Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2015, 19:24   #61
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Ok fellas, now that I've booked a Carnelian Red Jazz, I need some urgent help in picking the lesser of the known evils.

MRF ZVTS or Goodyears GT3? An upgrade isn't on the cards for sure! Have read countless reviews on teambhp, teamfiat etc etc since yesterday. Where the feedback on the MRFs is consistent(that they are super hard, noisy and indestructible), for GT3 it's mixed. Ranging from fabulous to oh-hum!

Please help me out with this quandary. Could someone please enlist the pros and cons for each of these based on personal experience? Which one has better grip + lower road noise?

I know choosing one from the above is like taking a pick from getting shot in the chest or in the head !

P.S. The car will primarily be for city runs. Very rarely ( say, once a year), it might see a highway trip of 1000 odd kms.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 19th December 2015 at 19:43.
Old 19th December 2015, 20:11   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Ok fellas, now that I've booked a Carnelian Red Jazz, I need some urgent help in picking the lesser of the known evils.

MRF ZVTS or Goodyears GT3? An upgrade isn't on the cards for sure! Have read countless reviews on teambhp, teamfiat etc etc since yesterday. Where the feedback on the MRFs is consistent(that they are super hard, noisy and indestructible), for GT3 it's mixed. Ranging from fabulous to oh-hum!

Please help me out with this quandary. Could someone please enlist the pros and cons for each of these based on personal experience? Which one has better grip + lower road noise?

I know choosing one from the above is like taking a pick from getting shot in the chest or in the head !

P.S. The car will primarily be for city runs. Very rarely ( say, once a year), it might see a highway trip of 1000 odd kms.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Hi Shivang! Congrats on your new car! Considering you'll be using the car within mumbai, the MRFs should be okay! I'm on Michelins since last 5 years and the times now come for change. I do frequent the expressway and the XM1 and the cars as surefooted as a mountain goat

If you do plan a upgrade, may I suggest you to the Michelin XM2 range or, the latest primacy series!

Last edited by freak1201 : 19th December 2015 at 20:12. Reason: Damn Autocorrect!
freak1201 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 20:14   #63
BHPian

Ok so, after a PDI today, I confirm that my car has the Goodyear Assurance tires and not the GT3s (our forum member WasavaTyres confirmed that the GT3s were discontinued around 2months ago. Could this be the reason?) as feared originally.

Any word on how these fare compared to the Michelins?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Old 24th December 2015, 12:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach2 View Post
Hello Adabass,

Please let me know how has been your experience with Michelin Primacy 3 ST so far. I am thinking of putting the same on my Jazz.
Dealer has quoted 5850 in exchange of current ones. Price seems okay to me. Will still try to negotiate more.
Also let me know if you got any warranty on Michelin tyres.

Thanks in advance.
Well, the goodness continues. The mileage is consistently 14+ even in city conditions which is a about 0.5/l more than previous tires. The cabin noise is lesser and the car feels more assured on turns as well. Overall, I am pretty happy with my purchase as of now. It has been about 1000kms, so still a long way to go.
Old 7th February 2016, 19:25   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabass View Post
He then showed me the Michelin Primacy3 ST 195/60 R15 88V and told me about lesser road noise and increase mileage (?) with the tyres....
Does upgrading to 195/60 bring down the ground clearance in any way ?
I live in Bangalore where there are a lot of insanely sized speed breakers , so that is one mistake I don't want to make.
Old 7th February 2016, 23:32   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adabass View Post
So I went to the michelin dealer and asked for XM2. He had the 175/65, 185/65 but no 195/60. He then showed me the Michelin Primacy3 ST 195/60 R15 88V and told me about lesser road noise and increase mileage (?) with the tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Find the comparison chat between 175/65 R15 vs 195/60 R15

Name:  ForumRunner_20160207_233234.png
Views: 10432
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20160207_233239.png
Views: 7900
Size:  46.6 KB

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th February 2016 at 23:33.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 11:08   #67
KYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I live in Bangalore where there are a lot of insanely sized speed breakers , so that is one mistake I don't want to make.
I too am very concerned with ground clearance and every centimetre of ground clearance is vital where I live. It really "physically" hurts when I hear/feel the call bottom out, even if its the slightest touch. So certainly can't afford to loose any clearance and even a little gain would be welcome. On the other hand, i guess the cars engine and gear rationed is designed wit a final tyre size in mind, so wouldn't want to veer off to from the original tyre diameter specification.

195/60/15 - closest to original tyre diameter
185/65/15 - slightly larger that original tyre diameter

I need to get a set of new tyres really soon and I'm torn between these two options. Any advice on this from others with a Jazz that have tried any of these two options would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th March 2016, 11:24   #68
KYG

Has anyone with a Jazz (2011) model put this 185/65/15 tyre on their car?
There are some earlier posts mentioning this tyre, but haven't found any feedback on the result. A 185/65/15, being slightly larger in diameter.

- Does it rub/touch anywhere inside the wheel well on full steering lock?
- Does it rub/touch anywhere when the car is loaded with 4 people?
- Also the Jazz delivering torque only at slightly higher revs for its weight (typical I VTEC), does the slightly larger diameter tyre feel any different when taking off from stand still or in very slow moving traffic?

Please share your input if you have put 185/65/15 tyre on your Honda Jazz.
Thanks.
KYG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 09:40   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYG View Post
Has anyone with a Jazz (2011) model put this 185/65/15 tyre on their car?
There are some earlier posts mentioning this tyre, but haven't found any feedback on the result. A 185/65/15, being slightly larger in diameter.

- Does it rub/touch anywhere inside the wheel well on full steering lock?
- Does it rub/touch anywhere when the car is loaded with 4 people?
- Also the Jazz delivering torque only at slightly higher revs for its weight (typical I VTEC), does the slightly larger diameter tyre feel any different when taking off from stand still or in very slow moving traffic?

Please share your input if you have put 185/65/15 tyre on your Honda Jazz.
Thanks.
Hello,

Currently I am having 185/60/R15 on my Jazz and it reduced GC by 3 mm compared to stock tyres. Now planning to upgrade to 195/60/R15 which offer 3mm GC over stock tyres I.e. 6 mm more than current GC

With 185/60/R15 my car used to scrape a lot on speed breakers but that was also because of worn suspension. GC increased after I put spring coil buffers and suspension performance too.
Although tyre did not rub any body part during turning (steering turned completely) and when loaded fully (5 adults + boot luggage)

Reg torque, I always felt that has been only negative of Jazz. Yes, torque feels bit low while overtaking at lower rpm's. But when you hit 3k rpm it moves with a lot of confidence.
Hope it helps.
mach2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 12:33   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach2 View Post
Hello,

Currently I am having 185/60/R15 on my Jazz and it reduced GC by 3 mm compared to stock tyres. Now planning to upgrade to 195/60/R15 which offer 3mm GC over stock tyres I.e. 6 mm more than current GC

With 185/60/R15 my car used to scrape a lot on speed breakers but that was also because of worn suspension. GC increased after I put spring coil buffers and suspension performance too.
Although tyre did not rub any body part during turning (steering turned completely) and when loaded fully (5 adults + boot luggage)

Reg torque, I always felt that has been only negative of Jazz. Yes, torque feels bit low while overtaking at lower rpm's. But when you hit 3k rpm it moves with a lot of confidence.
Hope it helps.
Hey,
Which tyres are you on? I'm running on Michelin XM1. And yes, the torque is low, I end up revving her harder. What would you suggest in increasing the torque for it? Any performance mods? Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 10:19   #71
KYG

"Any performance mods?" -- The Honda I VTEC technology requires raves for the extra power. So, although I'm sure some mods could increase performance, it would be more on the overall power and not on the low end torque. From my understanding the I VTEC works by opening more valves when the engine revs go up. So the more revs the more power output (not the same, but along the same power delivery lines as the output of a turbo). On the Jazz I VTEC I think this is a mechanical system and not operated by digitally controlled actuators (could be wrong on this) so a mod to bring down the extra valve operation at lower revs would be a pretty big deal physical engine job. The other down side is that it would use a lot more gas shattering the relatively good KPL.
Conclusion, if you are after some easy performance, look out for a some software mods otherwise leave the engine alone and keep the revs up and smile.
Old 24th March 2016, 23:47   #72
KYG

Re: 4th-gen Honda City: Tyre Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am planning to change/upgrade tires for my Honda Jazz.
I have Michelin XM1 and I have been mostly happy with those. So, the logical upgrade would be XM2.

I have 2 questions -
1> 185/65 or 195/60. I am thinking of 185/65 for better GC and slightly softer ride though 195/60 is the best fit.
2> What options among other brands? I am looking for comfort and durability mainly...,,I expect all the major brands would provide acceptable grip levels.
"185/65 or 195/60. I am thinking of 185/65 for better GC and slightly softer ride though 195/60 is the best fit." -- What did you finally put under? Are you happy with your choice or would you have done the other of the two options. Your experience would be great here. Thanks.
Old 19th April 2016, 10:38   #73
KYG

I decided that, just go OEM sizing and that's gone be fine and easy to replace should I ever run into trouble of a road trip or whatever. I’ve been online, every reputable brand markets themselves as the best this that or the other. But to me they all have similar features.
Of the following options for 175/65/R15, which has "look" the largest on the car in terms of tyre width?

> Continental: Comfort Contact - CC5
> Yokohama: Earth-1
> Michelin: XM2
Old 19th April 2016, 16:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Just upgraded my Jazz's legs to 195/60 R15 Yokohama Earth-1s from the stock MRF ZVTV 175/65 R15. Cost = Rs. 4,750 per tyre; valves and weights additional. Got it done from Popular Tyres and Accessories (Malad West, Mumbai); all 5 tyres have been changed.

Here's a few first impressions after using them for around 100 km.

- Road noise: Around 5% less, but switch off the sound system and you can hear a fair amount of echo, especially on concrete.

- Steering: Heavier by around 5%. Feels more direct and you get "more turn per turn"

- Performance: Minor difference noticeable. Have to push the A-pedal a little harder after the upsize. Not a massive difference though.

- Ride quality: Around 20% improvement. On smooth roads, there's a little more upward/downwarn movement (about 2% more), but rough patches are handled with much more confidence. Less dive at speed breakers too.

- Handling: Jazz steering didn't offer much feedback anyway, so no real change there. Steering is more direct though and there's a tangible improvement in understeer control. Old tyres would understeer very easily.

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-5.jpg

The look - MRF (top) vs Yokohama (bottom):
Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-untitled2.jpg

New Earth-1 (left) vs ZVTV (right) with around 34,000 km of usage:
Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-untitled3.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 19th April 2016 at 16:05.
Tushar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 08:13   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Just upgraded my Jazz's legs to 195/60 R15 Yokohama Earth-1s from the stock MRF ZVTV 175/65 R15. Cost = Rs. 4,750 per tyre; valves and weights additional. Got it done from Popular Tyres and Accessories (Malad West, Mumbai); all 5 tyres have been changed.

Here's a few first impressions after using them for around 100 km.

- Road noise: Around 5% less, but switch off the sound system and you can hear a fair amount of echo, especially on concrete.

- Steering: Heavier by around 5%. Feels more direct and you get "more turn per turn"

- Performance: Minor difference noticeable. Have to push the A-pedal a little harder after the upsize. Not a massive difference though.

- Ride quality: Around 20% improvement. On smooth roads, there's a little more upward/downwarn movement (about 2% more), but rough patches are handled with much more confidence. Less dive at speed breakers too.

- Handling: Jazz steering didn't offer much feedback anyway, so no real change there. Steering is more direct though and there's a tangible improvement in understeer control. Old tyres would understeer very easily.

Attachment 1498842

The look - MRF (top) vs Yokohama (bottom):
Attachment 1498843

New Earth-1 (left) vs ZVTV (right) with around 34,000 km of usage:
Attachment 1498844
Any specific reason over choosing the Yokohama's over the Michelin's or any other brand? I'm thinking of going for Michelin XM2's, exactly of the same size. Can you tell me what other options you had in mind before finalizing on the Yokohama?
P.S.: I live in Kandivali.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks