BHPian

I am sure it must be the longer distances and the abs kicking in early due to the nct5 being hard. I switched over to p7 s and the traction control almost never comes on even on a full throttle 1st gear.
Old 8th May 2014, 14:51   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Never heard the NCT 5 having any such problem. The only major problem with the brand is the excessive noise it makes.

Would you please explain the problem faced in more details.

My last car was the SX4, with Potenza GIIIs (they felt the best, especially on wet roads and heavy rains). I have experiences of using Pirellis, Bridgestone RE88 in my earlier cars. The stopping was very accurate at any speed...

With the Eagle NCT 5, on my new Jetta, the stopping used accurate below 80 kmph, however above that, there was a considerable nervousness in the car stopping, every time I crossed the speed and then sudden braking, could feel the ABS kicking in, however it seemed the car glided through, and felt out of control.... that is very strange..I in fact had to stand on the brakes to make it work.. Though never did the car lose the straight line. I checked with the Volkswagen folks... they went for drives with me, checked and said this is normal.

I normally drive very lazy in the city, however I push hard on the highway...

Anyways i had thought of changing the good years, and went thus for the michellin; the issue seems to be non existent now.. and the braking is far far better (not experienced much wet roads as yet)
vaskarnag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 18:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got Primacy 3 ST for my Jetta. Lets see how this goes...

Replaced the stock GoodYear NCT 5 tyres early, had some concerns on the sudden braking beyond 80 kmph.
Quote:
My last car was the SX4, with Potenza GIIIs (they felt the best, especially on wet roads and heavy rains). I have experiences of using Pirellis, Bridgestone RE88 in my earlier cars. The stopping was very accurate at any speed...

With the Eagle NCT 5, on my new Jetta, the stopping used accurate below 80 kmph, however above that, there was a considerable nervousness in the car stopping, every time I crossed the speed and then sudden braking, could feel the ABS kicking in, however it seemed the car glided through, and felt out of control.... that is very strange..I in fact had to stand on the brakes to make it work.. Though never did the car lose the straight line. I checked with the Volkswagen folks... they went for drives with me, checked and said this is normal.

Anyways i had thought of changing the good years, and went thus for the michellin; the issue seems to be non existent now.. and the braking is far far better (not experienced much wet roads as yet)
Thanks for the details. It really helped.

What was the ODO reading when you changed the tyres?

How much have you driven since replacement?

Was there major tyre wear OR the concern was only about the Tyre compound?
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:31   #125
BHPian

Hi Guys, any news on the new pricing for Michelin P3ST for 195/60/R15. I am getting prices around 6150 for May Stock
999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 21:42   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Hi Guys, any news on the new pricing for Michelin P3ST for 195/60/R15. I am getting prices around 6150 for May Stock
I paid 24000 for a set of 4 tyres at Milivision Enterprises in Bangalore. Not sure about the price in your city.
imranshks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 08:22   #127
BHPian

Got the Primacy 3STs for the Punto yesterday (195/60/15 - stock size for Emotion pack). Had Primacy LCs earlier which lasted me exactly 40k kms. Can't complain at all and this now is the fifth set of Michelin's I've got for my cars since 2006. Paid 5700 per tyre in Gurgaon including WA/WB/new valves etc.

Seriously considered Yoko AVS dB and the price difference was about 600 bucks per tyre but at the end stayed true to my belief that "one should get the best Tyres and brakes one can afford".
nkapoor777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:44   #128
NGM
BHPian

Can someone please explain the main difference between xm2 and primacy 3st.
Difference in cost is just Rs 200 for 195/65/15.
Which one to go for?
Old 6th September 2014, 09:09   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the P3ST. Better grip, comfort and silence.

If at all there is a disadvantage, it is the slightly softer sidewall. But it's not as big a problem as the Primacy LC.
Old 13th September 2014, 19:41   #130
BHPian

Hi Nikhil,

I'm in the process of buying a Jetta Highline from VW Mysore. As recommended, I wanted to change the stock tyres to Primacy 3ST. Do you have a shop in Mysore where I can trade in the old ones?

Thanks,
Abhilash
Old 19th September 2014, 06:12   #131
BHPian

Abhilash,
If you are interested in a change of wheels, 225/50 tyres on 8x17 wheels will get you fantastic driving dynamics without any compromise on ride/comfort.
Additionally, much better tyres are available for 17" wheels than 16".
I would recommend the Yokohama ADVAN Sport if you do go in for this.
Old 19th September 2014, 10:09   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
Abhilash,
If you are interested in a change of wheels, 225/50 tyres on 8x17 wheels will get you fantastic driving dynamics without any compromise on ride/comfort.
Additionally, much better tyres are available for 17" wheels than 16".
I would recommend the Yokohama ADVAN Sport if you do go in for this.
Firstly 225/50 is a size to big for the Jetta. The perfect upsize is 225/45 R17. Also 8j rims are too wide for 225 tyres, even 7j rims are enough. I agree with you on the Advan Sports though.
Old 19th September 2014, 10:42   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Firstly 225/50 is a size to big for the Jetta. The perfect upsize is 225/45 R17. Also 8j rims are too wide for 225 tyres, even 7j rims are enough. I agree with you on the Advan Sports though.

akshay1234,
I agree that it is big, but not that it is too big. I have been using it on my Laura and Superb for over 5 years without as much as a scrape. Ditto for a friends Jetta. Besides, all the VW group cars come standard with the Rough Road Package in India which affords the possibility of over sizing much beyond the standard Euro spec car.

As for width, 8" is very much a correct fit and offers a much better solution (for performance as well as ride) than a tight fit on a 7" wheel. Furthermore, given the bad roads we have, wider wheels provide much better protection for tyres as the sidewall stands slightly more perpendicular from the ground and does not as easily permit the rim lip hitting the insides of the tyre in case of a formidable impact.

If you are interested, you should refer to the websites of top tuners and wheel manufacturers alike ABT & OZ who recommend 8.5x18 and 8x17 respectively.

As a testament on performance, even cars like the mighty GT-R comes with 9.5" front wheels with 255/40 tyres and even 10" on the new NISMO. If you take a shot at the basic math here, that's a 255mm section tyre on a 254mm wide wheel!
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 11:18   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
akshay1234,
I agree that it is big, but not that it is too big. I have been using it on my Laura and Superb for over 5 years without as much as a scrape. Ditto for a friends Jetta. Besides, all the VW group cars come standard with the Rough Road Package in India which affords the possibility of over sizing much beyond the standard Euro spec car.

As for width, 8" is very much a correct fit and offers a much better solution (for performance as well as ride) than a tight fit on a 7" wheel. Furthermore, given the bad roads we have, wider wheels provide much better protection for tyres as the sidewall stands slightly more perpendicular from the ground and does not as easily permit the rim lip hitting the insides of the tyre in case of a formidable impact.

If you are interested, you should refer to the websites of top tuners and wheel manufacturers alike ABT & OZ who recommend 8.5x18 and 8x17 respectively.

As a testament on performance, even cars like the mighty GT-R comes with 9.5" front wheels with 255/40 tyres and even 10" on the new NISMO. If you take a shot at the basic math here, that's a 255mm section tyre on a 254mm wide wheel!
Upsizing the profile by 5mm will definitely not cause a scrape. I was mentioning the fact, which is that 225/45 is the most correct upsize. Yes there are other upsizes possible which will work just fine everyday.

The rough road package is nothing but extra underbody protection, and extra ground clearance which all these Indian spec cars get. I'm not sure how that lets you upsize much more?

You do understand that whether the rim is 7" or 8" the tyre contact patch on the road would be the same right? So how will the performance of an 8" rim specifically to a 7" rim in the case of 225 section tires be better?

Do they recommend 8.5" rims on 225 section tires? See my friend, there are certain rim widths which are suitable for different tyre sizes. For eg. for 225/50 R16 anything from 6j to 8j will work at the max, but that doesn't mean you have to take the thinnest or the widest. Either of those or anything in between should work just fine without any perceptible performance difference.

The Jetta is not a GTR.
Old 19th September 2014, 13:06   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Upsizing the profile by 5mm will definitely not cause a scrape. I was mentioning the fact, which is that 225/45 is the most correct upsize. Yes there are other upsizes possible which will work just fine everyday.
The upsize is 5% of 225 = +11.25mm radius or +22.5mm diameter.
I too agree there are other upsizes. I also have a set of 215/60R16 for my Laura with which I was able to drive around Ladakh with no damage to the underside of my car.

Quote:
The rough road package is nothing but extra underbody protection, and extra ground clearance which all these Indian spec cars get. I'm not sure how that lets you upsize much more?
The extra ground clearance provides more space in the vertical plane. Think of it this way, a lower car would have a much greater chance of hitting the fender liner ABOVE the tyre with the suspension bottomed out.

Quote:
You do understand that whether the rim is 7" or 8" the tyre contact patch on the road would be the same right? So how will the performance of an 8" rim specifically to a 7" rim in the case of 225 section tires be better?
Not exactly the same. Rubber is accommodative but not set like metal. A 0.5" change in rim width typically yields a 0.2" change in section width of the tyre.
Furthermore, there is more corner block contact when using wider wheels (since the rim does not pinch the sidewall as much and results in lesser angular deflection) which is most certainly better for performance in cornering and also for directional stability under heavy braking.
This is just the simplified reason for better performance even without the need getting into any high-tech discussions of a more even weight/pressure distribution across the width of the patch and increased volume of air.

Quote:
Do they recommend 8.5" rims on 225 section tires? See my friend, there are certain rim widths which are suitable for different tyre sizes. For eg. for 225/50 R16 anything from 6j to 8j will work at the max, but that doesn't mean you have to take the thinnest or the widest. Either of those or anything in between should work just fine without any perceptible performance difference.
Yes, very much so, the 8.5" width is recommended for 225 section tyres. But you don't have to trust my memory, here are a couple links:

ABT USA - VW Jetta - Wheels
ABT Germany - Octavia Mk3 - Wheels

Quote:
The Jetta is not a GTR.
"Physics is Physics".

And before you even admit a thought that I'm trying to bait, start a fight or be rude, I give you my word of honour that this is not the case.
I'm just another tyre geek! (I'll admit, physics and math excites me as well).

Last edited by bharatsomany : 19th September 2014 at 13:16.
bharatsomany is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks