Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 09:01   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
I'm looking at buying Yokohama Earth-1 185/65/R14 for my Figo. Any authorized dealer near Electronics City (Hosur road) Bangalore?
I'm using same spec earth 1s on my 2017 Figo diesel and they are really good. If you are okay to travel till Lalbagh, BHPian Nikhil has his authorised tyre shop there.
Tyre Professionals

No, 60 Kanakpura Road, Basavangudi, Between Sagar Motors and Metlife Building,, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560041, India
+91 80 4169 2117

https://g.co/kgs/1g0YwT
kptraveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 20:20   #407
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Hi guys. Just replaced the tyres of my Honda Brio with Yokohama Earth 1's (175/65 R14). Just look at the condition of the stock Goodyear DP-1's that came with the car. Real testament to how crap OEM tyres really are. 4 years and 36,000 km - almost 50% of tread depth still there but the tyres are bent, cracked and hard as stone. They had also begun to suffer an obscene amount of punctures recently. In the last 6 months they had no grip even on dry surfaces. They locked up and slipped everywhere, exponentially so on concrete roads.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_131714049.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_132304646.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_132311548.jpg

So, I decided to get them replaced this monsoon especially before a trip. No trip on the cards, but it was time; especially with GST and stuff there is only one direction for the prices to progress. I got a smashing deal at Darshan Tyres, Sinhagad road. This place always has the cheapest rates for tyres in Pune. The acclaimed Lokmanya Tyres quoted Rs. 4400 but Darshan had them for just Rs. 3900! Alignment free. With balancing weights and taxes the figure was rounded off to Rs. 16,000. I got just Rs. 500 as buyback for the DP-1s. So total damage - Rs. 15,500. Not bad, I think, for Yokohamas.

I talked to the owner and he said that he always keeps the lowest rate possible to ensure quick turn around. Tyres lying around keeps money tied up and he prefers tyres moving out as soon as they are in stock. I've always got the cheapest rates from him for our other cars and bikes as well. He also always stocks good tyres. Many other tyre places don't have the tyres we enthusiasts want, just generic stuff.

But alignment at his place is a little bit flawed I think. Exact same problem happened with our Ford Fusion (4 years ago) as well as my Brio today. After alignment the steering wheel is not centered properly. Because it had happened earlier, I stayed there to confirm the tech centered it properly, but the problem still occurred. The steering wheel is slightly turned to the left when the car is going straight. It's not perfectly dead centre even though the car is tracking straight and true. I called him and he told me to come back after a few days and get it realigned if required. But I think I'll get it done at Honda. Does anybody know why this might be happening?

Coming to the review of the tyres - Can't really say much. Have barely driven after changing the tyres. But I did notice the steering getting much lighter as everybody has said in this thread. I was expecting it, but not to this extent. The car also feels lighter on its feet and more eager to roll. I'm liking the lighter feel of the car, the steering, not so much. I shall reserve my judgement after I complete 1000 km probably. But I have to say, the tyres don't really look as impressive as I thought they would, not that it has anything to do with performance. I'm sure they will be pretty good is every aspect.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_134353333.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_134650141.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_140117966_hdr.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_181458304.jpg

I have a query. I can't figure out the date of manufacturing. The numbers don't seem to follow the typical 'weeks-year' pattern. The last pic above is the number on my tyres. Can somebody decipher it for me?

Thank you. Cheers!

Last edited by thumpingheart : 5th July 2017 at 20:41. Reason: Photos can't be seen
thumpingheart is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 20:58   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Few of my friends have got these earth 1 tires but none of them are satisfied. Too much wear, bulges, belt cuts.

Tires purchased were in 14" & 15". Cars - Swift ZDi, Indigo Marina, i20.

The Geolanders are doing fine BTW. Strange..
Times have changed. They were apparently the initial batches of Earth 1. Nowadays, few friends have done over 10,000 kms on their swifts/i20's with the Yokohama Earth 1 and the tires are holding up brilliantly.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 11:52   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Times have changed. They were apparently the initial batches of Earth 1. Nowadays, few friends have done over 10,000 kms on their swifts/i20's with the Yokohama Earth 1 and the tires are holding up brilliantly.
The Yokohama Earth 1 was launched in late 2013. My 2014 Figo TDCi is nearing 3 years and the 50,000Kms mark and it has been running on Yokohama Earth 1 ever since I bought the car as I got the stock tyres replaced immediately after purchase. It has been holding up pretty well with literally nothing negative to comment about. I feel it has another 5000+ Kms left on them or may be even more.

Must say that I was one of the first few to have opted for the Yoko Earth 1 earlier in 2014 without much deliberation. I doubt whether there were any issues with the initial batches as stated by you or may be I was just too lucky
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:02   #410
Senior - BHPian

I changed all the four tyres on my Mitsubishi Lancer to Yokohoma Earth 1 after doing extensive research for about 3 months. My older tyres were Bridgestone Turanza and a Stepney MRF ZVTS. The tyres had become extremely hard and lost their shape due to time and regular wear and tear.

I shortlisted everything from Ceat to Apollo to MRF to Michelin to Bridgestone. I found Yokohama to be the best for my usage pattern as well as my pocket. Since the day I have fitted them about 1 month back I have only positive things to say about the tyres. The tyres have made the steering feel butter smooth and light besides improving my ride quality as well. Since its raining I tested it on water logged roads and found its performance satisfactory. They are reasonably silent on the highways too and I no longer need to pump up the volume of my car stereo. Overall a to Yokohama Earth 1.

I will keep posting my experiences with them as years/kms pass.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 20th July 2017 at 11:03.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 20:00   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I changed all the four tyres on my Mitsubishi Lancer to Yokohoma Earth 1 after doing extensive research for about 3 months. My older tyres were Bridgestone Turanza and a Stepney MRF ZVTS. The tyres had become extremely hard and lost their shape due to time and regular wear and tear.

I shortlisted everything from Ceat to Apollo to MRF to Michelin to Bridgestone. I found Yokohama to be the best for my usage pattern as well as my pocket. Since the day I have fitted them about 1 month back I have only positive things to say about the tyres. The tyres have made the steering feel butter smooth and light besides improving my ride quality as well. Since its raining I tested it on water logged roads and found its performance satisfactory. They are reasonably silent on the highways too and I no longer need to pump up the volume of my car stereo. Overall a to Yokohama Earth 1.

I will keep posting my experiences with them as years/kms pass.
Hey Navin.
What size tyres are you running. How many kms till now? Is the steering still felt light.
Old 18th September 2017, 10:52   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Hey Navin.
What size tyres are you running. How many kms till now? Is the steering still felt light.
Hello mate, I have been having these tyres since 3 months now. The tyre size I fitted was Mitsubishi OEM recommended 185/60 R14 although one can also fit 185/65 R14 but I am a sucker for factory recommendations .

The steering still feels the same light, smooth and buttery.
Old 23rd September 2017, 19:09   #413
BHPian

Can any one tell the price of earth 1 of size 205/55/R16. Just enquired with the local dealer. Quoting 7400/- each. Is it OK? I have not at all bargained yet.
Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 12:13   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

I had swapped my S-Cross 1.6 with my tuners Polo GT TDI for a day. The stock tyres were fully bald in that Polo. Rajiv agreed to change tyres and give me the car We took the car to Madhus Mysore and changed all 4 tyres with Earth-1, stock size : 185/60 R15. The cost was 4900 rs / tyre. It was good improvement. I found these tyres better than Alnac 4g in my Baleno. We were in a hurry and I couldn't click any pics of the tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20171007_162715.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 16:46   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I had swapped my S-Cross 1.6 with my tuners Polo GT TDI for a day. The stock tyres were fully bald in that Polo. Rajiv agreed to change tyres and give me the car We took the car to Madhus Mysore and changed all 4 tyres with Earth-1, stock size : 185/60 R15. The cost was 4900 rs / tyre. It was good improvement. I found these tyres better than Alnac 4g in my Baleno. We were in a hurry and I couldn't click any pics of the tyres.
Is INR 4900 inclusive of GST? and if the tyres are manufactured before GST era should it be exempted from GST?
Old 31st October 2017, 20:14   #416
BHPian

I Bought new earth 1 tyres ( 195/60 R15 ) in June. These tyres have run just 6k kms.

Some rubber has chipped off the tread. and also there is a small cut beside it.

Is it safe to continue using it? Can warranty be claimed for this?

Can it be repaired? The dealer from whom i bought the tyres says that there is no problem with this and can be repaired.

Please suggest what needs to be done. I have not connected with Yokohama as of now.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-whatsapp-image-20171031-19.55.54.jpeg  

Old 31st October 2017, 21:52   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Just ignore and keep driving. It looks perfectly safe. It must have hit a stone or glass piece and got torn off.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 15:25   #418
BHPian

I have bought Yoko Earth1 195/60/15 for my Punto 90HP, previous set was Apollo Accelere.

I have driven 37K kms with Apollos and 17K with Yokos.

- Bumps and Squeaks won't bother you, if you are above 80Kmph.
- Good tread wear
- Less Noise

Dislikes:
- Earth1 has multi-personality-disorder , when tyres are cold, drive will be supple, soaking up all bumps, rubble and potholes. Once they get warmed up, you will get to know every rock that your car rolls over. Basically when you take elderly or a sensitive-patient to a hospital on Banglaore roads, they will be fine when you are taking them to hospital, but in return-home they will be pissed (huh my experience)
- Earth1 Floats, yes, it does. Punto is well known for its dynamics, you can take a corner at unprecedented speeds period! Apollos did an excellent job in helping the car just to do that! Well Yokos will give you a feel like, the car is floating and there's a disconnect with your input and the car, very unlike Punto!
- Gathers as many small stones as it can in the grooves and they stay there for some time.
- Missing my Punto specific steering precision, point to a spot, and Apollos just used to put me there, with Yokos, it's always guessing (like parking few inches away from footpath/divider in first attempt).

We get what we pay for, Earth1 is not a P3ST. If you can live with above go for them.
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:12   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1512189344.198551.jpg
17 months and 20k kms since I am using Earth-1s on my WagonR. While the tyres have aged well, I saw the first crack on one of them. The good part is the crack is on the thread block and there's no air loss.
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:31   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Attachment 1701428
17 months and 20k kms since I am using Earth-1s on my WagonR. While the tyres have aged well, I saw the first crack on one of them. The good part is the crack is on the thread

block and there's no air loss.
Too early to crack up at 20k/ 17 months. How old were the tires when you bought them?
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed