Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2016, 15:06   #331
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

I have been using Apollo Acelere on my car for the past 38K kms. I am very happy with Acelere. The sidewalls are strong, the dry grip is excellent and the tyres are not prone to puncture. The spec was 175/65/R14. The only grouse which I have with Acelere is that they are quite noisy! Apart from that no issues with Acelere at all. The tyres are VFM. I need a replacement with exactly the same characteristics but with zero/no noise. I am considering Earth 1 and thinking of going for 185/65/R14 on Vista Quadrajet. Let me know what people think. My spare acelere is still good and I will continue to retain it as spare. What would be the cost per tyre for Earth 1 185/65/R14?
Old 24th April 2016, 13:28   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
My spare acelere is still good and I will continue to retain it as spare. What would be the cost per tyre for Earth 1 185/65/R14?
i have used Yoko A drives in 185/65/R14 size in igen i20 and they lasted 70000kms. Got stock apollo accelares which come as OEM tyres replaced during delivery in 2012.
Replaced A drives with Yoko earth 1 in Nov last year and have so far covered 15000 kms without any issues.
Tyres are:
Silent
Provide decent dry/ wet weather grip &
Side walls are even stonger than the A dives which i used earlier.

Only downside is that the steering felt a bit lighter specially during initial 2000 kms.

Would stongly recommend these tyres for your vista.
Price would be INR 4400 to 4600 per tyre

while up sizing to 185 /65 profile , ensure that rim with is min 5.5 j

Regards
jaspal
jaspal singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 16:59   #333
BHPian

Just got 2 front tyres of my City replaced with the Earth1s 185/65/R14 for 4200 each from Premjis in Mahim.

Was earlier using Michelin's XM2 which was a great tyre but with weak sidewalls. So frequent punctures and finally a tyre burst made me switch. The remaining tyres are about 60% worn out in a run of about 28000 kms on the reasonably decent roads of Mumbai and Pune.

From now I'm only going to buy tyres made in India for Indian roads. And no more Michelin.
Old 29th April 2016, 12:16   #334
Senior - BHPian

From this thread , it looks like Earth1s are better at withstanding Indian road abuse than XM2s. How is support from Yokohama incase we encounter an issue ?
Price quoted to me for 185/70 R14 is 4150 per tyre.
Old 9th May 2016, 19:27   #335
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I recently changed the tires on my Fiat Grande Punto from Bridgestones to Yokohama Earth-1. I had bought this car second hand, and the size of tyres it had on were 175/65/R14, and they were quite worn out. I also found the bottom of my car scraping on bumps and potholes quite often, which is also partly due to it being the first generation Fiat Grande Punto (Lower ground clearance), but it was also because of the tires, so I decided to up-size the tires to 185/70/R14, as it is on the stock steel rims, and I don't have the finances for alloy wheels.

I ended up buying the tyres from Ashoka Wheels on Minister Road, and looking at the prices other members have quoted here, I guess I got a good deal. I got 5 tyres, all MY16 for Rs.20,000, which makes it Rs 4,000 per tyre. Paid Rs.550 more for Balancing, Alignment & Nitrogen. They don't buy the old tyres though, and offered to give them back to me, but I didn't want them, because they were in bad shape .

I'm really happy with these tires, and even though it has just been about 150 KMS since they were fitted, I have instantly felt the difference in using them.

Pros:
  • These tyres are much more silent on all surfaces than the Bridgestone tyres I had before, but that could also be partly because of their age.
  • The steering at slower speeds became a bit lighter, but it still weighs up properly at higher speeds.
  • The ride now feels much more plush, and takes undulations and bumps better (Read smoother).
  • The braking is better, and I feel more confident while braking.
  • The car feels more stable in a straight line at higher speeds.
  • The wet grip seems pretty good, because I drove in very heavy rains the other day, and felt much more confident with the grip levels.

Cons:
  • Don't know if this really counts as a Con, but the tyres do pick up small stones in the treads easier than the Bridgestones did. More annoying than an actual problem, or maybe I just have OCD

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 19:37   #336
Senior - BHPian

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-dsc01140.jpg

I am running my 2004 palio on 185/65 R14 earth 1 tyres, purchased last week. The ride:handling bias is 65:35%, and cornering is pretty competent. The car needs suspension work, but at 155 kms driven till date, its a good choice. Cost incurred Rs 4k per tyre for 5 tyres means total of Rs 20,000 including WA+WB. Old tyres were as good as scrap so nothing offered.
sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 10:11   #337
Senior - BHPian

I covered just over 300 KMs on Yoko Earth1s (185/70 14") on my Swift ZXi. Total price if I recollect correctly was 16000 for a set of 4, plus another 400 for WA+WB. Easy and smooth transaction at Lokmanya Tyres. I maybe easily impressed coming from stock JK Vectras, but these tyres are great!

Advantages :
- Good warranty terms , 2 years, unconditional. Thats the only reason I chose them over Michelin XM2s , who have really vague warranty terms.
- Sticks to the road like a leech , compared to my earlier JK Vectras. I cant believe I was making do with those earlier tyres , after experiencing vastly improved steering feel and braking over my earlier tyres.
- Pretty absorbent. Smaller undulations are quite well damped. I used to blame the Swift's unusually hard suspension earlier, but now realising it is not really the case.
- Silent on tar , very acceptable on cement.

The only advantage (if its one) which I saw in my JKs were, inspite of having 30k KMs on it , their tread had not worn one bit.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 10:49   #338
BHPian

I Changed to Yoko Earth 1 (165/65r14 for beat) from GoodYear in March. Have driven 3000 kms since. Price was 4100 per tyre for 4 tyres.
Had to do a swerve and had brake at 60 kmph, tyres provided excellent grip and no nervous moments whereas i had an accident earlier with my good years due to skidding on a similar maneuver. The tyres' are exceptionally silent and ride quality is excellent especially comparing to my old goodyears. Enjoying the ride thoroughly now.
shantonob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 13:13   #339

I had changed front two tyres of my Fiesta 1.6 petrol from stock MRF Zv2k 175x64R14 to Yoko earth 1s of the same size at 46,000 km on the odo. I did a road trip from Delhi to Kasol and back on all sort of road conditions and the tyres served me well. Braking is a bit bad on the Fiesta to start with and these tyres didnot make much of difference in that particular ability. Ride is no doubt smoother and road noise levels are acceptable. The steering does feel a bit vague at low speeds and I wasn't expecting this.

What is worth mentioning is that i had this one stupid incident when I was trying to drive my car fast over a mud/dirt track and I carried too much speed into one particular left hand corner. The car under-steered and I hit the brick/stone kerb with my front right tyre. The impact was huge and the tyre was completely and instantly deflated. I expected the tyre to have blown at the side wall and was also wary of suspension damage for the sort of impact I had. When I checked, I found that the rim had bent severely at the point of impact and hence the tyre got deflated and not because any failure in the tyre surface. However, the tyre did suffer a bulge and a superficial tear. Attached pic for reference.

So it is safe to say that Yoko Earth 1s do have very good sidewall strength and are particularly suitable for harsh and unpredictable Indian road conditions. I guess it is safe to say that I wont be blowing them at high speed when I encounter a the familiar and not so familiar pot hole or most other road surface irregularities that we all come to expect on our roads.

I am again the market looking to upgrade to 185x65xR14 from stock 175x65xR14. I am running stock 14 inch ford rims. Will the 185x65 tyre fit on my stock rim? Will upsizing adversely effect my suspension and steering components? What will be the pros and cons of upsizing from 175 to 185?

My first preference would be the Yokos once again. But I am still willing to consider other options viz. XM2, Continental Comfort Contact, Falken Sincera SN835 etc. I love to drive hard quite frequently and absolutely love holding corners on the many flyovers in Delhi and on mountain roads thanks to my Fiesta's handling abilities and the quick feel some steering. My requirements are: 1) Ride comfort 2) Reliability and strength on all road conditions 3) Cornering grip in dry and wet. Price, fuel efficiency and high mile capability is are not deciding factors for me.

Tyre gurus, please let me know on your feedback to guide me on my next upgrade. Must I stick to Yokos or change to a better tyre based on my requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20160126_133758152.jpg  

Old 26th May 2016, 14:17   #340
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildriver View Post
I am again the market looking to upgrade to 185x65xR14 from stock 175x65xR14. I am running stock 14 inch ford rims. Will the 185x65 tyre fit on my stock rim? Will upsizing adversely effect my suspension and steering components? What will be the pros and cons of upsizing from 175 to 185?

My first preference would be the Yokos once again. But I am still willing to consider other options viz. XM2, Continental Comfort Contact, Falken Sincera SN835 etc. I love to drive hard quite frequently and absolutely love holding corners on the many flyovers in Delhi and on mountain roads thanks to my Fiesta's handling abilities and the quick feel some steering. My requirements are: 1) Ride comfort 2) Reliability and strength on all road conditions 3) Cornering grip in dry and wet. Price, fuel efficiency and high mile capability is are not deciding factors for me.
I have upgraded the Ford from Mrf Zv2k 175/65/R14 to 185/60/R14 Yoko earth one. The car handles much better with the upgrade & cornering grip is also good in dry & wet conditions. You can very well upsize the tyres on your stock rim though I am running it on alloys. I have not had any problems with the suspension or the steering with this upgrade & have already driven 20k kms.

Last edited by vdm295 : 26th May 2016 at 14:32.
vdm295 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 06:40   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I recently had replaced the front two tyres with stock 175/65 earth1 tyres and found them to be quite good.Quiet and the ride quality has improved,not facing the issues you are even with 32psi.
Im so happy with them that im going today to swap out the rear tyres as well,even though they have some life left.

I think 186/60/r14 are closer to the stock size but Im not sure how much of a difference in ride quality it makes. Maybe owners who have upsized with 185/65 can help you out.

Regards
From whom did you buy them? I'm checking for Yoko's in Goa
Old 28th May 2016, 08:51   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
From whom did you buy them? I'm checking for Yoko's in Goa
I had bought two tyres from quick tyre service,marago.Most of his earth 1 tyre stock were old, im not sure if he has exhausted his old stock and replenished it.
He sold me each tyre for 4.2k with free balancing/alignment.

There is one more smaller but famous tyre shop in vasco, Swadeshi tyres, He sells it for 3.9k per tyre( 175/65/r14) and has newer stock. I will be buying two more tyres on monday.

Regards

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 28th May 2016 at 08:52.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 00:45   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

More compliments for the tyre and I was someone who was hesitant when purchasing the unknown (for me) brand like Yokohama after using a famous brand like Goodyear.

Bangalore has unforgiving rains this past year, when it rains the combination of loose tarmac, clogged drains and unpaved paths make for the perfect nightmare. The Earth1's have been a perfect fit for my car which has a wonderfully stable chassis and neutral suspension. During one of the rains involving 8-10 inches of flooded roads, mud, wet roads and non-existent roads the car simply took on each challenge and succeeded like it was nothing, travelling at an average 25-30 kmph. An Audi Q3 which was behind me during the same path always remained 200-300 meters behind my car, I don't know if the driver was babying the car or if he was new to driving but with these tyres I hardly felt any noise, loss of grip or wobbling. The car was stable and without any drama ate the 2 km path with ease overtaking almost every car.

Earth1's are worth their every bit and have made the Getz that much more enjoyable, the stock rock-hard Goodyears seem like rubbish to me now. I'll never keep stock tyres from now on.
Old 6th June 2016, 16:22   #344
BHPian

Here are my initial impressions after upsizing my Fiesta 1.6 with 185/65/R14s. Paid 4100/tire.

1. They roll really well.
2. Almost silent on tar roads and wee bit noisy on concrete at legal speeds.
3. Drove them through rain for 20-30kms at decent speeds and did not see any issues. Couple of hard braking tests in wet and car stopped properly without activating ABS.
4. Pushed them to the limit on few sharp turns and they did squeal but car kept the composure well. I also have XM2 on my Figo and they are a bit more sticking at hard cornering. Found both of them them to be similar in straight line braking.
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 17:41   #345
h14
BHPian

That's how the Earth1's look after 43,000 kms of use in my Linea.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-tyre.jpg
h14 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks