Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2016, 17:07   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I have a set of Michelin Primacy LC on my Skoda Yeti - At around 50K kms of driving, the tyres are nearly completely worn out. I do not know how this tyre compares to the 3ST. Has anyone done any kind of analysis on this? Are they more fuel efficient? More comfortable? I'm looking for inputs from members with actual experience please!
Check my post below. I am probably one of those rare car owners who had both tyre 'models' on the same car in a relatively short period of time. And feel free to ask should you need more info.
Old 18th January 2016, 18:59   #212
BHPian

Cheers R2. One last question - did you notice a difference in fuel economy? The Primacy LC tyres were marketed as low rolling resistance but the 3ST's are not.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:23   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Cheers R2. One last question - did you notice a difference in fuel economy? The Primacy LC tyres were marketed as low rolling resistance but the 3ST's are not.
BTW the P3ST also has the 'X' embossed on the sidewall which denotes a low rolling resistance tyres. My BS Turanzas were standard run of the mill OEM tyres but pretty good ones.

So, over 3 sets of tyres including OE, my car consistently gives me a standard 11-12 kmpl in the city, going up to between 14.5-15.5 kmpl on highway runs.

So even if there has been a positive/negative change I believe it'd be too small (in 10ths of a KM).

YMMV of course. But I believe FE is affected more by other factors such as maintenance/engine condition, car speed, timely gear shifts and judicious use of the clutch, auto transmission or manual, tyre pressure, traffic conditions, use of AC, # of passengers, luggage etc.

All this low rolling resistance marketing talk is just that. If it does make a difference then it's too minor to be appreciable.

Don't base your decision on this.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 05:21   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydesylva View Post
Got a quote for replacement tyres for Scross from Bombay tyres at milan subway for size 205 /60/16 . seemed extremely reasonable at 7500 each. Is there a catch here??
Did you upgrade finally? Please share the make and price along with dealers considered. Am just getting my s-cross 1.6 and am going nuts thinking about tyre and alloy upgrades. Tyres for better comfort, grip and noise levels ; and alloys for the looks.
Old 9th February 2016, 11:30   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross-posting from my Ownership thread,

Here is a number comparison between my previous set Goodyear Eagle NCT5 and Current set Michelin 3ST.

Wear and Tear:

Goodyear Eagle NCT5 after 35582

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-tyo1optimized.jpg

Michelin 3ST after 37200, still it has some good life.

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Tyres-20160204_123032optimized.jpg

Punctures:
  • Goodyear Eagle NCT5, I think it got 4 punctures.
  • Michelin 3ST, 2 punctures so far.
Fuel Efficiency:
  • During this 35582 Kms on Goodyear Eagle NCT5, the average FE was 15.56
  • So far, during its 37200 Kms in Micehelin 3ST, the average FE is 16.27
Note: FE calculated based on the Full tank-Full tank method

Considering that the driving conditions were almost similar throughout, I feel Michelin is really worth the extra money. Also, Michelin offers far better comfort level, is silent and better grip.

Pricing wise both are in different segment though. I compared it because, many ask me about the FE in 3ST as they feel Michelin tyres affect the FE due to its soft nature.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 13th August 2016 at 19:04. Reason: correcting typo
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 11:47   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

Goodyear Eagle NCT5 after 355782

[*]During this 355782 Kms on Goodyear Eagle NCT5, the average FE was 15.56
You did mean to say 35,000 kms right? And not 3.5 lakh kms
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 12:09   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
You did mean to say 35,000 kms right? And not 3.5 lakh kms
Thanks revintup. Obviously it is 35K, 35582 to be exact. I have reported Mods to correct the typo.
Old 11th February 2016, 04:39   #218
BHPian

Thanks Arun - useful ownership data here. As they say, the proof is in the pudding!
Screwdriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 07:06   #219
BHPian

I'm planning for a tyre upgrade for my polo with stock size of 185/60 R15. My preferences are Michelin XM2 and primacy 3ST. I had used xm2 for close to 90k kms in my previous cars and I'm really satisfied by it. But recently I heard of good reviews about prima 3st. So I would like try it out. But Their size starts at 196/60. Is it a good size upgrade. I don't want to create any harm to the vehicle with the upgrade.
Old 7th June 2016, 09:20   #220
BHPian

I am new in buying tyres so I have a query, I recently bought 195/60 R15 michilen primacy 3ST, the dealer billed me for wheel balancing and alignment. Is he correct in doing so, I mean since the tyres are new shouldnt they be already balanced and aligned and even if they are not shouldnot the dealer do it for free since I already paid him for buying the tyres.
Old 7th June 2016, 13:43   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
I mean since the tyres are new shouldnt they be already balanced and aligned and even if they are not shouldnot the dealer do it for free since I already paid him for buying the tyres.
Charges for both services vary for each car. Dealer may give some discount but not necessarily keep both services as free. Nothing wrong on his part to charge for these services.

Balancing & alignment needs to be done for the wheel with tyre & not just tyre alone. Balancing is required for even weight distribution, so after mounting tyre on wheel (steel rim or alloy) it gets balanced on dynamic balancing machine. Each wheel will need different amount of weight for balancing.
Similarly, wheel alignment needs to be done after fixing wheels on the car. Toe, castor & camber(not all cars have adjustments for each) gets adjusted during alignment.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 14:41   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Charges for both services vary for each car. Dealer may give some discount but not necessarily keep both services as free. Nothing wrong on his part to charge for these services.

Balancing & alignment needs to be done for the wheel with tyre & not just tyre alone. Balancing is required for even weight distribution, so after mounting tyre on wheel (steel rim or alloy) it gets balanced on dynamic balancing machine. Each wheel will need different amount of weight for balancing.
Similarly, wheel alignment needs to be done after fixing wheels on the car. Toe, castor & camber(not all cars have adjustments for each) gets adjusted during alignment.
Thanks for the information
Old 9th June 2016, 08:04   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering that the driving conditions were almost similar throughout, I feel Michelin is really worth the extra money. Also, Michelin offers far better comfort level, is silent and better grip.
How does the 3 ST perform when you take the corners aggressively? Do they roll a lot like XM2? That's my only worry about slapping a set of Michelin on the Fiesta. I really all other attributes of the tyre.

Linea will be a good candidate to judge that. Besides, the Ford is currently on Eagle NCT 5.
Old 9th June 2016, 09:40   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cross-posting from my Ownership thread,

Pricing wise both are in different segment though. I compared it because, many ask me about the FE in 3ST as they feel Michelin tyres affect the FE due to its soft nature.
The tyres look like they can go on for another 15K kms without any problem.For a comfort oriented tyre like P3ST, 50K is excellent life. Also shows the care you have taken in maintaining them meticulously. What is the interval you follow for alignment,balancing and rotation?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 23:32   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
How does the 3 ST perform when you take the corners aggressively? Do they roll a lot like XM2? That's my only worry about slapping a set of Michelin on the Fiesta. I really all other attributes of the tyre.

Linea will be a good candidate to judge that. Besides, the Ford is currently on Eagle NCT 5.
This is way ahead of XM2. It sticks even if you are taking the corners aggressively. However, now after close to 48K on these tyres, its characteristics has changed. But still has tread left for another 10K Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The tyres look like they can go on for another 15K kms without any problem.For a comfort oriented tyre like P3ST, 50K is excellent life. Also shows the care you have taken in maintaining them meticulously. What is the interval you follow for alignment,balancing and rotation?
I have done 48K on these tyres and looks good for another 10K. Alignment, balancing and rotation(4wheel rotation) is done every 5-6K Kms.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks