Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2014, 09:16   #1
BHPian

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi,

Need inputs from people who have changed their stock tyres 175/65/R15 to 195/60/R15 on stock alloy wheels on the Honda Jazz.

Would like to know the impact on Fuel efficiency, Handling and acceleration, have stock Goodyear GT3, not happy. Considering Continental CPC2.

Thanks in advance

Kenneth

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2014 at 14:37. Reason: Typo
Old 26th January 2014, 13:39   #2
BHPian

re: Honda Jazz : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade daebis

Avoid CPC2

My cousin had put them in a swift and near friend in a civic. Both had not so good experiences and life of tyre was too bad and they became very noisy after 10000 kms

If you don't want a very sporty tyre try the XM2. I have installed it in my Fiat petra and so far they are doing good. Allthough its just 2 months since I got the tyres installed but you can refer to other reviews of the XM2.

My car had the same stock size and I installed 185 65R 14 ( I know ideal size should be 185 60R 14) but I wanted more comfort oriented ride

Braking is just too good comparing old bridgestones and average has increased by atleast 10 percent comparing old tyres
rikhav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 12:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in the same boat as my Jazz has done 40k km on the stock GT3.

While I would love to try Vredestein Sportrac 195/60R15, budget constraints mean I will switch to Michelin XM2 or Yokohama Earth One. Preferred size 185/65R15, for the reasons mentioned below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
My car had the same stock size and I installed 185 65R 14 ( I know ideal size should be 185 60R 14) but I wanted more comfort oriented ride
@rikhav, It should be R15, and not R14. Stock size is 175/65R15
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 21:05   #4
BHPian

Michelin XM2 are not available for 195/60 r15 size. You will get Michelin Primacy LC in that size. I would say Yokohoma A-drives would be a pretty good option.

The CPC2 have mixed reviews.
Old 27th January 2014, 22:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Michelin XM2 are not available for 195/60 r15 size. You will get Michelin Primacy LC in that size. I would say Yokohoma A-drives would be a pretty good option.

The CPC2 have mixed reviews.
Michelin Energy XM2 is present in 195/60R15 size as per company's website. Thanks.
vvrchandra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 12:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Michelin Energy XM2 is present in 195/60R15 size as per company's website. Thanks.
Just checked, you're right, its available. Just about 6 months ago I was searching desperately for XM2's for my Fusion which has that size as stock, the website as well as all tyre vendors at that time confirmed that I will not get XM2's in 195/65R15 size. Only Primacy LC. Hadn't checked again, Michelin seems to have started supplying just as I gave up and put Bridgestone Potenza's.

Cheers.
Old 5th February 2014, 08:36   #7
BHPian

Have chosen stock size XM2, done 1400Kms in the last one week. Very happy with the performance , thank you for your inputs.

Kenneth
Old 27th February 2014, 20:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City: Tyre Upgrade

I am planning to change/upgrade tires for my Honda Jazz.
I have Michelin XM1 and I have been mostly happy with those. So, the logical upgrade would be XM2.

I have 2 questions -
1> 185/65 or 195/60. I am thinking of 185/65 for better GC and slightly softer ride though 195/60 is the best fit.
2> What options among other brands? I am looking for comfort and durability mainly...,,I expect all the major brands would provide acceptable grip levels.
Old 1st March 2014, 13:04   #9
BHPian

I think most of the Jazz owners are looking to change the tyres.

I was more thinking on Michelin PS3ST 195/60R15, just concerned about some points:

1) Soft side walls had one tyre bulge in Michelin 175/65
2) FE
3) How will car look with the above shoes, if any one has used 195/60 for there Jazz please can you post some pictures of your ride.
Old 1st March 2014, 14:34   #10
BHPian

I changed the tyres from stock MRFs to Yokohama C Drive 195/60 R15 and have drive about 16K kms and quite happy with it. I did not see any dip in mileage and the grip and handling was much better. Initially the C Drive was on stock steel rims and later I changed to 15x7J alloys and could see further improvement.
Old 13th April 2014, 12:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good everyday tyres for Honda Jazz

2010 Honda Jazz running on Michelin XM1+ done 60K now. My requirements are

1. Noise. Road noise is a priority for me. I would prefer low road noise throughout the tyre life than have low noise in the beginning which increases gradually.

2. Rolling resistance- Honda's have a problem with Low-end torque and Jazz being used frequently in the city needs frequent bursts of low end torque. So I would prefer a tyre with lowest rolling resistance and unsprung weight and save that smallest bit of lost torque.

3. I love driving and appreciate good road feedback from the tyres and suspension. This does not mean that I drive fast or rough but I love to drive a good handling car.

Size options : 185/65 or 195/60 R15 on stock alloy wheels.

1. Goodyear assurance vs. Assurance fuelmax? Is the Assurance Fuelmax just the same tyre with added Silica for lower rolling resistance?

2. Apollo Alnac4G or Accelere. The website doesnt say which tyre is better at what.

3. MRF Z.LO

4. Goodyear EAGLE F1 GSD3

5. Bridgestone Potenza GIII/ My-01/ MY-02

I would prefer top 3 instead of 1 tyre choice since not all tyres are always available at the shop I get my work done.
devarshi84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 14:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Good everyday tyres for Honda Jazz

Typically, with low rolling resistance tyres, your ability to brake is seriously hampered so I'd stick with the best:

1. Yokohama Earth1
2. Yokohama A.Drives
3. Michelin Energy XM2
Old 13th April 2014, 15:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Typically, with low rolling resistance tyres, your ability to brake is seriously hampered so I'd stick with the best:

1. Yokohama Earth1
2. Yokohama A.Drives
3. Michelin Energy XM2
Not true one bit. I hope you dont seriously believe this fact. You think if safety was compromised the biggest manufacturers in the world would continue to make tyres like this?

Also, the tyres have mentioned ALL use Silica and claim to have low rolling resistance. Especially the XM2 and the Earth 1.

For most buyers, the braking efficiency is far more important than the so called savings in fuel.

Devarshi,

Dont get too taken in by the hype of the marketing campaigns and low rolling resistance and what not.

Go with whatever is in your budget.

If you want a comfort tyre, the Earth 1 and the XM2 are the best. For performance, the ZLO will be a good choice. The A Drive is an old pattern and not something I will recommend unless Earth 1 is unavailable in your required size.

goodyear Assurance is also a good tyre.

Avoid the GSD3 and Bridgestone Potenza GIII as these are very noisy.

The My02 is also a good option.

Not much to choose between the tyres. It finally boils down to your budget and brand preference.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 16:49   #14
BHPian

Alnac 4G tyres are very difficult to source. Even if you can the mfg date will be quite earlier. In addition to what Nikhil recommended you could look at -1
- C Drives (Yoko)
- AVS DB (Yoko)
Old 13th April 2014, 17:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Not true one bit. I hope you dont seriously believe this fact. You think if safety was compromised the biggest manufacturers in the world would continue to make tyres like this?

Also, the tyres have mentioned ALL use Silica and claim to have low rolling resistance. Especially the XM2 and the Earth 1.

For most buyers, the braking efficiency is far more important than the so called savings in fuel.
Sorry I might not be as educated in this field, however, I'm now having trouble understanding this: Tyres with low rolling resistance obviously use a less grippy rubber compound and may have different tread patterns in the pursuit of less friction. At the same time they brake and handle as well as your regular radials? This is really confusing mate, why would they even bother inventing performance tyres then?

I thought it is widely accepted that low rolling resistance tyres do have slightly longer braking distances and things only get worse in wet weather conditions in comparison to regular tyres.

This video also clearly states that the Continental contiprocontact and the Yokohama AVID TRZ, both perform better in terms of steering response, and wet weather traction when compared to the other two tyres which offer more fuel efficiency. Also, the video shows that the gains in fuel savings is very negligible.

I personally have never bothered with low rolling resistance tyres but if you can actually provide some useful links I'd be more than happy to recommend eco tyres for the cheaper cars in the family
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed