Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 10:49   #406
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 2,315 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Hi guys,

My city needs new shoes for her and this time I am thinking of going for 195/60/r15. I have couple of questions so experienced bhpians please help me decide.

1) Is it safe to put 195/60 size on stock alloys?


2) Which tyre to go for?
I have changed the tires on my City V MT to 195/60 R15 Michelin P4ST a little more than a year and 10,000 kms back. Fantastic upgrade and no complaints thus far. Good comfort and good grip on the tires. Though Michelins were on the slightly higher price band as compared to Yokohamas (which is the other brand I was considering), I felt the price differential was well worth it. The upgrade is absolutely safe and tried/tested. You can go for the upgrade without any worries whatsoever.

I would suggest the Michelins from my personal experience, though I have not tried the Perfinzas yet (I hear they are great tires as well). You can't go wrong with either of these options.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 10:48   #407
BHPian
 
samkat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 108
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Dear fellow TBHPians,

I know that for VMT model 195/60 R15 is the most popular model. However, I just need to understand what's the demerit of going with 205/55 R15? I was just doing a spec comparison and found that the later one has a minimal % variance w.r.t overall circumference. Please help me clarify this confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-tyre-upsize.jpg  

samkat1 is offline  
Old 10th July 2020, 11:15   #408
BHPian
 
echo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: goa
Posts: 341
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat1 View Post
Dear fellow TBHPians,

I know that for VMT model 195/60 R15 is the most popular model. However, I just need to understand what's the demerit of going with 205/55 R15? I was just doing a spec comparison and found that the later one has a minimal % variance w.r.t overall circumference. Please help me clarify this confusion.
You will likely need to upgrade alloys to handle 205 width, at which point you can even consider going the 16" way, and that is why 195 is a more popular upgrade, as it is within the limits of stock rims.

See table in this post for reference: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post2455265 (Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!)

Last edited by echo77 : 10th July 2020 at 11:19.
echo77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 11:27   #409
BHPian
 
Raghav96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 44
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat1 View Post
what's the demerit of going with 205/55 R15?
If I am not wrong bhpian shreyas jain is running this set up on the stock alloy of honda city so you may not have to change the alloy but 205 profile is the maximum size which can be put on the stock alloy so choose wisely.

205 will jut out of the body and stones/debris will hit the doors and rear bumper. The acceleration and fuel efficiency will reduce considerably(195 upgrade results in 1-1.5kmpl reduction in fuel efficiency, no idea about 205).

Last edited by Raghav96 : 10th July 2020 at 11:29.
Raghav96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 11:28   #410
BHPian
 
samkat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 108
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
You will likely need to upgrade alloys to handle 205 width, at which point you can even consider going the 16" way, and that is why 195 is a more popular upgrade, as it is within the limits of stock rims.

See table in this post for reference: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post2455265 (Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!)
Just what I was looking for... So it's pretty clear that with 5.5J width, I need to keep it to a max of 195.

Thanks, mate!!!
samkat1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 17:40   #411
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Noida
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi all,

What is your opinion on the XM2+ vs the Goodyear assurance triple max 2 in the stock size? Other suggestions for stock sizes are welcome. Also the dealer was telling me that Goodyear has a 2 year warranty of sidewall cut etc. is there any truth to that. Lastly my Honda City is mainly a car driven by the driver in the city and an occasional highway run so does it make any sense to upgrade to 195/60 R15?

Thanks.
KC105 is offline  
Old 30th October 2020, 18:33   #412
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I own a new 2015 Honda City with company fitted Goodyear 175/65/15 (on steel wheels), which have run 41k mostly in the city (Mumbai)

I am looking to upgrade my tyres as my service center has been recommending the same for the last 1 year but more so because I intend keep the car for longer and rather upgrade tyres now than later

From what I have come across dealers recommend upgrading to 195/60 while the authorised service centers recommend sticking to 175/65 or max upgrade to 185/60

I have read a lot of reviews on this thread but no clear consensus, would be great if some one could help clear the confusion stated below:

A) 195/60 vs. 185/60: I understand clearly that the mileage would drop a little bit (0.5-1.0 kmpl), but there is little clarity on what could be potential running impact on other important aspects For e.g. 195/60 tyres rubbing against the car body, long term tyre life of 195 vs 185 vs 175.

B) Anyone tried installing 185s or 195s on steel rims as i don't want to upgrade to alloys? - Particularly on 195 as there were comments on bulging possibility.

C) While there are consistent good reviews on Michelins but confusing counters which complain of soft rubber compound not recommended for city driving. Would be great if someone could speak from experience of running Michelin XM2 on Mumbai roads or similar specifically about if there are cuts, punctures on regular basis after a couple of years of use

D) Anyone has tried installing new tyres recently in Mumbai and can help with dealer experience off late as I could only find very dated (more than 7 years old) dealer experience posts.

E) Lastly in case the Michelins are not available at good prices due to import issues cited by a few dealers, which other brand is highly recommended for the Honda City? - One of the dealers told me Continental

Looking forward to your kind and expert responses.
Also posting my purchase and dealer review on this thread once I finalise the purchase in the next week or so.

TIA
MoinDanawala is offline  
Old 30th October 2020, 20:21   #413
BHPian
 
Yakuza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoinDanawala View Post

I am looking to upgrade my tyres as my service center has been recommending the same for the last 1 year but more so because I intend keep the car for longer and rather upgrade tyres now than later
Get 185/65/15. Mileage drop will be negligible, will fit perfect on your steel wheels and will give you better ride quality.
Yakuza is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 20:46   #414
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks Yakuza, the 185/65 seems to be more recommended than 185/60 - although the speedometer error increases to +2.1% from -0.9%. I guess both of these are well under control but guess with 185/65 I will get some additional ground clearance so that should be better.

The 185 clearly seems to be winning against the 195 for now.

I guess the problem to solve for now is the tyre make, as Michelins are out of stock (atleast in Bombay) due to import issues and guess not back in stock for another month.

Would appreciate help now on other tyre brands and reasons for preferring those - as my research was primarily focused on Michelins so far

Dealers are out of stock of Michelins in Mumbai due to import issues
Now which one would you recommend?

Also a dealer recommend going for 185/65/15 vs 195/60/15 stating that my car is 5 years old and the shock ups might not be able to sustain. Also there might be issues on bumps - can you please also advise on the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
Get 185/65/15. Mileage drop will be negligible, will fit perfect on your steel wheels and will give you better ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I would vote for Michelin XM2, been using it for more than 41,000 kms and I have only praises for Michelin. I have 195/60/15 section tires and the improvement in ride comfort, noise reduction, braking etc. are considerably good that the higher prices are justified.

If you have already bought tires, please let us know which one you went for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Like many others before me, I came to this thread looking for answers on what to do about the skinny OEM tyres on my (hopefully) soon to arrive Honda City. After spending a good deal of time to go over every post on this thread and another one here: [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...e-thread.html] (Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)), I found answers to most of my questions. Summarizing my findings, in case it helps others
Wow, fantastic review, thanks for this - you have me convinced on 195/60/15. Just need some advice here

A dealer told me given I have steel wheels, any upgrade whether 185 or 195 will not prove its purpose hence I should stick to the stock 175/65/15 wheels even if I want new tyres

Dealers are out of stock of Michelins in Mumbai due to import with no clear sight of new stock - Now which brand would you recommend?

Lastly, another dealer recommended going for 185/65/15 vs 195/60/15 stating that my car is 5 years old (I bought the new 4th gen honda city in 2015) and the shock ups might not be able to sustain the 195s. Also there might be issues on bumps in 195s

The circumference difference is lower in 195s than 185s so I am not sure why are they recommending 185s

I am looking to make the purchase in the next week, any guidance will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I have changed the tires on my City V MT to 195/60 R15 Michelin P4ST a little more than a year and 10,000 kms back. Fantastic upgrade and no complaints thus far. Good comfort and good grip on the tires. Though Michelins were on the slightly higher price band as compared to Yokohamas (which is the other brand I was considering), I felt the price differential was well worth it. The upgrade is absolutely safe and tried/tested. You can go for the upgrade without any worries whatsoever.

I would suggest the Michelins from my personal experience, though I have not tried the Perfinzas yet (I hear they are great tires as well). You can't go wrong with either of these options.
Hi Arindam, just wanted to check if you have had any issues in a fully loaded car (5ppl + luggage), some dealers have told me this is an issue with 195/60 and recommended 185/65

Although I can't get my head around it logically as the circumference error is lower in 195/60 than 185/65

You first hand experience will be of great help

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Correct. After upsizing to 195/60R15 Michelin P3ST and ensuring the tyre pressure is maintained, I've not scraped the bottom yet while driving through the horrendous Bangalore roads full of potholes which deserve some Guinness Book of Records like award . This is with at times 4 adult passengers in car.
Thanks Neel
Given Michelins are out of stock, which is the next most recommended brand according to you

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2021 at 09:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts
MoinDanawala is offline  
Old 6th November 2020, 18:58   #415
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 2,315 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoinDanawala View Post
Hi Arindam, just wanted to check if you have had any issues in a fully loaded car (5ppl + luggage), some dealers have told me this is an issue with 195/60 and recommended 185/65
Not at all. I have travelled several thousand kms with 4 adult people plus luggage (on one instance with 5 people plus luggage), and have not faced any issues at all. Ground clearance over bad city roads is quite OK as well, other then really bad speed breakers (I mean real high ones which you might come across once in a while) which one needs to take at dead speeds. Otherwise, there is no issue that I have perceived at all. Have driven close to 14,000 kms with this tire size with no real issues to speak of. You can go ahead and upgrade to 195/60 R15 without any misgivings.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 6th November 2020 at 18:59.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 19:19   #416
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Not at all. I have travelled several thousand kms with 4 adult people plus luggage (on one instance with 5 people plus luggage), and have not faced any issues at all. Ground clearance over bad city roads is quite OK as well, other then really bad speed breakers (I mean real high ones which you might come across once in a while) which one needs to take at dead speeds. Otherwise, there is no issue that I have perceived at all. Have driven close to 14,000 kms with this tire size with no real issues to speak of. You can go ahead and upgrade to 195/60 R15 without any misgivings.
Thanks for the prompt response Arindam

2 quick follow-up questions:

I also read that FE falls from 16kmpl to 14kmpl on highway and 9kmpl to 7kmpl in the city - can you please confirm how much has your car been clocking?

Unfortunately Michelins are out of stock everywhere in Bombay, so I am evaluating other brands - any recommendations?
MoinDanawala is offline  
Old 18th November 2020, 09:41   #417
BHPian
 
car_guy1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: TS10/TS08
Posts: 438
Thanked: 871 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Almost fixed on getting Yokohama Earth-1 195/60R15 for my 2014 Honda City iDTEC as the present tyres,Yokohama S-Drives 195/60R15 has run close to 50K Kms and front two tyres are worn out while rear two tyres are still in good condition though I'll be changing all 4 tyres soon.

Apart from Yokohama Earth-1,which brand tyres are best?Our main criteria is ride and comfort as the car is driven by mulitple people(myself,my parents and driver).
car_guy1998 is offline  
Old 18th November 2020, 09:47   #418
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 2,315 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Apart from Yokohama Earth-1,which brand tyres are best?Our main criteria is ride and comfort as the car is driven by mulitple people(myself,my parents and driver).
Michelin P4ST in the same size is what I am running on my CIty. However, given the shortage of imported tires in the market currently, I am not sure whether Michelins would be readily available. If they are, then these are a good option though in a slightly higher price bracket than the Yokohamas. I was using the Earth-1 on my earlier car, and the comfort and grip upgrade with the Michelins is very palpable.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:54   #419
BHPian
 
car_guy1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: TS10/TS08
Posts: 438
Thanked: 871 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Michelin P4ST in the same size is what I am running on my CIty. However, given the shortage of imported tires in the market currently, I am not sure whether Michelins would be readily available. If they are, then these are a good option though in a slightly higher price bracket than the Yokohamas. I was using the Earth-1 on my earlier car, and the comfort and grip upgrade with the Michelins is very palpable.
But as per recent sources,Michelins are out of stock and are not available anywhere.Even,my dad told me to get the Michelins but I told him politely that Michelins are not available here anymore due to ban of imports here in India due to COVID.

But,sadly,I've to get Yokohamas once again and have Earth-1 on our Innova as well and it has run more than 40,000 Kms and has decent life on it.
car_guy1998 is offline  
Old 18th November 2020, 11:05   #420
BHPian
 
sai_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CBE-BLR-MAS
Posts: 376
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Almost fixed on getting Yokohama Earth-1 195/60R15 for my 2014 Honda City iDTEC as the present tyres,Yokohama S-Drives 195/60R15 has run close to 50K Kms and front two tyres are worn out while rear two tyres are still in good condition though I'll be changing all 4 tyres soon.

Apart from Yokohama Earth-1,which brand tyres are best?Our main criteria is ride and comfort as the car is driven by mulitple people(myself,my parents and driver).
Why not the Continental MC5? Highly rated by folks here and as per the below link, cheaper as well.

https://www.tyremarket.com/Search/Car-Tyres/195-60-R15

I personally avoided the Earth1 after reports of hardening after 20K kms. This was corroborated by a Yoko tyre dealer as well.

Would have have suggested the Perfinza by MRF, but they are priced much higher and availability seems a suspect.

PS:not associated with Tyremarket.com, but am an extremely satisfied customer and have shared my experience elsewhere on the forum as well.
sai_ace is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks