Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2020, 17:34   #556
sbm
BHPian

Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
To my surprise the dealer ( Padmavathy Tyres in Chennai) said these Earth 1s are now out of production and asked me to go for BluEarth in the same size
As it was a bit urgent I couldnt shop around and went for the same.
2 Questions
1) Are Earth1s no longer in production at least in the 195/55 R16 size
?
The Earth 1s are still listed on Yokohama India's website and also available on tyre market.com along with Blue earths in 195/55/16 size.
I am also looking for the same size tyre as one of my tyres suffered a side wall damage and I am planning to replace it. I think the dealer just cashed the opportunity and sold you what he had.

By the way, how is the performance of these tyres compared to stock tyres.
Old 11th January 2020, 19:10   #557
BHPian

There was a huge difference in terms of noise and ride when I changed my 43k run B250s to earth1s. After 28k thought can say it is only slightly better in terms of noise and quite similar in terms of ride.
However they have been extremely reliable. Only 1 puncture over 28k while I had quite a few and a similar sidewall rupture on the 250s. This despite it becoming a daily driver and pretty much a beater car while I used to baby it earlier.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 12:01   #558
BHPian

I have used Yoko Earth 1 tyres on my Swift Dzire from 2017 Mar- Oct 2019. I have covered around 25000 kms with them across various terrains under different conditions. They are way better than the OE tyres with out a doubt. The same day I changed my tyres, a friend of mine changed his Swift ZXI tyres to a Bridgestone B250. The initial feel of both were similar. I felt the Yoko held better under wet conditions. We had taken stock of our tyres after around 20k kilometers and both showed similar amount of wear and tear. However, there was more dislocation in the thread pattern of the B250 compared to mine. That could also be attributed to the driving style. I have sold my car and bought a new one. If someone asks me if I would opt for a Yoo again, my answer would be "Definitely worth a try". Hope this clarifies.
born.4thnov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 19:08   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
To my surprise the dealer ( Padmavathy Tyres in Chennai) said these Earth 1s are now out of production and asked me to go for BluEarth in the same size
Contrary to this, my tire guy just called me up & informed that the BluEarth’s are going out of production & suggests me to go for Earth-1. I had also got this information from another tire shop couple of weeks back when I was planning an upgrade for my Creta’s tires & decided to go for BluEarth’s going by the reviews on the forum.
However I didn’t believe the news from the tire shop about the production stoppage & insisted him to source the BluEarth’s from wherever possible. But now it’s kinda confirmed news that the BluEarth’s are going to be stopped permanently.
Old 8th July 2020, 21:56   #560
BHPian

So finally got a set of Yokohama Earth-1 in 225/55/R17 size for my Creta VTVT. Having been driven for around 150 kms or so; here are few initial impressions. This is an upgrade from my earlier stock Kumho Solus SA01 tires in 205/65/R16 size. I had clocked around 43k KMS with the same.

1. Ride Quality: This is on area that has taken the most hit and the ride has become stiffer. Even though this was expected due to the upsize and comparatively thinner sidewall of 55; the ride is noticeably stiffer. I am maintaining a tire pressure of 33 psi with Nitrogen air.
Initially the tire guy had inflated them to 35 psi when I had got the wheels installed yesterday and the ride was terrible on the way back home! Visited him today again and dropped the pressure to 33 psi which feels better now. But again, it's definitely stiffer than the Kumho's.

2. Steering Feedback: The steering is now well weighted and needs slight effort while turning at parking speeds. But this is OK, as the 1st-gen Creta steering was quite light to begin with. No complaints here.

3. Handling: This area has seen an improvement with the car feeling more confident to be pushed around. Not that it has gained any European car-like handling; but the car doesn't wallow anymore on turns and holds onto the line well.
Also, since the earlier Kumho's were already 43k KMS & 5 Years old, they were kinda nearing their end of life.

4. Braking: Dry condition braking has improved too, and the car needs lesser distance to come to a halt. However, I didn't find any remarkable improvement in terms of Wet condition braking.

5. Noise: This is one area where the Earth-1's are a disaster!! What noisy tires these are! Even my earlier Kumho's did a better job with regards to noise (even on concrete roads).
If anyone is looking for a silent ride from their tires, please look elsewhere. These tires are damn noisy.
Additionally, what I noticed is that, the amount of noise increases as you cover more distance and tires begin to heat up. Another user in the forum too has similar comments on this phenomenon.

6. Looks: They look great! This definitely contributes to the overall stance of the car.
Due to their design, Earth-1's infact look slightly broader than similar spec'd tires of other OEM's. They even look better then their very own BluEarth's AE-50 of similar spec.

I had initially planned to go for the BluEarth AE-50, since those tires are supposed to be slightly better than the Earth-1 going by the reviews in the forum. However, like I mentioned in my earlier post; three different tire dealers confirmed to me that the AE-50 have gone out of production due to numerous complaints of sidewall damage and stuff. Hence, Earth-1 was the only option.
Also, Yokohama is already planning to launch a Made in India tire as a replacement for the AE-50. But the launch timeline is unknown due to the current situation.

Overall, it's a mixed bag for me with the Earth-1, with a major irritant being the NOISE. Maybe it's subjective and some can with live with that and hence I don't see much of an issue with the other users in the forum.
But yeah, these tires and a good set of alloys can do wonders to improve the looks of your car.

Let's see how they fair in coming days. Will update as I progress.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 8th July 2020 at 22:14.
ashvek3141 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 17:12   #561
BHPian

Just got Yoko Earth1 185/65 R15 for my fluidic Verna replacing the stock MRF. Got these locally for 4500/- a piece including fitting, balancing, weights, alignment and nitrogen. Wanted to go for Bluearth basis the reviews but multiple dealers told me that it is prone to sidewall damage and all of them had old unsold 2019 stock of Bluearth.

I see immense change in handling, wet and dry braking etc. Yet to test on highway but city ride feel has improved significantly. Will post later with detailed reviews.
Old 21st September 2020, 18:23   #562

I'm here to update that I've got my folks' Honda Amaze 1.2 petrol shod with Earth 1s of 175/65/R14 stock size, replacing OEM MRF ZVTVs after a whopping 60k km clocked on them since 2013 and they had started bulging n developing cracks. Should've got them replaced way earlier. The ride quality has improved tremendously and noise has also significantly reduced, will comment on handling on the Amaze after a few thousand kms.
Quite a few dealers in Hyderabad suggested Yoko BluEarth ES ES32 tyres but I couldn't find any reviews of them nor did I find them listed on Yoko India website, so I avoided them and opted for the tried and tested Earth1s. The EA90 series of BluEarth isn't available in stock size so didn't consider them.
This is my second set of Earth1s, the first set doing duty on my Fiesta 1.6 petrol since 2016 without any issues apart from a couple of punctures on one particular tyre.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20200921_151735.jpg  

Old 26th September 2020, 19:45   #563

Hello All!

I am planning to change the OEM fitted Good Years on my Grand i10. The tires are 5.5 years old and have done just 22k done on odo. The car was run sparingly and will now hopefully run more than it did over the last few years.

I am contemplating between the Yokohama Earth 1’s and the Michelin Energy XM2+. Do note that I’m intending to upsize from the stock size of 165/65 R14 to 175/65 R14.

Would prioritize the tyre which would have lower tyre noise and better handling. My usage would be 60% city and 40% highway. Need suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th September 2020 at 10:55. Reason: Typos, errors.
Old 26th September 2020, 20:19   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvadakan View Post
I am contemplating between the Yokohama Earth 1’s and the Michelin Energy XM2+. Do note that I’m intending to upsize from the stock size of 165/65 R14 to 175/65 R14.

Would prioritize the tyre which would have lower tyre noise and better handling. My usage would be 60% city and 40% highway. Need suggestions. Thanks.
Would suggest the Michelin's over the Earth 1, if low tire noise is your priority. Earth 1 are noisy tires, especially if the roads are not properly tarred.
Additionally, from the handling aspect too the Michelin's are superior to the Earth 1.

If budget is not a constraint, it's Michelin all the way!

Last edited by Sheel : 27th September 2020 at 10:56. Reason: Quoted post is edited.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 20:22   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Would suggest the Michelin's over the Earth 1, if low tire noise is your priority. Earth 1 are noisy tires, especially if the roads are not properly tarred.
Additionally, from the handling aspect too the Michelin's are superior to the Earth 1.

If budget is not a constraint, it's Michelin all the way!
Thanks for the suggestion. Even I’m inclined towards the Michelin’s as they are pretty new and have heard some good reviews about them. Will try and share my two cents post the change.
naveenvadakan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 01:12   #566
BHPian

Been 2 weeks since I replaced the old Yoko A539s with the Yoko Earth1s on my Father's old workhorse.

Was confused between the Michelin Energy XM2s and the Yoko Earth1s just like I was confused 6-7 years back between the Michelin XM1s and the Yoko A539s.

Reasons for choosing the Yoko over Michelin was, firstly, no stock of Michelins at any tyre store in town and waiting for stock to arrive was not an option as the old tyres started becoming a pain to live with. Secondly, Michelins did not have the size I preferred i.e. 175/60 R13. Also got a good deal on the Yokos at 3.5k each.

Observations: Barely any tyre noise as the switch was from a set of 7 year old tyres. On the downside, tread pattern does hold in small chips and pebbles on some rough roads.

And also took this as an opportunity to get the alloy rims re-sprayed as the old paint had started to chip off and looked untidy.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-b.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-c.jpg

A visual comparison between the 175s to the stock 145s the car originally came with back in 2004.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-d.jpg

Last edited by navin : 27th September 2020 at 14:53. Reason: typo
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 21:34   #567
BHPian

Got Yokohama Earth 1 for our Creta. The stock Goodyear Assurance lasted 41k km. They still had some tread left for another 5-6k km but 2 of them deformed on my way back from Ahmedabad yesterday. Changed one of them with the spare but had to drive on one deformed one till Pune. So was very slow and careful specially on expressway.
Got the tyres from Sai Krupa tyres near Wakad Bridge in Pune. Highly recommended shop also for alignment and balancing.

Attaching images of the 2 deformed Goodyears
Attached Thumbnails
Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20201006_164829__01.jpg  

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20201006_164245__01.jpg  

ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:03   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Got Yokohama Earth 1 for our Creta.
Do share your experience with the Yoko’s as against the GY.
What spec did you get for your car?
Any specific differences that you observed?

A major gripe I have with these tires is with regards to the noise that they generated on a not so well paved roads. This gets worse on concrete roads especially.

Do share your thoughts.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:06   #569
Senior - BHPian

Guys would you recommend Michelin Primacy 4ST or Yokohama for the 2020 Creta SXO (D), which I am about to get delivery of, which is most probably being shod with JK Royale UX tyres. I saw a YouTube review (changemytyres) that these Royale UX tyres arent all that bad. Tyre size is 215/60/R17.
Old 9th October 2020, 16:30   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Do share your experience with the Yoko’s as against the GY.
What spec did you get for your car?
Any specific differences that you observed?
They are 205/65/R16
I haven't driven much with them until now. Only had a test drive of few kms after getting them. So really not in a position to share an opinion. But I certainly felt a marked improvement in breaking. But this could also be due to the fact that my old tyres were 4.5 yrs old and must have hardened a bit.
Will certainly share my observations after my next long drive.

Quote:
A major gripe I have with these tires is with regards to the noise that they generated on a not so well paved roads. This gets worse on concrete roads especially.
Do share your thoughts.
This is exactly what I noticed during the test drive with the Yokos. Compared to Goodyears they are quieter on well paved smooth roads. But on rough surfaces they are noticeably noisier. It is not really a bother because of good noise insulation in Creta but the difference is very noticeable.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed