Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 09:08   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshatR View Post
It would mostly be Darshan tyres in Baner.
Darshan tyres is good, I had shared prices from their outlet in Kothrud.

Quote:
Most of my run is in the city with speeds of up to 80-90kmph and am a fairly smooth driver (no drag racing). Occasional trips outstation where speeds could be around the 120-130kmpl range (road permitting)
I would prefer that you upsize tyres to 195/60R15.

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, i didn't get the 'N_C' joke
Based on your profile info, was referring to Gautam. With kind of cars that he has had, extra tyre width is always welcome.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:02   #302
bkc
BHPian

Need some advice and ideas on, Tyre replacement for my swift ZDI.
I am currently running yoko s drive 195/60/R15 and car stands at 36,xxxkms.
I am having steering shake issue since my purchase and a bit relaxed, as I have extended warranty on my vehicle. I regularly service at Mandovi motors, the service people could not identify, the root cause for steering shake yet.
Once they came up saying, it is due to tyres and I proved them wrong on a test drive with wheels from their TD car.
Maruti offers 185/65 and for safety reasons we use 195/60. I do know that it does not harm any part of the vehicle, apart from having slightly rough ride and hard steering.
I intend to replace my tyres in another 5k KMs, kindly suggest 185/65 or 195/60 without warranty issues in future. I am quite happy with s-drive's grip levels and the thread pattern.
Old 18th March 2017, 10:58   #303
BHPian

My City Vdi has now done 36K kms and the Michelin 3ST 195/60R15 are quite worn out, getting punctures regularly. Want to replace them soon. Would like to know which tyres are now recommended by users. My usage is in small town and highway.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:49   #304
Senior - BHPian

Hello All, I replaced the stock 175s to Michelin 195/60/R15 within 2 hours of delivery of my 2017 VMT. The tyre pressure filled was 33psi. Can anyone who used the same size tyres tell me what is the best pressure to be maintained.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 11:59   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
My City Vdi has now done 36K kms and the Michelin 3ST 195/60R15 are quite worn out, getting punctures regularly. Want to replace them soon. Would like to know which tyres are now recommended by users. My usage is in small town and highway.
Why not repeat them? Any specific reasons for change to something else now?
P3ST is still the most recommended tyre upgrade for City in this forum. It gives the right balance between comfort and performance. I changed to them right out of the showroom and happy running around 23K KM in the first year of usage.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 12:06   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hello All, I replaced the stock 175s to Michelin 195/60/R15 within 2 hours of delivery of my 2017 VMT. The tyre pressure filled was 33psi. Can anyone who used the same size tyres tell me what is the best pressure to be maintained.
There is no right pressure recommended, just play around between 30-33 and decide whatever is comfortable for you. I maintain 31 for city drives and 33 for highway runs, I found this balance perfect.
Remember to fill the tyres when they are cold.
skyliner34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 12:34   #307
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
For rough usage you might want to stay away from Michelins. MRF tyres are known to be really hard and long lasting; maybe those would be the best fit for you. Check out Continental too. Only 36k life of 3ST is very poor. I upgraded to Michelin Xm2 in my City and would rate them as average. On very strong acceleration or cornering, these tyres squeal and protest. I don't plan on buying Michelins again...
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:23   #308
BHPian

Hello everyone !!

While playing around with tyre/tire sizes online, I came across this website which gives in detail all the appropriate sizes along with the percentage difference.

Source: https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/175-65R15.htm

Adding photos so that anyone can who visits the thread can have an idea of the various tyre/tire sizes they can put on their rims. The possibilities really seem needless.

I have added for wheel sizes up to 18", although the largest upsize I have seen is 17".
Attached Thumbnails
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-15.png  

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-16.png  

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-17.png  

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-18.png  

Old 9th April 2017, 16:11   #309
BHPian

I really have a very poor opinion of MFR ZVTV 175s on my 2012 Honda City V MT. I had replaced under warrantee over the last 3 years (at various times) all the 4 stock tyres. Each time the same problem (within 6 to 8 months of the earlier) - bulging on the surface or side wall. About 6 months back another of my stock (5th stock) MRF ZVTV had a bulge. Since warrantee was over by then, I put the bulged tyre as spare. Later the Honda dealer exchanged it (merely out of relationship) for a used (but drivable) Michelin (that they had lying around). I put the Michelin as a spare. So I was driving with 4 replaced MRF ZVTVs and one used Michelin as spare.

I am a sedate driver and very careful on potholes. My usage averages around 800 kms per month and 100% city driving. In spite of all the precautions now there is a new bulge developed on the surfaced of a 'replaced' MRF ZVTV 175. The tyre that has this new bulge now, is actually a replaced tyre from MRF. This is now is out of warrantee.

So, now I have 3 good (so far) replaced under warrantee, MRF ZVTVs and 1 MRF that has developed a bulge and the spare that is a used Michelin. MRF ZVTVs 175s have just been issue infested experience for me.

I am thinking of getting 2 new Yokohama or Michelin XM 1 or 2. The car will have 2 new tyres (Michelin or Yokohama) along with 2 earlier replaced MRF ZVTVs. The current 3rd ‘good’ (so far) MRF ZVTV 175s, I’ll put as spare.

Any suggestions between Michelin XM 1 or 2 Or Yokohama? My requirement now is long lasting and not having to change tyres every so often, like I have had to do with MRF ZVTV tyres. I understand from forum posts that Michelin tyres have ‘softer’ side walls and hence may not be that long lasting. Thus, I am inclining towards Yokohama. Suggestions or pointers welcomed.
Old 10th April 2017, 23:50   #310

Hello Everyone,
What is the offset(ET) of stock alloys (15 inch)on Honda City, is it 53 ET ?
One of my friend is looking to upgrade the stock wheels to after market alloys with the below spec , will the difference in Rim Width(5.5J vs 6.5J) , Offset cause any issue ?

Stock Spec 15x5.5Jx?? ET
After market Alloy spec 15x6.5Jx38 ET
Old 16th April 2017, 01:22   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

I am thinking of getting 2 new Yokohama or Michelin XM 1 or 2. The car will have 2 new tyres (Michelin or Yokohama) along with 2 earlier replaced MRF ZVTVs. The current 3rd ‘good’ (so far) MRF ZVTV 175s, I’ll put as spare.

Any suggestions between Michelin XM 1 or 2 Or Yokohama? My requirement now is long lasting and not having to change tyres every so often, like I have had to do with MRF ZVTV tyres. I understand from forum posts that Michelin tyres have ‘softer’ side walls and hence may not be that long lasting. Thus, I am inclining towards Yokohama. Suggestions or pointers welcomed.
Hi geotracks,

You can go for the XM2 if your usage involves more of City/Highway commute. I have been using them for past 1.5 years and have covered around 8k kms. Have been through very bad patches of road (stones and what not) and these tyres have performed well. So there is no question of worrying about soft walls for Michelins, they have improved over the years.

Yokohama is also another good option. Either of them are ideal choices.

Regards,

aghate
Old 16th April 2017, 10:05   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Hi geotracks,

You can go for the XM2 if your usage involves more of City/Highway commute. I have been using them for past 1.5 years and have covered around 8k kms. Have been through very bad patches of road (stones and what not) and these tyres have performed well. So there is no question of worrying about soft walls for Michelins, they have improved over the years.

Yokohama is also another good option. Either of them are ideal choices.

Regards,

aghate
Thanks and agree that Michelins may have improved over the years based on customer feedback.

Looked at both, Michelin XM 2 and Yokohama Earth 1 tyres. Further, the dealer had a fresh stock of Yokohama Earth 1s with manufacturing date as 2017, while all Michelins XM 2s he had available, had a manufacturing date of 2016. His personal recommendation understanding my requirements were to go with Yokohama Earth 1 tyres. After some consideration, as both were almost comparable options, opted for the Yokohama Earth 1s. The ride feels smooth now.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 18:02   #313
BHPian

I am awaiting for delivery of Honda City V MT Petrol. Planning to do tyre upgrade as first thing, straight out of showroom. I guess 195/60 R15 is the recommended size, stock tyres are 175/65 R15. Appreciate the recommendations ! Michelin or Yokohama, that's the question I am trying to answer myself.

Those from Bangalore, please suggest a good tyre dealer around Sarjapur Road/HSR Layout, Bellandur area. Somebody who will offer a decent price to the stock tyres, if taken straight to them out of showroom.
Old 28th April 2017, 00:14   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
I am awaiting for delivery of Honda City V MT Petrol. Planning to do tyre upgrade as first thing, straight out of showroom. I guess 195/60 R15 is the recommended size, stock tyres are 175/65 R15. Appreciate the recommendations ! Michelin or Yokohama, that's the question I am trying to answer myself.
As per my knowledge, the 2017 Honda City does come with 185/65 R15 tyres. There won't be a significant difference upgrading to 195s unless you are getting MRFs or Ceat as stock tyres then you may opt for an upgrade. Not undermining the brands in any way but Michelins and Yokohamas are definitely a notch better.
Old 28th April 2017, 10:18   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
As per my knowledge, the 2017 Honda City does come with 185/65 R15 tyres. There won't be a significant difference upgrading to 195s unless you are getting MRFs or Ceat as stock tyres then you may opt for an upgrade. Not undermining the brands in any way but Michelins and Yokohamas are definitely a notch better.
185s are for Vx and Zx on 16 inch alloys. V variants have 175s on 15 inch alloys. So an upsize is recommended.

I have upsized as well to 195/60/R15 Michelin XM2s on the day of the delivery.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed