Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2019, 12:31   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post

Is the grip lower at speeds >120kmph, lost completely, or just unpredictable?
While 120 kmph is too much to do for Indian roads, would not want loss of grip if I happen to be there.
There is lots of tyre squeal on hard braking at speeds > 120 kmph, so its not very confidence inspiring. So 120 kmph is like an operational ceiling, although the speed rating for these tyres is much higher.
Anyway its not an issue as it is not safe to drive at >110/120 kmph however good our roads are due to the significant braking distance needed at these speeds to bring the vehicle to a halt if the situation demands.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:44   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
I have a 2016 Honda City VX variant running on stock tires Goodyear Assurance Triplemax. I had noticed that the front right tire had a bulge and upon getting it inspected by Goodyear, I was told that the tire has been damaged due to a pothole hit and won't be covered under warranty. Now I'm in a dilemma as to whether I should change only 1 tire or replace the front two tires. I'm thinking of replacing the front two tires with a new one and the spare, while keeping the slightly used front left as a spare. Is this ok? I do not want to change all 4 tires or upgrade.
I know it's a bit late but here is my reply.

If you've covered 25k or 30k kms, it makes sense to take the plunge and change all 4.

If it is just 10k or so, then just get one Goodyear and use that on the rear of the car.

I am always in favour of replacing tyres as a full set of 4. Not just 2. Of course, changing two is better than 1, but I always like ot think that all 4 corners of my car have the same grip and will react the same way when I slam the brakes in an emergency.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 02:35   #378
BHPian

I wanted to upgrade my stock City ZXi VTEC plus rims to 15". Does Honda India have a 15" rim in their accessories?
Does anyone have any information on what the rim width of the stock City wheels is?
Old 24th February 2019, 12:57   #379
BHPian

Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Ride in "V" and lower variants is better due to 15" tyres. This is my observation after I compared my V and my friend's ZX variant at the same day/time/route.
Thank you, for that is helpful information indeed, considering your effort to keep the only variable as the tyre setup. I always had a doubt considering that:
V comes with 175/65 (sidewall~113.75mm) and
VX/ZX comes with 185/55 (sidewall~101.75mm)

Maybe it's also the tyre compound - MRF ZVTV on the V versus Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 on the VX/ZX.

After two recent near misses on highways where the tyres squealed at sudden deceleration from both 120 and even 60, I've lost confidence in the EP150s and thus, tyres have moved to being first on my list of upgrades, trumping PPF.

I want better braking, ride comfort and GC, even at the cost of handling.

Shortlisted the following tyres in R16 itself
Apollo Alnac 4G - 195/55
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 205/50 or 205/55 (if the suspension allows)
Michelin Primacy 4 - 205/55 (if the suspension allows)
Michelin XM2 - 195/55
MRF Perfinza - 205/55 (if the suspension allows)
Yokohama Earth1 - 195/55

My heart says Perfinza, especially after DBHPian Nikhilb2008's outstanding impression of them, but the mind isn't sure about whether there is enough clearance at the wheel wells and struts. Unfortunately 205/55 is the lowest size that the Perfinza comes in for 16 inch wheels.
Old 25th February 2019, 09:21   #380
BHPian

Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
Unfortunately 205/55 is the lowest size that the Perfinza comes in for 16 inch wheels.
Sir, what would be the optimum upsize for the City VX 's 185/55/R16 in terms of mileage/ground clearance ?
Old 25th February 2019, 12:49   #381
BHPian

I recently updated tyres of my 2017 city ZX idtec from the oem bridgestone ecopia 185/55 R16 to Continental MC5 195/55 R16. New tyre costed 6500/- each. So far the ride is good slightly more comfortable and cushy than the bridgestones.
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20190223wa0001.jpeg
automachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 10:22   #382
Senior - BHPian

I am taking delivery of the Honda City V MT this month, and one of the main upgrades I am looking at are the tires. Some questions, especially for current users who have upgraded:

1. Are the 175 mm stock tires acceptable to use, or is an upgrade a must? Usage pattern will be 90% Bangalore city driving, highway drives for vacation one in a while. The car will not be driven very aggressively, some spirited runs every once in a while.

2. 195/60 R 15 seems to be the popular upgrade. Would Yoko Earth -1 be a good upgrade (I use this on my current Swift and quite happy with it), or would the pricier Michelins P4ST be a better choice - comfort and sturdiness of tires are the main priority.

3. Lastly, am I correct in assuming that the suspension warranty becomes void with the change in tire size? Other warranties (electrical, engine related etc) remain intact, correct?
Old 19th March 2019, 12:32   #383
BHPian

1. 175mm stock tires are workable if you want to retain warranty.

2. 195/60R15 seems to provide a more grounded ride and better feedback.

3. Check with your dealer and service location regarding warranty voiding on tire upgrade.

I upgraded after warranty period and the 175s were wearing out, so the difference in ride was more clear after upgrade.

You will have to check with others about difference in ride if you switch new 175 to new 195.
echo77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 00:15   #384
BHPian

Like many others before me, I came to this thread looking for answers on what to do about the skinny OEM tyres on my (hopefully) soon to arrive Honda City. After spending a good deal of time to go over every post on this thread and another one here: [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...e-thread.html] (Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)), I found answers to most of my questions. Summarizing my findings, in case it helps others

Why upsize?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The ANHC desperately deserves better rubber,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
175 is woefully inadequate for a car like the City.
Many people have mentioned that City is under-tyred, and the fact many lower segment cars (for example, the Baleno and Ritz we currently own) have wider tyres further accentuates this feeling.

Also, found a mention of insufficient grip on stock tyres
Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
I have currently done about 29000kms on the current set of Goodyear GT3 175/65 R15. It still has enough thread left; for about 2000kms, 3000kms max. Since its been raining a lot the past couple of weeks, I realized that I am skidding in the rain even in low speeds like 20-30kmph and the car just aqua planes.
We could argue whether City “needs” wider tyres for doing it’s job, but almost everyone would agree that 175 wide tyres are an aesthetic disaster.

What are the options?
A nice summary here [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...l#post3355693] (4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread), but I ruled out the option which lowers ground clearance (185/60 R15). Coming to the other two:
* 185/65 R15: This adds 6.5mm to the radius (or GC if you want to think of it that way), but is more than the recommended 2% limit for change in radius/circumference. Just to put 6.5mm in context - 6.5mm is slightly lower than the tread depth of a new tyre (which is around 7-8mm). Having said that, I’m sure the 2% recommendation exists for a reason, so on to the next option.
* 195/60 R15: This adds 3.25 mm to the radius and is well within the 2% margin and is the most recommended upsize on the forum.

How well will 195 wide tyres fit on the stock alloys?
The stock wheels on V (and below) are 5.5J. As per the table in this post [https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...l#post2455265] (Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!), the ideal width of tyres on 5.5J wheels is 175 or 185, and the max is 195. Most of us wouldn’t want to use an equipment at the edge of it’s operating limits. But, practical experience and advice from experts tells us that there are no issues with upsizing to 195. Quoting a few examples:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I got my HC in 2010 & upgraded to 195/60/R15 (Michelins Primacy LC) minutes after taking delivery. Never had any problem with any of the things you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
I was on OEM alloys when I upgraded to 195's which were 5.5J, with momo's I'm running 6.5J.There is absolutely no issues running 5.5J with ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Nikhil can comment here but we have lot of owners who have upgraded the tyres on stock alloys and there does not seem to be any issue. vsrivatsa is pretty happy with the way his car is handling with the 195/60R15 XM2 on stock alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I am using Michelin XM2s in the same size for over 29,000 kms now and I only have praises for them. This is coming from some one who have tried 175/65/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Yup. 100%. Those alloys and meant for 195/60 R15. You can fit 195/60 R15 even on steel wheels.

Any other issues?

One small problem with the upsize is “water splash on the doors” - One might wonder how come the same problem doesn’t occur on Vx/Zx: Tyres on Vx/Zx are 185 (and not 195) and then the stock alloys on Vx/Zx seem to have a offset difference of 2mm. This makes Vx tyre “jut-out” by only 3mm when compared to V. In case of upsize, the jutting-out will be 10mm - this 7mm difference seems to be contributing to the splash..
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVtec View Post
I too have a similar experiene with my Michelin P3 ST for my ANHC. The front doors are sprayed with a lot of slush during rains.
There was another issue mentioned in this thread, but it wasn’t concluded if it was caused by upsize or something else:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I didn't upgrade my rims …. Post the upgrade I notice that air escapes these tyres much faster than the ones I had in my old Baleno.

So, “All is well” with 195, then what’s stopping you?
Just one thing: Warranty. There are conflicting opinions on this thread, and it all comes down to your rapport with the service center. Your mileage may vary - from they not caring about the upsize to voiding warranty on anything connected to wheels - suspension, steering and what not. So, best is to talk to your specific dealer and then take a call if you want to walk down the lane with fatter tyres or not.
Upsize: If one chooses to upsize, better to go for 195 (instead of 185). And, now that we are taking a risk with the warranty - might as well splurge and get something really nice to justify the risk (say Michelin P4ST). Does the forum have any other recos?

Stay Stock: Vid6639 had mentioned that there is no point in changing the tyre if staying with the stock size. But, IMHO, if something is really bad, even small gains can help. Whether the incremental gain (because of the better tyre compound) is worth your money is your call.

However, there aren't too many choices available in the stock size - I could only find XM2 and Alnac 4G. Please let me know if there are others.

Looking forward to your comments!
Su-47 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 16:42   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Just one thing: Warranty. There are conflicting opinions on this thread, and it all comes down to your rapport with the service center. Your mileage may vary - from they not caring about the upsize to voiding warranty on anything connected to wheels - suspension, steering and what not. So, best is to talk to your specific dealer and then take a call if you want to walk down the lane with fatter tyres or not.
Upsize: If one chooses to upsize, better to go for 195 (instead of 185). And, now that we are taking a risk with the warranty - might as well splurge and get something really nice to justify the risk (say Michelin P4ST). Does the forum have any other recos?
I upsized today to Michelin Primacy 4STs on my City V. Stock tires were 175 section Goodyear Assurance. Haven't driven much since the change today morning, but most certainly the ride quality is a lot plusher, and the steering has a nice reassuring feel to it. More impressions once I clock more kilometers on the new tires.

As for warranty, two dealers independently told me that suspension warranty might go for a toss, but all other warranties remain valid. Willing to take that small risk, because I have only had good experiences over the last 7 years using 195 section tires on my Swift- better handling, better braking, better steering feel.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 17:06   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I upsized today to Michelin Primacy 4STs on my City V. Stock tires were 175 section Goodyear Assurance.

... and the steering has a nice reassuring feel to it.
Splurging away on upgrades after getting a hefty discount on the car - blissful, isnt't it? ... Glad that you are happy with the steering feel - I think you had some concerns about it eating into the ease of drive experience.

Btw, how much did you get for GY assurance and how many kms did you run on them?
Old 29th April 2019, 14:10   #387
BHPian

Upgraded My 2016 City's tyres from MRF ZVTV (175/65 R15) to Michelin Primacy 4ST (195/60 R15). The MRFs lasted for around 25k kms only even with careful driving and routine wheel balancing and alignment! Still have one regret though, should've gotten the upgrade immediately after buying. I bought the tyres at Madurai and paid Rs. 6200 per tyre. These are my observations after 2k kms of driving

Pros:
- High speed stability. I'm able to cruise easily at speeds of 120-140 kmph on the highways with confidence. The MRFs would shudder at such speeds
- Tyre noise has gone down drastically! I can now enjoy the v-tec music in peace now! The MRFs were very noisy
- Cornering capability has definitely improved. The car feels more planted while taking corners

Cons
- Fuel efficiency has gone down. There's a noticeable drop of about 1.5 kmpl.
- The car gets dirty when travelling around in sludgy areas due to the tyres sticking out slightly

Overall the pros do weigh out the cons. I'm happy with the results!
Old 20th May 2019, 00:19   #388
BHPian

Dear Enthusiasts,

My 4th gen Honda City iVtec completed about 32k KMs on Goodyear Assurance Triplemax stock tyres. Time to change the tyres now and upgrading to 195/60 R15 as highly recommended here and I completely agree with.

Now the question is - which one to buy? I have shortlisted below options in the same order as mentioned. Requirement is to have a compliant and confident ride at low and high speeds, effective breaking and possibly less road noise.
  1. Yokohama Earth-1 (195/60 R15)
  2. Michelin XM2 (195/60 R15)
  3. Continental MC5 in 195/60/15
  4. Michelin Primacy 4ST (195/60 R15)

Preference is to Yoko Earth 1 as its most VFM option and suits the purpose. Would like to hear the opinions before I take a plunge.

Thank you!

Last edited by yogesh.8984 : 20th May 2019 at 00:22.
Old 25th June 2019, 15:19   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post
Did you consider Yokohama Blue Earth AE50 tyres? I was told its better than Earth-1 tyres in terms of comfort and noise.
Old 25th June 2019, 21:08   #390
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post
Now the question is - which one to buy?
I would vote for Michelin XM2, been using it for more than 41,000 kms and I have only praises for Michelin. I have 195/60/15 section tires and the improvement in ride comfort, noise reduction, braking etc. are considerably good that the higher prices are justified.

If you have already bought tires, please let us know which one you went for.

Most Viewed