Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 18:32   #16
BHPian

re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
I was also looking for some information related to the tyre upgrade for the latest City. What is the best upsize size? Will the standard alloys required to be changed for an upsize? Which are the best tyres for city / highway use and broken roads?
The best upsize for the City is 195/60 r15. You may have to change the rim.

The best tyres in that size (according to my preference) are -

1) Yoko A drive / C drive- best all rounder / very comfy and silent

2) Michelin Primacy LC - amazing comfort, silent, very premium but may be prone to punctures, is quite soft.

3) Goodyear Assurance - Good all rounder but not as premium as 1 and 2.

4) Apollo Acelare - Very VFM. Good all rounder.

5) Bridgestone MY2 - Good tyres. Tougher than most premium tyres.
thumpingheart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 19:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
City is being shipped with 4 different types of tires.
1.MRF ZVTV
2.Goodyear GT3
3.Bridgestone B250
4.Michelin XM1+

While 1 comes from the official review, I have seen 2, 3 and 4 on various cars are the dealer. XM1+ is a very decent tire, and one can insist for a car with these.

195/60R15 is the std upsize for the City.
Thanks. So 195/60/R15 will be the best upsize and XM1+ the best tires. Will one need to change the stock alloys or they are compatible with this combination?
Old 18th January 2014, 01:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Thanks. So 195/60/R15 will be the best upsize and XM1+ the best tires. Will one need to change the stock alloys or they are compatible with this combination?
Stock alloys are compatible, no issues.
My suggestion: Insist on getting your car with Michelin tires. Then run them nice and proper. Once they wear out, switch to wider rubber. You pay for the tires when you buy your car. So you might as well make full use of them
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 10:54   #19
BHPian

I too would definitely recommend the same as Shreyans_Jain. Insist on Michelin as stock. Use them and then shift to wider tyres. Wider tyres will void warranty. So better to upsize once warranty period is over. Honda is too strict about it, the most negligible things also void warranty.

If you do not get Michelin as stock change them to Michael XM2 in stock size as soon as you get car delivery. You will get good returns for unused tyres and thus a very good discount on the new tyres.
Old 20th January 2014, 19:26   #20
BHPian

The car will be used primarily for non-spirited city driving by elderly drivers, so I don't really see the need for an upsize unless the OEM's are downright dangerous.

I have upsized the tires on my OEM-II City VTEC though and love them!
Old 21st January 2014, 12:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Wider tyres will void warranty. So better to upsize once warranty period is over. Honda is too strict about it, the most negligible things also void warranty.
Are you sure about this? I have been told by people who own the previous generation City that Honda is actually fine with wider rubber/different alloys and they don't make a fuss about it.
Old 25th January 2014, 13:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am in the same situation - I checked my car in the stock yard and the car allotted to me is fitted with MRF ZVTV. The dealer has refused to make any changes whatsoever. Based on my investigation and quotes from couple of tyre vendors in Bangalore I have got the following quotes for a Tyre exchange:

1. Same Size: Exchange for Michelin XM2 + Wheel Balancing/Alignment + Nitrogen Filling = Rs.12,000
2. Upsize Michelin 185/65R15: Exchange for Michelin XM2 + Wheel Balancing/Alignment + Nitrogen Filling = Rs.13,500

I want to hear from the experts here whether its worth the price difference to make this change now?
Old 25th January 2014, 16:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City : Official Review

Regarding the tyre upsize I spoke to a Technical Service person @Dakshin Honda and he recommended not to upsize but to stick to the same size of tyres as he claims Honda has tested the vehicle thoroughly with that size of tyres and he would not recommend any form of deviation from the spec.
Old 25th January 2014, 16:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Just for my knowledge, who are the major Michelin dealers in Blor, and who offered you the best exchange rate? We are looking at XM 2 as well. Do you know a place for rim swap as well? Thanks in advance.

[quote=vsrivatsa;3353690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Congrats!

Michelin would certainly be an improvement over MRF, if Honda doesn't agree then suggest you do the swap from outside, and upsize to 185 if possible.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I went round BLR and enquired pricing for such a swap. Michelin XM2 same size the best quote I got is an Exchange price of 12,000 for 5 Tyres, Wheel Balancing and Alignment and Nitrogen filling included. Michelin upsize to 185/65R15 would be another 1500 more at 13,500. Is this a good price? What is the impact of upsize from 175 to 185 on mileage of the City?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 01:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Regarding the tyre upsize I spoke to a Technical Service person @Dakshin Honda and he recommended not to upsize but to stick to the same size of tyres as he claims Honda has tested the vehicle thoroughly with that size of tyres and he would not recommend any form of deviation from the spec.
I will take that advice with a pinch of salt. Honda may have tested the stock tyres a lot but that doesn't mean they are the best for the car. Thicker rubber 195s will offer much better grip, braking and stability. I have owned a City with 175s and 195s and i can tell you for a fact that the 195s changed the character of my car. I felt bad for not having done it sooner and denied myself the pleasure of driving. Honda doesn't void any warranty when you change the tyres and i have experienced this over a series of honda ownerships. The standard tyres on the city have been chosen to offer the best possible fuel efficiency and that leads to some compromise in other areas/parameters of performance of the car.
nik_kapur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 07:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Whats the best approach to confirm that an upsize does not affect the warranty? Does the manual mention recommended/allowed tyre range?
Old 26th January 2014, 10:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Whats the best approach to confirm that an upsize does not affect the warranty? Does the manual mention recommended/allowed tyre range?
1. Tyres have manufacturer warranty, same will come with new tyres.
2. Tyre upsize doesn't affect original wiring.
3. Upsize calculators
http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm
http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syn...calculator.htm
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 10:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

I understand that the tyres come with their own warranty. I was referring to the overall warranty on the car from Honda in case of tyre upsize...
Old 26th January 2014, 14:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
1. Tyres have manufacturer warranty, same will come with new tyres.
2. Tyre upsize doesn't affect original wiring.
3. Upsize calculators
http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm
http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syn...calculator.htm
Thanks - when I check on the tyrestore.in website and calculate the percentage comes to 2.14% for the upsize from 175mm to 185mm with other values remaining same. The site says <2% is recommended. That means the 185mm is also a little high?
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 16:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks - when I check on the tyrestore.in website and calculate the percentage comes to 2.14% for the upsize from 175mm to 185mm with other values remaining same. The site says <2% is recommended. That means the 185mm is also a little high?
Keep sidewall height less. 185/60 and 195/60 will work for city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks