Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 17:54   #1
r8d
BHPian

Mitsubishi Outlander : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello,
Was looking at switching my black 2008 outlander rims + wheels finally. Right now, It has 215/70/16 yokohama geolanders with stock rims right now.

Basically looking at either going 235/70/16, 235/65/16 or 225/65/17 Wheels.
Will either stick with the geolanders or maybe try out BfGoodrich or something.
Looking for something that has a more agressive profile and tread.

But want to put black or gunmetal rims on. Can anyone suggest where is the best place to look? Everyone i talk to says that there arent that many black rim designs available in bombay.
I dont mind buying them from another City (delhi/bangalore/pune/etc) as long as its a reliable place and they can get it shipped to me.
Old 14th September 2013, 20:30   #2
BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Outlander Rims & Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8d View Post
Hello,
Was looking at switching my black 2008 outlander rims + wheels finally.
Hi r8d,

Welcome to the forum!
Of all the tyre plus sizes which you have put up, the 235/65/16 is the best. Black alloys are available aplenty in bombay, but not in the size which you are looking into (i.e. 16'' or 17'').
For the alloys:
- Check out bombay tyres in milan subway. They have the best alloy collection in the western suburbs.
- Check out this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...rial-area.html
- Look around the web for the alloys of your choice and then hunt down the distributor of that particular brand in India. (e.g. IIRC Pete's is the official distributor for Momo's or some such other famous brand in India). They should be able to distribute the alloys.
- Some international sites ship to India. Have a look into that.
- Purchase a particular design you like and then have it powder coated to black / gun metal black.

Just remember to check the rim width for a particular size using this link: http://www.team3wheels.com/tech_specs_tire_chart.html.
Also please check whether the outlander has any offset or not, since your choice may be further limited by that.

On the tyre front: As already mentioned, the 235/65 is the better one. As for the tyre type, I am assuming that you are not going to be doing any off-roading? The best tyres for this are: Michelin latitude tour HP's.
If you are insistent on aggressive tread pattern: Go for the A/T type tyres where you have numerous options (Conti's cross contact are the current hot favouraites on this forum).

I am currently running Latitude tours on one of my cars, so I can vouch for these. Regarding the A/T's, I have only experience of Apollo's.

One question: Where in Bombay you get BF Goodrich?

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 20:51   #3
r8d
BHPian

Hi Simple_car,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Honestly have no idea where you get BFGoodrich's, but i remember seeing a Ad for them in an Indian magazine, last month, so guessing that someone stocks them. Will let you know if I find out.
Have already gone to saifee here. He didn't have much.
Will try Bombay Tyres on monday.
Had also heard good things about Pals tyres, so wanna go check them out too.

Had contacted Koneig to find out who their agent in India was, but they mailed back saying that they didn't have an Indian distributor anymore.
Will look in to the others.
Just mailed autopsyche and sai wheels, so waiting on their replies.
Had been considering the powder coated option, was wondering how durable it was? considering the everyday ear and tear from driving around bombay.

Also would you be able to direct me to any of the reliable international sites that ship to India?
Thanks again.
Old 15th September 2013, 19:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Simple_car,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Saifee's collection is terrible honestly. Don't know about Pal tyres, but they shouldn't be any better.
You should try and contact pete's directly, since he is the official importer of borbet alloys in India, and is a very reliable source.

Other international sites which I know of:
- http://www.1010tires.com/
- http://www.performancealloys.com/

You have to contact them first and get a quote and ask them whether they will ship to India or not. For some sort of safety, you always have paypal or something like that.. I have not imported any rims personally, so I cannot vouch for them. However, these are very famous sites globally and they generally do not cheat.

Check out this link on this very forum and see if it helps: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...web-sites.html

Powder coating if done well, will withstand abuse in Bombay very well. But, the key here is done well. Keep this in mind.

Another thing to bear in mind while buying alloys is:
- please check whether there is an offset on your stock alloys or not. Before purchasing any alloy ask the offset value (ET value). If a particular alloy you like has an offset not matching your stock, then you have to use hub centric rings.
- Make sure that the alloy's hub diameter and your car's hub diameter are the same. Most aftermarket alloys have a larger hub diameter so that they can fit a wide range of cars. If the alloys hub is larger, you will have to fit a hub centric ring. Otherwise, you will have vibrations on steering wheel at higher speeds.
- when putting up the hub centric rings, just check the thickness of the ring or consult pete's or any famous installer to get your doubts clarified.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 16th September 2013, 10:54   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But want to put black or gunmetal rims on. Can anyone suggest where is the best place to look? Everyone i talk to says that there arent that many black rim designs available in bombay.
The 17" wheel range at tyre shops sucks. Understandably though, as these are slow moving sizes.

Don't sweat. You'll have to put in more effort, but can easily get the rims you want.

I second the Sai Mag Wheels recommendation by Simple_car. Saw a design online, paid Sai and he imported them in a set of FIVE (I don't believe in having a non-alloy spare). It took a couple of weeks, but I was ready to wait for the design I really wanted.

WRT the finish, it really depends on whether the style you like is available in black / gun metal or not. The one I picked wasn't. Hence, I got them painted at Rio Designs. Full experience listed here.

You might also want to check out Karan's success with ordering tyres online : Link.

Keep us in the loop and share pics of your Outlander's new legs once installed.
Old 16th September 2013, 16:34   #6
r8d
BHPian

So got in touch with Sai Wheels and Autopsyche,
Went thru Sai's online collection, chose a couple of designs that i like over 16" and 17".
These are :
http://www.alloywheelsindia.com/full...size=16&gid=41
(In Black)
http://www.alloywheelsindia.com/full...size=16&gid=41
(Full machined black)
http://www.alloywheelsindia.com/prod...1/40/h_125.htm
(Full machined black)

based on my requirements,
Auto psyche sent me a couple of wheels from which i short listed the ones i like.
Just waiting on costs.
These are the pics attached.
Went thru pete's online store. Not too may of the 17's he has will fit my car i think.
So will anyway wait to hear back from Sai and AutoPsyche.
Will probably ride down to Bombay Tyres tmrw to check.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Outlander : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-17-es7-bkf-2.jpg  

Mitsubishi Outlander : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-17-pdg-hd-2.jpg  

Old 24th September 2013, 19:18   #7
r8d
BHPian

hello,
so here are the rims that Sai has in stock. (the ones with the silver lip are 17" and the other one is 16")
Has anyone heard about Hijoin Racing wheels? Are they worth it?

Drove down to Goa last thursday, down NH4, car was fun to drive, but the state of the roads did make me wonder whether it would make more sense to stick to 16" rims and get wider rubber.
Attached Images

Old 1st April 2014, 20:12   #8
BHPian

Tyre upsize for 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander

Hello fellow T-BHPians,
I seek your advice and valuable inputs regarding upgrading the tyres on my 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander. I have only completed 19000 kms till date so it is safe to say that I haven't driven it much. Majority of these kms have been done in the past one year as this has now become my daily drive of around 60 kms. Coming back to the tyres, the stock setup is 215/70 R16 Yokohama Geolander G033 which in my opinion does not do justice to the ride quality, comfort, handling and every other aspect I can think of. The tyres are in good shape tread wise (around 20k-25k kms worth of life still remaining) but I think the rubber has gotten a bit hard as opposed to when they were new. The road noise also has become very prominent. I can feel the rough, disoriented roads of Gurgaon shuddering through the suspension and steering wheel towards my arms. All in all I am totally dissatisfied with the current setup.

So, I would request you guys to please suggest and guide me as to what could be the worthy contenders to plonk my money on. I plan to keep the stock alloys. So far, as per my research, my top choice is the Michelin tyre. The Latitude cross measuring 235/70 R16. It is a fair bit of upsize (~3.96% variation) and I am worried about the consequences of filling up the wheel-well to the brim with these. But discussions with the Michelin authorized dealer and the Mitsubishi workshop person (the tyre expert as per the SA) this tyre size is acceptable. I saw another Outlander last month at the workshop shod with these exact tyres and it looks pretty decent. I checked the inner dimensions with the wheels turned lock to lock and they seemed fine. Unfortunately the owner was not there so I couldn't talk to him directly at that time. The car is mostly driven on the so-called highway (NH8, a total mess) with patches as good as off-roads.

What I am expecting from the new tyres is better ride comfort (softness), width that can fill the wheel arch nicely, minimal road noise, a mix of HT/AT type of design to suit the driving conditions and most importantly they should not touch any part of the inner lining of the wheel-well while traveling vertically or hard braking.

Please suggest other options or should I go with the Michelins only? Any Outlander owner reading this? Whats are your opinions? Awaiting your valuable inputs. Thanks in advance all. CHEERS..!!
Old 7th April 2014, 13:22   #9
r8d
BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Outlander : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi carrazy,
Ive been contemplating the same thing. I have a 2009 outlander,which I bought used last year, right now its got Geolander 225/70/16s on it. Ive been looking for an upgrade, had initially thought about going up to 235/70/16 in yoko/michelin/pirelli but after researching online I'm not sure whether they might be too much and run foul.
Are you sure about what the Mitsubishi guys said? That it shouldnt be a problem? If you do it, please upload pics & let me know about how it goes.
Old 30th April 2015, 15:56   #10

Hi Carrazy,

What tyre size and type did you finally go for? Please let me know.
I had been looking for Michelin 215/70 R16 tyres but they are not currently available in the market right now.

Someone from the tyre shop advised me to buy Michelin 235 R16 tyres though it might affect the fuel efficiency.
Old 6th May 2015, 16:09   #11
r8d
BHPian

235/70/16
pretty nice. feels more planted.
r8d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 00:35   #12

Hi r8d,
Seems like you are happy with this over-sizing .
What is your observation on fuel efficiency? Please post more details on your upgrade - would be helpful.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:20   #13

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
235/70/16
pretty nice. feels more planted.
How are these working for? After i calculated wheel offset, the calc shows this may not be advisable.

look fwd to response
Old 25th August 2015, 09:57   #14
r8d
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishsi Outlander : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi,
They're working out pretty nice.
Haven't really noticed any issues at all.

Mileage wise I don't really keep track,
It's a 2 tonne petrol engine with all wheel drive, I'm sure it's not the best hahaha.
r8d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 14:25   #15

The guy ar the tire shop mentioned I will see 10% decrease in fuel efficiency if I go for the upsizing.

Most Viewed