Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2015, 17:48   #151
BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Can you let us know which car you were driving ? The type of surface and speed and how many kms you completed so far ? Were you on a long drive ?
Punto.
Well laid out roads.
Speed - braking at around 60kmph.
Km run so far - ~13,000.
Previous set - Yoko C-drives.
On the occasions I encountered loss of traction, the tyres where adequately warmed up(i.e ran more than 30km).

Quote:
Previous post says braking impeccable.
That was before the summer began.

Quote:
I am considering Primacy 3ST for purchase next week.
You mentioned cornering, squealing; look elsewhere. As I said, from my experience so far, P3STs are strictly comfort oriented and losing traction(and squealing) even on slight hard braking isn't something acceptable.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 19th April 2015 at 17:50.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 11:42   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Can someone please explain the main difference between xm2 and primacy 3st.
Difference in cost is just Rs 200 for 195/65/15.
Which one to go for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Go for the P3ST. Better grip, comfort and silence.

If at all there is a disadvantage, it is the slightly softer sidewall. But it's not as big a problem as the Primacy LC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Punto.
Well laid out roads.
Speed - braking at around 60kmph.
Km run so far - ~13,000.
Previous set - Yoko C-drives.
On the occasions I encountered loss of traction, the tyres where adequately warmed up(i.e ran more than 30km).

That was before the summer began.

You mentioned cornering, squealing; look elsewhere. As I said, from my experience so far, P3STs are strictly comfort oriented and losing traction(and squealing) even on slight hard braking isn't something acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Shop - Anand Trading Company, Dapodi, Pune
Size - 195/65R15
Experience after 2300 kms that includes two highway runs along with city driving.
1. Pune-Goa-Pune, 1100 kms, next day itself after putting on the P3STs.
2. Pune-Mumbai-Dahanu-Daman-Mumbai-Pune, 750 kms in total.

Dry Grip
Very good, infact even better on concrete roads. Car feels planted at all speeds, more confidence around corners. Though during my drive back from Goa, at certain tarmac stretches, I felt the grip to be lacking, the car swaying slightly (could be strong winds, I don't know).
Wet Grip
Didn't get a chance except for a thunderstorm Friday evening here in Pune. Still too early to comment but I could definitely feel the difference, no aquaplaning at all !
Noise levels
Absolutely silent. These tyres shine on concrete surfaces. The noise levels were incredibly low on Mumbai-Pune expressway, made the drive far more enjoyable.
Comfort
Superb. Softer compound and the switch from Bridgestone to Michelin, hence more noticeable. Ride on broken roads has improved a lot. But I am very cautious about potholes and sharp edges primarily because of the softer sidewalls. ( and after reading so much about it )
Braking
Spot on! The tyres hold their line, there was an instance where I had to brake from 80 to 0 because a monkey jumped right in the middle of the road. Phew! They saved the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
So after completing over 5k kms on P3STs with the Punto, I have been so impressed that I went ahead and got another set of 4 for the Tjet as well - stock size of 205/55/16. So that's the sixth set of Michelins for me. This one did pinch a little more though - 9500 per tyre. Ouch!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
This is so true! I am experiencing the same in my SX4. These tyres are absolutely silent. Plus in my case, I can make out most of the noise coming from right up front since all my doors are damped. Both, damping and the tyres have made my Pune-Mumbai expressway trips a delight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Lately, since the beginning of this summer, I have been observing the tyres losing traction while braking(even a little hard) in hot weather conditions. If I brake hard, it squeals too, along with losing traction. This has put me off and I've made a lot of course correction on how the tyres have to be used till the end of their life.

I think I had wrong expectations from the tyres that are promoted as comfort oriented. Still, losing traction even on slightly hard braking is not acceptable in my opinion.

While the positives I mentioned in my earlier post still holds good, I think if anyone is looking for even a bit of sportiness, it is better to go for respective sub-brands such as Michelin Pilot Sport, Yoko S Drives, etc.
Hi Guys. I am considering switching tyres this month, before the onset of the monsoon. 3ST and XM2 were in my shortlist, and my criteria are:

1. Last 40K Kms
2. Budget: Up to 30K for a set of 4
3. Important: Comfort

Going by above posts I was convinced that the 3ST would be my choice, but could all of you post back on the last feedback given by CliffHanger on Braking?

I will be using the tyres on a Ertiga Zdi with ABS.

185/65/R15 or 195/60/R15 are the options on size, what would you recommend for comfort?

Data I have been referring:

http://www.michelin.in/tyre/viewall/525 - XM2
http://www.michelin.in/tyre/viewall/526 - 3ST
Old 20th May 2015, 12:01   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Hi Guys. I am considering switching tyres this month, before the onset of the monsoon. 3ST and XM2 were in my shortlist, and my criteria are:

1. Last 40K Kms

Going by above posts I was convinced that the 3ST would be my choice, but could all of you post back on the last feedback given by CliffHanger on Braking?

185/65/R15 or 195/60/R15 are the options on size, what would you recommend for comfort?

Data I have been referring:

http://www.michelin.in/tyre/viewall/525 - XM2
http://www.michelin.in/tyre/viewall/526 - 3ST
I've covered almost 8k on my P3STs and I have never doubted their braking capability. They hold their line at sudden braking and stopping distance is excellent. I've not driven them much under wet conditions since I bought them last winter, but with unexpected heavy showers on and off, I am absolutely satisfied with their performance in wet conditions. This coming from a SX4 without ABS.

There's a video by Michelin itself for P3STs on youtube. You can have a look at that.

One difference I would point out between XM2 & P3STs is speed rating. Former is H rated, if I'm not wrong and the latter is V rated.

If price difference isn't much you can go with P3STs.
Aston Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:27   #154
BHPian

Quote:

1. Last 40K Kms

XM2s will probably last a bit longer than the P3STs. So if you are keen to make them last 40k kms or so, I suggest you go for XM2. Comfort would definitely be better with the P3STs though.

On price, you will get a set of 4 in 195/60/15 between 20-21k for XM2 and 22-23k for P3ST. This is the best upsize for an Ertiga.

On braking, I'm using P3STs for both Punto MJD and Tjet and satisfied with their abilities. They surely aren't the grippiest but then they aren't designed to be that. Comfort and silence are the best in class however.
Old 20th May 2015, 19:55   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
XM2s will probably last a bit longer than the P3STs. So if you are keen to make them last 40k kms or so, I suggest you go for XM2. Comfort would definitely be better with the P3STs though.

On price, you will get a set of 4 in 195/60/15 between 20-21k for XM2 and 22-23k for P3ST. This is the best upsize for an Ertiga.

On braking, I'm using P3STs for both Punto MJD and Tjet and satisfied with their abilities. They surely aren't the grippiest but then they aren't designed to be that. Comfort and silence are the best in class however.
Thanks, I have been quoted 22 for the MX2 and 23 for the 3ST.
Are you sure the 3ST wont last 40K kms? I would have thought unless we are racing, that is a normal expectation from a tyre set now. Further, since you say grip is not the best, is there any issue in terms of lack of grip/ slip/ braking distance? Usually the 3ST is cited by dealers for shorter braking distance.
Old 20th May 2015, 21:34   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I have been quoted 22 for the MX2 and 23 for the 3ST.
Are you sure the 3ST wont last 40K kms? I would have thought unless we are racing, that is a normal expectation from a tyre set now. Further, since you say grip is not the best, is there any issue in terms of lack of grip/ slip/ braking distance? Usually the 3ST is cited by dealers for shorter braking distance.
No clue on current prices. But they seem ok to me. I'm not saying P3ST won't last 40k kms. Just that XM2 probably have a better shot at that since they are slightly harder compound.

On the grip part, I simply meant these aren't sporty tyres as they are primarily comfort oriented. Braking, grip et al is sufficiently good till the time you don't go crazy with them. I used PLC which was the predecessor to P3ST for exactly 40k kms in my punto and it never gave me a scare. Have had P3ST for about 12k kms on punto and 4k kms on the Tjet and very happy with them.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 20th May 2015 at 21:36.
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 15:39   #157
BHPian

Hi,

I am buying a Linea T jet and was looking to upgrade the tyres to P3ST.

Checked a couple of shops near my place and Lajpat Nagar. The rate quoted per tyre varied from 8200 to 9900. Buyback was for Rs6000-Rs6500 per tyre.

I am a little confused. The price variation in the buy is too much. Is there a catch?

I have never bought tyres before. How does one come to know whether the tyre is new or not. Is there some sort of a warranty in tyres? If yes, what is covered.

Usually, I saw tyres stacked together in the shops that I had gone - some were dirty with mud n all - hence my apprehensions. Don't tyres which are priced so high come in some sort of covers etc.
Old 26th May 2015, 18:31   #158
Senior - BHPian

Not all expensive tyres come with covers, infact many cheap ones do.

If your heart is set on the P3ST and you do have no prior experience of buying tires then buy from the authorised Michelin dealer closest to you. You may end up paying a bit more or getting a little less in exchange but the dealer will be easily accessible and the extra expense of going somewhere far off will be negated.

Further you have less chance of being fibbed when a) the dealer is a direct dealer (authorised) and b) he is in the general neighbourhood. In this business word of mouth makes a difference and no dealer in today's competitive market wants a sore customer.

As for how to find whether the tire is new or not well for one the week and year of manufacture is moulded on the sidewalls. Now it being end of May any tire with a date later than 0115 (first week of 2015) should be avoided. Rest look for tell tale markings along the bead of the tire having been mounted/unmounted. Till the money is in your pocket you can reject any no. of samples irrespective of the spiel that it was ordered especially for you etc etc.

Warranty cards are available with all authorised and some unauthorised dealers, you can also read the terms on the manufacturer's web site. The list of authorised dealers is also available there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopoco777 View Post
I have never bought tyres before. How does one come to know whether the tyre is new or not. Is there some sort of a warranty in tyres? If yes, what is covered.

Usually, I saw tyres stacked together in the shops that I had gone - some were dirty with mud n all - hence my apprehensions. Don't tyres which are priced so high come in some sort of covers etc.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 19:05   #159
Senior - BHPian

Having driving quite regularly on the highway and expressway I can say that on the New Bombay stretches (new roads), at speeds around 80, the tires make a clear whistling sound. This comes only on those patches and they come every time. Patches are concrete.

On some tar roads, there is zero noise, but such sections are very rare now-a-days.

At higher speeds, there are other noises such as wind and engine and hence you cannot hear the whistle.

I drive sedately, so I cannot test capabilities of the tire (performance, curves etc.).
I drove in heavy shower on old Mumbai-Pune road a couple of weeks ago, and found nothing missing in terms of grip or braking (speeds were less than 80 kmph on the straight sections after Dehu)

The sidewalls are very soft - you can sometimes feel that there is very less air pressure - just by looking at the car parked. I actually verified the pressure with my Michelin digital gauge more than a few times. 30 psi seems very less on Cedia with these tires - due to engine weight in the front. 32 seems to be better (the flex is lower on the sidewalls).

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th May 2015 at 19:10.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 19:27   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The sidewalls are very soft - you can sometimes feel that there is very less air pressure - just by looking at the car parked. I actually verified the pressure with my Michelin digital gauge more than a few times. 30 psi seems very less on Cedia with these tires - due to engine weight in the front. 32 seems to be better (the flex is lower on the sidewalls).
I fully agree with the flex on the sidewalls. My EcoSport has the P3ST, and every time I see the front tires, I think I've lost air. A quick check at my local tirewala confirms that I've barely lost 1 PSI (often its 0).

At the same time, I'd reassure people that these aren't weak. I've not heard of sidewall damage on these tires, and I have done my share of unavoidable driving into large potholes at speed, and one occasion of hitting a fallen divider stone - the tire didn't show any mark at all, and a later examination at Madhu's also indicated no damage. Michelin intended to toughen these tires for the lousy roads we have here, and I think they've delivered.

Sorry if I sound like a fanboy of the P3ST, but I am a happy user!
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 14:31   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I fully agree with the flex on the sidewalls. My EcoSport has the P3ST, and every time I see the front tires, I think I've lost air. A quick check at my local tirewala confirms that I've barely lost 1 PSI (often its 0).

At the same time, I'd reassure people that these aren't weak. I've not heard of sidewall damage on these tires, and I have done my share of unavoidable driving into large potholes at speed, and one occasion of hitting a fallen divider stone - the tire didn't show any mark at all, and a later examination at Madhu's also indicated no damage. Michelin intended to toughen these tires for the lousy roads we have here, and I think they've delivered.

Sorry if I sound like a fanboy of the P3ST, but I am a happy user!
You have been lucky in this respect i must say. Though i have only good things to say about P3ST, but one of the tyres (left front) already developed a small sidewall bubble , and i dont even recall having hit a pothole hard while driving. For now, I have moved the tyre to right rear.
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 18:01   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Guys, I was planning to upsize my tyres to 195/60 Michelln Primacy ST. But have steel rims, do you guys recommend the upsize on stock steel rims?

Honda City '09
Quoting my query here as well, since I didn't get any reply from the other thread.
Old 27th May 2015, 18:36   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Quoting my query here as well, since I didn't get any reply from the other thread.
As long as your rims are in good shape, there is no problem.
I would recommend 195/65R15 for superlative ride.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 13:07   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Not all expensive tyres come with covers, infact many cheap ones do.

Thanks Khoj. This is good advice and i intend to put it to good use in next couple of days itself. Many thanx.

Just a clarification required on the age of tyres - so if the tyre is dated 1315, then (assuming 4 weeks/month). The manufacturing time of the tyre is 1st week of April, 2015. Correct?

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2015 at 13:11. Reason: Removed the entire quoted post.
Old 28th May 2015, 14:14   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopoco777 View Post
Thanks Khoj. This is good advice and i intend to put it to good use in next couple of days itself. Many thanx.

Just a clarification required on the age of tyres - so if the tyre is dated 1315, then (assuming 4 weeks/month). The manufacturing time of the tyre is 1st week of April, 2015. Correct?

That's right. First 2 digits represent the manufacturing week and the other two represent the manufacturing year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks