Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2018, 20:46   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
ZX.
Firstly, Tyre Empire said that Bridgestone is the only company that supplies the existing size, so no XM2s available. So I'd have to upsize to upgrade, it seems.
It's a very odd size they are providing with the car, that's true. You will hardly find any options in the market.

Quote:
Say I did get the existing size from another brand, would it yield a noticeable difference? My family is now questioning whether we'll actually be in such situations that require this additional investment. Currently, expected usage is 90% City runs and 10% highway runs, and I don't have a heavy foot as of now.
Difference in brands does bring in noticeable difference specially with regards to tyre noise. Grip and ride are debatable in city traffic, but areas like wet grip does matter. Secondly, you dont need a heavy foot. Heavy foot with lead to acceleration, but with a light foot you can go 100 on ORR if you find it empty. But like I said it's debatable. I do a lot of highway runs and for me tyres are the first line of defense, then brakes, then seat belts, then airbags.

Quote:
The quote I was given was over 9k per tyre, and a buyback of 2.5k per tyre, and that's excluding alignment and balancing. I was appalled!
Thats way too much. Yoko Earth1s are available around the 6k mark and are pretty good tyres as well i.e 195/55r16. But this upsize is of minimal use in my opinion. 205/55/R16 is better but the warranty issue is there.

Quote:
By natural upsize, do you mean that higher variants of the City sport this tyre? I already will have the highest variant so how does one go about with higher, is the question.
No no, anyone who changes tyres for their cars, they generally move to this size since the 175s are too narrow. Previously all variants came with 175s.
Old 8th March 2018, 11:13   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
That's way too much. Yoko Earth1s are available around the 6k mark and are pretty good tyres as well i.e 195/55r16. But this upsize is of minimal use in my opinion. 205/55/R16 is better but the warranty issue is there.
I'll look at the Earth1 in 195/55 R16 then, though it's heavier. My priorities are safety and durability given our poor roads. The use of this upsize would be an increase in GC by 5.5 mm overall, which is beneficial considering Bangalore roads and speedbreakers. 205/55 has that warranty issue you mentioned as it'll be evidently bigger. Furthermore, the circumference difference is way over the recommended 2%. 205/50 R16 would yield a difference of only 0.25% but at the cost of lesser sidewall ratio (overall GC still increases by 0.75mm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
No no, anyone who changes tyres for their cars, they generally move to this size since the 175s are too narrow. Previously all variants came with 175s.
Now, the VX and ZX come with 185/55 R16, so the question is how far Honda will support my upgrade endeavour. If you know a good Service Advisor, let me know.

Here are my options, in decreasing order of priority:
Plan A - XM2, if I get a good deal
Plan B - Earth1
Plan C - Retain the Ecopia, be a nimble driver and not unleash the VTEC in questionable conditions.
Old 1st April 2018, 01:53   #348

Anyone using Yokohoma S drive 205/55/R15 radials on stock alloys? Any feedback? Also experts take?
k_vijay12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 16:05   #349
BHPian

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My 2014 City's stock tyres have completed 50k (XM1)s.

I'm considering to upgrade to 195/60 R16, probably the Michelin P3STs. However BK tyres in lajpat nagar say that the size isn't compatible with the car. They believe there maybe sidewall rubbing. Is this true ?

Another option is 195/55 R16. They come in with Continental MC5s. He says there should be no compatibility issues for this size.

My main concern is that I do not want to loose the current GC or even the load capacity the vehicle has. Sometimes it may have to carry 5 adults and a trunk filled with luggage.

I hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers.
Old 29th April 2018, 17:58   #350
BHPian

Hey Guys,
My stock B250's have completed 44k in 2.5 years and looking almost bald because of Long highway runs on cement roads. I am planning to upgrade/upsize tyres and my priorities are low tyre noise,good riding comfort and good tyre life on cement roads.
Can you guys suggest some silent,comfy and decent lasting (55K-60K)tyres for highway runs?
Old 9th May 2018, 19:30   #351
BHPian

Dear all

I would be soon booking Honda City VMT Petrol. Please tell me where I could get my tyres changed to 195/60 R15 in Gurgaon and how much I would get for OEM tyres of my new car ?

Last edited by navin : 10th May 2018 at 14:51. Reason: typo
Old 24th July 2018, 01:04   #352
Senior - BHPian

I am just getting a Honda City and often travel on not so great roads. I know its technically incorrect, but has anyone used 195/65 R 15 on the Honda City? Will the sidewalls rub on the car?
Old 20th August 2018, 09:31   #353
BHPian

My friend is planning to upsize the tyres on the Honda City VX. I suggested him to upgrade from the stock tyres 185/55 R16 Bridestone Ecopia EP150 to 205/50 R16 Michelin Pilot Sport 4. He is about to take the delivery of the car. Should we go for it?
Old 21st August 2018, 21:56   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraj.515 View Post
My friend is planning to upsize the tyres on the Honda City VX. I suggested him to upgrade from the stock tyres 185/55 R16 Bridestone Ecopia EP150 to 205/50 R16 Michelin Pilot Sport 4. He is about to take the delivery of the car. Should we go for it?
I would highly discourage it. Try 195/55 R16. My setup with this size still sees the tyres poking from the fenders which is not a pleasant sight for the eyes.

Aesthetically Honda undersizing the tyres means less width for the fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I am just getting a Honda City and often travel on not so great roads. I know its technically incorrect, but has anyone used 195/65 R 15 on the Honda City? Will the sidewalls rub on the car?
Avoid it cause you will face sidewall rubbing. This is being spoken from experience. Try 195/55 R16 instead.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st August 2018 at 21:59. Reason: See note in post
Old 26th September 2018, 15:09   #355

Dear All,

First post disclaimer!!!

We have a Jan 2015 Honda City with Bridgestones as the stock tyres. Very recently one of the tyres bust and as per two of the car dealers, the cut is quite big and beyond repair.

The spare tyre already had a similar problem and was to be used sparingly. The car has run around 29,000 kms to date in around four years. With one long highway drive every year on average (1000 kms+). The car is mostly driven by wifey and do not want to have issues of regular punctures etc.

Couple of questions
1. With this amount of driving does it make sense to upsize? If yes, would be really grateful if people who have upsized to 195/60/15 share their experience. One of the dealers mentioned that there is no use going for 185/60/15 since it reduces GC and was fine to upsize to 195/60/15. The other dealer mentioned that for 195/60/15 he will not take any responsibility in case of wrongful fitting, any problems while turning, going over bumps etc. People who have upsized to 195/60/15 have faced any such issues?
2. Which brand to buy? I have recently upgraded my tyres for my other car Punto to Yokohama from earlier Bridgestone and found them to be much better with less noise and better comfort. The road condition in Ahmedabad is better than most places but there are still lot of potholes and thus I am a little hesitant to put Michelins. One of the dealers is pushing for Ecopia to get more mileage.
3. If I do not upsize I plan to buy the same B250's; put two new ones in the front, retire both the damaged tyres and put the 3rd good tyre as a spare.
4. What is the buy back that I can expect to get from my current Bridgestone's? The first dealer quoted 400 - 500 while the second one said that they will tell me only when there used car buyer comes and looks at it first hand once the tyres are off. No indication can be given till that time.
5. I am in Ahmedabad, so any specific help related to genuine tyre shops will be really helpful.

Cheers!!!
Old 26th September 2018, 22:07   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carate_Kid View Post
Dear All,

First post disclaimer!!!

We have a Jan 2015 Honda City with Bridgestones as the stock tyres. Very recently one of the tyres bust and as per two of the car dealers, the cut is quite big and beyond repair.

The spare tyre already had a similar problem and was to be used sparingly. The car has run around 29,000 kms to date in around four years. With one long highway drive every year on average (1000 kms+). The car is mostly driven by wifey and do not want to have issues of regular punctures etc.
Sounds like a faulty lot of tyres

Couple of questions
1. With this amount of driving does it make sense to upsize? If yes, would be really grateful if people who have upsized to 195/60/15 share their experience. One of the dealers mentioned that there is no use going for 185/60/15 since it reduces GC and was fine to upsize to 195/60/15. The other dealer mentioned that for 195/60/15 he will not take any responsibility in case of wrongful fitting, any problems while turning, going over bumps etc. People who have upsized to 195/60/15 have faced any such issues?
Absolutely no issues with upsizing to 195/60/15 - I did so 6-8 months ago and the car runs wonderfully better than before when it was on stock size. No scraping and a good change over GC as the flex has also reduced due to the thinner sidewall.
2. Which brand to buy? I have recently upgraded my tyres for my other car Punto to Yokohama from earlier Bridgestone and found them to be much better with less noise and better comfort. The road condition in Ahmedabad is better than most places but there are still lot of potholes and thus I am a little hesitant to put Michelins. One of the dealers is pushing for Ecopia to get more mileage.
You don't drive much, don't spend on Michelins I tell you. Get Yoko Earth 1s - pretty decent and VFM.
3. If I do not upsize I plan to buy the same B250's; put two new ones in the front, retire both the damaged tyres and put the 3rd good tyre as a spare.
Can do. Your call.
4. What is the buy back that I can expect to get from my current Bridgestone's? The first dealer quoted 400 - 500 while the second one said that they will tell me only when there used car buyer comes and looks at it first hand once the tyres are off. No indication can be given till that time.
5. I am in Ahmedabad, so any specific help related to genuine tyre shops will be really helpful.

Cheers!!!
Tried to help; see my answers in BOLD.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 19:36   #357
Geo
BHPian

Hey All,
I have a 2014 City SV. Planning to go for a tyre replacement and upsize to 195/60R15. Was running on stock so far. Has anybody done this upgrade in Bangalore recently? Which is the best deal you got? Any pointers?
Old 1st October 2018, 20:08   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Tried to help; see my answers in BOLD.
Quick question for you, and for others who've upgraded to 195/60/15:

I've almost made up my mind to go for Continental MC5 in 195/60/15 for my 2014 VMT petrol, however I've read some feedback online that with the bigger and heavier tyres, acceleration and pick-up seems to drop fairly noticeably, even though the overall planted feeling improves quite a bit.

This one potential con is making me hold off on this upgrade a bit, would've done it long back otherwise.

Could you advise based on your personal experience?

Thanks,
Parth
Old 1st October 2018, 20:11   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM6James View Post
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My 2014 City's stock tyres have completed 50k (XM1)s.

I'm considering to upgrade to 195/60 R16, probably the Michelin P3STs. However BK tyres in lajpat nagar say that the size isn't compatible with the car. They believe there maybe sidewall rubbing. Is this true ?

Another option is 195/55 R16. They come in with Continental MC5s. He says there should be no compatibility issues for this size.

My main concern is that I do not want to loose the current GC or even the load capacity the vehicle has. Sometimes it may have to carry 5 adults and a trunk filled with luggage.

I hope you guys can help me out.

Cheers.
I got the P3STs on my 2009 Honda City a couple of years ago and also on my Vento 4 years ago. I got the 195/60 R15s. They were absolutely fantastic. Great grip and low road noise. If this size is still available, I'd suggest you don't look beyond these tyres. They last long and do a great job.
Old 1st October 2018, 23:14   #360
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Quick question for you, and for others who've upgraded to 195/60/15:

I've almost made up my mind to go for Continental MC5 in 195/60/15 for my 2014 VMT petrol, however I've read some feedback online that with the bigger and heavier tyres, acceleration and pick-up seems to drop fairly noticeably, even though the overall planted feeling improves quite a bit.

This one potential con is making me hold off on this upgrade a bit,

Thanks,
Parth
We are considering a 100+ bhp car here. The bigger tyres (195/60/15) won’t make much changes in acceleration and pickup. I have upgraded to 195 section Michelin XM2 tyres for my honda city, completed 28,000 kms and no noticeable difference in acceleration and pickup, but there is noticeable improvement in terms of wet grip, breaking, cornering etc. But you should be prepared to take a slight hit on fuel efficiency.

My advice would be to go for the upgrade if you like to drive and always go for better tyre brands, because it does make a lot of difference. I had 195 section accelera tyres before Michelins, and after upgrading to Michelin’s I now completely understand the importance of having better brand tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks