Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2018, 23:45   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

I drive a Civic with Yoko C drive tyres. I liked their superb grip and handling in rain. Unfortunately i seem to have had uneven tyre wear. My car wobbles only when i drive between 70 kmph to 80 kmph and especially on inclines! Have done balancing, alignment, rotation etc. The problem just shifts to higher speeds (like 80-90). Once I go to higher speeds I have no wobble which is interesting.

Anyways I am planning to change my tyres. XM2 or Earth 1? I drive through some really pathetic roads in Bangalore. I also drive fast and good grip is also another criteria I look for.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 28th June 2018, 00:01   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Unfortunately i seem to have had uneven tyre wear.
Have you had any instances of hard braking ?
Old 28th June 2018, 09:47   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Have you had any instances of hard braking ?
Possible. Depends on how hard is hard Not had a life threatening braking situation, but yeah to avoid cyclists/cabs sometimes.

It was perfectly fine, till i did the mistake of asking the Honda service guys to do wheel balancing and alignment. Realised the problem only when i hit the highway quite sometime later. Not sure if the problem was already there and got aggravated because of improper wheeling balancing.
Old 17th July 2018, 14:54   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I changed all the four tyres on my Mitsubishi Lancer to Yokohoma Earth 1 after doing extensive research for about 3 months.

I shortlisted everything from Ceat to Apollo to MRF to Michelin to Bridgestone. I found Yokohama to be the best for my usage pattern as well as my pocket. Since the day I have fitted them about 1 month back I have only positive things to say about the tyres. The tyres have made the steering feel butter smooth and light besides improving my ride quality as well. Since its raining I tested it on water logged roads and found its performance satisfactory. They are reasonably silent on the highways too and I no longer need to pump up the volume of my car stereo. Overall a to Yokohama Earth 1.

I will keep posting my experiences with them as years/kms pass.
Quoting myself and nearly after a year of using these tyres I am must say I am impressed. The tyres have been running good and there was not a single puncture during the year with a mixed city and highway driving pattern. They have been performing flawlessly in the infamous monsoon of Bombay. Overall a to Yokohama Earth 1.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 17th July 2018 at 14:55.
Old 18th August 2018, 09:51   #485
CPJ
BHPian

Dear Team Members,
Since March 2018, I'm running 4 Yokohama Earth 1 tyres on my VW Polo Highline. Unfortunately the experience has not been a great one.

During the tyre change, I had ensured that the tyres are from the latest batch (January 2018 manufactured). In these 5 odd months, I have faced two side wall failures.

Both the side wall failures have been due to vehicle going through pot holes. In the first instance the speed was around 30 Km/hour and in the second instance the speed was as low as 20 km/hour.

After the first incident, I had replaced the tyre with a new one (May 2018 Manufactured) by claiming warranty and this same new tyre has faced side wall failure yesterday.

Now, I'm just wondering, is the side wall weak in case of Yokohama Earth 1?
Old 18th August 2018, 11:19   #486
BHPian

Anyone have an opinion on the MRF Perfinza ? Was contemplating Yoko Earth 1 vs MRF Perfinza.
Old 20th August 2018, 17:02   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
Dear Team Members,
Since March 2018, I'm running 4 Yokohama Earth 1 tyres on my VW Polo Highline. Unfortunately the experience has not been a great one.

During the tyre change, I had ensured that the tyres are from the latest batch (January 2018 manufactured). In these 5 odd months, I have faced two side wall failures.

Both the side wall failures have been due to vehicle going through pot holes. In the first instance the speed was around 30 Km/hour and in the second instance the speed was as low as 20 km/hour.

After the first incident, I had replaced the tyre with a new one (May 2018 Manufactured) by claiming warranty and this same new tyre has faced side wall failure yesterday.

Now, I'm just wondering, is the side wall weak in case of Yokohama Earth 1?
That has to be some seriously bad luck. I've done around 60,000 km on bad bumpy roads with my Earth 1's, and only now am I starting to see some wear. I think I should be able to get another 12 to 15K.
Old 20th August 2018, 19:05   #488
Senior - BHPian

What air pressure do you maintain. Both very high or very low pressures could result in this kind of damage. I would suggest that you buy a reliable air pressure guage and maintain the pressure as per recommended standards.
Old 4th September 2018, 20:05   #489
BANNED

Came across this advertisement just now. I hope it helps any potential customers.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-screenshot_20180904200247644_com.android.chrome.png  

Old 4th September 2018, 20:58   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

I have Earth 1s on my WagonR which are 2 years 30k kms old (2015 manufactured). I have been doing 4 tyre rotation every 5-7k kms.

In the past 6 months, I made 3 trips to the hills (Munnar, Kodaikanal and western ghats - Goa). The drive was a bit aggressive, as much as a WagonR will allow. I observe accelerated tyre wear after these trips. The tyre condition before and after the trip were very apparent though they wore out evenly. And obviously the front ones wore out more than the rear ones.

Is this expected? Do the corners eat up the tyres so quickly?
Old 5th September 2018, 10:09   #491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have Earth 1s on my WagonR which are 2 years 30k kms old (2015 manufactured). I have been doing 4 tyre rotation every 5-7k kms.

In the past 6 months, I made 3 trips to the hills (Munnar, Kodaikanal and western ghats - Goa). The drive was a bit aggressive, as much as a WagonR will allow. I observe accelerated tyre wear after these trips. The tyre condition before and after the trip were very apparent though they wore out evenly. And obviously the front ones wore out more than the rear ones.

Yes they do. However, it is hard for anyone sitting in front of a computer to give a proper answer without knowing exactly how hard you were pushing the tyres.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:30   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Yes they do. However, it is hard for anyone sitting in front of a computer to give a proper answer without knowing exactly how hard you were pushing the tyres.
Thanks Nikhil, that helps. I was pushing as much as a tall boy hatchback, with its poor dynamics, will allow. I must say I enjoyed the ghats as much as possible. Also due to poor low end torque, I have to rev the engine quite a bit while starting from inclines and do get short wheelspins sometimes.

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th September 2018 at 10:31.
Old 5th September 2018, 12:20   #493
BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure your alignment and suspension are OK?

I have the Earth 1s on my Octavia, and I frequently push the car in terms of hard/fast turns and high speed runs, and I haven't witnessed this issue in 60K kms.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th September 2018 at 08:13. Reason: Removed references of speeding.
Old 5th September 2018, 12:56   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Are you sure your alignment and suspension are OK?
I got the alignment checked last month and also checked the tyres in detail. They are worn out very evenly across the width of the thread. Also car goes linear and stable at high speeds without any pull or hint of vibration which makes me believe the alignment is fine. I was a bit surprised since the tyres seemed as good as new after 22k kms and they look fairly old at 30k. Out of the 8k, 6k kms are on highways or hills with speeds upto 130. I will keep observing.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2018 at 17:01. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 5th September 2018, 17:31   #495
BHPian

Quote:
I got the alignment checked last month and also checked the tyres in detail. They are worn out very evenly across the width of the thread. Also car goes linear and stable at high speeds without any pull or hint of vibration which makes me believe the alignment is fine. I was a bit surprised since the tyres seemed as good as new after 22k kms and they look fairly old at 30k. Out of the 8k, 6k kms are on highways or hills with speeds upto 130. I will keep observing.
Here is a picture of one of my tyres after about 55,000 kms. All others are largely the same, but I am noticing degradation and that 'old' look from this point onward.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-tyre1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks