Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 17:39   #496
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Here is a picture of one of my tyres after about 55,000 kms. All others are largely the same, but I am noticing degradation and that 'old' look from this point onward.
Tyres look good enough for 55k KM's. They should do atleast 10-15 k KM's before requiring change.
Old 5th September 2018, 20:09   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have Earth 1s on my WagonR which are 2 years 30k kms old (2015 manufactured). I have been doing 4 tyre rotation every 5-7k kms.

In the past 6 months, I made 3 trips to the hills (Munnar, Kodaikanal and western ghats - Goa). The drive was a bit aggressive, as much as a WagonR will allow. I observe accelerated tyre wear after these trips. The tyre condition before and after the trip were very apparent though they wore out evenly. And obviously the front ones wore out more than the rear ones.

Is this expected? Do the corners eat up the tyres so quickly?
The earth 1s on my old figo have gone almost bald( about 0.5 mm left) at about 36k km.
The original OEM MRF last about 45k km.

One of the tyres has a hairline sidewall crack that I noticed while cleaning the car.
These Earth 1s really performed well, good grip and decent durability ( have driven on some non existent roads this monsoon). Also my Figo had worn out tie rods ends which I changed so maybe these also contributed to the lower life expectancy.
I do drive my car in a spirited fashion so I'm kind of ok with the life of these tyres, if they had lasted till 40k I would have be overjoyed :-D

I will however try a different set of rubbers this time not because I hated the yokos but just feel the urge to try something new :-) Maybe go for the Bridgestone b290 or GY triplemax 2( distributor price)

Whatever it is the earth 1s are a really good tyre and seeing that other owners have extracted much more life then me, I can easily recommend these tyres to other people.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 5th September 2018 at 20:10.
Old 5th September 2018, 22:56   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Tyres look good enough for 55k KM's. They should do atleast 10-15 k KM's before requiring change.
It certainly seems to be the case!
I am most pleased, as never have I managed to use a tyre so long. I usually find myself replacing at the 40K mark. However, I must add, I've always used "soft" tyres - not the usual MRF, JK, etc.
Old 5th September 2018, 23:36   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post

I will however try a different set of rubbers this time not because I hated the yokos but just feel the urge to try something new :-) Maybe go for the Bridgestone b290 or GY triplemax 2( distributor price)
Try Micheline xm2's this time. Have used b290's on my Figo and to be honest they are not worth the price. They look older than required just after 26 k KM's. Tyre noise is also at higher side. Grip levels are decent.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 12:35   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

The current condition of my tyres at 30k kms.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-front.jpg
Front tyres are much better than the current rear ones

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-rear.jpg
These were brought from front to rear in the last rotation 2k ago

I get to drive on some of the worst road patches on a daily basis. How much longer will they last?

Quote:
Attachment 1701428
17 months and 20k kms since I am using Earth-1s on my WagonR. While the tyres have aged well, I saw the first crack on one of them. The good part is the crack is on the thread block and there's no air loss.
This is the tyre condition at 20k mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Here is a picture of one of my tyres after about 55,000 kms. All others are largely the same, but I am noticing degradation and that 'old' look from this point onward.
Those are almost new tyres.
Old 7th September 2018, 16:17   #501
BHPian

Quote:
The current condition of my tyres at 30k kms.
I think you should get another 8 or 10K out of them. Must be really bad roads!
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:30   #502
BHPian

Changed my '15 Figo's Stock MRFs to Earth1s and immediately felt the car was much lighter.
However when I pushed the car to around 120 kmph, the lightness of steering was disconcerting and I backed off immediately.
Does it get better as the tyres age?
Old 3rd October 2018, 19:01   #503
BHPian

The Earth 1s on our Ertiga has done 50k kms exactly and I think it will last another 10-15k kms more. In comparison, the stock MRF ZVT lasted for 77k kms but I would trade off the extra tread life for much more comfort and grip that these tires provide.

Would strongly recommend these tires.
RoadGlide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 19:11   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
Changed my '15 Figo's Stock MRFs to Earth1s and immediately felt the car was much lighter.
However when I pushed the car to around 120 kmph, the lightness of steering was disconcerting and I backed off immediately.
Does it get better as the tyres age?
No, IMHO, tire's age has got nothing with that. It is the thread pattern and also the alignment that must have been the reason and also ask the wheel alignment guy to have a look with a special mention of the steering lightness. Especially, Figos' are known to handle extremely good (Ford's DNA). So, it definitely should be more to do with the alignment. Cheers
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:05   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
.. tread pattern and also the alignment that must have been the reason and also ask the wheel alignment guy to have a look with a special mention of the steering lightness
Exactly my observation, which I had reported earlier about a year and a half back -

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Fitted two 185/65 R14 Earth1 tyres (for my Palio) last week....

Did a 200+ km drive yesterday. Tyres are as silent as C.drives. Braking appears to have improved (the rear tyres have done just above 10,000 kms). One big plus point is that at triple digit speeds C.drive used to make the steering lighter - Earth1 is able to give a better feel till 120. (Is it because the tyres are new?)
All four tyres are now Earth1, used for 5000+ kms now. Wheel alignment, balancing, rotation etc. all undertaken (three times in last one year). However, beyond 120, the lightness of steering still persists. I guess it is because of the softer compound and tread pattern?

Guess will stick to speeds of ~80 - the combination of spiraling petrol prices and owning a Palio sort of forces me to be sane?
Old 4th October 2018, 12:01   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
No, IMHO, tire's age has got nothing with that. It is the thread pattern and also the alignment that must have been the reason and also ask the wheel alignment guy to have a look with a special mention of the steering lightness. Especially, Figos' are known to handle extremely good (Ford's DNA). So, it definitely should be more to do with the alignment. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Exactly my observation, which I had reported earlier about a year and a half back -

All four tyres are now Earth1, used for 5000+ kms now. Wheel alignment, balancing, rotation etc. all undertaken (three times in last one year). However, beyond 120, the lightness of steering still persists. I guess it is because of the softer compound and tread pattern?

Guess will stick to speeds of ~80 - the combination of spiraling petrol prices and owning a Palio sort of forces me to be sane?
Thanks guys, that clears things up for me. Yesterday I did a trial run again
Turns out the "lightness" manifests itself after the tyres are "hot". When I started off I was happy that the feeling was gone. After driving around for about 40 kms, I tried speeding again and this time it was back.
Looks like I will have to live with this and stick to speeds below 120. But I am amazed at how silent and grippy these tyres are through corners.
Old 18th December 2018, 14:56   #507
BHPian

Hello BHP’ians,

My Ciaz came fitted with 15” MRF ZVTV on all five wheels including the spare. Although the tyres seemed durable enough to last a good 50K Kms, the roaring noise at speed kept bothering me. Besides these Tyres were highly prone to punctures (I assume that the ones on my car were lemons) and picked up nails and cuts on any given opportunity. The front left tyre had picked up as many as 13 punctures whilst the others managed about 5-6 each. All these experiences are merely within 2 years of usage. Hence it was decided to replace them with better rubber and opted on the Yokohama Earth 1.

The new shoes have completed 6k Kms as of now and are going strong. It seems this is the apt time to pen down by observations on the same;

1. The Earth1’s are phenomenally silent as compared to ZVTV. The tyres are pin drop silent in the range of 60-80 Kmph. They continue remaining super silent up to 120 Kmph. At this point there sets in a faint humming which increases progressively up to 140 Kmph, though the volume all along remains mild and nothing bothersome.

Post 140 Kmph the sound increases substantially. But then, these figures (which are derived in closed private roads) are not the legal speeds at which a Car can be driven on our public roads and highways.

2. Earth1 excels in handling wet roads. The grip levels are substantial and the noise minimal. The car retains firm composure at all times.

3. The Earth1 have great temperature management. They manage to remain cool even after driving the whole day at 80-100 Kmph speeds in scorching sun. I have checked them personally while saying so, as the Apollo Amazer and Goodyear GT3 used on my other Car tend to get warm. Surprisingly, the MRF also remained adequately cool.

4. Coming to the aspect of ride quality, the Earth1’s are seemingly absorbent and offer plush ride on bad roads. Rumble strips, small rubber speed breakers, small pot holes, etc just come and go by. The occupants just do not even get a feel of them. However on undulations the car tends to slightly bounce (I presently maintain 30 Psi) and gives a feel as though we are sailing in a car. Perhaps the soft suspension set up of the Ciaz also has something to contribute or may be just that I have to play a bit more with other pressure levels.

5. Punctures, well none. I continue driving on the same roads as were with my earlier ZVTV. However these Yokos have picked up none. I happened to drive twice on a stretch of about 10 Kms, where the so called road was nothing but rubble, crushed stones and grit; in other words a very “puncture friendly” zone. Here also, the Yokos came out with flying colors, as they picked no cuts or puncture.

6. Air retention is another area where the Earth1 exceeded my expectations. The tyres were installed on 07th August 2018 with an uniform pressure of 30 Psi. The recorded pressures on 16th December 2018 were 29, 27, 28 and 29 Psi. A drop in pressure by just 3 Psi (Max) within 4 months duration and after about 6K Kms of running is pretty awesome (at least in my opinion). The Pressure levels were checked every fortnight and only on 16th December the real need for a top up was found. The tyres have retained pressure very well.

7. Grip levels are decent. Although I cannot comment much as there was no single instance of panic braking in this duration.

In nutshell, I am pretty much satisfied with the Earth1 as it meets / exceeds all my expectations. Highly recommended.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 15:48   #508
Senior - BHPian

Earth 1 has served me well on both my Swift Petrol as well as Honda Brio. Between them, they have covered more than 50,000 kms and not too many complaints other than a few punctures n the regular course of usage due to nails from constructions sites etc.

One pain point about them (albeit a minor one) is that they tend to pick and and lodge small stone chips all the time. No matter how frequently one keeps removing them, the tires pick them up within the next couple of days. They do create some road noise when the stones hit the asphalt when the car is in motion.
Old 18th December 2018, 16:07   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post

1. The Earth1’s are phenomenally silent as compared to ZVTV.

2. Earth1 excels in handling wet roads.

3. The Earth1 have great temperature management.

4. Coming to the aspect of ride quality, the Earth1’s are seemingly absorbent and offer plush ride on bad roads. Rumble strips, small rubber speed breakers, small pot holes, etc just come and go by. The occupants just do not even get a feel of them. However on undulations the car tends to slightly bounce (I presently maintain 30 Psi) and gives a feel as though we are sailing in a car. Perhaps the soft suspension set up of the Ciaz also has something to contribute or may be just that I have to play a bit more with other pressure levels.

5. Punctures, well none.

6. Air retention is another area where the Earth1 exceeded my expectations.

7. Grip levels are decent. Although I cannot comment much as there was no single instance of panic braking in this duration.
I absolutely agree with you on all the above. I did about 60K kms with my Yoko Earth 1s on my Skoda Octavia which I sold 2 months ago. The tyres still had life for another 20K on them.

My observations:

1. More silent than the Goodyears I have on my Polo, Yokohama A Drive on E220, and Yokohama S Drive on 300E.

2. I concur on the wet grip.

3. The Earth 1 tyres do get hot when you drive spiritedly over a long duration. I'm talking about hard acceleration and braking, along with sharp turns etc. But that is expected. I've never had the problem of 0 grip which happens to some when they get too hot. Yokohama A Drives on my E220 are a prime example of this.

4/5/6. I do believe you need to increase the pressure. Try using 32 or 34 and see how it behaves then. Also, my tyre dealer (who does not stock nitrogen), told me to use nitrogen and avoid checking the pressure every 2 weeks as it increases the chance of valve getting dirty and leaking air. My experience says he was right, as I only got 3 flats in 4 years. Out of those 3, only 1 required a road side tyre change, rest, I could top up and drive and get fixed at ease. An additional benefit of nitrogen is that you only need to check the pressure once in 2 or 3 months.

7. Be at ease. The tyres perform well under high stress braking.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 13:43   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
.... The tyres are pin drop silent in the range of 60-80 Kmph...

... However on undulations the car tends to slightly bounce (I presently maintain 30 Psi) and gives a feel as though we are sailing in a car...

.... Air retention is another area where the Earth1 exceeded my expectations.

In nutshell, I am pretty much satisfied with the Earth1 as it meets / exceeds all my expectations...
Very good observations and are similar to my experience (have done about 5000 kms on Earth1 over a period of one year).

I too have similar feedback of a slight disconnect while driving on uneven highway patches at 50+ speeds. I had got the alignment and balancing redone within this 5000 kms, but it still persists. Checked the drive shafts also - nothing there. Tried various pressures (28 to 32 psi), but no improvement. Concluded that it must be tyre behaviour.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
One pain point about them (albeit a minor one) is that they tend to pick and and lodge small stone chips all the time .... They do create some road noise when the stones hit the asphalt when the car is in motion.
Exactly! There is always a doubt in the back of mind whether any nut / bolt has worked loose when I hear such sounds :-(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks