Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 14:51   #241
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
I have heard that small stones get trapped in the tread of the the earth 1 tyres and then make that clackity clack noise while driving.
The owners can probably verify this. So do you guys experience this?
This was the only real concern for me, especially after seeing an earlier post of stones getting lodged.

After 550 km in two weeks on the new tyres (195/60 R15 from 175/70 R14) these are my observations

1. Grip. There is a discernible increase in grip on wet sloping surfaces. Our garage has a concrete ramp at a 25 degree angle (1.5 feet high) and on rainy days when the surface is wet or when the road is submerged the stock apollos would sometimes slip (a fourth of the time) while doing the 'climb', especially if the car was at any orientation except dead straight. That has almost stopped now though I cannot say if it is due to the tread or the width of the new Earth 1s.

2. Noise. At low speeds on average / mediocre roads there is quite a marked reduction in sound which I am still to get used to (ironically the noise used to act as a warning to pedestrians). At high speeds on good roads I am not able to make out a difference.

3. Ride Quality. Bit stiffer, this is appreciated at lower speeds on poor roads (like the EM Bypass in monsoons). The stock tyres had a distinct sponge-like feeling that was unpleasant in these conditions (but which was better at pothole encounters in excess of 30 kmph). So far I have not had the misfortune to note the feeling at high speeds over a pothole. The change could also very well be due to the 5 mm reduced profile.

4. Steering. Slightly heavier at high speeds (>60 kmph) and very helpful

5. Mileage. No difference yet, in general my FE has taken a hit due to the bad roads and increased idling and traffic jams due to the rains. I will have to track this over a longer period to comment.

5. Stones getting lodged. Not as bad as I feared. My commute presently is over some horrible stretches of road (probably worse than a kaccha village road). I make it a point to inspect the tyres after reaching my destination / home. The image below is is the most I have seen after a drive over a bed of stone chips trying to pass off as a road.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-29072015001.jpg

Having said this, I do not think that the stock Apollo Accelere tyres were bad in any way. They were perfectly adequate for my usage within the city on all surfaces except for wet inclines surfaces and slight bit of more noise.

Last edited by Kumar R : 31st July 2015 at 14:59.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:37   #242
BHPian

Replaced Tyres(155R13/80) of my 7year old I10 today, which are having bridgestone currently that ran more than 62K kms. Threading is still good however due to multiple puncher i have to replace the tyres.

This is the first time i am dealing with tyres so checked multiple options in Online and also in some stores also checked multiple reviews but some how missed this thread.

As this car is my daily commute and strictly for City drive thought of not going for expensive tyres Ex:Continental/Michelin/Bridgestone.
I happened to Visit Pitstop in JP Nagar last week, the person whom i met is a senior guys with very sound knowledge. He suggested to go with Yokohama Earth-1, nad quote around Rs.3500 each after some discount and negotiations he came down for Rs.3150 each with Free Tyre Rotation, WA, WB and Free Nitrogen.
Sold the old tyres for Rs.100 each to some other Vendor.

My first impression is that the ride quality has improved a lot.
Need to check it in multiple scenarios. I will post my observation after running for some more distance.
Old 11th August 2015, 10:14   #243
knp
BHPian

@PMK, would you please give me contact details of the shop that you tried at JP Nagar? I want to replace my 6 years old i10 with Earth-1 (185/60R14) and want to check out with them.
Old 17th August 2015, 15:16   #244
BHPian

So, I replaced my MRF ZLO 195/60 R15 with Yoko Earth-1 195/65 R15 over the weekend and would like to report how I find the tires. As you can see, I wanted to upsize it a bit to correct the odometer error and I am happy to report that now the speed is perfectly in sync with the GPS. As an add on, the wheel wells are better filled as well. How does the tire do, by the way?

Well, outright, I am disappointed with the performance. The only area where this is better than the ZLO is the quietness. But not by much, though. Other than that, it is fairly inferior in every aspect. During my 800 KM long drive (Half of which in rain and hilly conditions), I found the grip both in dry and wet condition was not comparable to ZLO and handling was (as expected) not up to the mark. What is surprising is this doesn't even improve the ride comfort. I could feel almost every pot holes on the road, perhaps a sign that the suspension in my Linea is due for overhaul, but nevertheless the tire has a role to play in my opinion. And to think that this tire will last for many many years, I am left wondering why I made such a decision!
Old 24th August 2015, 14:55   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
So, I replaced my MRF ZLO 195/60 R15 with Yoko Earth-1 195/65 R15 over the weekend and would like to report how I find the tires. As you can see, I wanted to upsize it a bit to correct the odometer error and I am happy to report that now the speed is perfectly in sync with the GPS. As an add on, the wheel wells are better filled as well. How does the tire do, by the way?

Well, outright, I am disappointed with the performance. The only area where this is better than the ZLO is the quietness. But not by much, though. Other than that, it is fairly inferior in every aspect. During my 800 KM long drive (Half of which in rain and hilly conditions), I found the grip both in dry and wet condition was not comparable to ZLO and handling was (as expected) not up to the mark. What is surprising is this doesn't even improve the ride comfort. I could feel almost every pot holes on the road, perhaps a sign that the suspension in my Linea is due for overhaul, but nevertheless the tire has a role to play in my opinion. And to think that this tire will last for many many years, I am left wondering why I made such a decision!
Dear
when you switch from 60 profile to 65 profile in the same section width, you will lose on the grounds of:
Handling
Cornering power
Traction / Braking

Its basically a wrong size selection.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:10   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
Dear
when you switch from 60 profile to 65 profile in the same section width, you will lose on the grounds of:
Handling
Cornering power
Traction / Braking

Its basically a wrong size selection.
Right, and if you care to read my post, you will see that I did acknowledge this as 'expected'. What surprised me, though, was the quality of ride. And 65 against 60 is only as wrong a size as 60 is to 55.

Anyway, I have some more update as I have been observing the behavior more closely during my more familiar office commute. I find that the ride improves if the air pressure if down by a psi or two. Don't know if I need to keep the usual or a touch lower.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:45   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Right, and if you care to read my post, you will see that I did acknowledge this as 'expected'. What surprised me, though, was the quality of ride. And 65 against 60 is only as wrong a size as 60 is to 55.

Anyway, I have some more update as I have been observing the behavior more closely during my more familiar office commute. I find that the ride improves if the air pressure if down by a psi or two. Don't know if I need to keep the usual or a touch lower.
Dear
Sorry, to miss your comment "as expected".
Work done by air is directly proportional to pressure and volume.
In this case you have changed the volume of the tyre by approx 11% it is essential to reduce pressure in order to get the same work done / maintain the same rigidity in the tyre sidewall.

You may find this helpful.
itzzme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 14:21   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
@PMK, would you please give me contact details of the shop that you tried at JP Nagar? I want to replace my 6 years old i10 with Earth-1 (185/60R14) and want to check out with them.
Sorry for the late reply, i didn't notice your post here.
if you didn't reached them yet, then here is the address.

PITSTOP, Oppo. Baskin Robbins on 24th main, near 18th cross road.
i think it comes in 6th Phase.
Old 10th September 2015, 14:33   #249
knp
BHPian

Hi, Thank for your reply. I had changed to XM2 as I was not getting this year Earth 1 stock.
Old 11th September 2015, 20:21   #250
BHPian

Replaced apollo aceleres with yoko Earth1. Tyre noise reduction is the most obvious change. Steering has become lighter but not sure whether it is because of the change from a worn out tyre to new one. Will post more details once I take a long drive.
Old 12th September 2015, 15:19   #251
BHPian

Just a small update, rather a testimonial - My Figo completed 20,000kms on the Odo with the Yokohama Earth 1's being it's footwear. Do not find any flaws in the Tyres till now.

The car just returned from a Ladakh Trip (19th August 2015 to 5th of September 2015) clocking about 6,500kms on the odo where the Yokohama Earth 1's performed fantastically. Considering the terrain of Zozila Pass, Khardungla Pass, Changlang La Pass, Rohtang Pass and other such passes that it sailed through along with the load that it had to withstand is recommendable.

Strangely not even a single puncture, neither any cuts on the outer sidewall or on the inner sidewall on those rocky roads.

Very Happy with the Yokohama Earth 1's so far, keeping fingers crossed for the future.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 15:04   #252

I have a 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 EXI Ltd which I had bought 'pre-owned' last year in October. The car came with MRF ZV2K 175x64/r14, which had run for 42000 km and were very hard with low tread depth. I trundled along with them till 50,000 km and went looking for replacements.

I got the front two tyres replaced with Yokohama earth1 series of 17x64/r14. I chose to go with the stock size as I was satisfied with the ride and handling performance offered by the stock size. I didn't want to take a hit on the fuel efficiency front, with my fiesta returning 10-11 kmpl in Delhi with 100% AC on.

Also, I was extremely wary of not putting extra stress and strain on my steering system from up-sizing. Fiesta's steering is known for its awesome feel and feedback but it also happens to be full of quirks in terms of rattles and vibrations over bad patches at speed while in a curve. The system is prone to failure, the replacement parts are expensive and hence I didn't want to take the slightest of chances.

I researched extensively between XM2, GY Assurance, Falken Sincera and Yokos before deciding on the Yokos.

Feedback after 500km on all surfaces is-

Ride and Handling: I found the Yokos to be offering plush ride and good grip levels compared to the ZV2Ks. The difference in ride is considerable with just two tyres and I expect better results once I get the remaining (rear) tyres changed.

Cornering (during high speed/ while accelerating in and out of a turn) has improved and the car hold lines better with the rear waiting to step out as-usual, at which point I back off the throttle.

Braking: Havent been able to observe much change in brake feel or stopping distance

Fuel efficiency: seems to be hovering at 10-11 (first tank full after change) and hence no significant change there. Will update once I've changed all tyres to Yokos

Noise: I find the Yokos to be just marginally quiter when compared to ZV2ks. Not a significant impact on the noise levels. The Yokos could've been quiter.

So far so good and I am a satisfied customer of Yokohama, for now
Old 5th October 2015, 15:32   #253
Senior - BHPian

Question - are these tyres bidirectional?
My indica keeps eating up the outer edges, so if I can turn them inside out to longer their life, so much better!
Old 5th October 2015, 17:18   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Question - are these tyres bidirectional?
My indica keeps eating up the outer edges, so if I can turn them inside out to longer their life, so much better!
I think they do have an outside and an inside.

Why don't you consider swapping the steel rims with alloys/getting the rims straightened/using good old basic MRF tyres (very hard, noisy, but they just don't wear out).
Old 7th October 2015, 17:57   #255

The tyre shop owner told me that the tyres are bi directional and donot have a specific direction of rotation. I couldnt find any markings on the tyres either.

Also, I just concluded a road trip from Delhi to Kasol and back. The tyres did a great job on the freeway from Delhi to Chandigarh at speeds 100-130kmph. They performed very well over huge potholes/ sharp edges at high and slow speeds, gravel, roads stuck up with sharp stones (enroute Kangla) and slush without any issue whatsoever. Now i am more confident than ever of taking up my next road trip to Leh with my car riding on these Yokos

Most Viewed