Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 1st April 2021, 11:06   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Changed the Tyre's on the Jazz yesterday. The current MRF's had aged and cracked at 30000 kms and 5.5 years.
After using the Conti's for over 2 weeks I can surely say that there is a huge difference from the old MRF's.

The ride is much smoother, Road noise on concrete roads especially over joints is down drastically. The steering has got a bit heavier which I like, the suspension feels better over potholes, grip might have improved but I am not sure since the car is driven very sedately. Milage seems to be the same around 8 to 8.5 with short city drives.

Over all the drive feels new and the difference is felt even if I am not making an effort to notice it.
Old 11th April 2021, 22:38   #197
BHPian

Hi,

I have a 2016 1.2ivtec Jazz (the current model). The tyres (OEM - Bridgestone) that came with the car are now past their prime at around 25,000km. Iíve never been happy with the OEM tyre size of 175/65 R15 (both in terms of the grip provided and aesthetics - the car looks like itís on bicycle tyres, the Jazz is a wide car and the tyres are too narrow).

After reading this thread, my choices were clearer, 195/60 or 185/65 both R15 (I donít plan to change the alloys that came with the Jazz originally). After some consideration Iíve more or less decided to go for the 195/60 R15 size for the reasons enumerated below (please feel free to correct me if Iím wrong)

1) The change in circumference is 1.1%, this means that the space saver (God forbid that I ever have to use it), which i do not plan to change will not be too different from the upgraded tyres (no instability in the drive, if I ever have to drive with the space saver)
2) The 195 tyres should take care of the Jazz looking under-tyred (if this is even a term ).
3) As the sidewall profile remains close to stock, this should prevent any increase in the vagueness of the steering (lower profile tyres do not deform as much while cornering).

However, before I do take the plunge (195/60 R15), I have a few doubts that I hope Bhpians with better knowledge and experience will be able to clear. I will list the doubts below. Any help will be much appreciated.

1) Do the 195/60 tyres cause any problems with rubbing in the wheel well, both at full compression of the suspension and on full turns of the steering wheel?
2) Is there a noticeable drop in acceleration (the petrol Jazzís Achilles heel)?
3) Are there any issues with the power steering mechanism (itís ability to cope with the added resistance of 11% more rubber)? Iíve seen people upgrading the power steering on Wranglers after upsizing their tyres (granted that the upsizing is much more than a 11% change).
4) Is there any drop in the handling due to increase in the unsprung weight (granted, I might be overthinking it here)?
5) How does the suspension cope with tyre, especially over potholes and mountainous speed bumps?
6) Is there a huge drop in fuel economy (i currently get about 9km/l in the city)?
7) Is there a change in the recommended tyre PSI from the OEM to the upsized 195/60 tyre?
8) Should I stick to the speed rating of the OEM tyre or should I go better?

Thank you in advance.
AnAvgJoe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:21   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

I am on my second set of 195/60 tires on my Jazz. Dont worry about the shift, but since you listed your questions, let me try to answer them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvgJoe View Post
1) Do the 195/60 tyres cause any problems with rubbing in the wheel well, both at full compression of the suspension and on full turns of the steering wheel?
No issues in 5 1/2 years.

Quote:
2) Is there a noticeable drop in acceleration (the petrol Jazzís Achilles heel)?
I shifted on day 1, so I cant really say. But I did find the steering gets a little heavier. In my books, that is a good thing.

Quote:
3) Are there any issues with the power steering mechanism (itís ability to cope with the added resistance of 11% more rubber)? Iíve seen people upgrading the power steering on Wranglers after upsizing their tyres (granted that the upsizing is much more than a 11% change).
Not observed to date.

Quote:
4) Is there any drop in the handling due to increase in the unsprung weight (granted, I might be overthinking it here)?
It handles better since the steering doesnt feel super light.

Quote:
5) How does the suspension cope with tyre, especially over potholes and mountainous speed bumps?
No issues.

Quote:
6) Is there a huge drop in fuel economy (i currently get about 9km/l in the city)?
Over the last 11 tankfulls, I have been getting an actual mileage of 11.23 kmpl in city conditions.

Quote:
7) Is there a change in the recommended tyre PSI from the OEM to the upsized 195/60 tyre?
I go between 31 - 33 depending on the petrol pump that I top the air from.

Quote:
8) Should I stick to the speed rating of the OEM tyre or should I go better?
If it has the same minimum speed rating, you are fine. The Jazz isnt a hot performer anyways.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 20:19   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am on my second set of 195/60 tires on my Jazz. Dont worry about the shift, but since you listed your questions, let me try to answer them.

Thank you for the response. You’ve put my mind at ease. I can now go for the 195/60 R15 with a lot more confidence and peace of mind.

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2021 at 20:25. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 12th May 2021, 23:23   #200
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade the rubber of my SV IVTEC (comes with steel rims) with 195/60/R15s.

On a side note, one of the original Honda wheel caps came off in traffic and I didn't realize it till I reached home.

Is there a way to source the original wheel caps in loose online? Honda service center quotes approx 5k for 4 wheel caps

Has anyone had experience with aftermarket wheel caps? Do they hold well?

Most Viewed