Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 13:23   #76
BHPian

Re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Good Year RT-S is an all season tyre & not an all terrain tyre.

Its good for highway duty & can manage off road / trail driving decently.

Its a pretty ordinary tyre & reviews of this tyre are pretty average, hence you are getting a good deal.
Thanks again Karan for this information. I'l stay with BS-D or look at Continental CC A/T. MRF's seem to be having hard rubber so mileage (life) could be more but ride quality might be a bit compromise I feel.

Regards,
Old 7th June 2015, 02:02   #77
BHPian

Hi Karan,

Just came across Good year Wrangler AT/SA with SilentArmor Technology and read positive reviews about it. This seems to be a recent addition to the Goodyear stable. I had been to see Ceat Czar A/T tyre and also got to see the GY ones.

What would you suggest on these two as the price is the same for both. Ceat has 2 yrs unconditional warranty where GY has 3 yrs I guess. On the site they have mentioned 5 years. Also read positive on the CZar when compared to Yokos.

Regards,
Old 7th June 2015, 13:09   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Hi Karan,

Just came across Good year Wrangler AT/SA with SilentArmor Technology and read positive reviews about it. This seems to be a recent addition to the Goodyear stable. I had been to see Ceat Czar A/T tyre and also got to see the GY ones.

What would you suggest on these two as the price is the same for both. Ceat has 2 yrs unconditional warranty where GY has 3 yrs I guess. On the site they have mentioned 5 years. Also read positive on the CZar when compared to Yokos.

Regards,
Id prefer to pick the Good Years over the CEAT specifically because the "Wrangler" series comes a long way & the one you are talking about now is a proper All terrain tyre & as the price for both is same hence the your pick should be Good years only

Last edited by karan561 : 7th June 2015 at 13:10.
Old 14th June 2015, 16:46   #79
BHPian

Hi,

I finally threw the 'tyre kida' out of my head and changed all 5 tires of my Xylo with Good Year Wrangler AT/SA 215/75 R15 stock size.

Went through dozens of reviews on the tire before locking it in my mind. Read kind of 10% negative feedback but then reviews are from perception so decided to finalize the GY-W. After all 90% of the users had spoken positive about the tyre..

Firstly, spoke to my local puncture wala who also stocks old tires and he instantly agreed to pay 3500 in spite of 2 tyres going a bit bald on the inside owing to some misalignment and hence this amount otherwise it would have been 4k. Earlier another tyre wala was giving me 3k so 3.5k was an icing on the cake..

Also asked him about the unused stepney for which he agreed to pay 2k with some negotiation. So total deal was going to be 5.5k. Finalized with him and went to the tyre shop for new fitment.

Dealer had quoted 5600 for GY-W. Got the used ones changed and asked him about the stepney to which he took some time and said you need to pay me 700 for the fifth tyre with the existing one in buy back. That was a whopping 4900 for the 3 year old stepney..

I agreed immediately and got the deal done..it was a net investment of 20k for all 5 tyres of april 2015 make.
On my way back..gave the 4 used ones to the puncture wala and told him about the fifth one..

Finally peace of mind for spiti trip..

Will share the review after the trip with both highway and off road use.

Regards,
Old 7th July 2015, 15:17   #80
BHPian

Hi,

Completed 5k kms on these new tyres and I am absolutely satisfied with their performance. Absolutely no road noise. Ride quality has softened a bit and road grip on cornering has improved largely. I used to feel corners on my earlier BS-D's but these seem to have bettered that feel to a good extend.

Spiti roads are indeed bad and we encountered rough roads for almost 1200-1500 kms throughput the trip. Roads right from Rampur, Tapri, Sangla, Kalpa, Nako, Tabo, Kaza, Losar, Kunzum and then towards Chhatru were real bad with lots of dust, stones, gravel, water, Ice, slush etc but these tires did not let us down. Descend from Kunzum was bad with narrow roads and lots of stone slices all over the road. No cuts, punctures or any major damage on the tread whatsoever. Just had one puncture on the entire trip and that was owing to a 4 inch long nail which was while we were put up at a hotel in Sangla. Otherwise no issues whatsoever.

I would share my 10k kms review soon..so far, completely satisfied with GY-W's AT/SA.

Regards,
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:11   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Completed 5k kms on these new tyres and I am absolutely satisfied with their performance.

Spiti roads are indeed bad and we encountered rough roads for ...

I would share my 10k kms review soon..so far, completely satisfied with GY-W's AT/SA.
Thanks for the feedback on the tyre performance.
Are you also writing a travelogue on your Spiti trip for us fellow travelers that are planning their trips?

All other Fortuner/tyre experts here -
Can you please direct me to a place where I can get Conti CC AT 265/65 ATRs in Bangalore?
My current set has done 60K [that includes one Ladakh drive and some off roading] and tread is looking like it will last for another 10k. Want to go for replacement but can wait for a month or two if stock is not readily available.

Also, it will help if somebody tell me where can I trade my old tires that have some juice still left.
Old 29th July 2015, 12:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the tyre performance.
Are you also writing a travelogue on your Spiti trip for us fellow travelers that are planning their trips?
I am indeed thinking of writing a travelogue..will update soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Also, it will help if somebody tell me where can I trade my old tires that have some juice still left.
Talk to your local puncture wala guy..tyre dealers will not give you the amount saying this will get you 100-200 bucks only...whereas there are people who buy used tyres..especially if they are selling their vehicles or the 'T' permit guys...they run till the tyres get bald..you'll surely get a handsome amount for your used tyres..

Regards,
Old 5th August 2015, 19:29   #83

Hi Friends.

This would be my first post on Team BHP. I have been following threads here for over 3 years now.

I have recently managed to buy a Well Maintained Fortuner 4x4 MT 2010, the previous owner has maintained it well with a thorough service history.

The monster has run almost 72000 kms and there is still some rubber left on two of the tyres but I need to replace 3 tyres immediately. After a brief market survey i have come across a few options -

1. DUNLOP AT20 Made in Thailand for approx 13000 a piece without Warranty. Toyota Authorized workshops are selling the same for 22-23k a piece. Though I think they would be selling Made in Japan ones.
2. Bridgestone for approx 11000 a piece
3. Apollo Hawkz AT for approx 7000 a piece.
4. Michelin is approx 14-15k a piece, however i am not considering it as an option after reading about its weak side wall issues.

Apollo Hawkz come at a Jaw dropping price. Apollo is OEM for Scorpio and there are some good reviews posted by Scorpio users. However need your advice on the same. At the cost of two Dunlop tyres I can replace all four if i choose Apollo.

Advice?
Old 5th August 2015, 20:13   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanu84 View Post
Hi Friends.

This would be my first post on Team BHP. I have been following threads here for over 3 years now.

I have recently managed to buy a Well Maintained Fortuner 4x4 MT 2010, the previous owner has maintained it well with a thorough service history.

The monster has run almost 72000 kms and there is still some rubber left on two of the tyres but I need to replace 3 tyres immediately. After a brief market survey i have come across a few options -

1. DUNLOP AT20 Made in Thailand for approx 13000 a piece without Warranty. Toyota Authorized workshops are selling the same for 22-23k a piece. Though I think they would be selling Made in Japan ones.
2. Bridgestone for approx 11000 a piece
3. Apollo Hawkz AT for approx 7000 a piece.
4. Michelin is approx 14-15k a piece, however i am not considering it as an option after reading about its weak side wall issues.

Apollo Hawkz come at a Jaw dropping price. Apollo is OEM for Scorpio and there are some good reviews posted by Scorpio users. However need your advice on the same. At the cost of two Dunlop tyres I can replace all four if i choose Apollo.

Advice?
Congrats on your Fortuner

I would say why repeat Dunlops ? They aren't even proper A/T Tyres but they are ALL SEASON. And the tyres you are being offered aren't even made in Japan.

I'd suggest if you are looking for soft/good ride quality then the Michelins would be the best bet. Regarding the side wall, i don't think there is much of an issue with the Michelins though soft may mean weak to some people but i think Michelins really know how to engineer their tyres well & by all means are worth considering.

The other option is the Continental Cross Contact A/T these are proper aggressive A/T's, really tough & great looking. Ride quality gets marginally down & FE may get affected too (but thats with any good A/T tyre)

About the other options you are considering id say Bridgestone is like a commodity tyre nowadays & Apollo is an Economy option.

Rest is unto you, All the best
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 15:04   #85

I need to change my Fortuner Tyres. will be using the car for some rough use-long distance highway on bad roads and maybe some off roading to the farm. 80% highway use and 20% sand and mud off road. What tyres are best. From the reviews I gather two choices

1) Continental Cross AT-I hear noise issues? Is that true
2) Latitude Cross Michelins A/Ts

Any advice which is better?

Thanks

Navjit
Old 21st August 2015, 12:52   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navial View Post
I need to change my Fortuner Tyres. will be using the car for some rough use-long distance highway on bad roads and maybe some off roading to the farm. 80% highway use and 20% sand and mud off road. What tyres are best. From the reviews I gather two choices

1) Continental Cross AT-I hear noise issues? Is that true
2) Latitude Cross Michelins A/Ts

Any advice which is better?

Thanks

Navjit
Yes you are correct the above 2 are the best tyres for Fortuner IMO.

Between the 2 its simple, Michelins will be more comfortable v/s Conti CC A/T will be more capable Off road.

So the choice is yours
Old 21st August 2015, 22:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Yes you are correct the above 2 are the best tyres for Fortuner IMO.

Between the 2 its simple, Michelins will be more comfortable v/s Conti CC A/T will be more capable Off road.

So the choice is yours
Ahem.

Manuj's Yokos are doing fine. And my Pirellis are holding their own after 34K.

I didn't find much difference between the stock tyres and the Pirellis. Let's see after 10000 km more.

I might go for the Contis or Pirellis (hard to find) next time.
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:00   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Ahem.

Manuj's Yokos are doing fine. And my Pirellis are holding their own after 34K.

I didn't find much difference between the stock tyres and the Pirellis. Let's see after 10000 km more.

I might go for the Contis or Pirellis (hard to find) next time.
Well you have faced a couple of punctures in you Pirelli & IIRC it was just a few months after purchase. Where as in my Conti's no puncture yet

Well jokes apart a nail is a nail but still the tyre / tread design somewhat matters too.

So i believe with your kinda lifestyle & touring your next buy should be the Continental Cross Contact A/T's
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:53   #89
BHPian

I just changed the tyres on my Montero to Michelin Lattitude Cross A/T - 265-65-17. Huge difference as compared to the earlier Maxxis H/T tyres. Improved comfort and steering feel, better grip and is very good on the highway. Did a bit of mud road driving and no traction issues whereas the earlier tyres used to make the traction control light come on frequently. Quite silent too and doesn't squeal on braking or hard cornering

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 18th December 2015, 11:51   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Completed 5k kms on these new tyres and I am absolutely satisfied with their performance. Absolutely no road noise. Ride quality has softened a bit and road grip on cornering has improved largely. I used to feel corners on my earlier BS-D's but these seem to have bettered that feel to a good extend.

Spiti roads are indeed bad and we encountered rough roads for almost 1200-1500 kms throughput the trip. Roads right from Rampur, Tapri, Sangla, Kalpa, Nako, Tabo, Kaza, Losar, Kunzum and then towards Chhatru were real bad with lots of dust, stones, gravel, water, Ice, slush etc but these tires did not let us down. Descend from Kunzum was bad with narrow roads and lots of stone slices all over the road. No cuts, punctures or any major damage on the tread whatsoever. Just had one puncture on the entire trip and that was owing to a 4 inch long nail which was while we were put up at a hotel in Sangla. Otherwise no issues whatsoever.

Regards,
Hi.. Just completed 50K on my Xylo and 10K on GY SA's. Absolutely satisfied with the performance of these tyres. No issues whatsoever. Had a puncture on one of the tyres but that's again usual on Mumbai roads. Tyre treads have not reduced much and they seem good for another 40K kms atleast. Tyres are really silent and the SA technology seems to be working. road noise is less and road shocks seem to be absorbed better than BS-D's.

50K overall on these tyres will be a good run considering the money you throw to get them. Rotation and balancing is due this Saturday before a Christmas trip. Good to go tyre I can say..

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks