Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2006, 19:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Help Required - Tubeless Tyre Repair

Hi Guys

How do we mend a damage in a tubeless tyre?This is on an Aveo 1.6 LT in Bangalore which had a flat left front tyre enroute to TN.The tyre has seen minor damage on a portion that kisses the alloy wheel rim.The GM guys say it is not repairable. The tyre has not seen even 1000 kms .. would mending the tyre through a retread guy and then putting a tube in help?
Old 18th June 2006, 22:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rethreading wouldn't be the better thing i guess. You won't have the levels of grip that the original tyre offers you. BTW, did u run a long way with that flat tyre without noticing it??

How do u find the Aveo 1.6LT? You happy with the car?
Old 19th June 2006, 00:04   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Its best not to mend the tubeless tyre and to get a new one. I have potenza gIII's one of the tyres scrapped a manhole cover(iron) and the sidewall was torn. There was no air noise and no sound, just a passer by telling me "sahabji tyre phat gaya hai" damn !! anyways i went to Tyreshoppee here and they repaired it by adding a patch inside the tyre sidewall and also sealing the tear by heat and all. The tyre was as good as new, but they told me that now the tyre was no more a tubeless it was tubed. i took it for a test drive 3 Tubeless potenza's with 1 tubed potenza, and there was this distinct vibration at 80-100kmph, i ended up getting a new tyre within a day. Repaired tyres get bulges, and are prone to vibrations. So its best u replace the tyre as your car is new and it will serve u better in the long run

Last edited by aZa : 19th June 2006 at 00:06.
Old 19th June 2006, 10:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hi Vigsom,

It sounds like there is damage to the bead of the tyre, which sounds dangerous and irreparable.

Why dont you post some detailed and close up pics that will give us a better idea of the extent of the damage.

Also check out these threads for reference >

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ture-help.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ess-tyres.html

cya
R
Old 19th June 2006, 22:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The tyre has not seen even 1000 kms .. would mending the tyre through a retread guy and then putting a tube in help?
I had a similar experience a few years back, the tyre's sidewall hit a kerb and it tore. I had to throw the tyre.

I would suggest if you want to keep the tyre (that is if it is repairable) then use it as a stepney and only for short distances. You can use the current stepney as your regular tyre.
Old 19th June 2006, 22:22   #6
BHPian

do we get any warranty for these new tyres.. or do we have to pay the sum by ourselves..............
Old 20th June 2006, 13:46   #7
aZa
Senior - BHPian

There aint no warranty for the Side wall, Donuts from BS have replacement warranties i think but i dont know of any other.
Old 20th June 2006, 21:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Its best not to mend the tubeless tyre and to get a new one.
Thank you for the advice guys..this was in my friend's car in B'lore and he has been told to go ahead for a new tyre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks