Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 10:40   #211
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
But I am trying to chose between earth 1 and xm2.
My needs are
1) excellent grip, wet and dry as gt3 have a tendency to aquaplane.
2) comfort and silence
3) tougher side walls
In this order.
What should I do??
You might want to consider an upsize to 185/65 R14. I've done that and the grip levels and handling is much improved. I moved from the stock MRFs to Yoko C-Drives and feel it's a really balanced tire when it comes to performance and comfort. Its been almost 30K kms now since i've moved and have only had 2 punctures so far. Pretty solid tyre i should say!

Last edited by jayded : 5th June 2015 at 10:42.
Old 5th June 2015, 11:01   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
I do drive on horrible roads or should I say we have horrible roads in Guwahati, where I am currently based at.
Highways are excellent here so no complaints.
In 25 K the tyre tread is gone from original to 4.5 mm, don't no how. No uneven wear though.
I am contemplating tyre change and almost everyone, I mean the tyre shops are pushing for contis.
But I am trying to chose between earth 1 and xm2.
My needs are
1) excellent grip, wet and dry as gt3 have a tendency to aquaplane.
2) comfort and silence
3) tougher side walls
In this order.
What should I do??

Here is how she looks like
Very well maintained car it is!

Coming to your queries, my suggestions are as follows:
  1. MRF ZLO, XM2, Earth 1 (all in order of preference)
  2. XM2, ZLO, Earth 1
  3. Earth 1, XM2=ZLO
I suggest you go with XM2 as it meets most of your criteria. Earth 1 only exceeds in tougher side walls but I think XM2 sidewalls are not bad either.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 11:27   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
You might want to consider an upsize to 185/65 R14. I've done that and the grip levels and handling is much improved. I moved from the stock MRFs to Yoko C-Drives and feel it's a really balanced tire when it comes to performance and comfort. Its been almost 30K kms now since i've moved and have only had 2 punctures so far. Pretty solid tyre i should say!
Oh how i wish, I would love to get c drives, but i think they are out of production now...i cant find a recently manufactured c drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Wet grip is good. I definitely felt that aquaplaning has reduced. I am running on 185/65
thanks glenmz, I would definitely consider earth 1, but probably wont upsize...i dont really have a problem with ground clearance as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Very well maintained car it is!

Coming to your queries, my suggestions are as follows:
  1. MRF ZLO, XM2, Earth 1 (all in order of preference)
  2. XM2, ZLO, Earth 1
  3. Earth 1, XM2=ZLO
I suggest you go with XM2 as it meets most of your criteria. Earth 1 only exceeds in tougher side walls but I think XM2 sidewalls are not bad either.
Thanks sourabh, I would have loved to go with zlo, but only 195/60/ r 14 is available.
My gut says xm2 all the way, have had brilliant experience with it..

Also looking at bridgestone AR20
Old 5th June 2015, 21:45   #214
BHPian

After reading so much positive feedback about earth 1, I went ahead and got a set installed on my etios today.

I am 100% returning these tires tomorrow and getting xm2 again. I have used 4 sets of xm2 tires on different cars and never ever had any issue during those 2lakh ish kms. The yoko earth maybe a decent tire but it is absolutely no comparison for the smooth steering and super low tire noise that the xm2 offers.

The earth is surely harder, significantly less grippier and as loud as my 65k km old Goodyear's that came with the car. Yoko earth behaves more like ceat milaze.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 14:25   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
The earth is surely harder, significantly less grippier and as loud as my 65k km old Goodyear's that came with the car. Yoko earth behaves more like ceat milaze.
I haven't used XM2. But above comments on Earth1 was different for me. I have ridden 5K km after installation. They are very silent tyres with super road grip. May be you had bad tyres. They get better with mileage.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 19:36   #216
ksm

I had JK Tornados on my Ritz VDi for 5 years and done 88,000 KM without a problem.
In spite of all the negative publicity on JK Tornados from different dealers I wanted to buy the same based on my personal experience, however I do not have a dealer nearby who sells the same tires. Now I am planning to replace them with Yoko Earth 1. Please suggest if there are better alternatives?
Old 13th June 2015, 23:42   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm View Post
I had JK Tornados on my Ritz VDi for 5 years and done 88,000 KM without a problem.
That's great miles converted on those JK's.

It isn't the question of distance that one the lasts on a car but it is the grip, secure feel that it gives to the one who is behind the wheel.

Moreover in 5 years and 88K kms the rubber would have become hard and more prone to tyre bursts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm View Post
In spite of all the negative publicity on JK Tornados from different dealers I wanted to buy the same based on my personal experience, however I do not have a dealer nearby who sells the same tires.
Any specific requirements for the new tyre that you are looking for? That would help us narrow down on the choices.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th June 2015 at 23:44.
Old 14th June 2015, 23:42   #218
BHPian

Got a new set of Yokohama Earth 1's for my City. I upsized the tyre from stock 175/65 to 195/60 using the stock alloys. My experiences are mixed and here they are

a. The road noise is surely better than MRF ZVTVs that the car came with, if not very silent like Michelins.

b. Rubber is hard + tough and looks like it will last for a while. I usually change between 35000 and 40000 KMS.

c. The stance of the car is better, but stock alloys don't really gel with this tyre in terms of look, atleast not to my liking. Will post a picture tomorrow or later

d. The steering felt much lighter. I was expecting this, but wasn't too sure due to the upsizing.

e. Ride comfort over smaller rough patches is now superior. For deeper pot holes, I hear the "thud" sound fairly audibly. I guess the tyre pressure is playing a role here. Since I upsized, I am not 100% sure what is the correct pressure to maintain. Currently on 33 PSI, where as Honda recommends 32(front) and 30 (rear) for stock tyres. Anyone can confirm if the pressure is correct or has better advice for me?

f. Paid 4550 per tyre including nitro top up, fitting, balancing and alignment check. Got it done at Mobiles Tyre Tech (Run by Mr. Prithvi Domnic) and I am quite satisfied with the experience. Got everything done under 30 minutes. Alignment was good since it was checked only a week ago.

g. Normal braking seems to be unchanged, atleast I didn't feel a whole lot of change. That's probably because my car recently got serviced at Vision Honda, Thrissur and those guys did a splendid/awesome job. Not only did they resolve all the complaints I had (which whitefield Honda could never fix), but they also brought the car to almost as if it was just out of the factory! Emergency braking seems to have improved a lot, although didn't test more than twice.

h. I don't know if this improved ground clearance. I haven't scraped any speed breakers and the front mud flaps surely touch over some of them. In my calculations, the "soft" GC should have improved by 3mm or so, but as I said in another thread, upsizing the tyre does nothing much to the GC, unless the suspension is changed to a firmer one.

All in all I feel Earth 1 tyres are better. But it's a new broom and thus should sweep clean. I'll reserve any other comments for later.

Things left to test during this weekend trip:

a. Tyre noise on highway.

b. Travelling through rainy Kerala, its a good time to test wet grip.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th July 2015 at 15:47. Reason: Spacing for better readability
sudeepg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 10:58   #219
ksm

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That's great miles converted on those JK's.
I am looking for better grip and good mileage. This is the only criteria. I do not want to make it very expensive either.

Last edited by ampere : 15th June 2015 at 10:59. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post. Please keep quoted post to minimum possible
Old 16th June 2015, 15:53   #220

I have used XM2 for more than 50K kms on my Figo. I have been planning to change tyres for a month now, and after reading through this thread I got the Earth 1 yesterday. No complaints about XM2, but I thought I need a change. Initial observations - I find it more silent than XM2; it seems smoother on bumpy roads. I'm doing a BLR- CHN round trip this weekend and will have more feedback then.
Old 18th June 2015, 17:19   #221
BHPian

Does Earth-1 tyres come in 165/65 R14 or 175/60 R14 sizes?

I have a WagonR(K10) vxi which came with a stock 155/65/R14 size apollo acceleres. Now after five years and 24k kms these tyres are nearing its life-term.

On a quick search on tyre upsize, i found that there are too less options available for this particular model waggy. The above said options are the ones that comes close to the stock size, and then came the second problem, i couldnt find these particular sizes in any of the (better)tyre brand's website.

but in this particular thread i found that earth 1's come in much more sizes than which are specified on their webpage.
Can somebody throw some light here?
Old 18th June 2015, 19:08   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Does Earth-1 tyres come in 165/65 R14 or 175/60 R14 sizes?
Earth - 1 do come in size 165/65 R14. I recently changed my beat diesel tyres to these, a month back. But this particular size of earth -1, is not listed in any online websites, including yokohama's own india website.
Old 19th June 2015, 16:04   #223
BHPian

Here are the updated sizes available in Earth one and even the S-Drive now being made in India. E400 stands for Earth One.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-fullsizerender.jpg  

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-fullsizerender1.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 23:12   #224
BHPian

Hi all,

I have used the Yoko A Drive and C Drive extensively, and have used the Earth 1 for 10K kms too. I am really happy with their noise, grip, and comfort levels. Currently they are on my Octavia, but I will be getting them on my E220 if there is nothing else available in the market by the time it is time to change them.
Old 10th July 2015, 23:52   #225
vdm
BHPian

Hi,
I have just upgraded my tyres for my Ford Fiesta which came with MRF ZVTS 175/70/14 after running it out at 52000 kms to Yoko Earthone. I have upsides it to 185/60/14 & put on new alloys.
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-1436552443938.jpg

Most Viewed