Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2015, 22:31   #181
BHPian

re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hey "themonster" !
Happy new year to you as well.

Your research is quite detailed and accurate. But now that you don't plan to change your tyres any time soon, I would say just wait it out. Expect new models to come up and then you'll have more options to choose from.

About changing the spare wheel, you should go ahead with it considering your up sizing by +2. So during a highway run, even if you have to put on the spare, you won't face any issues.

Thanks for your quick reply !!
Actually, I have driven about 20000kms on the present tyre in the last 9 months; hence I felt of being prepared when I need to change my tyre. I dislike the tyres I recieved when i got the car (Goodyear GT3). Absolutely no grip in lose sand and rain; there's quite a bit of understeer in heavy cornering; and there's a lot of road noise. But I can tell that when I needed the tyres the most, they were there for me and didn't give up. (Emergency sudden braking and some emergency manoeuvres)
I not upsizing by +2, just +0; I plan on keeping the OEM alloys.

Plus zero means, the tyre is upsized but the alloys are the same or the same OEM size (in my case 15 inches)
Plus one means, the tyre is upsized along with the alloys by an extra inch (ie, 15 inch alloys/rims to 16 inch alloys/rims)
Plus two means, the tyre is upsized along with the alloys by an extra 2 inches (15 inch alloys/rims to 17 inch alloys/rims)
[Just Mentioned as information, no offense to the information and suggestions that you have]

Vid6639 has explained in detail the various upsizes, their pros and cons on page 4, post #46 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3355693)

Hence, decided to go with 195/60 R15; instead of upsizing the alloys and tyres together. Also, had read in an earlier post in the Honda City 2014 Official Review thread; a member had upgraded his tyres and alloys to 205/55 R16 and he faced a drop in mileage (He runs a Honda city Diesel and said his mileage was about 14-15kmpl, after the upgrade)
themonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 11:50   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
Thanks for your quick reply !!
Actually, I have driven about 20000kms on the present tyre in the last 9 months; hence I felt of being prepared when I need to change my tyre. I dislike the tyres I recieved when i got the car (Goodyear GT3). Absolutely no grip in lose sand and rain; there's quite a bit of understeer in heavy cornering; and there's a lot of road noise. But I can tell that when I needed the tyres the most, they were there for me and didn't give up. (Emergency sudden braking and some emergency manoeuvres)
I not upsizing by +2, just +0; I plan on keeping the OEM alloys.
Hey "themonster"

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't realize that the stock rim size is 15". My bad !

Well if you are unhappy with the current set of tyres then you can change them right away. Safety comes first and tyres are the most crucial aspect of it.
195/60 is perfect for Honda city. Enough grip from the wider tyre and softness from the sidewall height. 205 is an overkill indeed !

Let me know if you need my help in finalizing the tyres.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 12:01   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
My 2009 Honda city stock tyres are due for replacement. The originals were Micheline XM1 175/65 R15. All four running tyres have developed cracks after 5 years and 30k kms. (The spare wheel tyre though is in a very good condition).
I seek the expert advice on the replacement (make/model and size) with following in view:
1. Typical usage in city, with ocassional long distance highway runs. Average kms covered 6k/yr.
2. Typical speed on highways 100-130kph
2. Priorities for tyre selection: A. Safety B. Comfort (ride and noise)
3. Planning to retain the existing spare wheel tyre unchanged.

I need to choose between Micheline and Yoko and then the size (175/65 R 15 or 195/60 R 15).
Hello,

To answer the second part, regarding tyre size, go with 195/60. That's the ideal upgrade for Honda City. Better grip and comfort, fuel efficiency might drop slightly but I guess other Honda City users can provide a better feedback regarding the same.

Now coming to the tyres, your running is quite low and mosty city driving and you've stressed on safety and comfort. Both yoko and michelins are equally good. It's a personal choice honestly. But C drives are hard to find, they used to be imported but that has stopped now. A drives are basic tyres from the Yoko line.
Coming to Michelins, XM2 has a lot of positive feedback from the Team Bhp community. The Primacy 3STs is a newer model. I am using the same on my SX4. I have a detailed review for them on the P3ST thread. You can check that out.

I hope I could help you out a bit.

Regards,
Aston Singh
Old 9th January 2015, 12:36   #184
BHPian

Thank you Aston for the quick response.
I take your advice on the size, i.e. going for 195/60 R15.

However still confused between Micheline XM2 / Yoko AVS db / Yoko A drive.
The price difference between XM2 and Yokos (both) is almost Rs.800/- per piece. Also one of the dealers told me that there are complaints about XM2 treads chipping off after a few months though he assured me that it does not affect the tyre durability or safety. (BTW, though my running is on a lower side, I do tend to go fast, particularly on E-ways, often ~130kmph. So I need to be careful about the tyres).

Also my existing XM1 tyres have developed cracks on treads as well as sidewalls (after 5 yrs, and thats the reason I need to change them ASAP). The dealer assures me that this unlikely to happen on Yokos.

The dealer is pushing me for Yokos.

Any feedback from Yoko users?
Old 9th January 2015, 13:15   #185
BHPian

Attaching pics of the cracks on existing Michelin XM1s.

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo-1.jpg

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo-2.jpg

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo-3.jpg

(Mods, apologies for repeat posts, could not edit the previous one)
Old 9th January 2015, 13:20   #186
BANNED

The most economical will be keep the rims, but use wider tyres. You must ensure that the total wheel diameter matches the older diameter within 5%. The downside is stiffer steering, and a marginally higher consumption.

Anything else requires a rim change.

Remember the tyre you choose can make a big difference. So switching to tyres from Michelin, Pirelli etc. can make a big difference. I remember upgrading the MRFs of my Santro to Bridgestone transformed the car. Remember, due to the manufacturing process for Radials, there is some lubricant on the surface and it is only after 500-800km the real picture emerges.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 13:40   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Aston for the quick response.
I take your advice on the size, i.e. going for 195/60 R15.

However still confused between Micheline XM2 / Yoko AVS db / Yoko A drive.
The price difference between XM2 and Yokos (both) is almost Rs.800/- per piece. Also one of the dealers told me that there are complaints about XM2 treads chipping off after a few months though he assured me that it does not affect the tyre durability or safety. (BTW, though my running is on a lower side, I do tend to go fast, particularly on E-ways, often ~130kmph. So I need to be careful about the tyres).

Also my existing XM1 tyres have developed cracks on treads as well as sidewalls (after 5 yrs, and thats the reason I need to change them ASAP). The dealer assures me that this unlikely to happen on Yokos.

The dealer is pushing me for Yokos.

Any feedback from Yoko users?

Glad I could help

Yoko AVS would be old stock. Imports stopped a year back. I was getting Nov 2013 stock in Nov 2014 ! So you might want to check that.

Dealers have a habit to push certain models considering their margins. I was being pushed for the new Continentals. But I had read a lot on Team Bhp about different models so I didn't pay attention to what these dealers had to offer.

Go with XM2 or P3ST. I can definitely vouch for P3STs. They are expensive but the car feels so much better in all aspects with these new shoes.
Old 9th January 2015, 16:57   #188
BHPian

Does anyone know what is the rim-width of the standard alloys of the V version?

Here's a chart of available XM2s with max and min rim-width per tyre along with other specs:

http://www.michelin.in/tyre/viewall/525

Speed index: http://www.trelleborg.com/en/wheelsy...ed-code-table/
Old 9th January 2015, 19:30   #189
BANNED

The one up (in terms of width only) is Ok even with a smaller rim width. So that is not a big issue. In fact the Austin Allegro ages ago in the UK did it deliberately on the new car.
Old 14th January 2015, 15:58   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Go with XM2 or P3ST. I can definitely vouch for P3STs. They are expensive but the car feels so much better in all aspects with these new shoes.
Thanks once again Aston!
Have opted for P3ST 195/60 R15. Got them at nett price of 22500/ for four tyres, incl. new valves, balancing, alignment, Nitrogen fill, and the old tyres exchange.
Yet to test on a long run. But the difference between the old hardened tyres and new ones is immediately felt even on short distances and city roads.
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:22   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks once again Aston!
Have opted for P3ST 195/60 R15. Got them at nett price of 22500/ for four tyres, incl. new valves, balancing, alignment, Nitrogen fill, and the old tyres exchange.
Yet to test on a long run. But the difference between the old hardened tyres and new ones is immediately felt even on short distances and city roads.
Could you please update your experience with the P3ST? Is there any noticeable difference in FE?
Old 25th February 2015, 16:37   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The one up (in terms of width only) is Ok even with a smaller rim width. So that is not a big issue. In fact the Austin Allegro ages ago in the UK did it deliberately on the new car.
I think for Indian conditions a wider tyre works better in protecting the rim against damage from potholes and kerbs too. The Bridgestone I had intially tore of the first day of my ownership , but the 3st just soaks up everything. It just changed the character of the car. Btw expect a 1kmpl reduction in mileage. As the tyre gets older mileage will get better. The newer tyres have so much traction that you actually feel the loss of acceleration initially. But now it's butter smooth acceleration and ride. Feels like the 3st were made for the new Honda city.
fastraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 13:02   #193
BHPian

I'm going to upgrade to 195/60-R15 P3ST. The dealer quoted me 5900/- each. I'll exchange MRF ZVTV and got a quote of 3400/- each. So I'll have to pay 2500/- for each tyre. I hope the rate is ok. Also, the manufacture date is 2214 which means withing a year right? Will it be okay to go with it? And should I change the spare as well as I'm upsizing the tyre.
Old 10th March 2015, 13:55   #194
BHPian

^^^
The exchange price is good, go for it. Not necessary to change the spare tyre , also u might have issues fitting it in the wheel well.
fastraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 18:53   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I'm going to upgrade to 195/60-R15 P3ST. The dealer quoted me 5900/- each. I'll exchange MRF ZVTV and got a quote of 3400/- each. So I'll have to pay 2500/- for each tyre. I hope the rate is ok. Also, the manufacture date is 2214 which means withing a year right? Will it be okay to go with it? And should I change the spare as well as I'm upsizing the tyre.
I am taking delivery of my City VX early next month. The car is in transit, so don't know the Tyre brand yet. If I change my tyres on day 1 itself, what is the exchange that I can expect for each of the city OEM tyre brands? Is it listed somewhere in this thread already?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks