Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2014, 14:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
To change RFTs, there are certain special tyre changers that should be used.

However, most BMW dealers in the country use some cheap equipment which are often surpassed by a quality tyre shop in the nearby area.

Also, many times the dealer may have the correct tyre changer but if the technician doesnt know how to use it, then it's useless.
Thanks Nikhib & Akshay. Will be careful when they change my tyres now.

Just one more help. I would like to know what tubeless tyres are currently best value for money right now for my X1. My priority are tyres longevity and decent grip ( Not track level cars grip ) and probably lower noise ( not a major priority since the X1's NVH insulation is good ).

I got quote for 2 tyres as below for tyre size 225 / 50 R17.

1) Bridgestone Potenza RE050A - 18,900 Rs per Tyre
2) Michelin Primacy 3ST - 15,000 Rs per Tyre

Are the above prices reasonable or if they are too expensive , can you please guide me to a site that shows Tyre rates in India so I could negotiate a bit.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th April 2016 at 22:12. Reason: merging consecutive posts.
Old 26th October 2014, 16:17   #32
BHPian

Re: Handling a BMW runflat puncture

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Just one more help. I would like to know what tubeless tyres are currently best value for money right now for my X1. My priority are tyres longevity and decent grip ( Not track level cars grip ) and probably lower noise ( not a major priority since the X1's NVH insulation is good ).

I got quote for 2 tyres as below for tyre size 225 / 50 R17.

1) Bridgestone Potenza RE050A - 18,900 Rs per Tyre
2) Michelin Primacy 3ST - 15,000 Rs per Tyre

Are the above prices reasonable or if they are too expensive , can you please guide me to a site that shows Tyre rates in India so I could negotiate a bit.
Hi Stanjohn,

I changed to Michelin Primacy ST3 from Pirelli P7 Runflats about 20000 kms ago; marked difference in ride quality and noise levels. Also, I think they will last longer than the P7's. My two cents, go for ST3. I got them at 14K a piece after exchanging my run flats in Gurgaon. My 2011 S20D has done 51K Kms so far and the ST3's are holding up good. To be honest, I am yet to get them swapped for even tread wear; and all 4 tyres show good and even tread still.

One word of caution; tyre dealership won't tell you this but when your old ones are off, they will insist on changing the nozzles on all 4 tyres which is a charge on free will basis. Negotiate hard and you shouldn't have to pay more than 200 per nozzle. I was caught unaware and the blokes at the dealership kept insisting I change else the new tyre warranty will go void; and each nozzle was quoted for 400 a piece. I agreed to pay additional 1000 Rs over and above the 56,000 I was paying for the 4 tyres. Tyre balancing came free with the purchase.

All the best for your purchase.

Cheers,
Sid
Old 26th October 2014, 20:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
Hi Stanjohn,

I changed to Michelin Primacy ST3 from Pirelli P7 Runflats about 20000 kms ago; marked difference in ride quality and noise levels. Also, I think they will last longer than the P7's. My two cents, go for ST3. I got them at 14K a piece after exchanging my run flats in Gurgaon. My 2011 S20D has done 51K Kms so far and the ST3's are holding up good. To be honest, I am yet to get them swapped for even tread wear; and all 4 tyres show good and even tread still.

One word of caution; tyre dealership won't tell you this but when your old ones are off, they will insist on changing the nozzles on all 4 tyres which is a charge on free will basis. Negotiate hard and you shouldn't have to pay more than 200 per nozzle. I was caught unaware and the blokes at the dealership kept insisting I change else the new tyre warranty will go void; and each nozzle was quoted for 400 a piece. I agreed to pay additional 1000 Rs over and above the 56,000 I was paying for the 4 tyres. Tyre balancing came free with the purchase.

Cheers,
Sid
Pirelli's are one of the worst when it comes to longevity (it's like they melt on the road ). So I was never looking at that brand. I will go with the Michelin 3 ST.

Thanks a lot for giving me a heads up on the nozzles price. Will negotiate with them for it and the tyres as well.
Old 28th November 2014, 21:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post

Cheers,
Sid
Hi Sid,

Got the primacy 3ST installed , got them for 13,800 and they did not charge for the nozzle. They did charge 1,200 for wheel alignment and balancing which seems to be fair. They did a good job without damaging the wheels as well.
Old 17th April 2016, 15:49   #35
ais
BHPian

Got the first puncture on my 320d repaired to after having driven 7000 km. Plug/wick type repair for Rs. 50/- (near Malsi Deer Park, Dehradun). I consulted the service expert Mr. Gurvinder at Krishna Motors BMW Chandigarh before doing anything at all after noticing the puncture. The pressure was 4 Lbs after the car was stationary for 2 days when I noticed the flat.

Strangely, the FTP monitor did not issue any warning. Mr. Gurvinder mentioned this would happen after about 100kms of driving on zero air. However, on returning after the repair, having driven about 3km, the warning flashed! Therafter I filled all tyres to exactly the same pressure- 34.5 lbs (hot day here- cold tyre pressure was 31 lbs when I started journey from Panchkula).

Will post follow ups on what happens next on return journey to Panchkula tomorrow morning.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 23:24   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post

Strangely, the FTP monitor did not issue any warning. Mr. Gurvinder mentioned this would happen after about 100kms of driving on zero air. However, on returning after the repair, having driven about 3km, the warning flashed! Therafter I filled all tyres to exactly the same pressure- 34.5 lbs (hot day here- cold tyre pressure was 31 lbs when I started journey from Panchkula).
What nonsense he is speaking. If the warning came after 100kms of zero air, it would be useless as the runflat would have been finished by then.

It works on the ABS sensors, and needs even just a few mins of near constant driving speed. In our stop and go city traffic it does take a long time to detect punctures.
Old 18th April 2016, 21:51   #37
ais
BHPian

Checking with my contact at BMW Germany. From own experience he says 20-50km on partial loss of pressure. He is checking with the concerned expert and will revert shortly. Meanwhile please assume that the onboard monitor is pretty much useless! I'll be checking the tyre pressure before and after every journey for discrepancies.

Meanwhile, the puncture repair with the wick is doing fine. No pressure loss after 24 hours, 200 kms and one emergency braking with ABS squealing away incident. And yes, I've procured a puncture repair kit with 5 wicks for Rs. 300/-. I already have a fine plyer.
Old 18th April 2016, 22:13   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Checking with my contact at BMW Germany. From own experience he says 20-50km on partial loss of pressure. He is checking with the concerned expert and will revert shortly. Meanwhile please assume that the onboard monitor is pretty much useless! I'll be checking the tyre pressure before and after every journey for discrepancies.

Meanwhile, the puncture repair with the wick is doing fine. No pressure loss after 24 hours, 200 kms and one emergency braking with ABS squealing away incident. And yes, I've procured a puncture repair kit with 5 wicks for Rs. 300/-. I already have a fine plyer.
The onboard monitor is pretty useless in city driving. On highways, since speeds are more constant, it detects a loss of even 3psi, and is reasonably accurate. Its definitely less than 20km on partial pressure. I've had warnings of about 4-5psi within 6-8km of leaving my residence, on a Sunday afternoon when driving speeds were pretty constant.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 09:18   #39
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The onboard monitor is pretty useless in city driving. On highways, since speeds are more constant, it detects a loss of even 3psi, and is reasonably accurate. Its definitely less than 20km on partial pressure. I've had warnings of about 4-5psi within 6-8km of leaving my residence, on a Sunday afternoon when driving speeds were pretty constant.
Was that 4-5 psi loss or 4-5 psi remaining in the tyre?
Old 19th April 2016, 11:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was that 4-5 psi loss or 4-5 psi remaining in the tyre?
It was a 4-5 psi loss. If it were 4-5 psi left in the tyre I would have noticed it before getting in the car
Old 19th April 2016, 11:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It was a 4-5 psi loss. If it were 4-5 psi left in the tyre I would have noticed it before getting in the car
Hi Akshay a bit off topic but after the unfortunate experience with the Runflats I change to Pirelli Verde Scorpio on your recommendation. Here's my feedback on it. The car has a changed character now. The ride is much more pliant and the harshness on small potholes etc is now gone. The tyre noise at highway speeds is much less now and it feels more compliant on high speeds. The tyre is now 2000 kms old include a 1100 km trip to Rajasthan. Thanks for the hand holding through the entire process a usual
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 15:12   #42
ais
BHPian

Is it an F30 or the older model? Asking because the F30 seems fine with run flats.
Old 26th July 2021, 14:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I had a puncture on my RFT in my 3rd month of ownership.

You can read more on this here;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2951473

So i fixed it and used it without any problem (Cost: Rs 300)
Hi Karan,

I am facing a similar issue with my year old 6GT. As expected, service center guys are asking to replace the tyre.

On the flip side, I am petrified at the prospect of the local tyre guy mishandling alloys / rims during the repair. Do you have any recommendation within Mumbai? Willing to travel to get this fixed.
Old 26th July 2021, 14:54   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Hi Karan,

I am facing a similar issue with my year old 6GT. As expected, service center guys are asking to replace the tyre.

On the flip side, I am petrified at the prospect of the local tyre guy mishandling alloys / rims during the repair. Do you have any recommendation within Mumbai? Willing to travel to get this fixed.
If you are having the Secure policy then you should get the tyre replaced under that i.e. if the damage is irreparable.

If not, then in Mumbai depends on the location you can get the tyre fixed at locations such as Saifee (Santacruz) or Super Tyres (Mulund) or Diwan Auto (Thane).

All the best

Last edited by karan561 : 26th July 2021 at 15:13.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks