Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 16:05   #196
BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I agree that many pebbles and stones get picked up in the tread (though not compared against other tires to see if this is more than or less than the norm, since apart from appearance it's never bothered me). I either clean them when truly bored, or when getting a WB done.

If engine braking is improving your emergency braking performance, then I have news for you - its your brakes that are faulty, not your tires. Engine braking also transfers braking force through the tires onto the road, same as normal friction brakes. Its just the source of the braking force that has changed from the hydraulically-driven friction brakes to the engine acting as a gigantic air compressor. If you'd said that engine braking also didn't help, then I'd agree its the tires. Right now, you need to check your brakes - it could be something as simple as a brake pad/lining change, to a brake system bleeding or topup, or something deeper like EBD (emergency brakeforce distribution) or brake assist not working right.
Nothing of this sort. My car is a brand new car with just 7k on the odo and after the recent service, there is no fault or anything reported with the brakes.
Old 9th November 2015, 11:00   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Not very happy with the P3ST. Off course the ride has been plush with it as compared to the JK before but I see the below disadvantages with the tyres.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with P3STs.

Quote:
1. Have to take a lot of care on the tyres because the its very soft and are prone for side wall tears and foreign element absorption very easily. Today most of the areas in Bangalore itself are like rural areas and with city drives itself punctures are easily possible.
Well, I do not completely agree about having to take a lot of care. I used XM1 and then P3STs on my Honda City for 6 years and I only had one incident:
a. One puncture in my 5 years 52k kms of ride. All kinds of places urban, semi-urban and rural places were visited during that time. Hyderabadm Bangalore, Mysore, Vijayawada, Kurnool, Nandyal and numerous villages along-side all the cities I mentioned above.

My advice would be to check with a Michelin authorized dealer to see if there is some manufacturing defect in the tyres.

Quote:
2. After upgrade to P3ST on my Rapid, I feel that the car slips emergency braking at high speeds. I have to necessarily use the engine braking to reduce the speed of the car during emergency braking situations. This gets even worse on wet conditions.
Have you been calibrating the tyre pressure regularly? What size tyres did you get, were those the same as stock or upgrades? Were the rims changed too?

Quote:
3. Lot of small pebbles/stones always gets stuck in the tread lines of the tyres which I have to remove at frequent intervals.
Not once did I have to pay attention to this in those 5 years and believe me I've had my share of rough road runs.

Quote:
Overall not very happy with the performance comparing the hype that was created for the P3ST and the associated pricing.

Infact I was very happy with the Brigdestone tyres in my previous car Manza which did its duty for 40K kms very efficiently.

Below is the pic of the latest puncture on the P3ST where a foreign element looking L shape and measuring 4 inch has pierced the tyre causing puncture which was removed and puncture glue was affixed.
Well, as I mentioned, I think each of us form our opinion based on our experience and since my experience has been extremely positive, I vouch for Michelins whether XM1 earlier, XM2 or P3STs now. On the costing end, I do agree that they are a bit expensive as compared to other tyres in the market.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 21:26   #198
BHPian

Got a set of 4 P3STs for my friend's Passat (215/55 R16) each costing Rs 13850 through Lal tyres in Chennai.

The car came with Pirelli P7 but the tyres had badly worn out in 30k odd kms and my friend wanted something more rugged this time to suit our conditions without compromising on the noise levels. Tried many dealers but only Lal had a stock of 8 tyres and they claimed that there were only 8 such tyres available in TN
Old 16th November 2015, 16:38   #199

Got a quote for replacement tyres for Scross from Bombay tyres at milan subway for size 205 /60/16 . seemed extremely reasonable at 7500 each. Is there a catch here??
Old 17th November 2015, 17:57   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydesylva View Post
Got a quote for replacement tyres for Scross from Bombay tyres at milan subway for size 205 /60/16 . seemed extremely reasonable at 7500 each. Is there a catch here??
Please check at the under-mentioned link to find out if the dealer is an authorized Michelin dealer. If not, then the warranty may not apply.

http://media.michelinman.com/content...y-michelin.pdf

--Kalyan

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 17th November 2015 at 17:57. Reason: Added signature
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 17:02   #201
BHPian

Just put the 195/60 R15 on my Honda Jazz as stock replacement. Was initially going for XM2, but the dealer didn't have them. Driven about 160 km and lesser cabin noise, more mileage. However, acceleration seems to have reduced. Will keep updated.
Old 19th November 2015, 12:34   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabass View Post
Just put the 195/60 R15 on my Honda Jazz as stock replacement. Was initially going for XM2, but the dealer didn't have them. Driven about 160 km and lesser cabin noise, more mileage. However, acceleration seems to have reduced. Will keep updated.
Regarding the acceleration, please check the tyre pressure you are maintaining. It would be different than the one recommended for the stock tyre, guessing that was 30 psi? Experiment with 32 psi to see if it improves.

--Kalyan
Old 12th January 2016, 11:21   #203
BHPian

Hi, I will be getting my S-Cross this week which comes with the JK Elanzos(205/60 R16). Like all the other S-Cross owners, I am planning to change the tyres too. I'm considering the Michelin P3STs and the Pirelli P4s. Which ones should I opt for? I would be driving majorly in the city(60-70%).
Do the softer sidewalls on the Michelins make them more prone to punctures when driven on bad roads?
Old 12th January 2016, 12:23   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Do the softer sidewalls on the Michelins make them more prone to punctures when driven on bad roads?
I had the same concern before moving to Michelin P 3ST. But now after 35K+ Kms and taking the car on all kind of roads, I am satisfied with its performance. I think 2 punctures till date, but these were not due to bad roads.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 16:52   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Hi, I will be getting my S-Cross this week which comes with the JK Elanzos(205/60 R16). Like all the other S-Cross owners, I am planning to change the tyres too. I'm considering the Michelin P3STs and the Pirelli P4s. Which ones should I opt for? I would be driving majorly in the city(60-70%).
Dear sir,

I have had a similar experience as that of Arun with Michelin tyres. In my 50k kms drives in a span of 5 years, there were only two punctures. One was a result of a sidewall tear due to my mistake while parking. Another was a routine puncture. I did take the car out to all kinds of places urban, sub-urban and rural places so it is safe to say that they perform better than the general anticipation.

--Kalyan
Old 14th January 2016, 17:15   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not very happy with the P3ST. Off course the ride has been plush with it as compared to the JK before but I see the below disadvantages with the tyres.

1. Have to take a lot of care on the tyres because the its very soft and are prone for side wall tears and foreign element absorption very easily. Today most of the areas in Bangalore itself are like rural areas and with city drives itself punctures are easily possible.

2. After upgrade to P3ST on my Rapid, I feel that the car slips emergency braking at high speeds. I have to necessarily use the engine braking to reduce the speed of the car during emergency braking situations. This gets even worse on wet conditions.

3. Lot of small pebbles/stones always gets stuck in the tread lines of the tyres which I have to remove at frequent intervals.

Overall not very happy with the performance comparing the hype that was created for the P3ST and the associated pricing.

While overall , I am happy with the tire performance , there have been instances especially on concrete surfaces where I have had ABS kick in with my 3STs( upgraded to 195 mm tires from 185 mm OE tires)

I have had the "slipping " feeling while braking for some speedbreakers just before toll booths. Wet weather grip has been decent , but then I never exceed 60-70 kph in rains . Having done these stretches in the same car with the pathetic OE tires , i have never had ABS kicking in anytime.

Same way with pebbles in between the grooves .

Have driven 20 K kms in the last months on these tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

If engine braking is improving your emergency braking performance, then I have news for you - its your brakes that are faulty, not your tires.
My car has done 40 K kms , but as of now there are no problems with brakes . I can confidently say it has to be the tires . As a test , I am maintaining 2 psi lesser this time . Will update on what I see .
Old 15th January 2016, 11:22   #207
BHPian

I have a set of Michelin Primacy LC on my Skoda Yeti - At around 50K kms of driving, the tyres are nearly completely worn out.

I do not know how this tyre compares to the 3ST. Has anyone done any kind of analysis on this? Are they more fuel efficient? More comfortable?

I'm looking for inputs from members with actual experience please!
Old 15th January 2016, 12:04   #208
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdatta View Post
Just noting down the comparison between XM2 and P3ST based on all my reading so far.

XM2
1. Better fuel economy due to lesser rolling resistance - People have reported from 0.5 kmpl to 1 kmpl benefit over their previous tyres like JK/MRF (no reports against P3ST as I can't imagine anyone would have done such changes)
2. But less rolling resistance may mean lesser grip on high speed?
3. Available for sizes below 195mm also.
4. Noise level is lesser than JK/MRF but it's not Michelin's selling point for this tyre.
5. Will last longer than P3ST by a few thousand kms.

P3ST
1. More comfortable tyre than XM2 for the same size ?
2. Even lesser noise - Michelin's selling point for this tyre.
3. But may not be saving fuel mileage like XM2 does from the virtue of XM2's lesser rolling resistance.
4. More grips on high speed and braking, - again linked to #3

I'm pretty confused between these 2 tyres, and also between 2 sizes (stock 175/65 or 195/60) for my honda city. Trying to find a perfect combination of the two, - e.g. buying XM2 with 195/60 size and nullify the loss of mileage from wider tyre by the gain of lesser rolling resistance of XM2, but I'm fearing it's a theoretical approach. It's a shame that you can't "try out" a tyre before committing it for 24K. Any help in clearing this dilemma would help.
I have a Honda City too and upgraded to XM2 on day 0 (stock was MRF which was known to be horrible). Don't know about P3ST but if I were you I wouldn't go with XM2:
1. Ride quality- Stiff
2. Fuel economy- around 8-8.5 km/l (I have a VTEC), don't think you will get any improvement over stock the moment you upsize tyres (in any brand)
3. Speed rating- lower than P3ST though it's not a big deal though since it exceeds the car's top speed
4. Noise - significant, but here Honda city insulation could be the culprit too
5. Longer life beyond a certain point isn't a plus, since it suggests a harder compound, lower traction, worse ride quality etc. Tyres have a maximum life too so even if you have tread and your running is less, they need to be changed after a certain period of time due to degradation of the rubber itself.
Given a choice now, I wouldn't re-buy XM2s. Would also look into other products from brands like Continental and Pirelli.
Old 16th January 2016, 22:29   #209
BHPian

I'm a Michelin guy (still running a set of 8 year old Michelin MVX4's on my Benz)

I'm looking for a comparison between Primacy LC over Primacy 3ST
Old 17th January 2016, 09:12   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3227433

2 years and 4 months down the line, this is my report:

a) The tyres are ever so slightly harder than the PLCs that were fitted earlier. They exhibit a bit more rolling noise in comparison. The good thing is less body roll and better cornering, again in comparison to the PLCs

b) No punctures. Can't blame the tyres if I drive over a sharp or pointed object or even a deep pothole on the road can I?

c) That said, I keep away from rough roads as far as possible. Most driving is in city and the GQ where road conditions are mostly good to pretty bad in patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I'm a Michelin guy (still running a set of 8 year old Michelin MVX4's on my Benz) I'm looking for a comparison between Primacy LC over Primacy 3ST
IIRC the Michelin Primacy LCs have been phased out and replaced by the Primacy 3 ST. You may want to consider other Primacy models (3ST or HP) for your Benz

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th January 2016 at 09:17.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks