Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:09   #256

Finally after a lot of research and contemplation I finally got my tyres upgraded yesterday to 195/60/R15 P3STs from Bombay tyres near Dahisar check naka on my ANHC.

I found it to be a tad expensive than all of its competitors (5950 a pop) but reading the reviews of fellow t-bhpians I decided to go for this.

It's very early for me to comment on the tyres as I just drove it back home from there which is around 4 kms max.

However some insight into the process and feedback regarding Bombay Tyres !!
1. When I asked him if there are 4 P3STs (2015) tyres in stock he said yes.
2. But as I moved away from the workshop he tried to put 1 year old tyres (2014)6th week.
3. Then he tried to convince me that it doesn't make any difference. I completely refused and asked him to get current year tyres only. Which he finally did.

Also I had enquired elsewhere regarding my old XM1s , how much will it fetch me the quote I got was between 400-500 min for each.

These guys said I'll get Rs 500 for all 4 tyres. So I took them along.

Anyways I am much too happy getting some new rubber. The initial impression is just great - super grip , increased steering feel, silent and slight increase in GC.

Will post detailed feedback after some kms, might help others in similar dilemma like me. !!

Thank you all for your guidance , keep revvin !!!
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:56   #257

That's abt good Nishit..

Well I hav contacted the Michelin's abt my dilemma and the tech guy would be coming over in a couple of days to figure out the issue with my drive.
Hoping to see some positive outcomes and will post as to what has been advised with time..
Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 13:44   #258

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

A tyre dealer has told me that he had fit 195/60 R15 in a couple of Honda City and got complaints that the tyre touched in tyre-arch when 4-5 people sitting in the back due to the soft suspension... Also, it's very heavy according to him (7kg. His recommendation of 185/60 R15 where I stand to lose 3mm ground clearance but is a better choice than 195/60 R15 according to him. While I agree every tyre dealer has their preferences based on commercial or non commercial reasons, this guy seemed to have known these tyres well as he was telling the weights of each tyre accurately (also saying 195 is too heavy compared to 175).. So I'm not just throwing his comment off.

Comments ?
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:29   #259
BHPian

hey guys I am looking for a tyre change for my 3rd gen City. I have read the comments on this post and I believe I should go with Michelin XM2 as it seems to be a good choice. After doing rounds of about 4-5 shops, one of them said that Michelin's wouldn't offer a good performance on bad roads as compared to Bridgestone B290. Also, the B290 costs 4600/- and the XM2 5150/-. These are the prices for 175/65 R15. The price for the Conti's was 4800/- and Yokohama was 4600/-(don't know the model name of both).

Another concern that I had was should I upgrade to 185/60 while keeping the MRF one which is 175/65 as a spare? The tyre's in good nick so wanted to know. Not sure if any dealers in Pune or PCMC area would exchange the MRF one.

Any other options are also welcome. My requirement is low noise and good performance overall.
Old 4th October 2015, 19:37   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
hey guys I am looking for a tyre change for my 3rd gen City. I have read the comments on this post and I believe I should go with Michelin XM2 as it seems to be a good choice. After doing rounds of about 4-5 shops, one of them said that Michelin's wouldn't offer a good performance on bad roads as compared to Bridgestone B290. Also, the B290 costs 4600/- and the XM2 5150/-. These are the prices for 175/65 R15. The price for the Conti's was 4800/- and Yokohama was 4600/-(don't know the model name of both).

Another concern that I had was should I upgrade to 185/60 while keeping the MRF one which is 175/65 as a spare? The tyre's in good nick so wanted to know. Not sure if any dealers in Pune or PCMC area would exchange the MRF one.

Any other options are also welcome. My requirement is low noise and good performance overall.
Also, just to add to my earlier question I wanted to know if I can go with 195/60-15 and swap all 5. The suspension on my car is a bit hard, guess the added weight of the 195 section tyre would help it in a way.

Appreciate your help.

PS: I was not able to edit my earlier question, hence I quoted it myself.
Old 5th October 2015, 15:11   #261

Folks,

My friend has a City VX. I just checked his owner's manual.

Only for petrol models, the specifications section (in the chapter named Information) mentions tyre size as two options:

175/65 R 15 84 T
185/55 R 16 83 H

Again, only for petrol models, the wheel size is mentioned as:
15 x 5.5J (175/65 R 15)
16 x 6J (185/55 R 16)

To me that says it's within warranty to go for the second option for the petrol models.

Curiously though for diesel models, the only option shown is 175/65 R 15, wheel size 15.5J.

Regards,

srideep233.
Old 6th October 2015, 14:47   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdatta View Post
A tyre dealer has told me that he had fit 195/60 R15 in a couple of Honda City and got complaints that the tyre touched in tyre-arch when 4-5 people sitting in the back due to the soft suspension... Also, it's very heavy according to him (7kg. His recommendation of 185/60 R15 where I stand to lose 3mm ground clearance but is a better choice than 195/60 R15 according to him. While I agree every tyre dealer has their preferences based on commercial or non commercial reasons, this guy seemed to have known these tyres well as he was telling the weights of each tyre accurately (also saying 195 is too heavy compared to 175).. So I'm not just throwing his comment off.

Comments ?
If you are thinking about mileage, weight and all, its better to stick to stock. If you think of performance and grip 195/60 is best. And Honda city is a powerful car, you need not worry about weight of tyre..
Old 6th October 2015, 16:04   #263

I am not worrying about mileage but worrying about any negative effect on suspension or the ride for the above said reasons (by the tyre dealer)
Old 30th October 2015, 09:43   #264

Guys,

I am about to take delivery of Honda City and seriously considering to upgrade tires to Michelin XM2 195/60/15. I called up a couple of tire guys in and around HSR, Bangalore and they are quoting around 1700-1900 for OEM tire buy back which seems very less to me. I think reasonable buyback price for michelin 175/65/15 is around 2700-3000, correct?

If someone knows any tire dealer which offers reasonable buyback price in HSR-Marthahalli belt, bangalore, please let me know.

Thanks in Adv!
Old 30th November 2015, 00:58   #265
BHPian

How is Bridgestone TURANZA AR20 (195/60/R15) compared to Michelin P3ST for same size...
Old 15th December 2015, 13:21   #266
BHPian

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
Yes Travis, I did upgrade from stock to 195's.
I don't think 3ST's come in 175's?
Hi Skyliner
I see that you have put an awesome momo revenge recently on your 3rd Gen HC. But when you did upgrade from stock to 195/60 R15, were you on steel wheels or alloys? I am asking this because i have up sized from stock to 195 60 R15 without going for alloys and staying on steel wheels. Am just curious whether this causes any issue? I know not from rim width perspective as it is 5.5J which can fit in 195s, but i am concerned from FE and Steering stiffness pov.
Old 15th December 2015, 14:12   #267

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueManR View Post
Hi Skyliner
I see that you have put an awesome momo revenge recently on your 3rd Gen HC. But when you did upgrade from stock to 195/60 R15, were you on steel wheels or alloys? I am asking this because i have up sized from stock to 195 60 R15 without going for alloys and staying on steel wheels. Am just curious whether this causes any issue? I know not from rim width perspective as it is 5.5J which can fit in 195s, but i am concerned from FE and Steering stiffness pov.
Hello TorqueManR,
I was on OEM alloys when I upgraded to 195's which were 5.5J, with momo's I'm running 6.5J.
There is absolutely no issues running 5.5J with 195's, I did ~15k kms with that setup, I purely upgraded for stance
Regarding steering stiffness, I do not notice any difference, in fact I feel it's become lighter and FE variation is negligible, I used to get ~12 earlier and now ~11-11.5 and sometimes 12.
Old 23rd December 2015, 06:07   #268
BHPian

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Due to this, the tyres marginally protrude outside the wheel arch/body. During rainy days, the front tyres end up splashing the entire side body. .

By now you've gone through two rainy seasons with the Michelin XM2s. Do you still recommend replacement? I'm getting delivery of SV CVT and was seriously contemplating upgrade until coming across this post.

I've also noticed that you mentioned spare wheel does not fit in its bay with the floor raised a bit. Has it caused any damage to the spare wheel?

I suspect one of the reasons why Honda chose 175mm instead of 195 for Indian roads could be this (amongst other local variables and of course cost cutting)

Please share your valuable inputs.

Last edited by TMRT : 23rd December 2015 at 06:13.
Old 26th December 2015, 10:39   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
By now you've gone through two rainy seasons with the Michelin XM2s. Do you still recommend replacement? I'm getting delivery of SV CVT and was seriously contemplating upgrade until coming across this post.

I've also noticed that you mentioned spare wheel does not fit in its bay with the floor raised a bit. Has it caused any damage to the spare wheel?

I suspect one of the reasons why Honda chose 175mm instead of 195 for Indian roads could be this (amongst other local variables and of course cost cutting)

Please share your valuable inputs.
I am personally very happy with the upgrade. The tyres are silent and the grip and comfort is excellent. I feel much more confident driving the car at high speeds on highway. You also get an added benefit of better ground clearance. The rain water slush does get onto the body sides easily but I have procured good cleaning gear to take care of it. I do plan to change the rain guard for front tyres to help on this but haven't got a chance to do so yet.

Regarding the tyre raising the boot lid a bit, it is true but I checked on this and this is nothing to worry about. Diameter wise it fits fine. It is the extra width which raises the board a bit. Hope this helps.
Old 30th December 2015, 04:22   #270
BHPian

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I'm considering Honda Genuine alloys on SVT. The list price is 36k. The accessories sales person says it is better than the one that comes with VX variant. The one from accessory shop is a 5 hole 10 spoke as opposed to the one on VX. Don't understand the technicalities of having more spokes although interested in knowing why it's better. I also have the option from dealer to go for the non Honda one for 30k. I believe it's a Neo.

Last edited by TMRT : 30th December 2015 at 04:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks