Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 15:11   #196
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
From where did you buy it? Need to buy for my swift too.
Bought it from T-Mart on Sohna road. It is near the Hyundai dealer on Sohna road ( coming from delhi, take exit 10 and get on to Sohna road from Rajiv Chowk, the T-mart shop is on the left side only)
Faramir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 02:24   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

For the past few months i was contemplating to change all the four tyre's of my Etios. It came with 175/65/R14 Goodyear's.

The first confusion was whether to go for the Michelin Xm2 or the Yokohama Eath1. After a bit of research i zeroed on the Earth 1 just for its tougher side walls over the xm2.

Now the second confusion was whether to up-size or not. The new Etios came up with 185/60/R15. But i was in no mood to change the rims. So the confusion was between 185/60/R14 & 185/65/R14. With 185/60/R14 the ground clearance will come down by further 2mm which i never wanted and with the 185/65/R14 the ground clearance will go up by 6mm. In new Etios the ground clearance is 174mm and mine is 170mm as its the old model. So if i go with 185/65/R14 the ground clearance of my car will be 176mm. Now the question was will the extra 6mm affect the high speed dynamics or not. After much thinking i thought it should be compensated by the extra width. So at last finalized the 185/65/R14.

The deal and the shop-

Shop name- Indo-Radial.

Price and the freebies- Paid rs 18,500 for the four new tyres. Got 1,000 rs cash back for my 43,000kms old Goodyear's. Wheel alignment and wheel balancing were done free of cost. Plus i got a coupon to fill up free nitrogen for all the four tyres with in the next two months. Plus going by the Yokohama offer, got the Tropicool electronic tyre inflator free.

Few observation's-

1) Looks! Yes it enhances the looks of the car and after up-sizing the over all stance has also improved.

2) As of now the tyre's are more silent than my previous set of tyre's. But its not remarkably silent. I some how feel the tyre noise will increase with more kilometers

3) The braking has improved.

4) Due to the up-size the ride is now more poised and comfortable, the steering got heavier which i am liking more on the highways but there is a slight / negligible drop in the pick up. Plus it has minutely affected the turning radius. The garage where i park my car needs to be put in with exact precision or else the car will hit the wall. After the tyre change i feel the car needs a bit more space than earlier. Where it used to get in with one reverse now i need to reverse twice!

5) Due to up-size the speedometer error increased a bit. When the speedometer is about to touch 100km/hr or say its showing around 98km/hr the gps is already showing that the car is cruising at 100km/hr.

6) At first i felt the vertical movement of the car has increased a bit at triple digit speeds due to the extra 6mm height but again on taking sharp turns or sharp corners i feel the car to be more poised and certainly the handling has improved.

7) After driving on some bad roads i found quite a few small stone's to be stuck on the tyres!

8)The grip on wet road is really good.

9) As of now i am yet to fill Nitrogen. After a spirited 60kms drive i found the tyre temperature to be less compared to my earlier tyres with same PSI of air (32psi).

10) Over all am satisfied with the new set of tyres. If one expects that Earth 1 will change the characteristics of his normal car to a sports car then he needs to look elsewhere. Yes it will improve the handling and comfort but to a certain extent and Yokohama demands a greater tyre life for the Earth1. Now only time can confirm that!

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-desktop.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 20th May 2015 at 02:50.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 13:03   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

The deal and the shop-

Shop name- Indo-Radial.

Price and the freebies- Paid rs 18,500 for the four new tyres. Got 1,000 rs cash back for my 43,000kms old Goodyear's. Wheel alignment and wheel balancing were done free of cost. Plus i got a coupon to fill up free nitrogen for all the four tyres with in the next two months. Plus going by the Yokohama offer, got the Tropicool electronic tyre inflator free.
Congratulation on your purchase !! May the new footwear last you thousands of miles on your ETIOS and give you a comfortably satisfying driving experience.

Really a Deal from Indo Radial Club must say

Suggest you to change the Spare Wheel to the same specs on ASAP basis as in case of a front wheel puncture, the 175/65 R14 may spoil the drive in tandem with the 185/65 R14.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 12:28   #199
BHPian

I too got Yoko Earth1 185/65R14 for my petra recently, paid 17000 Rs for a set of + Free inflator, probably a couple of hundreds for steel valves. The ride is good, road noise feels equal to or even better than Michelin XM1+.

Seem very good VFM and well suited to our roads.
Old 30th May 2015, 22:38   #200
BHPian

I replaced yoko A-drives 185/70 r14 on my 2012 Swift VDi with Yoko Earth 1 of the same size on 23 May.

My inferences are mostly with comparison to A-drives as i have extensive used only A-drives since last 5 years on all my family cars. Most dealers in surat were of the opinion that a-drive production has been stopped and had only 2014 stock which i didn't want. A-drives weren't in any condition to reach Mumbai safely so didn't risk it. Earth1 which i got were manufactured in 16th week of 2015.

I was left with only xm2 and earth1 as options. Main reason for going for Earth1 was the early experience with Yoko, having already used up 5 sets of A-drives and never regretted it . Didn't get any precise comparison between A-drives and Earth1 nor any negative reviews of Earth1 series.

After 1400kms i feel Earth1 are extremely silent. Ride has got softer. No improvement in handling and braking feel. Rather braking feel seems to have lost abit of bite that was there earlier, nothing alarming but its there. On heavy braking or heavy acceleration tires do make a bit of screeching noise which wasn't the the case earlier.

Overall would rate Earth 1 as value for money tires, period, but would go for either C-drives or Xm2 for my next change. Earth1 are not for performance oriented. Earth 1 are more inclined towards ride comfort and longevity.
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:57   #201
BHPian

Hey guys
It's been a long while since I have posted on my favourite forum.
I have a Figo titanium diesel, that has run 25k in 17 months. It came with goodyear gt3 and boy, what horrible tyres they are, I have experienced tyre burst when the car was only a week old and innumerable punctures. Having said that, I do drive on horrible roads or should I say we have horrible roads in Guwahati, where I am currently based at.
Highways are excellent here so no complaints.
In 25 K the tyre tread is gone from original to 4.5 mm, don't no how. No uneven wear though.
I am contemplating tyre change and almost everyone, I mean the tyre shops are pushing for contis.
But I am trying to chose between earth 1 and xm2.
My needs are
1) excellent grip, wet and dry as gt3 have a tendency to aquaplane.
2) comfort and silence
3) tougher side walls
In this order.
What should I do??

Here is how she looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20141028_145148_1433319954186.jpg  

Old 4th June 2015, 15:07   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Bharat ---- .
sorry to blank quote you nikhil sir, but please help me out here.
please check my post above for my requirements.
Budget is not a constraint.

thanks.
Old 4th June 2015, 15:17   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post

My needs are
2) comfort and silence
3) tougher side walls
In this order.
What should I do??
Honestly you can opt for either. First two aspects would be more or less same but #3, Yokos have tougher side walls especially considering Earth 1 is specifically designed for Indian road conditions.

Using Earth 1 on my Altis and pretty satisfied with them.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 15:32   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Honestly you can opt for either. First two aspects would be more or less same but #3, Yokos have tougher side walls especially considering Earth 1 is specifically designed for Indian road conditions.

Using Earth 1 on my Altis and pretty satisfied with them.
Thanks Ashton, I have had brilliant experience with XM2's .
Had them on my Getz before selling her off, and drove from bangalore to Guwahati without a single puncture and issue.
A little skeptical on Earth 1, only judging by its price but would love to get c drives and upsize to 185/65 r 14
Old 4th June 2015, 17:33   #205
BANNED

Quote:
My needs are
2) comfort and silence
3) tougher side walls
In this order.
What should I do??
Look at Bridgestone AR20.

Have heard good reviews for this tyre too. XM2 are softer tyres making them last less and slightly more prone to punctures.
Old 4th June 2015, 17:41   #206
BHPian

Quote:
2) comfort and silence
3) tougher side walls
In this order.
What should I do??
The grip levels are pretty good in Earth-1 but the tyres get noisier with time. I have had them for about 22k kms and tyre noise has increased gradually with the mileage.
Old 4th June 2015, 17:55   #207
BHPian

Quote:
A little skeptical on Earth 1, only judging by its price but would love to get c drives and upsize to 185/65 r 14
Earth 1 is cheaper compared to michelin's for the following reasons :

1. Michelin's are still imported from China , so duties + transport cost
2. Earth 1 is manufactured in India so it negates the above 2 costs plus I think they may have got some sort of tax holiday from the NCR authority which is being passed on in some part to the consumer.
Old 5th June 2015, 01:48   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Hey blurust !!

Considering your vehicle is still 17 months old, I think you should consider the warranty point of view. Upsizing may void the warranty of your vehicle considering the standard warranty being of 24 months on the Figo. So, suggest to keep that in mind before taking the final decision on your new purchase.

I am also a Figo owner and am using the Earth 1's ever since i bought my car with stock size of 175/65 R14. It will complete 1 year in the next month and is doing very fine with over 12000 kms on the Odo. Attaching a pic here for you :
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-_mg_0263.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 06:21   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Hey blurust !!
Upsizing may void the warranty
Hey, AJ. You are right, I want to upsize but I don't want to,
I went to the tyre store the other day, picked up 175 and 185 section tyres just to check the weight, and boy 185/65 is much heavier, which I thought might affect suspension at a later date and so dropped the idea of upsizing.
Not really into mods anyway, I like my car stock. Was thinking of upsizing only to get my hands on c drive but nobody has it here. Plus I understand from the reviews they have softer side walls.

Coming to earth 1, please tell me how's the wet grip??
Also I am planning to do Guwahati - Delhi - Guwahati in July so looking for something that will be as strong and stable as Figo

PS. - I love your alloys.

Last edited by blurust : 5th June 2015 at 06:22.
Old 5th June 2015, 07:12   #210
BHPian

Quote:

Coming to earth 1, please tell me how's the wet grip??
Also I am planning to do Guwahati - Delhi - Guwahati in July so looking for something that will be as strong and stable as Figo

PS. - I love your alloys.
Wet grip is good. I definitely felt that aquaplaning has reduced. I am running on 185/65
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks