Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2018, 12:09   #511
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

One more observation is that these Yokos somewhat seem being very unfriendly when it comes to cosmetics. I normally use 3m tyre dresser and the polish that I get on these Yokos is somewhat dreary and last only for a few days. The film gets dirty quickly and fades when washed with water.

In comparison, my earlier MRFs and Apollos were to yield brilliant shine which lasted for weeks. The side wall surface would become super clean and repellent to mud, water and dirt. Just a wash and the tyres would be super clean, black and shiny.

Perhaps it is just that the 3m does not gel well with the Yokos and should try some other tyre dressing product, before deriving a conclusion.
Old 2nd February 2019, 19:45   #512
BHPian

Changed my Verna's stock Bridgestone B250s which had run for 65,800 kms to Yoko Earth-1 today. Had tried to get Yoko Blu-Earth A in the same 195/55 R16 size but even after checking with three tyre shops one of which is the biggest Yoko dealer in Ludhiana, got only 1 response that 'these are upcoming tyres'.

Other options were Alnac 4G, Falken SN835, Goodyear Assurance, Pirelli P1, Hankook Kinergy and Conti MC5. Next choice was Conti MC5 which looked really premium compared to Earth 1 but both the dealers didn't have its stock ready. First impressions are as usual after getting brand new shoes is that there is close to zero tyre noise and much better ride quality. Hope everything is good as i have used multoliple Yoko A drive sets on my earlier cars
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20190202_174833.jpg  

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20190202_174848.jpg  

Old 4th February 2019, 10:55   #513
BHPian

Last week, after 55K KMs, I changed the OEM supplied 165 80 R14 JK Vectra on my Swift VXi to Earth1.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-earth.jpg

I have not driven much after the tyre change. I could notice a definite improvement(reduction) in steering tightness and slight decrese in tyre noise.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-earth1.jpg
Old 10th March 2019, 12:41   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The current condition of my tyres at 30k kms.

Attachment 1796966
Front tyres are much better than the current rear ones
After 39.6k kms, I changed the Earth 1s yesterday. They are less than 4 years old from the manufacturing date and less than 3 years old in service. During the last 10k kms, the road noise had increased a lot and the tyres were hard. This impacted the ride and braking.

But I must say, I drove it over some very bad roads regularly and they endured without complain. 1 puncture till date.

The best tyre among all 4 looks like this. This is retained as a spare.
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-stepney.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I think you should get another 8 or 10K out of them. Must be really bad roads!
I was able to get another 10k out of the tyres.
Old 10th March 2019, 20:37   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I was able to get another 10k out of the tyres.
What did you switch to?
Old 11th March 2019, 00:41   #516

Installed Yokohoma Earth 1 (165/65/R13) on my WagonR yesterday as a replacement to the 6+ years old tube type Apollos.
I had also shortlisted Continental CC5 and Michelin XM2. Continental was not available at my dealer and XM2 was a bit pricey. So went with the Yokos.

Initial experience with the Earth 1 is awesome. They offer great value for the money spent. I can notice reduction in the tyre noise & vibration when compared to my old rubber. I also like the design pattern on them .

Unfortunately my current setup is having an issue. During the installation we found that my steel rims are rusted on the inner side which can result in air leak if used with tubeless tyres. Thanks to the Saturday evening! I couldn't source a new set of rims as the nearest MS showroom didn't have stock and another MGP outlet was closed already. So I'm currently using my existing tubes with the new tyres. I have to quickly find a new set of wheels this week and get rid of those old tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-rear.jpg  

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-side.jpg  

dennisjs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 07:00   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjs View Post
Thanks to the Saturday evening! I couldn't source a new set of rims as the nearest MS showroom didn't have stock and another MGP outlet was closed already.
Congrats for your purchase. Yoko Earth 1 are great tyres.

I think you should try big alloy wheel shops in your city to buy a set of original steel rims. You will save a lot of money. Many people get their brand new steel wheels+tyres changed to alloys+wider/better tyres immediately after buying a new car.

In NCR, we get a brand new set (4 Nos.) of 14"-15" steel wheels for Rs.1800-2000. 13" should be lesser or same.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 11th March 2019 at 07:03.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:25   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
What did you switch to?
I got MRF ZLX. From my experience of about 100 kms, they are quieter and more plush than the Earth 1s. However I feel the Earth 1s had better grip. I can comment after few more days.

You can find the details here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-wagonr-9.html
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 10:34   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Congrats for your purchase. Yoko Earth 1 are great tyres.

I think you should try big alloy wheel shops in your city to buy a set of original steel rims. You will save a lot of money. Many people get their brand new steel wheels+tyres changed to alloys+wider/better tyres immediately after buying a new car.

In NCR, we get a brand new set (4 Nos.) of 14"-15" steel wheels for Rs.1800-2000. 13" should be lesser or same.
This can be risky as its not just new rims but old rims too that the dealer can have. All a old steel rim requires is a repaint and even 6 year old rims can look very new.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:37   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
This can be risky as its not just new rims but old rims too that the dealer can have. All a old steel rim requires is a repaint and even 6 year old rims can look very new.
You just need to find a good shop with lots of volume. You might get a set which is being removed from a brand new car in front of your eyes. Or a shop with a reference.
Old 11th March 2019, 21:53   #521

Thanks for your valuable inputs mukeshgoel & Mr. Nobody. I have a query here. Should I go for rims made for WagonR itself? Or any 13 inch wheel with 4 bolts (like Santro/Eon) will be direct fit for my car?
Old 13th March 2019, 10:13   #522
Team-BHP Support

I had the Earth-1's for 5 years and almost 40K kms. The tyres were the most durable tyres I've used.

Even with so much running they had 50% of the tread depth left in them. However these tyres are not meant for comfort. Over time they become hard and ride quality suffers. Which is what happened with me.

I had 20K kms of life in them but the ride was uncomfortable and road noise had gone up.

I got them changed to a set of Michelin XM2 and the difference is massive. It feels like the car got a new softer suspension with added damping!

If you want a durable set of tyres with the longest life, get the Earth-1. There's nothing better. If you want comfort stick to Michelin or Continental CC5.

Since the corolla was running an Innova size (205/65-15). I was able to exchange them with a happy Innova cab driver with decent buy back.

In 5 years I got maybe 2 punctures, no sidewall damage, no tread pieces coming off. Longevity and durability for our roads is unmatched. The sidewall has an additional belt that makes the tyre look damn beefy on the car vs the XM2.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 15:42   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you want a durable set of tyres with the longest life, get the Earth-1. There's nothing better. If you want comfort stick to Michelin or Continental CC5.
+1.

While the Earth-1 holds nicely and offers longevity, I cannot bear the ride quality. Before Earth-1, used the Apollo 3G and it offers good comfort in my Xcent. But it only lasted 30k kms.

The moment I changed it to Earth-1 I can see clearly this is not the tyre meant for comfort and road noise is higher compared to older ones. But the wet grip is superior and composure in high speed is improved but by sacrificing the comfort. I believe XM2 can be good with road grip, comfort at the cost of longevity which is okay with me.

Going to go with XM2 or other tyres to retain the lost comfort.
xcentrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:39   #524
BHPian

An update on Earth-1, Three years and eight months after installation on Polo Petrol 1.2. (Original post on that here). Mileage - 14,000 km.

On Feb 08 this year I had the first puncture, rear right wheel. It seemed to be a metal piece piecing the tread. I took the tyre to Minku Agarwal of IndoRadial, who suggested I repair it. He arranged the repair from someone near his shop, I have since been using the car with no problems (yet).

Images of the Puncture

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20190208_144941.jpg
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20190208_164257.jpg

Yesterday (April 01) while starting from home I heard a sound of escaping air and soon enough there was a flat on the front left wheel. I suspect it happened due to the tyre scraping the road shoulder. Again, I took it to IndoRadial where Minku said it could be repaired but I decided to replace the tyre.

Image of the Second puncture

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20190401_165850.jpg

I'm not sure why the punctures happened so close to each other - bad luck, bad timing or tyre issues. The only silver lining is that I have learned to change the Polo wheel in 20 minutes, using the un-ergonomic and awkward wheel jack supplied.

Last edited by Kumar R : 2nd April 2019 at 09:45.
Kumar R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:20   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Image of the Second puncture

Attachment 1864784
Welcome to Earth-1, a tyre that I first recommended to people, and thereafter withdrew the recommendation based on sidewall damage incidents . Please refer post #434 in the following link

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4335261 (Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India))
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks