Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2014, 15:32   #91
BHPian

re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Ok. so I have decided. 22nd march is when I get my tyres upsized. Need some additional info though. Mine is a 2011 Honda City V Exclusive which runs on stock 175/65/R15 tyre size. As per the forum, the most preferred upgrade is to 195/60/R15 size. Need help on this:-
  1. Will I need to change my stock rim to accommodate the 195 size tyre? (IGNORE, just got it answered form a post)
  2. One of my office friends said to try the 205. What additional benefit do I get from a 205 size? Also, if I choose to what profile size is recommended for the 205/R15 tyre?
  3. I have narrowed down on the Michelin XM2 Energy as this is the most suitable tyre. However, I would like to be different. How are Pirelli and Yokohama A Drive?
  4. Please recommend a reliable Michelin/Pirelli/Yoko tire dealer in Bangalore.
  5. How reliable are ChangeMyTyre.com? Has anyone used them?
  6. I have 1 brand new 175/65/R15 Goodyear GT tyre, 1 Yoko tyre of the same size(spare) and 3 Michelin XM1#s of the same size clocked about 35k kms. Can someone give me a rough exchange price for all these combined?
Many thanks for your help!

Cheers!
Rohan

Last edited by rjalihal : 13th March 2014 at 15:34. Reason: Just read 4th-gen Honda City: Tyre Upgrade post
Old 13th March 2014, 18:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

Talked to the dealer today regarding the upsize of tyres and it's affect on warranty. He bluntly said it will void the warranty. Now, that's a bummer as my dad won't let me do anything which voids any warranty.
So, I have few questions regarding this.
1. If I stick with the stock tyres can I get aftermarket alloys fitted ? Dealer wasn't sure about its impact on warranty.
2. If I do go for aftermarket alloys with stock tyres what all I need to keep in mind in regards to specifications?
3. In case I do the recommended 195 upsize later will the same aftermarket alloys fit in the new tyres or there will be a need of change of rim?
4. Considering my drive will be 90% within NCR will the stock tyres suffice?

Any help is appreciated.

Also dealer said all SV models are coming with MRF ZVTV and can't be swapped with any other brand at dealer level.
Old 14th March 2014, 09:26   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Talked to the dealer today regarding the upsize of tyres and it's affect on warranty. He bluntly said it will void the warranty. Now, that's a bummer as my dad won't let me do anything which voids any warranty.
So, I have few questions regarding this.
1. If I stick with the stock tyres can I get aftermarket alloys fitted ? Dealer wasn't sure about its impact on warranty.
2. If I do go for aftermarket alloys with stock tyres what all I need to keep in mind in regards to specifications?
3. In case I do the recommended 195 upsize later will the same aftermarket alloys fit in the new tyres or there will be a need of change of rim?
4. Considering my drive will be 90% within NCR will the stock tyres suffice?

Any help is appreciated.

Also dealer said all SV models are coming with MRF ZVTV and can't be swapped with any other brand at dealer level.
Problem is that dealers have no clear idea about what would void warranty. For them, anything that you do not get done with them, voids warranty. Till now, if I'm correct, I'm not aware of anyone complaining about their warranty getting void post tyre upgrade on this forum (including earlier generation Honda). Please correct me if not true.

Also, I'm not sure about your last point. I remember seeing non MRF tyres on SV Diesel variant in Bangalore at the dealer showroom.

1. After market alloys should not void warranty. You'll just have to take it to the shop and I'm sure they'll be able to recommend the alloys that shall fit on Honda with stock tyres

2. Same as above point. I've been doing my rounds for alloys as well and once you give them make/model and rim size, they point you to the right alloys.

3. vsrivatsa can confirm as he had stock alloys and upgraded to 195/60 Michelin XM2 so should be just fine. The same should hold good for after market alloys. Just go to a good shop who is knowledgeable about this.

4. I don't think stock tyres would be a problem for city driving at all. If it's Michelin, it'll be really good. The 195/60 from Michelin will definitely add to the comfort.

Last edited by neel911 : 14th March 2014 at 09:27.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 15:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Problem is that dealers have no clear idea about what would void warranty. For them, anything that you do not get done with them, voids warranty. Till now, if I'm correct, I'm not aware of anyone complaining about their warranty getting void post tyre upgrade on this forum (including earlier generation Honda). Please correct me if not true.
I categorically checked this with multiple Honda dealers - upsizing tires does NOT void warranty.

additional info: the dealer said that as long as a modification doesn't mess with the car's electrical system or change any drivetrain/engine/etc components, it wouldn't void warranty.
Travis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 15:40   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please tell me you plan to upgrade the tyre size as well.

175 mm tyres are simply too skinny for an 1100 kilo car with 117 horses on tap. Even an i20 & Dzire ZXi (with far lower power ratings) are equipped with fatter tyres. The only reason Honda went for this puny rubber size is the ARAI fuel economy rating & cost. Don't let their irresponsible priorities compromise your safety.

The difference of grip levels in one emergency manouveur can be the difference between life & death.

MRF ZVTV.
GTO, you've mentioned elsewhere on this forum that:
"The same size tyre MUST be used on the same axle. Period."

Many people on this thread who are upsizing their tyres, are doing so for only 4 tyres - leaving the spare stock sized @ 175/65

Say one has a flat while running on a highway and has to go on the stock sized spare and drive a significant distance (say 10 - 15 KMs) before finding a tyre repair shop - what (if any) effect/damage can this have on the suspension/drivetrain/transmission of the car?

Would you recommend upsizing all 5 tyres for this reason?
Old 14th March 2014, 21:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
GTO, you've mentioned elsewhere on this forum that:
"The same size tyre MUST be used on the same axle. Period."

Many people on this thread who are upsizing their tyres, are doing so for only 4 tyres - leaving the spare stock sized @ 175/65

Say one has a flat while running on a highway and has to go on the stock sized spare and drive a significant distance (say 10 - 15 KMs) before finding a tyre repair shop - what (if any) effect/damage can this have on the suspension/drivetrain/transmission of the car?

Would you recommend upsizing all 5 tyres for this reason?
Its always recommended to go for all 5 tyres when upgrading. Specially when you're going to upsize it immediately after delivery, I really don't see a reason not to change spare tyre as well as you get a good buy back value that time. The distance from the center of the wheel to base also changes when you upsize (change in GC) so I would always go for all 5 tyres.

Other things to consider is:
- When you go for 5 tyres, you can have rotation of all tyres done(all 5). This way, the car will go for longer distance before they get worn out
- Tyres have a certain lifetime. So even if spare tyre is used as spare only, you may have to change it when you are changing other 4 tyres to be on safe side.
Old 14th March 2014, 22:57   #97
BHPian

Quote:
......... I really don't see a reason not to change spare tyre as well as you get a good buy back value that time. ...........
Some cars don't have enough space to store an up sized spare tire! For a figo, a 195 profile spare tyre wont fit in the well without much protrusion!
Old 15th March 2014, 06:06   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. vsrivatsa can confirm as he had stock alloys and upgraded to 195/60 Michelin XM2 so should be just fine. The same should hold good for after market alloys. Just go to a good shop who is knowledgeable about this.
Yes, the City comes with a 15 x 5.5J which can support the 195/60 R15 size fine. From my experience no one notices these things once you have made the modifications. I went in for 1st Service at Magnum Honda and there were no comments made regarding the tyre change - they only noted down the tyre brand when I left it for service. I guess its mainly a fear induction being carried out by dealers so that people rely on them. And if you ask them (dealers) it will be a long conversation full of warnings and advises

I called Dakshin, Magnum and Whitefield Honda, no one ever confirmed how it effects warranty directly, they only warned and advised not to upsize. One Technical Expert from Whitefield Honda frankly said going to 195/60 is a good move and he dint see any risk from it. I decided to go for the change and did the tyre change right after delivery to the XM2. I cannot comment on how good or bad the MRF ZVTV is since I only drove 5-6 km on it from the showroom to the tyre change center.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 15th March 2014 at 06:10.
Old 18th March 2014, 18:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

What all options in tyres do we have for up sizing to 195/60 R15?
I only know about 2- Michelin Xm1 and Xm2.
I need to check all the options before deciding to choose one.

Also supposing I don't upsize right now and get alloys fitted, then I do the up size after 30k kms or so. Will the same alloys be fitted in the up size tyres?

Last edited by harry10 : 18th March 2014 at 18:45.
Old 18th March 2014, 20:36   #100
BHPian

Quote:

Also supposing I don't upsize right now and get alloys fitted, then I do the up size after 30k kms or so. Will the same alloys be fitted in the up size tyres?
Michelin Primacy 3ST is the other option on premium segment costing maybe on an average 200-300 bucks more than XM2.
Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...hed-india.html

Pirelli and Yokohama have few tyres as well but I would always go with Michelin in this segment. You can check with Nikhilb2008 and he'll give you the right options based on your requirement.

For the alloys, it'll just be fine as long as you stick to specific tyre sizes: 195/60R15 being one of them. To be on safe side, check with the alloy shop as well and I'm sure a good one would be able to guide you well.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 19:13   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

In 195/60-15, XM2 and P3ST are the options from Michelin. Yokohama has the A drive and the V550. MRf has the ZLO. Bridgestone has an MY02 I think or the AR-20. Goodyear has the Assurance. Continental has the CPC2, Pirelli has the P6 I think.

These are the options you have.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 19:26   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Michelin Primacy 3ST is the other option on premium segment costing maybe on an average 200-300 bucks more than XM2.
Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...hed-india.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
In 195/60-15, XM2 and P3ST are the options from Michelin. Yokohama has the A drive and the V550. MRf has the ZLO. Bridgestone has an MY02 I think or the AR-20. Goodyear has the Assurance. Continental has the CPC2, Pirelli has the P6 I think.

These are the options you have.
Thanks.
Out of these I have used Yokohama A drive a couple of years back which were really good.
For the rest let me check out the quotes from dealers and will get back to you with further queries if any regarding these.
Old 20th March 2014, 03:58   #103
BHPian

Well...the day's drawing close.

I'll be taking delivery of my City petrol tomorrow and have ordered 5 Michelin XM2s (195/60s) from Tyreonwheels (read decent reviews about Tyreonwheels on team-bhp AND they're giving the best deal).
Interestingly, they're also the only ones who have 2014 manufactured Michelin tyres available (all other dealers I spoke to had only 2013 manufactured tyres in stock).

Oh, and the car allotted to me has Goodyears on it! (They fetch the lowest buyback price among the stock tyre brands supplied by Honda)
Old 20th March 2014, 08:39   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Well...the day's drawing close.

I'll be taking delivery of my City petrol tomorrow and have ordered 5 Michelin XM2s (195/60s) from Tyreonwheels (read decent reviews about Tyreonwheels on team-bhp AND they're giving the best deal).
Interestingly, they're also the only ones who have 2014 manufactured Michelin tyres available (all other dealers I spoke to had only 2013 manufactured tyres in stock).

Oh, and the car allotted to me has Goodyears on it! (They fetch the lowest buyback price among the stock tyre brands supplied by Honda)
Will TyreOnWheels buy back stock tyres and give same rate what tyre shops would? Also, make sure they have a good Wheel Balancing machine.
Also, regarding the tyre manufacture date, it should be OK if its like December 2013.

I checked their rates earlier and atleast they are pretty similar to what the tyre shops would give if you negotiate.
Old 20th March 2014, 09:24   #105
BHPian

Quote:

One update on the alloys.
There is some mapping of min/max tyre size with respect to alloy width. For Honda City, all alloys will be 100PCD and 4 holes (the ones with 8 holes would also fit but would recommend to go with only the ones that come with 4 holes). The rim width of typical after market alloys are 6 - 6.5J.

I found an old post on this forum which might be useful. Again, this is an old post and I'm not sure if the newer tyres can manage a wider range of alloy width and how that affects handling when taking a sharp turn. Nikhil can confirm if the post below still holds true.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2455265

MODS: Please merge with my earlier post if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks