Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 15:13   #121
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Tyre guru's need your advice.

Is this is the way tyre replacement done on warranty period? Any idea on how much they will charge?
Ok got the Tyre replaced on Warranty, but charged 1,100/- for the new tyre, They said 25% wear on the replaced tyre and on pro rata basis i was charged 1,100/- for the new tyre. (Newer one costing 4400/-). Have driven only ~4k kms and < 6 months old.

Is this is not 100% manufacturing defect? Cos the tyre shop person told me that the Tyre company gave this warranty replacement on Goodwill. Since the tyre was fine for the first few refills, chances of external impact only causes this thin pin size hole.

I couldn't accept the above, anyways lost 1100/- for no fault of mine.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 15:24   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok got the Tyre replaced on Warranty, but charged 1,100/- for the new tyre, They said 25% wear on the replaced tyre and on pro rata basis i was charged 1,100/- for the new tyre. (Newer one costing 4400/-). Have driven only ~4k kms and < 6 months old.

Is this is not 100% manufacturing defect? Cos the tyre shop person told me that the Tyre company gave this warranty replacement on Goodwill. Since the tyre was fine for the first few refills, chances of external impact only causes this thin pin size hole.

I couldn't accept the above, anyways lost 1100/- for no fault of mine.
You should be lucky in getting the replacement by paying only 1k. My MRF sidewall cracked while going over a medium sized pothole (absolutely no side impacts). Car had clocked only a few hundred kms and was 7 days old. They declined the replacement claim and said only defects to the contact area is covered under warranty. Sidewall defects are not covered (atleast for MRF). Had to fight a lot (visited Ford and MRF office, emails, phone calls). Then realized it's pointless, got a new tyre and of course not MRF. So I consider that you are lucky IMO.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 15:48   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
You should be lucky in getting the replacement by paying only 1k. My MRF sidewall cracked while going over a medium sized pothole (absolutely no side impacts). Car had clocked only a few hundred kms and was 7 days old. They declined the replacement claim and said only defects to the contact area is covered under warranty. Sidewall defects are not covered (atleast for MRF). Had to fight a lot (visited Ford and MRF office, emails, phone calls). Then realized it's pointless, got a new tyre and of course not MRF. So I consider that you are lucky IMO.
In your case, the tyre ran over a pothole and it might cause an impact.
For me i don't know what causes the leak. It losses pressure very slowly. 10 psi after couple of weeks time. If you see the picture attached in one of my previous post, you can see where the leak was.

In my case too, the Tyre company tried to check for any visual impact on the tyre before approving warranty. They couldn't find any. If there was anything im sure they could have declined mine too.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 10:11   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Ok got the Tyre replaced on Warranty, but charged 1,100/- for the new tyre, They said 25% wear on the replaced tyre and on pro rata basis i was charged 1,100/- for the new tyre. (Newer one costing 4400/-). Have driven only ~4k kms..
25% tyre wear in just 4k Km? That means the company claims that the tyre would have lasted only for 16k Km?
Not expected from a premium brand like yokohama.
Old 16th August 2014, 11:12   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
25% tyre wear in just 4k Km? That means the company claims that the tyre would have lasted only for 16k Km?
Not expected from a premium brand like yokohama.

I was told that tyre life is considered to be 20K Kms when I got my tyre replaced under warranty. This is for Bridgestone and I think it's same for Michelin. My tyres had run between 4K & 5K Kms and depreciation was 25%. I guess they round it off to the nearest quarter. Not sure. Just my guess.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 17:18   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Me facing a leak at sidewall on relatively new yokohama earth1 tyre. I have been checking air pressure at the same shop where I bought the tyre and for the last two times front left tyre seems to loose pressure faster. Today after a detail check found a very small leak at sidewall. The tyre shop guy told me that he needs to show the tyre to company person to check for warranty claim. I believe they will replace it on warranty since it's sure a manufacturing defect it seems.
Just noticed a flat tyre today. On taking to the puncture guy, he showed me a side wall crack! I do not recall any recent impacts that would have caused this. I called up the tyre shop (Cherry Agencies, BTM layout), he asked me to bring the tyre in. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20140819_163723.jpg  

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20140819_163735.jpg  

Old 19th August 2014, 17:50   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Just noticed a flat tyre today. On taking to the puncture guy, he showed me a side wall crack! I do not recall any recent impacts that would have caused this. I called up the tyre shop (Cherry Agencies, BTM layout), he asked me to bring the tyre in. Fingers crossed.
Auch!!.. Seems like something pierced through and it can be termed as "external impact".

Now i'am little worried about the life of Yoko Earth 1. Seems its prone to sidewall damages.

How much KMs you have clocked so far with this tyre?
Old 19th August 2014, 17:54   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Auch!!.. Seems like something pierced through and it can be termed as "external impact".

Now i'am little worried about the life of Yoko Earth 1. Seems its prone to sidewall damages.

How much KMs you have clocked so far with this tyre?
It should be just below 2000 Kms on the new tyres.
Yes, Even I am worried on the life of these tyres now.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:12   #129
BHPian

Just got Earth 1 for the Innova. Standard sized 205. 23K in Mangalore including VAT for 4 pieces.

First impressions are good. The steering feels lighter and more firm. Road noise is very limited, with windows down. The drive was a mix of good and bad roads including 15km of firm mud road. I am told by the dealer that 35psi is the ideal pressure!.

This is just a 70km review. Hope the marketing mileage of 50k is achieved.

Thank you

Cheers
Old 24th August 2014, 20:29   #130
BHPian

Re: Yokohama launching Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Upsized my 40k run stock Bridgestone 175/65 R14 to Earth 1 185/65 R14 on my Vista QJD. The ride has become very silent on tar roads and car feels more planted. Done around 500 kms on my daily drive. Compared to stock tyres, they are definitely better!

Have put up a few pics in the Mumbai Directory 'Premji' thread.
Hi Maverick, Was happy to see your post as it was just what i was searching for. It has been almost 8 months since your fitment of Earth1 s. Any comments? I ask this cause the Apollos on my Vista Tdi have touched 65k and are at the 'overdue threshold' of replacement. The Tyre dealer suggested a similar up-size. I intend changing the tyres in a couple of days. A quick response would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
boohooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 09:14   #131
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yokohama launching Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
Hi Maverick, Was happy to see your post as it was just what i was searching for. It has been almost 8 months since your fitment of Earth1 s. Any comments? I ask this cause the Apollos on my Vista Tdi have touched 65k and are at the 'overdue threshold' of replacement. The Tyre dealer suggested a similar up-size. I intend changing the tyres in a couple of days. A quick response would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey boohooper, done almost 12k kms on the earth1's and the performance is excellent. The impact of upsize on the fuel economy is barely noticeable. Major improvements would be the road noise and comfort along with grip. On tar roads the car simply glides, so would definitely recommend the earth1's!
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 09:55   #132
BHPian

Are they any better over the S Drives? Looking for options in 205/55/15 for my city!

Last edited by crackparag : 26th August 2014 at 09:56.
Old 28th August 2014, 18:50   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

EArth 1 is not available in 205/55-15. You have only the S Drives and ZLOs as options.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 18:24   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
EArth 1 is not available in 205/55-15. You have only the S Drives and ZLOs as options.
Nihkil, do you have a list of sizes the Earth 1 is now available in. I am seeing them on a lot of cars but am not able to recommend them to others as the sizes available are not listed anywhere.

Even the Yokohama website still only mentions 2 sizes and I know it's available in more now.
Old 5th October 2014, 12:48   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nihkil, do you have a list of sizes the Earth 1 is now available in. I am seeing them on a lot of cars but am not able to recommend them to others as the sizes available are not listed anywhere.

Even the Yokohama website still only mentions 2 sizes and I know it's available in more now.
Vid6639,
Below is a link to a PDF with all info pertaining to Yokohama's operations in Asia (including India). Although specific availability may still have to be verified, it is a very handy document nonetheless:

Yokohama Tires - 2013 Passenger Car Tire Catalogue - Oceania

Ref Page 36 of the document.

Last edited by bharatsomany : 5th October 2014 at 12:54.
bharatsomany is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks