Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 12:05   #271
BHPian

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Is there any technical difference between these two alloys? The second one was displayed on a Mobilio (bit Grayish with 6 spokes and more number of holes but looks nicer). Honda is proposing on City?

Some members have expressed concerns over more or less number of holes. Please note both of these are from Honda Genuine. The second one with more holes is displayed on a Mobilio and the technician confirmed it will suit on a City too.

Name:  alloy1.png
Views: 11261
Size:  159.3 KB

Attachment 1456827

As far as looks are concerned I am game with the one on Mobilio. The one in first PDF is what City would normally be equipped with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf alloy1.pdf (32.1 KB, 644 views)

Last edited by TMRT : 5th January 2016 at 12:14.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:25   #272

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Is there any technical difference between these two alloys? The second one was displayed on a Mobilio (bit Grayish with 6 spokes and more number of holes but looks nicer). Honda is proposing on City?

Some members have expressed concerns over more or less number of holes. Please note both of these are from Honda Genuine. The second one with more holes is displayed on a Mobilio and the technician confirmed it will suit on a City too.

Attachment 1456829

Attachment 1456827

As far as looks are concerned I am game with the one on Mobilio. The one in first PDF is what City would normally be equipped with.
As long as the alloy is 4 hole 100 PCD, it will fit, and I believe Mobilio too has the same configuration. Some alloys do support multiple PCD's and hence you see more holes.
skyliner34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 14:47   #273
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2 JANZ View Post
Guys,

I am about to take delivery of Honda City and seriously considering to upgrade tires to Michelin XM2 195/60/15. I called up a couple of tire guys in and around HSR, Bangalore and they are quoting around 1700-1900 for OEM tire buy back which seems very less to me. I think reasonable buyback price for michelin 175/65/15 is around 2700-3000, correct?

If someone knows any tire dealer which offers reasonable buyback price in HSR-Marthahalli belt, bangalore, please let me know.

Thanks in Adv!
That is way too low; I also exchanged all 5 tyres on day 0 from a tyre shop in Mumbai. Upgraded to XM2, the differential cost was only Rs 1400/ tyre after exchanging the stock MRFs (total Rs 7000)
Old 29th January 2016, 17:29   #274
BHPian

Hello guys, I just came across this thread and I can definitely provide some input for those wanting to upgrade. I bought my Honda City S-MT way back in November 2010 and soon after the deliver upgraded my tyres to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15. I have only benefited from the upgrade in terms of better grip, lower tyre noise, increase in ground clearance and not to mention, the longevity of the tyres. I have now completed 54800 kms and I still have at least 3000 kms more on those tyres.

Please see the pictures below. The picture below is when i installed the new tyres way back in 2010

and how it looks now in 2016.

If you are interested, i had written a detailed ownership thread in 2010 and the link is

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...city-s-mt.html

Hope this helps.
FireBug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 10:23   #275
BHPian

Question to those who have upgraded their Honda City's from stock size to 195/60 R15.
Do you fill air to the same pressure recommended by Honda? Query is more for the front tyres as i feel that with the increased size the tyres should be filled with more air.
I have done the upgrade but the front tyres seem to be spreading out a bit too much than I would like!
Old 16th February 2016, 10:30   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
Hello guys, I just came across this thread and I can definitely provide some input for those wanting to upgrade. I bought my Honda City S-MT way back in November 2010 and soon after the deliver upgraded my tyres to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15. I have only benefited from the upgrade in terms of better grip, lower tyre noise, increase in ground clearance and not to mention, the longevity of the tyres. I have now completed 54800 kms and I still have at least 3000 kms more on those tyres.

Please see the pictures below. The picture below is when i installed the new tyres way back in 2010

If you are interested, i had written a detailed ownership thread in 2010 and the link is

Hope this helps.
Usually with such old tyres you would see hairline cracks appearing on the side wall.. I've stock Michelin XM1 on my 2009 Honda City. The hairline cracks are quite profound & I will be getting newer tyres soon. Michelin XM1 had very soft rubber which may be the reason for such cracks.

I am not able to see any hairline cracks in your tyres. Did you used any thing specific for those tyres.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th August 2016 at 08:31. Reason: Removing pics from the quoted post.
Old 21st February 2016, 19:00   #277
BHPian

Hello Listfolk

I have just booked the ANHC SV-CVT for my wife, during the run up to choosing the car, 2 dealers Whitefield Honda and Magnum Honda have told me that upgrading to 195 section tyres will not void warranty.

Finally went with Magnum Honda as they have the color my wife likes ( Urban Titanium) in stock,

Now based on the older conversation in the list I have decided to upgrade the tyres to Michelin P3ST 195/60 R15.

My question is do I need to upgrade the Rims to Alloys as well, any pros and cons?

Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 00:46   #278
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman77 View Post
Hello Listfolk

I have just booked the ANHC SV-CVT for my wife, during the run up to choosing the car, 2 dealers Whitefield Honda and Magnum Honda have told me that upgrading to 195 section tyres will not void warranty.

Finally went with Magnum Honda as they have the color my wife likes ( Urban Titanium) in stock,

Now based on the older conversation in the list I have decided to upgrade the tyres to Michelin P3ST 195/60 R15.

My question is do I need to upgrade the Rims to Alloys as well, any pros and cons?

Thanks
I didn't upgrade my rims since I was on a budget and basically wanted only a tyre upgrade. Got the work done from Saifee tyres. Post the upgrade I notice that air escapes these tyres much faster than the ones I had in my old Baleno. Checked for punctures but found none. Air is escaping from all tyres at the same rate. Like in 2 weeks, the pressure in all tyres drops by around 8 psi. Maybe a fault in the rims or tyres but not sure. I have purchased an air inflator recently to keep the tyres topped up. If anyone has any idea about where the problem could lie, please let me know.
Old 10th April 2016, 13:09   #279

My Honda City 2011 had the Michelin XM1 175 as stock and I did not think the need to upsize/ upgrade on delivery. (Batch of Dec 2010 so they were almost 5.5 years old)

Recently though, my car developed some squirrelling under braking which was more pronounced during hard braking (for speed breakers that pop up suddenly on Indian roads).

I called the service center and mentioned this troublesome behaviour to the supervisor who just went on about changing of tyres and how not doing the change can lead to bearings being shot and then the suspension giving in blah blah blah...

Bit of background: I had earlier changed my stock Swift typres (JK Tyres) to Michelin XM1 (upsized thanks to team-bhp) and was so happy with the resulting change, so I decided to get new shoes immediately. After going through this thread and my budget constraints, I headed to my trusted tyre dealer (Gautam from Tyre Arena - this guy is cool) with XM2 and the 195 upsize in my mind.

After reaching though, I asked him about Primacy 3 ST and he quoted INR 200/ tyre more from XM2 which was around 5700 INR. I found that acceptable and decided to go with P3ST instead. These tyres have really good reviews on team-bhp as well as other websites, mostly getting 5/5. I was lucky enough to get a batch of 0716 after Gautam had commented about having only 2015 stock on the P3Sts. The total came to INR 25000/- (23600 for tyres, remaining for wheel balancing, alignment and nitrogen filling). I retained the spare tyre (hardly used) as the stock 175 on Steel rim. Maybe I will think about changing it later when I have the budget.

I've driven about 40KM before writing my early experience here:
The car feels more premium: Those skinny 175s made the steering light and the car jumpy (I have the auto transmission and iVTEC and love to press the pedal for those traffic lights). With the 195s the car feel sedate and there is a certain drop in the jerky acceleration, thus making it feel more grounded.

Noise: I did not notice much difference here, maybe because Hyderabad roads are in transition due to the metro construction, the unevenly laid roads did produce some noise, however, the car did feel smoother where I found smooth unbroken tarmac. Cabin noise in the middle of summer with AC on full blast cannot be judged well, so I will come back to give an update. There was another person on this thread that mentioned that there is a certain noise that gets generated on these tyres when the car goes over new road joining old road. This is happening on my car as well. There is a distinct 'thud' when I pass over such sections. Any suggestions? Should I reduce the air pressure? Or get some tweak done on wheel?

Ride Height: The car rides higher and the scraping only happens on the most awkwardly designed unauthorized speed breakers (lots of those in Hyderabad )

Rolling Resistance: I love the low rolling resistance of these tyres, they are not as pronounced as the XM2 but compared to my older XM1s, they do make me brake more.

With new tyres, we all know how carefully we drive. I am enjoying that honeymoon period now. Will update my experience further, maybe a drive on the ORR at 120 KMPH (official speed limit ) will provide some insights on performance. (I only reached 80 KMPH in those 40KM yesterday)
Old 18th April 2016, 23:33   #280
KYG

I am in this same boat too. Its quite funny, of late, how I find myself looking at tyres and trying to asses the sizing, often not really noticing the car itself anymore. I guess that's what happens when your own ride needs some new shoes and there are so many good options available. Every manufacturer markets their tyre as the best this, that, what have you not and all the leading manufactures seems to spend a fair few million a year on r&d, marketing, racing to prove their worth. Completely understandable, but its really quite hard to put together "what's best for me".

I've narrowed down my selection to these:

- Continental: Comfort Contact (CC5)
- Yokohama: Earth-1
- Michelin: XM2

If anyone got anything got anything particularly good or bad to say about these, then pls shout out. Otherwise I suppose its the luck of the draw for me and I'll pick one from a hat for my ride. At this point I have no better more "scientific" rational way to decide.
Old 4th May 2016, 13:17   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post

Hope this helps.
Hey,

Thank you for the pics.

If you wouldn't mind, can you take a few more pics?

Specifically, I wanted to know if the tyre side wall protrudes out more than the vehicle body in the front and rear? If possible, please take a side view.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th August 2016 at 08:32. Reason: Removing pics from the quoted post.
Old 13th July 2016, 11:40   #282

Hi Folks,

I am planning to upgrade my Honda City 2015 tyres from the standard MRF 175s to Michelin 195s 3ST mainly because of tyre noise + grip + GC. I had a few questions before I actually make the purchase:
1) Has anyone bought the upsize for the spare wheel? Does it fit properly in the boot?
2) After the change has anyone noticed problems like bumpier ride, more jerks filtering into the cabin, stiffer steering? I went through the thread and I did see a few posts around that.
3) Does the suspension bottom out more frequently now after the upgrade? (Logically I think it would because of bigger tyres)
4) Any changes to the alloys required ? (Apart from the design of course ) ?
5) Is there a noticeable decrease in the road noise after upgrading to Michelin 3ST?

Thanks,
Namit

Last edited by manson : 28th February 2017 at 21:09. Reason: Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars.
Old 17th July 2016, 19:32   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusioN View Post
That's abt good Nishit..

Well I hav contacted the Michelin's abt my dilemma and the tech guy would be coming over in a couple of days to figure out the issue with my drive.
Hoping to see some positive outcomes and will post as to what has been advised with time..
Thanks
Hi Fusion,

Did you manage to find out the problem ? I am planning to upgrade to Michelin 195 as well on my AHNC. Before the upgrade I wanted to double check.

Thanks,
Namit
Old 10th August 2016, 08:04   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by namitkumar31 View Post
Hi Folks,

I am planning to upgrade my HC 2015 tyres from the standard MRF 175s to Michelin 195s 3ST mainly because of tyre noise + grip + GC. I had a few questions before I actually make the purchase:
1) Has anyone bought the upsize for the spare wheel ? Does it fit properly in the boot ?
2) After the change has anyone noticed problems like bumpier ride , more jerks filtering into the cabin , stiffer steering ? I went through the thread and I did see a few posts around that.
3) Does the suspension bottom out more frequently now after the upgrade ? ( Logically I think it would because of bigger tyres )
4) Any changes to the alloys required ? ( Apart from the design of course ) ?
5) Is there a noticeable decrease in the road noise after upgrading to Michelin 3ST ?

Thanks,
Namit
Hi Guys,

( Bumping the question )

Any inputs ? I am especially interested in the 3rd question.

Thanks,
Namit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I didn't upgrade my rims since I was on a budget and basically wanted only a tyre upgrade. Got the work done from Saifee tyres. Post the upgrade I notice that air escapes these tyres much faster than the ones I had in my old Baleno. Checked for punctures but found none. Air is escaping from all tyres at the same rate. Like in 2 weeks, the pressure in all tyres drops by around 8 psi. Maybe a fault in the rims or tyres but not sure. I have purchased an air inflator recently to keep the tyres topped up. If anyone has any idea about where the problem could lie, please let me know.
Hi mxh,

I see that you upgraded to Michelins 195 on the AHNC. Do you face any issues such as the ride quality being bumpier and suspension bottoming out easily ?

Thanks,
Namit

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2016 at 08:26. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 10th August 2016, 09:00   #285
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namitkumar31 View Post
Hi Folks,

I am planning to upgrade my HC 2015 tyres from the standard MRF 175s to Michelin 195s 3ST mainly because of tyre noise + grip + GC. I had a few questions before I actually make the purchase:
1) Has anyone bought the upsize for the spare wheel ? Does it fit properly in the boot ?
2) After the change has anyone noticed problems like bumpier ride , more jerks filtering into the cabin , stiffer steering ? I went through the thread and I did see a few posts around that.
3) Does the suspension bottom out more frequently now after the upgrade ? ( Logically I think it would because of bigger tyres )
4) Any changes to the alloys required ? ( Apart from the design of course ) ?
5) Is there a noticeable decrease in the road noise after upgrading to Michelin 3ST ?

Thanks,
Namit
1)Yes. spare with 195 can be fitted inside.
2)Depends upon the tyres and manufacturer. 195 will make the steering a bit stiffer but you wont notice in EPS.
3)Tyres have no relation with suspension. Changing tyres will not affect your suspension travel.
4)What changes can you make to the alloy wheel ?
5)Yes. Road noise decreases with 195. They are silent.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks